What's new

Atif Mian, Why Pakistan Isn't Getting Better.

The real sad part is the realization that despite being convinced that war was inevitable, we did nothing to be ready for it. Dharti to azal se hey aur abad tak rahey gee, magar hum na hon gey. As I said above, this is now a whole another discussion.
Multiple people pointed out what could be done… but to your point the system “weeds” them out.

Not the shah se ziada shah ke wafadar but with all that’s experienced in life.. I have no choice but to leave that dharti and see my land now outside my window
A9C4CB7B-0EBE-48E2-A7A8-5C5314123B01.jpeg

This already happens, but:
1- The tax amount is low. It was increased by PTI, but still lower than it should be. Hence, the buyer pays the amount that is actually required by law to the seller with proper channels, the rest is given under the table to meet the market rate.

2- A very high property tax should be imposed on those having more than 1 properties, and are not living in them.

I was talking to someone regarding this, and the counter point presented was that imposing a tax on agri land for the small farmer and medium farmer would result in food inflation. Where a large part of the population is already below the poverty line, increase in food prices due to government taxation is bad.

Agreed.

Absolutely no ones pays any property taxes in Pak. Dont know where you got the info from. Maybe a select few do but 95% do not. Either it is unenforced or under the table bribes are paid.

Food inflation is not an issue in Pak. Management is. We exported so much wheat at cheap prices the last few years before we were forced to import at much higher prices. Same for sugar. We have so much potential to produce our own olive/palm oils, to grow our own tea, yet we spend billions a year importing it. We spend billions on coal plants that require expensive imported coal rather than utilizing our own local thar coal or even quality coal from afghanistan.

There are many more hundred examples I can provide and possible thousands kept hidden under the rug. Not just are thuggish pmln-ppp responsible but even PTI mismanaged the economy though they were far better and a lot of it was due to being new in govt.

Most of our inflation issues are not due to taxes but due to mis-management.

Either it is unenforced or under the table bribes are paid.

There you have your answer.

I am involved in the sale of our porperty these days, and what I have seen now is eye opening.

Just to give another example, the property dealer doing the deal takes 0.5% of the total sale value, from both the seller and the buyer. So, a property worth 6 crore, the agent makes a total of 600k, totally tax free. And completely out of the system.

And I agree with the rest of your points as well. It is a tragedy that cannot make basic commodities and items domestically. Batain to bari kartay hain keh hamaray pas har mausam hai aur har terrain hai, magr us ka aaj tak achar hi dala hai.

Absolutely no ones pays any property taxes in Pak. Dont know where you got the info from. Maybe a select few do but 95% do not. Either it is unenforced or under the table bribes are paid.

Food inflation is not an issue in Pak. Management is. We exported so much wheat at cheap prices the last few years before we were forced to import at much higher prices. Same for sugar. We have so much potential to produce our own olive/palm oils, to grow our own tea, yet we spend billions a year importing it. We spend billions on coal plants that require expensive imported coal rather than utilizing our own local thar coal or even quality coal from afghanistan.

There are many more hundred examples I can provide and possible thousands kept hidden under the rug. Not just are thuggish pmln-ppp responsible but even PTI mismanaged the economy though they were far better and a lot of it was due to being new in govt.

Most of our inflation issues are not due to taxes but due to mis-management.
All done by Pakistanis themselves - top down to the bottom

atif mian is so innocent without religion our politics can not run . we feed masses religion so they did not ask for food .

We became holier than saudis and today saudis have modernized while we are stuck with the likes of afghanistan/iran (islamic republics) infact we are worse than these countries. Majority of the population in these countries are oppressed and would choose to overthrow their governments in a second. In Pakistan majority are brainwashed and would want to live under a backward oppressive system.

We became holier than saudis and today saudis have modernized while we are stuck with the likes of afghanistan/iran (islamic republics) infact we are worse than these countries. Majority of the population in these countries are oppressed and would choose to overthrow their governments in a second. In Pakistan majority are brainwashed and would want to live under a backward oppressive system.
opium of the masses

The guy lost his job because of anti cpec tweets. We criticize cepc projects from negotiating aspext and governance we have done for it mostly to make it better.His criticism as I remember were pretty one sided especially With what background he comes from gave an agenda driven vibe.
CPEC drive or him being a Qadiyani was a reason ?

And maybe agenda driven but most of the stuff he is writing is true.

I posted last year how Pakistani Fisherfolk Forum was supoorting anti Ruda and Anti Bundal Island protests.

Same PFF was found to be funded by Overt CIA (National Endowment for Democracy).

Because those projects were in interest of Pakistan and China they were sabotaged by US funded "NGOs" but hamare adare neutrality dikhate rehe.

Shekar Gupta breaks down Atif Mian's twitter thread. Seems like Atif's recent thread has received a good amount of attention in India.

Neutral Bajwa
China..
They feared internal instability affecting cpec if nawaz was there. Also they had gratitude for him to provide such an easy going policy with the bidding and terms.
And it actually worked towards pti politics.
Imagine if nawaz was in jail right now he would have gained the sympathy vote for shahbaz to get some extra seats.
That's the biggest problem with our folks.. they develop.sympathy for a person behind bars.

"Debt Trap" = claptrap.

Why do Indians love lying so much?

The best part was where he doesn't even know how interest rates work.

30 year loan at 6% is 317+% more expensive than a 30 year loan at 2% (Pakistan's commercial rate is a rate spread of ~10-16 points (~1000-1600 basic points) higher than the benchmark rate of the U.S. fed funds rate.)

Aka a local currency loan would have an interest rate of, at minimum, 16%, and any foreign contractors would demand a huge margin of safety for such a thing, as the country in question is obviously going to try to hyperinflate that debt away.

This is why foreign companies would never accept a local currency loan or to be paid in local currency.

Conversion would happen to international hard currency either way.

The best part is when they pretend that any of CPEC would be built cheaper with anyone else.

The main problems with CPEC going overbudget were all due to the insistence on using local contractors which were used to extract extra money to politicians.

Aka, the parts where the politicians demanded to use CPEC as a social program.

100% of these problems came from the Pakistani side of the demands.

The same kind of thing happened in parts of Africa, where the local politicians demanded that local labor be used and then demanded that local labor be overpaid for their work.

100% the fault of local politicians.

This is the problem when U.S. NGO figures tailor their propaganda for idiots and think that it will also work on those who are not idiots.
You typically write so much drivel and yet think that you are smart :laugh:

Borrowers always prefer low interest loans that are given over a long period of time. The calculated total interest is spread over a larger time period and the time value of money should offset the extra amount paid in overall interest. Being able to service the debt is what matters the most. Loans at commercial rates for shorter period is difficult to service and is therefore not preferred.

Back
Top Bottom