What's new

Australia's first Muslim frontbencher abused for "taking oath on Quran"

Kompromat

ADMINISTRATOR
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
'Shame, shame, shame': Australia's first Muslim frontbencher abused for taking oath on Koran

Date-July 2, 2013 - 12:22PM

The Prime Minister's new parliamentary secretary, Ed Husic, has been subjected to a torrent of abuse online for being sworn in to his position with a Koran.Mr Husic became Australia's first Muslim frontbencher on Monday when he was appointed to Kevin Rudd's new-look ministry as parliamentary secretary to the Prime Minister and parliamentary secretary for broadband."This is a wonderful day for multiculturalism, and everything it stands for in our country," Governor-General Quentin Bryce told Mr Husic during the swearing-in ceremony in Canberra on Monday.

art-748336384-620x349.jpg

However, after receiving dozens of messages of congratulations on his Facebook page, the comments quickly turned to disgust and outrage that he had chosen to be sworn in on the Muslim holy book. "Some called it un-Australian and unconstitutional". "Our allegiance should have been to Queen and Country first Ed. That means saying the oath on the holy bible not the Koran....Shame, Shame, Shame," posted one user, Ross Peace. "I am so disappointed in this government that they don't have the spine to stand up for the Australian way of life."

Ed Husic, with the copy of the Koran with which he was sworn in as a parliamentary secretary. Another user, Therese Pearce, said she was "disgusted and embarrassed" for the Australian people."Hell i might just have to use snow white and the 7 dwarfs next time i take the oath for australia," she posted.One user, Anna Dean, claimed his decision to be sworn in on the Koran undermined "our culture and country and constitution in this way".Another user, Carrie Forrest, accused him of disregarding Australia's constitution and pushing for sharia.

Mr Husic has previously said that he is a moderate Muslim who does not involve himself heavily with most of the religious customs and behaviours of the faith.Asked about his religion in 2010, he told the ABC: "If someone asks me, 'Are you Muslim?' I say yes. And then if someone says, 'Well do you pray and go to a mosque and do all the other things that are associated with the faith?' I say no."I often get told that I describe myself as non-practising when in actual fact I don't go round saying that. Like I just say 'I'm Muslim.' " President of the Anti-Discrimination Board and chairman of the NSW Community Relations Commission Stepan Kerkyasharian said it was "a sad day for any society" when someone is abused because of their religion.He said Mr Husic could act as a valuable bridge between the Muslim community and would put Australia at an advantage in the international community.

art-353-748336369-300x0.jpg

"It should be an interesting and positive milestone that someone of migrant heritage has come to Australia and has now, through our democratic process, reached a position of leadership," he said.Mr Husic, 43, the son of Bosnian Muslim migrants, became the first Muslim to be elected to Parliament when he won his western Sydney seat of Chifley in the 2010 election with 51.58 per cent of votes, almost double that of his next competitor.In 2010, he was sworn into Federal Parliament alongside members from several religions. Kooyong member Josh Frydenberg and Melbourne Ports member Michael Danby were sworn in on the Jewish bible

Lawyer and community rights advocate Mariam Veiszadeh said there was too often an assumption that being a good Australian citizen and a good Muslim were "mutually exclusive concepts". "You can be a devout Jew and a good Australian parliamentarian who serves your country just as equally as you can be a practising Muslim and a good Australian citizen and politician," she said.
"It is ignorant for people to conflate irrelevant issues and it stems from the Muslim bashing that has been going on in this country for a decade."
Fairfax Media is seeking comment from Mr Husic.

'Shame, shame, shame': Australia's first Muslim frontbencher abused for taking oath on Koran

Meet Ed Husic

Idiots! He is more likely to take his oath seriously because he swore on something very important to him,he could have swore on the Bible and not give 2 cents on it,for him it's a piece of paper with no relevance.People sure find the most trivial things to pick on.

He sworn oath on his own religious book to which he will be more loyal but making a Muslim take oath from bible is like a Christian taking oath on vedas! really a moment of shame for those who abused him its like disrespecting your country!

Asked about his religion in 2010, he told the ABC: "If someone asks me, 'Are you Muslim?' I say yes. And then if someone says, 'Well do you pray and go to a mosque and do all the other things that are associated with the faith?' I say no."I often get told that I describe myself as non-practising when in actual fact I don't go round saying that. Like I just say 'I'm Muslim.'

and still took Oath on QURAN ..

There will always be the odd red neck bogan crying foul. Good thing is all the leaders, including the opposition, have spoken up in support of Ed Husic.

Date-July 2, 2013 - 12:22PM

The Prime Minister's new parliamentary secretary, Ed Husic, has been subjected to a torrent of abuse online for being sworn in to his position with a Koran.Mr Husic became Australia's first Muslim frontbencher on Monday when he was appointed to Kevin Rudd's new-look ministry as parliamentary secretary to the Prime Minister and parliamentary secretary for broadband."This is a wonderful day for multiculturalism, and everything it stands for in our country," Governor-General Quentin Bryce told Mr Husic during the swearing-in ceremony in Canberra on Monday.

art-748336384-620x349.jpg

However, after receiving dozens of messages of congratulations on his Facebook page, the comments quickly turned to disgust and outrage that he had chosen to be sworn in on the Muslim holy book. "Some called it un-Australian and unconstitutional". "Our allegiance should have been to Queen and Country first Ed. That means saying the oath on the holy bible not the Koran....Shame, Shame, Shame," posted one user, Ross Peace. "I am so disappointed in this government that they don't have the spine to stand up for the Australian way of life."

Ed Husic, with the copy of the Koran with which he was sworn in as a parliamentary secretary. Another user, Therese Pearce, said she was "disgusted and embarrassed" for the Australian people."Hell i might just have to use snow white and the 7 dwarfs next time i take the oath for australia," she posted.One user, Anna Dean, claimed his decision to be sworn in on the Koran undermined "our culture and country and constitution in this way".Another user, Carrie Forrest, accused him of disregarding Australia's constitution and pushing for sharia.

Mr Husic has previously said that he is a moderate Muslim who does not involve himself heavily with most of the religious customs and behaviours of the faith.Asked about his religion in 2010, he told the ABC: "If someone asks me, 'Are you Muslim?' I say yes. And then if someone says, 'Well do you pray and go to a mosque and do all the other things that are associated with the faith?' I say no."I often get told that I describe myself as non-practising when in actual fact I don't go round saying that. Like I just say 'I'm Muslim.' " President of the Anti-Discrimination Board and chairman of the NSW Community Relations Commission Stepan Kerkyasharian said it was "a sad day for any society" when someone is abused because of their religion.He said Mr Husic could act as a valuable bridge between the Muslim community and would put Australia at an advantage in the international community.

art-353-748336369-300x0.jpg

"It should be an interesting and positive milestone that someone of migrant heritage has come to Australia and has now, through our democratic process, reached a position of leadership," he said.Mr Husic, 43, the son of Bosnian Muslim migrants, became the first Muslim to be elected to Parliament when he won his western Sydney seat of Chifley in the 2010 election with 51.58 per cent of votes, almost double that of his next competitor.In 2010, he was sworn into Federal Parliament alongside members from several religions. Kooyong member Josh Frydenberg and Melbourne Ports member Michael Danby were sworn in on the Jewish bible

Lawyer and community rights advocate Mariam Veiszadeh said there was too often an assumption that being a good Australian citizen and a good Muslim were "mutually exclusive concepts". "You can be a devout Jew and a good Australian parliamentarian who serves your country just as equally as you can be a practising Muslim and a good Australian citizen and politician," she said.
"It is ignorant for people to conflate irrelevant issues and it stems from the Muslim bashing that has been going on in this country for a decade."
Fairfax Media is seeking comment from Mr Husic.

Meet Ed Husic
He looks like a convert to Islam but still good I hope he does something for Muslims in Australia and also other communities

He looks like a convert to Islam but still good I hope he does something for Muslims in Australia and also other communities

He is not. He is a Bosniak Muslim and his full name is Edham Nurredin Husic

There were few illiterate bogans chanting slogans against him but majority of people have welcomed this.
Go check his Facebook page.

This is what happens when you let Bosniaks in.

What's that suppose to mean?

Government Ministers/Secretaries shouldn't be swearing on any sort of religious book. Religion should stay the hell out of Government. I don't want laws based on religious teachings.

We only need to look at Countries in the Middle East, the U.S and elsewhere to see what happens when governments are influenced by stupid religion.

Australians like a secular government, so you can see why there is an outburst also the added factor that muslim immigrants to the country haven't been exactly the best in terms of behavior etc so you can see why some people are so anti-islam.

People are missing the bigger picture here and concentrating on a few bigots of this country. This country is giving this muslim immigrant the opportunity to be front bencher, which very few of even locals get.. can this happen to any non-muslim immigrants in Islamic country?

I also find it a bit amusing that Aeronaut only seems to make threads about Australia ONLY when something negative arises that he knows will not go down well on a prominent muslim forum that defence.pk is.

Whats the whole hullabaloo.. Probably a couple of bogans who have heard the word Quran for the first time.. Every country has their share of stupid sooks

Back
Top Bottom