What's new

***** Australia Rejects Joint Patrol with US Navy in South China Sea *****

Status
Not open for further replies.
The word "Vietcong" is insulting to Vietnamese, he been ASKED not to use the word and yet he keep pumping post after post to that. Bear in mind I saw his first (Now deleted) post and I did not take action on it. Is this a revenge? How about I start calling all Chinese - Chi-com? Do you think this would be an insult to Chinese?

Maybe we could ask some Vietnamese member if they consider the term "Vietcong" offensive??

@Viet @vietminh @BoQ77

Yes indeed. I am a Vietnamese here.

The word “Vietcong” is indeed a derogatory name. The north Vietnamese or Vietnamese communist from the south throughout history has never called themselves “Vietcongs”, it was a degoratory word made up by US/RVN and their allies used against their communist war enemies.

Even today, it is still considered as a degoratory term, every Vietnamese, including people in Vietnam considered it as degoratory. I have also remembered lots of times when Vietnamese members have raised issue with that name.

And appealing to ignorance is no justification here, especially when someone has been asked to refrain from using it.

@Rechoice, @Soryu, @JaiMin, etc.

p8rdAWEFp

This kind of man shouldn't have the right to rate other's post.

Last edited:

The word “Vietcong” is indeed a derogatory name. The north Vietnamese or Vietnamese communist from the south throughout history has never called themselves “Vietcongs”, it was a degoratory word made up by their war enemies as a degoratory term.

Even today, it is still considered as a degoratory term, people in Vietnam considered it as degoratory. I have also remembered lots of times when Vietnamese members have raised issue with that name.

And appealing to ignorance is no justification here, especially when someone has been asked to refrain from using it.

then why all the authoritative dictionaries of the world are not saying as such ie "derogatory"
The authoritative references do not need to suit themselves to the vietnamese liking or preferences on internet forum

The word “Vietcong” is indeed a derogatory name. The north Vietnamese or Vietnamese communist from the south throughout history has never called themselves “Vietcongs”, it was a degoratory word made up by their war enemies as a degoratory term.

Even today, it is still considered as a degoratory term, people in Vietnam considered it as degoratory. I have also remembered lots of times when Vietnamese members have raised issue with that name.

@Rechoice, @Soryu, @JaiMin, etc.

ur are indeed correct, my mother is a vietnamese Chinese, and during the war, the term vietcong is coined by the US special force during the 1960 and as a mean to degrade their enemy, the local guerrillas will simply call themselves NLF fighter and/or their unit number, they see themselves as a communist soldier.

So the term was made for slur to begin with, dont know how the Chinese think they would not be insulting anyone when they use this....

But i tell you what, if he retract the word from his post, i gladly withdraw all but one negative rating.

then why all the authoritative dictionaries of the world are not saying as such ie "derogatory"
The authoritative references do not need to suit themselves to the vietnamese liking or preferences on internet forum
again, just because it was in dictionary it does not mean theyare not insult, negro, slope are all in major dictionary, does that not offended the black or asian?

Check out how the authoritative references which I have quoted above give out their warnings about racial slurs:

the derogatory term used against black persons "N"
the derigatory terms used against Chinese "C"

Again authoritative references build their presitige and credits throughout the centuries on unbiased and fair definitions and NOT cheapening themselves to ill-learnt opinions

Authoritive? dictionary dont tell much about history. So why didnt you reference from Britanica, the first few links that will pop up if you google Vietcong:

The name is said to have first been used by South Vietnamese Pres. Ngo Dinh Diem to belittle the rebels.

Read history books and it will tell you the same thing. Dont expect dictionary to give long history lessons.

Plus given the context of your grudge post against India+Japan+Vietnam alliance, it looks a lot like you have deliberately used the word “Vietcong” as a degoratory name to belittle VN, otherwise you could have just used Vietnam, which is actually shorter to write than “Vietcong”.

Authoritive? dictionary dont tell much about history. So why didnt you reference from Britanica, the first few links that will pop up if you google Vietcong:

The name is said to have first been used by South Vietnamese Pres. Ngo Dinh Diem to belittle the rebels.

Read history books and it will tell you the same thing.

