What's new

Australia actually declares ‘war’ on cats, plans to kill 2 million by 2020

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Australia actually declares ‘war’ on cats, plans to kill 2 million by 2020

Comments 3

By Ishaan Tharoor July 16 at 3:51 PM
announced plans to cull up to 2 million feral cats by 2020 in a bid to preserve dozens of native species that authorities claim face extinction because of the cats' predatory behavior.

Speaking to a national radio station, Gregory Andrews, the country's first threatened-species Commissioner, said Australian Environment Minister Greg Hunt "is declaring war on feral cats, and he's asked me to take charge of that program."

Hunt unveiled the five-year plan at a Melbourne zoo on Thursday, vowing to protect Australia's native mammal and bird populations.

"We are drawing a line in the sand today which says, 'On our watch, in our time, no more species extinction,'" Hunt said.

All of Australia's states and territories have agreed to list feral cats as "pests." The bulk of the government funding for the plan will go to administering the culls, which will involve baiting, shooting or poisoning feral cats. The government is taking many steps to prove that these actions will be carried out in as "humane and effective" a manner as possible.

"By 2020, I want to see 2 million feral cats culled, five new islands and 10 new mainland 'safe havens' free of feral cats, and control measures applied across 10 million hectares," Hunt said.

So what's so wrong about the cats?

The animals were introduced to the Antipodes about 200 years ago by European settlers and bred and spread rapidly across the Australian continent and New Zealand. According to one estimate, the roughly 20 million cats in Australia kill roughly 75 million native animals a day.

According to Britain's Guardian newspaper, Australia has one of the worst extinction records in the world, losing about 29 native mammal species since the European arrival. It now lists some 1,800 species as under threat.

Some of the most endangered animals include the greater bilby...

...the eastern bettong...

...the western quoll...

...and the numbat.

This is hardly the first time the scourge of feral cats has made national headlines in this part of the world. In 2013, a prominent economist turned environmental activist in New Zealand called for the wholesale eradication of the country's cats, deeming them "natural born killers."

Gareth Morgan's Web site contains this appeal to save New Zealand's native fauna, which developed as species for centuries in isolation:

New Zealand is the last refuge of a huge range of bird species, we’re famous for our claim to be clean and green, and some of us have recognised the huge economic benefit, let alone the ecological dividend, from achieving a Predator Free New Zealand.

But the vision is flawed. Almost half of Kiwi households have a cat (or two) making New Zealanders the world’s biggest cat owners 1. Cats are incredibly effective hunters and are wiping out our native birds.

The rest of the site is a jarring read, replete with cartoon drawings vilifying cats and explanatory text with headings such as "Your cat is not innocent."

Australian officials took a different line.

Australia actually declares ‘war’ on cats, plans to kill 2 million by 2020 - The Washington Post

I can hear the cats singing now....

Memory
All alone in the moonlight
I can smile at the old days
I was beautiful then
I remember the time I knew what happiness was
Let the memory live again
Every streetlamp seems to beat a fatalistic warning
Someone mutters, and a streetlamp gutters,
And soon it will be morning.

Cats.jpg

Last edited:
Should give them to China, they can eat them, why would you kill the poor fellas! Come on Aussies you can do better than that...

All cats need to die in Australia, they are a menace and they wipe out the native animals who are not used to predators, it's already too late as most of the native animals in Australia are being wiped out by cats. Time to kill them all, there is no room in Australia for cats.

All cats need to die in Australia, they are a menace and they wipe out the native animals who are not used to predators, it's already too late as most of the native animals in Australia are being wiped out by cats. Time to kill them all, there is no room in Australia for cats.

Like natives of Australia :)

@jamahir Now its time to Jihad against Aussies to save cats :devil:

cats are going extinct in most capitalist countries. :sad:

if this mass-killing was about dogs, all these dog-kissers like peta would have been outraged globally, but in this modern capitalist consumerist cell phone toting age, calm and subtle intelligence is abhorred and so cats are reviled and dogs are adored.

be assured, sir... all those officers in australia who are happily involved in this murderous program will be acted against... it may take a few years but they will be taught a lesson... i declare a punishment fatwa against them.

i also call for all dogs in the world to be eradicated by 2025.

are you in your senses, man?? why don't you talk like that about dogs which kill people and cats??

down the ages, cats have been either worshiped or been supremely respected in enlightened cultures... your aussie culture has benefited from those cultures... it is high crime to consider killing cats.

there is no room in this world for haters of cats.

Lenin cat will crush Australian capitalist pigs!!! :sniper:
the_lenin_cat_by_itsmypayday-d6iir5c.png

lenin-and-cat.jpg

Like natives of Australia :)

this is no joking matter.

Should give them to China, they can eat them, why would you kill the poor fellas! Come on Aussies you can do better than that...

what are you suggesting here??

Last edited:
Feral cats are a huge threat to the natural eco system of the country.. Something needs to be done.. So goes for Rabbits

cats are going extinct in most capitalist countries. :sad:

if this mass-killing was about dogs, all these dog-kissers like peta would have been outraged globally, but in this modern capitalist consumerist cell phone toting age, calm and subtle intelligence is abhorred and so cats are reviled and dogs are adored.

be assured, sir... all those officers in australia who are happily involved in this murderous program will be acted against... it may take a few years but they will be taught a lesson... i declare a punishment fatwa against them.

are you in your senses, man?? why don't you talk like that about dogs which kill people and cats??

down the ages, cats have been either worshiped or been supremely respected in enlightened cultures... your aussie culture has benefited from those cultures... it is high crime to consider killing cats.

there is no room in this world for haters of cats.

lenin-and-cat.jpg

this is no joking matter.

what are you suggesting here??

Dogs are cool, they are beautiful, cats are pricks, they only come to you when they are hungry, they go around killing things just for fun. Cats disgust me, we should nuke all cats in the world.

Dogs are cool, they are beautiful, cats are pricks, they only come to you when they are hungry, they go around killing things just for fun. Cats disgust me, we should nuke all cats in the world.

cats are warm, loyal, brave and beautiful creatures, the like of which are not present in the universe... we should be grateful... i have myself raised six generations of cats some years ago and generally lived with cats off and on all my life... they were all killed by dogs.

dogs are beautiful?? they are cruel, ugly and filthy creatures with filthy habits... when i see a dog on the road, i ensure a at least seven feet distance from them... i am scared of dogs, i hate dogs to the extremest.

some years ago, i used to shoot at dogs with air-rifle to educate people not to feed street dogs... it was a two years later that newspapers became filled with so many reports of dogs attacking people or killing people in india.

(((
)))

Going to the dogs: Thousands are bitten and mauled by stray dogs every day as civil authorities fail to curb canine menace | Daily Mail Online

here is the famous vid of a cat saving a boy from a dog in usa ( Cat saves boy from vicious dog attack in California | Daily Mail Online ).

i call dogs "the unspeakable creature"... that is how i refer to them on pdf.

i call for all dogs in the world to be eradicated by 2025.

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom