What's new

Australia not to supply uranium to India

Check this out..... and this is an Indian site..

Pakistan has 1,000 uranium reserves: report

:cheesy::cheesy:

My friend , Uranium is found everywhere. the aricle said out of the 1000 possible sites 9 looks promising. dont jump into conclusions seeing the header. next time read it carefully. :cheesy::cheesy:

India has 60,000 tonnes of proven uranium reserve which is more than enough for 50 years of use.

My friend , Uranium is found everywhere. the aricle said out of the 1000 possible sites 9 looks promising. dont jump into conclusions seeing the header. next time read it carefully. :cheesy::cheesy:

India has 60,000 tonnes of proven uranium reserve which is more than enough for 50 years of use.

you are simply feeding troll brother.

you are simply feeding troll brother.

yeah.. i think its time to use my china made.
trollbgone.jpg

I am not too sure of Req of India , any data regarding that.
Going into next decade - If you have several civilian reactors , you also need Fuel for Nuclear submarine force + nuclear powered AC which we are planning to build and to ensure that , its important that we make indigenous fuel to be used in those Military reactors freely without worrying abt civilian reactors.

Yes of course not, supplies should not present a problem but expect to pay a lot more than NPT signatories since 40% of the available supplies are at present off limits. IMO the Indian government should be more concerned about the repercussions of the Australian stance, they are questioning the legitimacy of the India-US nuclear deal.

Paying a higher price shouldn't be a problem, especially when it means signaling to the Aussies that the double standards of the NPT/CTBT wont work.

I agree that its indeed unfortunate and somewhat a failure of our foreign policy that Australia continues to undermine the Indo-US nuclear deal and the fact that NSG (of which Australia is a member) has given India a waiver. The US should be unhappy as well, a country that provides nuclear umbrella to the Aussies. I guess the Aussie stance is more due to their domestic political compulsions where nuclear proliferation (sic) is a strong issue.

Last edited:
I am not too sure of Req of India , any data regarding that.
Going into next decade - If you have several civilian reactors , you also need Fuel for Nuclear submarine force + nuclear powered AC which we are planning to build and to ensure that , its important that we make indigenous fuel to be used in those Military reactors freely without worrying abt civilian reactors.

Let me post an old news.

The Hindu Business Line : `India has enough indigenous uranium to last 50 years'

India has enough indigenous uranium to last 50 years'
Our Bureau

Projects can go on even without supplies from abroad: NPCL

Chennai April 10 Nuclear Power Corporation of India, which plans to put up eight units of 700 MW `pressurised heavy water reactors' (PHWR), is not particularly worried about uranium supplies, whether or not the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) of 40-odd nations agrees to give the raw material.

There is enough indigenous uranium to support a 10,000-MW PHWR programme for 50 years, Mr S.K. Jain, Chairman and Managing Director, NPCIL, told journalists here today.

New discoveries

He said that India's uranium production would double this year, thanks to new mines getting opened by the public sector Uranium Corporation of India Ltd. No production figures are available as the Atomic Energy Act, 1962, explicitly prohibits Uranium Corporation from making the details public, but it was said at the press conference that India had proven reserves of about 60,000 tonnes.

Two other experts from the nuclear field, Dr Baldev Raj, Director, Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research, and Dr Srikumar Banerjee, Director, Bhabha Atomic Research Centre and Member, Atomic Energy Commission, said at the press conference that with improving mining technology, there was a good chance of discovery of new uranium deposits.

"It is quite expected that due to the geological formation of India, new discoveries (of uranium deposits) would be made, but they might be deep-seated," Dr Banerjee said.

"There are enough uranium reserves. The question is how soon we can start mining," Mr Jain said, alluding to the environment-related issues that crop up when a new mine is opened.

New projects

Last year's annual report of Uranium Corporation of India mentions six new mining projects — three in Jharkhand, two in Andhra Pradesh and one in Meghalaya — apart from exploration work in Karnataka and Rajasthan.

Answering a question, Mr Jain said while India had enough indigenous raw material for a 10,000-MW of PHWR-based nuclear power, any help from abroad was welcome.

Dr Banerjee foresaw a situation when India might itself join the elite `Nuclear Suppliers Group', because of its expertise in PHWR and fast breeder reactor technologies. A strong domestic nuclear base would help to secure export orders. He drew a parallel with France, a leading member of the NSG, which does not have any uranium of its own.

Projects under way

India has today 16 nuclear reactors (totalling close to 4,000 MW), of which 14 are of PHWR-type. The other two (at Tarapur) are of `boiling water' type, which was originally built to process US-supplied uranium.

In addition, two light water reactors of 1,000 MW capacity each are coming up at Koodankulam in Tamil Nadu, technology and equipment for which are coming from Russia. The first of these plants is expected to start producing electricity next year. Also, a 500 MW `prototype fast breeder reactor' is also under construction at Kalpakkam, near Chennai.

On the anvil are three more fast breeder reactors of 500 MW each (two at Kalpakkam and the third at a site to be selected) and eight PHWRs of 700 MW capacity each.

US nuclear deal

All this will come up irrespective of any technological or fuel-supply-related assistance arising out of the nuclear deal with the US. Negotiations for the bilateral deal are under way, and if they bear fruit, India will get more uranium to set up more nuclear projects.

(The framework for the deal is what has been agreed upon, based on which the US government has got a law passed by its Congress that basically fixes the terms of negotiations for the final deal with India.

Under the framework, India will put all its future civilian nuclear projects under international safeguards, which means international inspectors will check against any Defence-related work going on there, but the decision to term a project `civilian' or not is India's.)

Answering a question, Mr Jain said he could not say whether the planned eight PHWRs would be called `civilian' or not.

He said that while there was sufficient indigenous uranium to support 10,000 MW (by PHWR route), more nuclear projects are desirable because of the low cost of electricity generated. NPCIL has brought down its average tariff to Rs 2.30 per unit last year (from Rs 2.48 paise earlier), but is targeting Rs 2 per unit.

so no worries for now. In between we have major uranium producers with deals. Australia sooner or later will come our way for sure.:cheers:

Russia , France, US and many more countries are with us..australia will also fall in the line..its a matter of 10-15 yrs.

We shouldnt worry a lot ....
we dont need uranium like forever .... your nuclear needs currently need uranium... once .... our nuke tech develops futther as per plans say 15-20 years and HW Reactor come online well be a thorium based nation ....
and everyone knows who's got loads of Thorium :)
WE DO!!!!!!!:mps::yahoo:

:coffee:

Well they have over a million tonnes of the estimated world wide reserve of 3.6 million ....and it is cheaper to mine (less than US$40 per kilogram)... better quality .... greater yield ....

I for one support the Aussie decision.

What's you basis? We have not done any proliferation and we should get it for peaceful use for energy.

Well they have over a million tonnes of the estimated world wide reserve of 3.6 million ....and it is cheaper to mine (less than US$40 per kilogram)... better quality .... greater yield ....

I for one support the Aussie decision.

Don't worry - we dont have as many reactors so money would not be a problem - I somehow feel I mean really I do - Y don't people from the US focus on the core areas that the GMAT so embraces!

If you have not then please go through it - you will appreciate the power of LOGIC!

:cheers:

I don't think we need to worry at all - I mean really WHO THE F*** is Australia GUYS!

:cheers:

New Uranium Mining Projects - India flag

New Uranium Mining Projects - India

Russia, India mull uranium joint venture

Russia stakes its claim in India’s nuclear gold rush
April 7th, 2010

Author: David Brewster, ANU

Russia’s recent nuclear deal with India places it in a leading position in the international gold rush to supply India’s huge nuclear power needs.

The deal, signed during Russian Prime Minister Putin’s visit to New Delhi last month, involves (according to which report you read) the supply by Russia of as many as 16-20 nuclear reactors to India. Russia is already building two nuclear reactors in southern India. To underline the relationship, Putin’s visit also included the announcement of a USD1.5 billion deal for the supply of 29 MiG-29K fighter aircrafts for use on India’s new Russian-supplied aircraft carrier, the INS Vikramaditya.

The US-India Business Council believes that India will install nuclear reactors worth up to USD150 billion in the coming decades. While Russia has positioned itself as the leading supplier of nuclear technology to India, other suppliers are also keen for a slice of the market. France’s Areva, one of the world’s largest suppliers of nuclear reactors, has signed an accord to supply between two and six nuclear reactors, and South Korea is also keen to demonstrate its credentials. US suppliers are also seeking a major role in the market, but have been hamstrung by legal complications. Although the so-called 123 Agreement between India and the United States, approved in 2008, opened the way in principle for the supply of US technology to India, a key agreement on reprocessing has only just been finalised and there are further requirements to be satisfied in coming months. US companies are also demanding Indian legislation that would limit their liability in the event of an accident.

At the same time, India has been securing uranium supplies for its civil nuclear program. Over the past year or so, India has concluded deals with Russia (which may involve Indian stakes in Russian resource fields), Kazakhstan, Gabon, Mongolia and even Canada.

Two noticeable absences from this list of countries are Japan and Australia. Negotiations between India and Japan over the supply of Japanese nuclear technology have been deadlocked over Japan’s demand that India become a party to the Fissile Material Cut-Off Treaty (FMCT), which would have the effect of precluding India from conducting further tests. India has so far refused to sign the FCMT, although it has recently reiterated its unilateral moratorium on nuclear testing. The Japanese government is under significant pressure from its nuclear industry to access the Indian market. There were indications of progress on the issue during Japanese Prime Minister Hatoyama’s visit to New Delhi in December. However, it is not yet clear how Japan and India might reach a compromise. It is possible that there may be some movement on India’s nuclear status in connection with this month’s global Nuclear Security Summit to be held in Washington.

Australia remains the most obdurate of potential major nuclear suppliers to India. Since the election of the Rudd government, Australia has not indicated any progress over the supply of uranium to India. The Rudd government, it seems, is hostage to the ALP Left and the Greens over the issue and seems unlikely to consider the question until after the next election, if then. New Delhi remains perplexed at Australia’s irrational stance, particularly after Australia agreed in the Nuclear Suppliers Group in 2008 that other suppliers could supply uranium to India.

Where does this leave India? The Russian reactor supply deal underlines the fact that, if necessary, India can make do without US and Japanese nuclear technology, although it does prefer to use both. India’s ability to secure uranium supplies from Russia, Canada and others also underlines that India can make do without Australian uranium, although again it would prefer to have Australia on board.

The Russian deal will also confirm the view of many in New Delhi (and there are surprisingly many) who regard Russia as a much more reliable strategic partner than the US and its allies are ever likely to be. The partnership with Russia contrasts with what some might see as the somewhat more conditional relationships offered by the United States and its regional allies. While India seems prepared to cut Japan a bit of slack on the nuclear issue (while continuing to pressure them for a deal), Australia’s position is seen by many as indicating a lack of respect. To a large extent the issue might be symbolic, but Australia’s refusal to show itself as a respectful friend does it no favours in building a long term and constructive relationship with a rising India.

David Brewster is with the Strategic and Defence Studies Centre, Australian National University.

Back
Top Bottom