Plus given the context of your grudge post against India+Japan+Vietnam alliance, it looks a lot like you have deliberately used the word “Vietcong” as a degoratory name to belittle VN, otherwise you could have just used Vietnam, which is actually shorter to write than “Vietcong”.

My reply on 34 speaks volumes
They dont need to bow down to ill-learnt forum members
They build their business on credits out of intense and serious research
They dont know who the "military professional" is nor do they know you or me

@Keel , why do not take the issue to the Mods? I see some arbitrary negative rating game is going on. These people must be stripped of their rights once they are found to be abusing their ill-advised privileges.

@waz , @Hu Songshan , @Horus , sirs, could you kindly please look at the above negative rating?

The above person who gave the negative rating bases his action to a website which states that "The Racial Slur Database, since 1999. Not copyrighted in any way, shape or form.
This database was created entirely from data gleaned off the 'net and via submissions from people like you and your parents. It's supposed to be funny and/or informational."

It is definitely not a legitimate reference reference point and @Keel already provides enough legitimate reference to the usage of the term, which is not definitely racist.

The above member appears to have acted out of hatred and revenge.

Vietcong is indeed a degoratory term for Vietnamese.

Your post below, is itself childish and trolling, which deserves a negative rating:

They are definitely a lot more developed than certain other countries in caring for their own interests first and foremost. But, no doubt, the US is never short of pawns to do the barking in its name.

Labelling countries as pawns with degoratory descriptions such as “barking”? Mods and admins, please help enforce your forum to get rid of these kind of filthy talks.

Check out how the authoritative references which I have quoted above give out their warnings about racial slurs:

the derogatory term used against black persons "N"
the derigatory terms used against Chinese "C"

Again authoritative references build their presitige and credits throughout the centuries on unbiased and fair definitions and NOT cheapening themselves to ill-learnt opinions

Dude, there are NO CORELATION between a word in Dictionary and a word being a slur.

Let me give you for an instance

Hadji or Hajji, according to Oxford Dictionary is an honorary title confer to Muslim when they finish their pilgrim.

haji - definition of haji in English from the Oxford dictionary

(also hajji)
Definition of haji in English:
noun (plural hajis)
Muslim who has been to Mecca as a pilgrim: [as title]: Haji Hadi

Pretty sure this is not what it mean when an American GI calling this out to a Muslim in Iraq....

Urban Dictionary: hadji

A Slur is also a simple word. It only become a slur when you misuse it. Being a slur have no correlation of them being in any authorative dictionary

Last edited:
My reply on 34 speaks volumes
They dont need to bow down to ill-learnt forum members
They build their business on credits out of intense and serious research
They dont know who the "military professional" is nor do they know you or me

You have only cherry picked a few dictionary references that did not mentioned the degoratory nature of that word. I have also provided other reference from Britannica to show the demeaning nature of that word. And I can find plenty more reference for it. Anyone can just google “Vietcong, degoratory” and see lots of academic history books describing how it is used as a degoratory name.

We can see that you have a history of grudge against India and Japan on PDF...so in that context it was easy to see why you would use the degoratory name “Vietcong” together with Japan and India, instead of just writing “India, Japan, Vietnam”.

But whatever your excuse is, it is now been made clear that Vietcong is an insulting word, for Vietnamese like me. So should either apologize and delete your words like Jhungary has rightfully instructed you, otherwise your negative ratings are justified.

ur are indeed correct, my mother is a vietnamese Chinese, and during the war, the term vietcong is coined by the US special force during the 1960 and as a mean to degrade their enemy, the local guerrillas will simply call themselves NLF fighter and/or their unit number, they see themselves as a communist soldier.

So the term was made for slur to begin with, dont know how the Chinese think they would not be insulting anyone when they use this....

But i tell you what, if he retract the word from his post, i gladly withdraw all but one negative rating.

again, just because it was in dictionary it does not mean theyare not insult, negro, slope are all in major dictionary, does that not offended the black or asian?

I agree with you. He can either listen to you and delete his offensive words, or his negative ratings are justified.

