What's new

Australian Uranium for Indian Nuclear weapons?

as long as it does the job,fine.keep them coming

Australia's economic father, People's Republic of China is going to be deeply pissed off by this. Australia has a clean record on nuclear proliferation, if they decide to change that it will affect their business with China.

Selling uranium isn't nuclear weapon proliferation.

Australia has no credible mechanism of guaranteeing that this Uranium won't be used for weapons. If it does, this will be counted as proliferation.

Just because you aren't aware of what they are, doesn't mean they don't exist. The agreement has checks and balances.

It will have an economic fallout between China and Australia.

They seem to take your assumptions/opinions and state is as fact. China doesn't care because China knows Indian can just buy uranium from any other seller in the global market.

There will be no impact.

Australia has pissed off China recently on matters such as Japan, ADIZ, Hauwei, etc, and there have been no repercussions. Tony Abbot has publicly stated that "China trades with Australia because it benefits China".

Money talks. Trade will never be threatened

Last edited:
China just shunned Australia this week, Abbott isn't going to get his free trade agreement with china anytime soon.

It's quite funny that once you flash enough cash in these guys' faces their ethics and beliefs go out the window- they just sign their own bilateral nuclear deals with India.

Of course India is a respected nuclear power with a strong non-proliferation record so there is actually little issue with dealing like this with India but it certainly marks a change of narrative from certain nations who had in the past refused to sell Uranium to India because India refused to sign the NPT.

A win for Indian diplomacy no doubt.

@xdrive

Please educate me about those 'checks and balances'.

How is Australia making sure that HEU from its Uranium won't be transfered to develop WGU for Indian weapons core?

Because this is how India developed nukes to begin with. A civilian reactor producing HEU, later converted into WGU for nuclear weapons.

Give me the EXACT details of how Australia which has zero experiance with WGU is going to stop India from developing nukes with Uranium supplied by Australia, given the fact that India is not going to allow IAEA on its soil which does have experiance with WGU.

If you are unable to give me the EXACT details of those 'checks and balances', don't bother to quote me.

Why pak is concerned about aus uranium to India?? you people got more nukes than India... India has got peaceful civil nuclear treaty. we are not forbidden by any one...

@xdrive

Please educate me about those 'checks and balances'.

How is Australia making sure that HEU from its Uranium won't be transfered to develop WGU for Indian weapons core?

Because this is how India developed nukes to begin with. A civilian reactor producing HEU, later converted into WGU for nuclear weapons.

Give me the EXACT details of how Australia which has zero experiance with WGU is going to stop India from developing nukes with Uranium supplied by Australia, given the fact that India is not going to allow IAEA on its soil which does have experiance with WGU.

If you are unable to give me the EXACT details of those 'checks and balances', don't bother to quote me.
India's stated intent has always been to source foreign Uranium to power its civil plants to free up its rather minimal domestic reserves to be used for its Nukes. As such even if Australian Uranium is only used for civilian purposes it is, indirectly, helping India's nuclear weapons program.

However I don't see what all the fuss is about. India has nuclear weapons and a sizeable reserve of WGU to make a lot more n-weapons in an emergency but this is merely for deterrence. India is a responsible nuclear power with a strong record on non-proliferation and a state no-first use policy. What does the sale by Australia change? Not much really except India's power generation capacity can increase safe in the knowledge there will be fuel to power the reactors.
If not Australia it will be someone else.....

India's stated intent has always been to source foreign Uranium to power its civil plants to free up its rather minimal domestic reserves to be used for its Nukes. As such even if Australian Uranium is only used for civilian purposes it is, indirectly, helping India's nuclear weapons program.

However I don't see what all the fuss is about. India has nuclear weapons and a sizeable reserve of WGU to make a lot more n-weapons in an emergency but this is merely for deterrence. India is a responsible nuclear power with a strong record on non-proliferation and a state no-first use policy. What does the sale by Australia change? Not much really except India's power generation capacity can increase safe in the knowledge there will be fuel to power the reactors.
If not Australia it will be someone else.....
bro, stop doing :hitwall:

Australia has a clean record in non proliferation and the fact that Australia is the world leader in Nuclear safety. Abbott govt is not only risking Australia's non proliferation record and its international commitments, but also risking to erode Australia's lucrative and vital relationship with China. This deal can have dire security consequences for not only China and Pakistan but for other nations in the region. India also has developed Inter Continental Ballistic Missiles which pose or will pose a nuclear threat to nations other than China.
Mr Abbott must must consider the geopolitical, economic and security fallout that will occur as the result of this deal.

Why pak is concerned about aus uranium to India?? you people got more nukes than India... India has got peaceful civil nuclear treaty. we are not forbidden by any one...

Of course Pak will be concerned....India is their allegedly hostile neighbour.

@xdrive

1)How is Australia making sure that HEU from its Uranium won't be transfered to develop WGU for Indian weapons core?

2)Because this is how India developed nukes to begin with. A civilian reactor producing HEU, later converted into WGU for nuclear weapons.

1) From India's own PoV, it would be stupid to use Australian Uranium to build weapons, when we have more than enough Uranium of our own to double our nuclear arsenal, if necessary. Why would we risk the goodwill of the entire international community, after fighting so hard to be allowed into the nuclear trading club? The fact is that we have enough Uranium reserves at home to build as many nuclear weapons as would ever be needed, but not enough for sustained electricity production to light our cities for generations. We are not that stupid, that we would use foreign supplied Uranium for our weapons program instead of domestically sourced U.

2) The beef that Canada had at that time was not about who's Uranium was used, but that Canadian supplied reactors were used for the purpose. That is irrelevant now, because we don't need to use civilian reactors anymore. At that time that was the only reactor in the country, and we did not have the expertise to build a weapon producing reactor indegenously in secret. Now we have enough reactors dedicated for military use, and they are separate from civil reactors That was one of the conditions for the 123 agreement that allowed us to buy Uranium. So we do not need to use civil reactors for that purpose anymore. And our civil reactors are fully open to international inspection anytime, while our military reactors are not.

Australia is sitting on one of the largest Uranium reserves in the world, and India will soon be one of the largest cosumers of Uranium to propel our growth. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what each country will do. Bring on the stuff, fellas! @xdrive

how does it matter how much uranium India has. Even if India has 10000 nukes it does not mean India can nuke Pak or China without being bombed to stone age itself.

so I don't understand whats the fuss about. Surely no one is planning for a nuclear Holocaust on earth.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom