What's new

Authorities seize chocolates from passenger at Jinnah International Airport, Karachi

628cbfa26d930.jpg

Authorities at Jinnah International Airport, Karachi confiscated chocolates and confectionery items from a passenger on Monday, a development that raises questions on whether the ban on 38 imported items imposed by the government last week extends to personal items being brought by travellers in their luggage.

As per the Federal Board of Revenue's (FBR) receipt, 5kg of food stuff was detained from a passenger coming from Dubai under SRO 598(I)/2022.

The food was seized for "contravention of Custom Acts/ITC Regulations /Foreign Exchange Regulations/ Allied Laws."

628ccba5c3b08.jpg

Last week, the government imposed a ban on the import of all non-essential luxury items in its effort to steer the country out of its existing financial crisis. A bulging import bill is part of the problem.

Import ban: Commerce ministry notifies list of 38 items

According to the list, a ban was imposed on the import of mobile phones CBU, home appliances, cosmetics, crockery, pet food, private weapons and ammunition, shoes, chandeliers and lighting (except energy savers), headphones and loudspeakers, doors and window frames, travelling bags and suitcases, sanitary ware, carpets (except from Afghanistan), tissue paper, furniture, shampoos, automobiles (CBU), luxury mattresses and sleeping bags, bathroom ware/toiletries, heaters/blowers, sunglasses, kitchenware, cigarettes, shaving goods, luxury leather apparel, musical instruments, saloon items like hairdryers and decoration/ornamental articles.

The Commerce Ministry also imposed a ban on the import of confectionery, jams and jelly, fish and frozen fish, sauces, ketchup etc, fruits and dry fruits (except from Afghanistan), preserved fruits, cornflakes, frozen meat, juices, pasta, aerated water, ice cream and chocolates (in retail packing).

However, the prohibition under this order shall not apply on the imports in Pak rupees or imports through the barter mechanism through land routes, the notification said.

The imports of products listed shall remain prohibited regardless of their import status elsewhere in the Import Policy Order 2022, the notification added.

Situation must be pretty bad, last time I heard of chocolate getting confiscated was by Israel taking Palestinian chocolates headed for Gaza on suspicion they were going to get used for funding terrorism :(

One may be inclined to call these officers ill trained, or ill educated,
fact of the matter is that they are very clever,
There is a clear distinction amongst an expat Pakistani and someone who trades in foreign goods.
People like myself may decide to move back, and as per the law, we are entitled to bring our belongings under transfer or residence scheme,
We have already been taxed by our host country.
Now because of this grey area left out, custom officials will make "money"
under the chai paani premise.

if FBR can't even make the regulations right, then there is no way they can do anything else right.

I suppose everyone will just start packaging all their chocolates in sealed fruit bags labelled 'Product of Afghanistan' now :rolleyes:

Chalo acha ha overseas pakistanis got excuse now to not bring any gifts haha
But feel sorry for the children who expect some candies and chocolates from family overseas

1) Could someone clarify the mobile phone ban? Does this still apply to phones that are to be used by passengers and visitors and not gifts?

2) Is there a charge at the airport that foreigners must pay before departing the country?

Last edited:
1) Could someone clarify the mobile phone ban? Does this still apply to phones that are to be used by passengers and visitors and not gifts?

2) Is there a charge at the airport that foreigners must pay before foreigners must pay before departing the country?
I don’t think there’s a ban.
Nothing required on departure

I think theres a bit of confusion, you can bring chocolates that's fine and all those items listed, just not in big numbers with the intent of selling.

5kg is big number for selling? People on average take more than that as gifts for relatives!

628cbfa26d930.jpg

Authorities at Jinnah International Airport, Karachi confiscated chocolates and confectionery items from a passenger on Monday, a development that raises questions on whether the ban on 38 imported items imposed by the government last week extends to personal items being brought by travellers in their luggage.

As per the Federal Board of Revenue's (FBR) receipt, 5kg of food stuff was detained from a passenger coming from Dubai under SRO 598(I)/2022.

The food was seized for "contravention of Custom Acts/ITC Regulations /Foreign Exchange Regulations/ Allied Laws."

628ccba5c3b08.jpg

Last week, the government imposed a ban on the import of all non-essential luxury items in its effort to steer the country out of its existing financial crisis. A bulging import bill is part of the problem.

Import ban: Commerce ministry notifies list of 38 items

According to the list, a ban was imposed on the import of mobile phones CBU, home appliances, cosmetics, crockery, pet food, private weapons and ammunition, shoes, chandeliers and lighting (except energy savers), headphones and loudspeakers, doors and window frames, travelling bags and suitcases, sanitary ware, carpets (except from Afghanistan), tissue paper, furniture, shampoos, automobiles (CBU), luxury mattresses and sleeping bags, bathroom ware/toiletries, heaters/blowers, sunglasses, kitchenware, cigarettes, shaving goods, luxury leather apparel, musical instruments, saloon items like hairdryers and decoration/ornamental articles.

The Commerce Ministry also imposed a ban on the import of confectionery, jams and jelly, fish and frozen fish, sauces, ketchup etc, fruits and dry fruits (except from Afghanistan), preserved fruits, cornflakes, frozen meat, juices, pasta, aerated water, ice cream and chocolates (in retail packing).

However, the prohibition under this order shall not apply on the imports in Pak rupees or imports through the barter mechanism through land routes, the notification said.

The imports of products listed shall remain prohibited regardless of their import status elsewhere in the Import Policy Order 2022, the notification added.

Situation must be pretty bad, last time I heard of chocolate getting confiscated was by Israel taking Palestinian chocolates headed for Gaza on suspicion they were going to get used for funding terrorism :(
Seriously its joke... godamn it ...this is his personal baggage.. He is not sending dollars out of country to import such a massive amount of container full of chocs..

I think theres a bit of confusion, you can bring chocolates that's fine and all those items listed, just not in big numbers with the intent of selling.
Still , this is his personal baggage ,,he didn t open LC to import and paid in dollars to bring these candies..

i bring my piss in a bottle mixed with fizzy drink so customs can give to their wives n children.

Thing is a bribed traitor quam cant produce anything of value so how this going to help economy. what does pak produce under sharifs except chors.

poison is great weapon to teach bribe officer, here have some choclaate and driiinnk coka coola piyu.

maybe laxative

1653848024632.png

poison is great weapon to teach bribe officer, here have some choclaate and driiinnk coka coola piyu.

maybe laxative

View attachment 849043

My grandfather was a customs officer in the 60’s in Karachi. He ended up going back to his village in Punjab and farming because he didn’t want to take bribe money. He did pick up the nasty habit of smoking cigarettes as they would put the money in cigarette boxes.

My grandfather was a customs officer in the 60’s in Karachi. He ended up going back to his village in Punjab and farming because he didn’t want to take bribe money. He did pick up the nasty habit of smoking cigarettes as they would put the money in cigarette boxes.

your grandad n me same mindset except i cant go back to farm, no money plus trying to give up cigs plus relative are chors so land will be problem.

Who will teach these haramkhor custom agents that this is not an import

Back
Top Bottom