What's new

Assam Violence : Thousands flee fearing more attacks

Indo-guy

Reaction score
Country
India
Fresh violence erupts in Assam, toll rises to 21; Army called in - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: At least 10 more people were killed in fresh violence in Assam's Baksa district on Friday. The attack comes less than 24 hours after heavily armed NDFB (S) militants unleashed violence in two districts of the state killing 11 and injuring many others.

According to Times Now, indefinite curfew has been clamped in Baksa and Kokrajhar districts and Army has also been called in to take control of the situation.

Over 1,000 paramilitary personnel were dispatched to Kokrajhar where attacks by suspected members of militant outfit NDFB (Songbijit) has resulted in several deaths.

Earlier, a group of 20 to 25 NDFB-Songbijit militants, armed with AK-47 rifles, swooped down on three houses at Balapara-I village in Kokrajhar district in the early hours of Friday and fired indiscriminately, killing seven persons on the spot, the police said.

IGP L R Bishnoi told PTI earlier in the day that two children and four women of the minority community were among the seven persons who were gunned down.

The body of a three-year-old child, who was also killed in the attack, was recovered from the area later this morning, Bishnoi said, adding that two men were also seriously injured.

Family members of the victims said the insurgents attacked one house after another, firing indiscriminately creating panic in the area.

Just a few hours earlier, three persons of a family, including two women, were shot dead and an infant was seriously injured by NDFB-S militants in neighbouring Baksa district on Thursday night.

The militants carried out the crime after entering the house near Ananda Bazar area in Baksa district also within BTAD, the police said.

In the same district one Bipin Boro was shot at and seriously injured in his house by two suspected militants at Nizdefeli on Thursday, the police said. He was admitted to the Gauhati Medical College Hospital in a critical condition.

The attacks are suspected to be in retaliation to the ongoing anti-insurgency operation in the Bodoland region, where some NDFB militants have been killed recently.

(With PTI inputs)

who's fighting who and why?

Bodo secessionist militants targeting muslims in Assam as they want all illegal bangladeshi immigrant muslims go back to as they have flooded the region and bodo militant consider them a threat to their culture as well as weaken their struggle against Indian Government. Although their primary target are Bangladeshis many local Indian Bengali and Assamese Muslims also end up being killed by them its not known whether they do it intentionally or just by mistake.

747e567a-2b4e-44a7-b270-b6d3cee26b61wallpaper1.jpg

Army personnel keep a vigil in a street in Kokrajhar district.

Another reason why the illegals should be kicked out of the country, they create nothing but huge mess for the country. The next government hopefully BJP needs to take actions against the illegals and throw them out of the country. And there should be dialogues between the government and the tribal people to better understand their needs.

Not my words. Just quoting from an HT article.
23 killed in militant attacks in Assam, curfew imposed - Hindustan Times

View attachment 26735
Indian security personnel patrol the attack-hit area of the Balapara village in Assam May 2, 2014.
Twenty-two Muslims killed in sectarian attacks in Assam| Reuters
I am not saying that those were your words,the article itself has mixed the C.A.P.F. personnel with the Indian Army ones:cheers:.Btw,the men on the pictures belong to the C.R.P.F. as it's the only Central force to use this particular type of camo:agree:

Bodo secessionist militants targeting muslims in Assam as they want all illegal bangladeshi immigrant muslims go back to as they have flooded the region and bodo militant consider them a threat to their culture as well as weaken their struggle against Indian Government. Although their primary target are Bangladeshis many local Indian Bengali and Assamese Muslims also end up being killed by them its not known whether they do it intentionally or just by mistake.
Not all Bodos are secessionist, the majority only want a separate state within the union. Only a tiny minority want to leave the union.

I am not saying that those were your words,the article itself has mixed the C.A.P.F. personnel with the Indian Army ones:cheers:.Btw,the men on the pictures belong to the C.R.P.F. as it's the only Central force to use this particular type of camo:agree:
Ya you are right..These are not Army personnel.

How can this be happening under a secular party's watch. I wonder if Amit Shah of the BJP is behind all this violence. o_Oo_O

Anyways sad incident, specially the kids. RIP.

Assam violence: Thousands flee their homes fearing more attacks - The Times of India

GUWAHATI: Police found nine more bodies on Saturday after a deadly rampage by tribal separatists in Assam, taking the death toll to 32 following two days of violence.
The latest fighting in the area, a site of frequent ethnic clashes, began on Thursday with the killing of 11 Bengali-speaking Muslim villagers, followed by more bloodshed on Friday when 12 others were slain.
Police said it was not immediately known when the nine villagers whose bodies were recovered on Saturday had been killed.
"The death toll has gone up to 32," police inspector general S N Singh told AFP. "Security has been further tightened with police and paramilitary troopers deployed in strength."
The nine bodies, including those of women and children, were recovered from Narayanguri village in Baksa district, 200 kilometres (125 miles) west of Assam's main city of Guwahati.
This week's attacks come as the country votes in a multi-phased general election that began on April 7. Polling winds up on May 12, with results to be announced four days later.
Voting in Assam has ended, with April 24 the last day of polling. Police blamed the attacks on the outlawed National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB), which has been demanding a separate homeland for decades.
Investigators said they arrested around 20 suspects on Saturday in the violence-hit districts of Baksa and its neighbour, Kokrajhar.
"So far we have arrested about 20 people," said a senior police official, who did not want to be named.
Witnesses said some of the victims were killed as attackers opened fire on them while they slept in their homes.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh directed Assam chief minister Tarun Gogoi and Union home minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Saturday to "restore normalcy" in the area, while condemning the attacks.
"(My) heart reaches out and grieves for all those who lost their near and dear ones," Singh said in a statement.
The attacks have prompted security forces to launch a massive hunt for the guerillas and have spurred some 5,000 people to flee from their homes, police officer Singh said.
The officer added that an indefinite curfew has also been imposed in the violence-torn districts, with police given shoot-on-sight orders and army soldiers on standby.
The victims of the attacks were Muslim migrants who have been locked for years in land disputes with indigenous Bodo tribes in the tea-growing state that borders Bhutan and Bangladesh.
Media reports said Muslim villagers were targeted as a punishment for not voting for candidates backed by the rebels.
Chief minister Gogoi said the National Investigation Agency (NIA) would probe the violence and involvement of any political parties.
"An NIA probe has been sought and anyone found guilty, including politicians, will not be spared," Gogoi told reporters after a state cabinet meeting on Saturday.
While the opposition Bharatiya Janata Party has criticized the Congress-led state government for inaction and failure to protect its people, some student groups have demanded Gogoi's resignation.
Seventeen people were killed in clashes in the same region in January, and thousands of others fled their homes for fear of further attacks.
Survivors of Thursday's attack in Kokrajhar district described how a group of around 20 masked gunmen had carried out the killings late at night.
"We were asleep when gunmen barged into our home and sprayed bullets, killing my elderly mother, my wife and my four-year-old daughter," Siraj Ali told a local TV channel, as he sat beside the bodies in a police station.
"I don't have anyone left in my family now," Ali said.

Back
Top Bottom