What's new

At least 27 killed as Iraqi forces raid Sunni protest camp

Arabian Legend

Reaction score
Country
Saudi Arabia
27 dead as Iraqi forces clash with protesters: army

KIRKUK, Iraq — Clashes between Iraqi security forces and protesters killed 27 people on Tuesday, the deadliest showdown since Sunnis took to the streets four months ago calling for the Shiite premier to resign.

High-ranking Iraqi army officers said the demonstration near the northern town of Hawijah was infiltrated by militants but a protest organiser said no one wanted by security forces was present.
The clashes mark the worst eruption of violence between security forces and demonstrators who for more than four months have been calling for the resignation of Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki and decrying the alleged targeting of their community by the authorities.

They broke out around 5:00 am (0200 GMT) when security forces entered an open area near Hawijah, west of Kirkuk, where demonstrations have been held since January, said senior army officers, who gave an overall toll of 27 people killed and around 70 wounded.
But accounts differed as to the spark for the bloodletting.

A brigadier general from the Iraqi army division responsible for the area said the operation was aimed at Sunni militants from a group known as the Naqshbandiya Army, and that security forces only opened fire after they were fired upon.

A second officer said that 34 Kalashnikov assault rifles and four PKM machineguns were recovered at the scene.

Two soldiers were killed and seven wounded in the operation, while the remainder of the casualties were a combination of protesters and militants, the officers said.

Protesters, however, insisted the army had provoked the clashes.

Security forces "invaded our sit-in today, burned the tents and opened fire indiscriminately and killed and wounded dozens of protesters," Abdulmalik al-Juburi, a leader of the Hawijah sit-in, told AFP.

"This pushed Arab tribesmen to go to the streets and attack several army checkpoints to avenge the protesters killed. We only have four rifles to protect the sit-in, and there are no wanted people among us," Juburi said.

Hassan Toran, leader of the provincial council of Kirkuk, where Hawijah is located, said the council condemned "the government forces breaking in to the sit-in and using extreme force, which led to killing and wounding dozens."

"We, as a provincial council, already warned and called for calm," Toran added. "What happened today makes us ask the United Nations to intervene."

A curfew has been imposed on Hawijah and neighbouring areas.

The violence came just hours after United Nations envoy Martin Kobler called for restraint on both sides in Hawijah, where tensions have been ratcheting up.

"I encourage the Iraqi security forces to exercise the utmost self-restraint in maintaining law and order and the demonstrators to continue to preserve the peaceful character of the demonstrations," Kobler said in a statement.

Tuesday was not the first time that anti-government demonstrations in Iraq have turned deadly -- security forces killed a protester in the north Iraq city of Mosul on March 8, and eight demonstrators near Fallujah, west of Baghdad, on January 25.

Also on Tuesday, two roadside bombs exploded as Sunni worshippers were leaving dawn prayers in south Baghdad, killing at least four people and wounding 14, officials said.

AFP: 27 dead as Iraqi forces clash with protesters: army

plox, never use dead people for your own interest, Saudi.

The sunnis of Iraq have insulted your GCC, your beloved chuwait and the zionist saudi arabian royal family more then any other human being on earth.
Including me, and broud.
ma3salam

Lol against Al-mailki call me terrorist.

In all his act, a child murderer no difference that Assad and both will be crushed. Any Pro-Khaomin in the arab world will be wrapped up and shipped to Tehran. Mark my words...

meanwhile!

rxFyi.jpg

164634_162291270606878_366674363_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you unable to put the Safawi propaganda out of your head for 5 minutes and understand that Maliki is irrelevant for me ?
Arguing with a couple Saudis here, all I hear is Iran, Shia, Safawi, Rafidy, Majoos, Khameini.

Maliki is the real problem behind whats happening in Iraq since he took over. You wants me to list his criminal records to you here. Our interest is to remove iranian influence from the Arab World, al-Miliki is iranian agent pro-mullah puppet acting on behalf of his big master.. same applies to NasarAlshaytan and Assad.

who gave the order to kill those people. ?

All this Shia Sunni bullsh*t :hitwall:

Alright let us make a pact then - We both marry Shia Afghans ! Eik tiiir se dooo shikaar ! :D

We would have killed the Shia-Sunni animosity along with Pakistani-Afghan animosity ! :azn:

But for the love of God, just for the sake of decency, marry a girl this time ! :hitwall:

Your native Maneshra is still reeling from the Tales of your promiscuity when you ran off with that Somali boy ! :bad:

Alright let us make a pact then - We both marry Shia Afghans ! Eik tiiir se dooo shikaar ! :D

We would have killed the Shia-Sunni animosity along with Pakistani-Afghan animosity ! :azn:

But for the love of God, just for the sake of decency, marry a girl this time ! :hitwall:

Your native Maneshra is still reeling from the Tales of your promiscuity when you ran off with that Somali boy ! :bad:

Half of my mom's side is Shiite :P no, afghan women cover up way too much :rofl:

Half of my mom's side is Shiite :P no, afghan women cover up way too much :rofl:

Guess just me then ! :undecided:

I haven't got a Shiite on my side for ages but loads in terms of friends & family friends - I feel so left out ! :cray:

Tell you what - You handle some of the other groups - Ahmedis, Ismailis, Non-Muslims ! :agree:

Whilst I'll handle the Shias ! :azn:

An Afghan, a Saudi, an Iranian & a Pakistani wife for me - Two Shias & Two Sunnis ! :woot:

Damn I feel like Casanova ! :D

U.S and Israel are unhappy with the government, people of Iraq have chosen, so they use their funded terrorism group Al-Qaeda to create another bloodshed in Iraq, they have done and keep doing, role of Saudi dictators is nothing more than a poppet, their increasing hostility is due to their fright from destiny of already fallen dictators.
God bless all dead people in Iraq.

Back
Top Bottom