What's new

At last,a new twin turbo attack plane,the TAV!

kenyannoobie

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
This is the first new tactical twin turbo since the OV 10,IIRC. In a world of girlish shrieks at the sight of J 20s/F 35s and Su 57s the TAV,Tactical Aerial Vehicle will pass unnoticed but those 3rd world countries confronting COIN insurgencies will realise the tremendous cost savings such a platform offers with its greatly reduced CPFH compared to FSBs like Mig 29s or even -21s.

ic1.jpg

On paper the product of Quebec based,Icarus Aerospace looks good:
Armament:
+ Up to 11 external hard points
+ Up to 8000Lbs total load
+ One forward firing fixed cannon (customer’s choice)
+ One belly mounted optionally installed (up to 30mm) 360-degree turret cannon
+ Laser guided bombs and rockets
+ GPS guided munition
+ Up to two torpedoes
https://www.icarus-aerospace.com/tactical-air-vehicle-tav/

If it were me I'd have a pair of double barrelled 23mm on each wing capable of -5 degree depression and a centreline turret mounted double barrelled 30mm,180 degree capable slaved to a gymbal mounted electro optical sight seen in this OV 10 pic.
Can't find anything on price but should max out at 15 mn$ a pop.
Why hasn't HAL come up with their own? There's a serious global dearth of such platforms,but the big boys are fixated on the big ticket items as usual.

ic2.jpg

Notice the double tail boom and chopped fuselage......hmm. What says pakdef?

Edit: I'd have gone for a side by side cockpit though. Its easier communicating IRL when the shyts flying.

Last edited:
I always liked low cost COIN and CAS aeroplanes like these, unfortunately modern drones have greatly reduced the necessity of such products.

It would be a sitting duck for a MANPAD. Insurgents around the globe have access to good AA machinery. AntiA guns would be devastating for this aircraft. I am no professional but this idea would be a big NO.
These are just my two cents. Every person has the right to prove me wrong and I am fully open to it.
This is the first new tactical twin turbo since the OV 10,IIRC. In a world of girlish shrieks at the sight of J 20s/F 35s and Su 57s the TAV,Tactical Aerial Vehicle will pass unnoticed but those 3rd world countries confronting COIN insurgencies will realise the tremendous cost savings such a platform offers with its greatly reduced CPFH compared to FSBs like Mig 29s or even -21s.

View attachment 660968

Armament:
+ GPS guided munition
+ Up to two torpedoes

If it were me I'd have a pair of double barrelled 23mm on each wing capable of -5 degree depression and a centreline turret mounted double barrelled 30mm,180 degree capable slaved to a gymbal mounted electro optical sight seen in this OV 10 pic.
Why hasn't HAL come up with their own? There's a serious global dearth of such platforms,but the big boys are fixated on the big ticket items as usual.

View attachment 660970

Edit: I'd have gone for a side by side cockpit though. Its easier communicating IRL when the shyts flying.

I always liked low cost COIN and CAS aeroplanes like these, unfortunately modern drones have greatly reduced the necessity of such products.
Exactly we have much more cost effective solution available at market rather than spending 10M on these.

if it has SU 25 or A-10 grade Armour protection then its low speed can be compensated.
ability to loiter and fly low and suddenly pop out of the back of mountains and hilltops and tree tops will be more safer if it can withstand 50 caliber machine gun at least and 23mm AA rounds
otherwise yes it faces great danger if the terrorists have in their possession any good anti aircraft weapon,

if it has SU 25 or A-10 grade Armour protection then its low speed can be compensated.
ability to loiter and fly low and suddenly pop out of the back of mountains and hilltops and tree tops will be more safer if it can withstand 50 caliber machine gun at least and 23mm AA rounds
otherwise yes it faces great danger if the terrorists have in their possession any good anti aircraft weapon,

Any low flying aircraft for close air support is easy target for AA and Manpads be that a Jet or a prop.

However these aircraft are supposed to be used in a theater where anti craft weapons have been suppressed or neutralized.

That said, this same low cost plane, flying in the night, and delivering precision ammunition is another story.

Umm....dude.

"+ Up to 8000Lbs total load"

Which drone has a fraction of that payload and max speed of 360 knots? Thats almost 700 kmh!
Realistically, a very difficult target to track with a .50 BMG or a 14.5 milly Dushka.

View attachment 660968

Armament:
+ GPS guided munition
+ Up to two torpedoes

View attachment 660970

The best solution for many Asian, African, & South American countries. I guess it's from South Africa and PAF had some negotiations in the past for it too?

Any low flying aircraft for close air support is easy target for AA and Manpads be that a Jet or a prop.

However these aircraft are supposed to be used in a theater where anti craft weapons have been suppressed or neutralized.

That said, this same low cost plane, flying in the night, and delivering precision ammunition is another story.

Ofc! Nobody would fly it in a contested airspace. Its for COIN air support and Taliban like your LET.

A lone TAV would approach their pos or guntrucksl convoy during a stream of mixed 23 millie AP/HE. Seconds later another TAV would dive on the target from another axis walking another shower of 23 millies onto the terrs.

Also the cost factor! No 100000 usd PGMs were expended; just 1000 ROUNDS at max 7 USD a pop. However its architecture supports PGMs if needed. Its in-flight refuelable and fully network centric.

Srsly, do you guys read the link before replying? It has a 360 degree AESA and up to 2 FLIR turrets! Its A2A capable spelling doom for enemy light analogs, choppers and UAVs.
This could be a wonderful multi role platform if it performs 50% as promised.

IMHO this and a lot of similar concepts won't materialize. There's not a single country on Earth in need of enough of these planes to sustain the development and production overhead. They'd need to rely on exports, and if better jet-powered aircraft (like the AMX) can't cut past 2 users, this has no chance.

In all likelihood, the US will tie its COIN/CT aircraft needs to an existing PT6-powered aircraft (e.g., A-26, Wolverine, etc). The market is basically flush with these turboprop aircraft, so there are plenty of options for countries in need of such platforms. Not only that, but they can scale by settling their basic trainer and COIN/CT needs to one plane.

That said, I do like the TAV concept as an ASW aircraft.

Granted, you'd need air supremacy to operate such an aircraft (i.e., likely along your own coastline), but it would be an interesting way to saturate an area with torpedoes and depth charges without over-committing MPA/LRMPAs, or waiting for slower corvettes or boats to show up to an area.

IMHO this and a lot of similar concepts won't materialize. There's not a single country on Earth in need of enough of these planes to sustain the development and production overhead. They'd need to rely on exports, and if better jet-powered aircraft (like the AMX) can't cut past 2 users, this has no chance.

In all likelihood, the US will tie its COIN/CT aircraft needs to an existing PT6-powered aircraft (e.g., A-26, Wolverine, etc). The market is basically flush with these turboprop aircraft, so there are plenty of options for countries in need of such platforms. Not only that, but they can scale by settling their basic trainer and COIN/CT needs to one plane.

That said, I do like the TAV concept as an ASW aircraft.

Granted, you'd need air supremacy to operate such an aircraft (i.e., likely along your own coastline), but it would be an interesting way to saturate an area with torpedoes and depth charges without over-committing MPA/LRMPAs, or waiting for slower corvettes or boats to show up to an area.

Are you sure? Here's how a paid of pumped out Broncos performed against ISIS.

Axe reports that OV-10s performed outstandingly in combat, racking up 134 sorties and 120 combat missions over 82 days while having a 99 percent availability rate.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/foxtro...o-fight-isis-and-they-kicked-a-1764407068/amp

That flight line availability is practically impossible with jet FSBs!

A good read with important take aways the biggest being EVEN the US needs turbo prop reliability; and the cost effectiveness.

Instead of providing light support aircraft loaded with technology like the OV-10 Bronco, we spent billions fighting men in mud huts carrying rusty AK-47s with F-16s and F-15s costing tens of thousands an hour to operate. We literally flew the wings off our fighter fleet in the process.

Are you sure? Here's how a paid of pumped out Broncos performed against ISIS.

Axe reports that OV-10s performed outstandingly in combat, racking up 134 sorties and 120 combat missions over 82 days while having a 99 percent availability rate.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/foxtro...o-fight-isis-and-they-kicked-a-1764407068/amp

That flight line availability is practically impossible with jet FSBs!

A good read with important take aways the biggest being EVEN the US needs turbo prop reliability; and the cost effectiveness.

Instead of providing light support aircraft loaded with technology like the OV-10 Bronco, we spent billions fighting men in mud huts carrying rusty AK-47s with F-16s and F-15s costing tens of thousands an hour to operate. We literally flew the wings off our fighter fleet in the process.
I addressed this in the parts you didn't bold.

I agree that the concept is sound, I'm just saying there are already solutions -- e.g., EMB-314/A-29, AT-6 Wolverine, AT-802, etc -- that address this problem.

They're all based on existing platforms, so the overall cost of acquiring them is low (no need for new development work), and the end-user can pair them to other requirements (such as training).

In other words, the TAV is a little late to the party.

If you are going to make a slow low flying plane it needs to have armor to withstand 20mm cannons. This plane does not so fail...

Back
Top Bottom