You have only cherry picked a few dictionary references that did not mentioned the degoratory nature of that word. I have also provided other reference to show the demeaning nature of that word. Anyone can just google “Vietcong, degoratory” and see lots of history books describing how it is used as a degoratory name.

We can see that you have a history of grudge against India and Japan on PDF...so in that context it was easy to see why you would use the degoratory name “Vietcong” together with Japan and India, instead of just writing “India, Japan, Vietnam”.

But whatever your excuse is, it is now been made clear that Vietcong is an insulting word, for Vietnamese like me. So should either apologize and delete your words like Jhungary has rightfully instructed you, otherwise your negative ratings are justified.

No
jhungary is notorious for his China-targeted hatred on the forum
I would say most if not all of his -ve ratings are targeted at pro Chinese members

whether "Vietcong" is derogative or not. people should check authoritiative sources for answers just like a cautious person would check for other terms which may be offensive to someone
And all the above authoritiative sources or from presitgious orgs are not saying the term is "offensive"
BUT "N" for black persons and "C" for Chinese are clearly stated as offensive terms in their definitions

You have only cherry picked a few dictionary references that did not mentioned the degoratory nature of that word. I have also provided other reference from Britannica to show the demeaning nature of that word. And I can find plenty more reference for it. Anyone can just google “Vietcong, degoratory” and see lots of academic history books describing how it is used as a degoratory name.

I agree with you. He can either listen to you and delete his offensive words, or his negative ratings are justified.

The thing that got me most is that, the "Vietcong" issue was discussed MANY, and MANY time before, yet, nobody took any action and nobody do anything to it, and resulting these people still using it as a degradation. I don't know, I keen to leave it (The negative rating) open, but if he had learnt his lesson, then I am more than gladly to remove all BUT ONE negative rating on this issue.

But if he keep on using the word, which itself was created for degradation to begin with, then I would have no choice but to continue leaving rating as a measure, and I would also call on fellow TT/TTA/Professional and do the same.

No
I would say most if not all of his -ve ratings are targeted at pro Chinese members

whether "Vietcong" is derogative or not. people should check authoritiative sources for answers just like a cautious person would check for other terms which may be offensive to someone
And all the above authoritiative sources or fr ompresitgious orgs are not saying the term as "offensive"
BUT "N" for black persons and "C" for Chinese are clearly stated as offensive terms in their definitions

There are A LOT of pro-Chinese member here on this forum, basically all Pakistani and Chinese are pro-china here. Did you see me leaving negative rating when they all disagree with me one point or another?

YOU INSULTED THE VIETNAMESE BY CALLING THEM VIETCONG
. I leave you a negative rating, you could have said "Vietnamese" in place of "Vietcong", you make a choice to degrade the Vietnamese, then I make a choice to -ve rate you, what is the problem for that?

If your strategy to win is by character assassinate other member and other nation, that's your business, you can try and direct your blame to anyone or by doubting my respect level on this forum, but that does not change the fact that you had insult a nation. plus if you really want to see if people in this forum respect you more or me more, I am pretty sure I am more respected than you, so go on, try to character assassinate me, it will only make you look more guilty.

This is my absolute last post on Vietnam/Vietcong insult, again, I am giving you an option here, if you take the offensive word out, I will retract all but one negative rating. Do it or not is up to you. I don't really care what you do.

Core SCS is too far away from aus strategic interest area,plus they have lot of commerce with china.But any chinese naval activity outside of that area,especially in greater IOR will be opposed by them.

No

And all the above authoritiative sources or fr ompresitgious orgs are not saying the term as "offensive"

Like I have said, you have only cherry picked your “authoritive reference” that doesnt explain the racist nature of that words, just like I can cheery pick dictionary “reference” for obscure racist words like 50cents, w*mao, c****, etc. without description of its degoratory nature.

Anyone can just google “Vietcong” and “derogatory” together, and recieve many reference from academic history books attesting to how Vietcong is a degoratory name. You can google this and mods can google it and see for themselves.

So ignoring your excuses, NOW that you know its derogatory nature and NOW that a Vietnamese member like me have informed you that it is degoratory, you can either listen to Jhungary and delete your offensive words, or your rating is justified as per forum rule.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom