What's new

Australian PM backs uranium for India

AUSTRALIA'S ban on uranium exports to India is set to be overturned, with Prime Minister Julia Gillard declaring the present policy outdated.

Ms Gillard will push for a change in party policy at next month's Labor national conference to lift the ban, bringing Australia into line with America's thinking.

Read more: PM backs uranium for India

Time to let Urenco or BNFL to open a plant in Australia and sell refined fuel rods to the whole world than just the ore.

This has been quite a seachange of approach since the "Cantonese" Kevin Rudd days. If one would look at it by itself, the moratorium was most simplistically "stupid". For a nation whose economy thrives just on primary goods exports, choosing just one growing customer was anyway a short term outlook. And strategically it was quite disconnected from the past.

Anyway, even if hollow words, this surely is a meaningful gesture and should go some distance in exacerbating differences.

I don't feel shameful about anything. I would have thought you would actually research a topic before speaking about it.

Money had nothing to do with the Prime Minister changing her mind on her personal position. That's what most of you are forgetting, it's her personal position and won't go ahead until her party and the parliament agree.

Australia is a rich country, any money earned from selling uranium to india would be small change compared to the amount of money Australia gets from selling its resources to everyone else.

It will have little effect on jobs and the economy. It is the bilateral relationship that would be the most benifit, they just mention "jobs and economy" for show.

Once again, another guy who should do his research before he speaks.
what else is Aus Govt motives by this if its not job and economy ? what type of bilateral relationship you want?

One more sign of India is arriving on global stage. They are giving us uranium without signing on NPT :cheers:

Giving uranium to India is in no way detrimental. India has a very impeccable record of nuclear non-proliferation. Though India possesses nuclear weapons, it has never transferred this technology to any external element EVEN when we were pressed with sanctions. China however, has been known to transfer nuclear technology to rogue states and failed states alike...even after agreeing not to.

Too much should not be read into personal opinions.
Australians have to decide for themselves whether it makes sense to sell to India.
But I think the decision will be more to do with politics/diplomacy rather than money.

Too much should not be read into personal opinions.
Australians have to decide for themselves whether it makes sense to sell to India.
But I think the decision will be more to do with politics/diplomacy rather than money.

Back
Top Bottom