What's new

ASAT and financial capability for anti sanction Diplomatic leverage?

Yes and that makes the job easier..
Anything launched in the satellite's orbit will collide with the fast moving satellite with enough force.

Does Pakistan have ability to launch warhead/projectiles in a satellite's orbit?

And you expect that "OBJECT" to wait in the orbit so that satellite can come and hit it??????

It is a painful process to sync the orbit of the projectile with that of the satellite.

Does Pakistan have ability to launch warhead/projectiles in a satellite's orbit?

It is a painful process to sync the orbit of the projectile with that of the satellite.

I know that ... thats y i asked that question to him.....

I know that ... thats y i asked that question to him.....

ASAT is a long go for a nation which is yet to launch a mini satellite into space. And launching a satellite and putting it in an orbit is much easier that syncing a projectile into another satellite's orbit.

If common sense was so common. :tsk:

Anything launched in the satellite's orbit will collide with the fast moving satellite with enough force.
O boy, best of luck for that.

May be you should read about how difficult it is, and it takes hell lot of time to develop such capabilities. How long do you think Pakistan will take to develop this technology ?

O boy, best of luck for that.

May be you should read about how difficult it is, and it takes hell lot of time to develop such capabilities. How long do you think Pakistan will take to develop this technology ?

ASAT is a long go for a nation which is yet to launch a mini satellite into space. And launching a satellite and putting it in an orbit is much easier that syncing a projectile into another satellite's orbit.

If common sense was so common. :tsk:

Thats what i was trying to tell safriz for some time.... But bhaisaab sunnekeliye Thayyar nahin.....

:fans:
:crazy:
:mamba:
We really need guys like that in DRDO if we want our own defence assets.

:raise:What is the most effective way to destroy enemy stronghold?

:astagh:Just drop the bomb, and it surely will strike to ground due to gravitation.:omghaha:

:raise: What you learn from pdf for last 3 years.

:astagh: Ghaaaaaaa.ntaaaaaaaaaaaa

@arp2041 @Skull and Bones

Striking Out to Space: Technical Challenges to the Deployment of ASAT Weapons

If the country wants to defend itself from an orbital weapons platform, then it needs a launch vehicle that has instant readiness to strike the target before it unleashes its weapons. This characteristic requires extensive maintenance and crew training.

Second,

the ASAT system must have the ability to track the target and guide it to interception. Depending on the threat, a country might require an exhaustive system of surface, aerial, and space-based surveillance and tracking systems. Location is very important in this respect. An ASAT weapon on the ground may not be in position at a particular time to track a target or launch an attack.

Third,

a direct ascent system must include sufficient command and control capabilities to direct the attack on the target. This capability must include a secure means to order a launch crew to deploy its weapon or provide guidance updates to the ASAT before and after launch.

Fourth,

after launch, the ASAT needs a means to intercept its target to place it within an effective range of its weapon. This capability can be very difficult to achieve.

Fifth,

the ASAT weapon must have sufficient “kill” capability to disable or destroy the target.

Sixth,

the country must have the ability to determine if the target has been rendered useless or requires another attack. The state may immediately need to launch another weapon or assign two or more

ASATs against the target to ensure its destruction. Failure of any of these components or capabilities may doom the ASAT operation

Striking Out to Space: Technical Challenges to the Deployment of ASAT Weapons

Now tell me, how much time and research is needed to attain this capability.

Last edited by a moderator:
@KRAIT as i see it, it's the last frontier of a ABM systems, key challenges:

1. Range - Targeting a satellite in GEO (major communication satellites are present in GEO instead of LEO).
2. Precision - Targeting a satellite which is of few meters diameters revolving with the speed of Earth requires enormous precision. If we target a missile on a target on Earth, mind you, the target is either immovable or is of very slow speed compared to a satellite.
3. Change of medium - from Atmosphere to Vaccum.
4. Last thing, saying that the satellites are easy targets as they follow known paths is BS as they can also perform maneuvers by there on-board engines being fired to change there orbits, this make the task even more difficult.

As is the case, only US has been able to MASTER the art by R&D & regular testing in last 2-3 decades.

@arp2041 Exactly. That research paper has many things explained. Chinese have made good progress.

I am wondering about Indian capabilities since we don't have a official program and its most probably won't be tested in recent years.

I think we can work with Russians over Joint ASAT system. Russians are the one who can easily match US capabilities.

@arp2041 Exactly. That research paper has many things explained. Chinese have made good progress.

I am wondering about Indian capabilities since we don't have a official program and its most probably won't be tested in recent years.

I think we can work with Russians over Joint ASAT system. Russians are the one who can easily match US capabilities.

Chinese are years away from achieving excellence in ASAT system (not that we are any better). The test which they did were only about killing the un-operational satellite in the LEO at about 600 miles above sea level. What about a satellite in GEO?

As is the case, weather & remote sensing sats are placed in LEO (remote sensing sats are good target b'coz of it's dual use).

& all major communication satellites are placed in GEO.

+ We are testing ASAT systems, but not directly but indirectly - We have the range to kill a sat in LEO, We are testing exo-atmospheric killing with our own ABM systems (where satellite is killed before re-entering the earth's atmosphere). So slowly & steadily we have the building blocks in place, we just need the Political will for the test, b'coz sooner or later there will be an NPT like regime set-up which will say that those who have this capability shall keep, those who don't, shall never develop one.

+ Russians are no more to be trusted in key projects, eg. being INS Viky & recently Chandrayaan-2 mission, by earlier promising to provide a lander to ISRO, now they are only backtracking on there own commitment.

Creating a military buffer against the US is futile. None have been able to do that in the past century. American military strength comes from having the best brains and muscle in the world today.

The only option I see is to improve our standing in the global arena, financially and strategically. China's veto is a strong advantage we have atm, but how long do you think it will last in the face of global pressure?

But I believe that the OP raised a good topic despite the monumental difficulties in attaining such capabilities as ASAT.

The next era of warfare is clearly going to be space-based with the research into ground-based laser-defense systems. There are already plans to fit such systems onto an aerial platform for destroying missiles. It won't be long before we see satellite-mounted lasers to attack targets on foreign soil.

Escape velocity of a rocket is about mach 30.
Ballistic missile terminal velocity is about mach 15-20
Space station's velocity is mach 20 .
Same is velocity of most satellites.
If ABM can be acheived for such speeds..why not ASAT?

So slowly & steadily we have the building blocks in place, we just need the Political will for the test, b'coz sooner or later there will be an NPT like regime set-up which will say that those who have this capability shall keep, those who don't, shall never develop one.

This is a huge possibility for a huge game-changer like ASAT. There can be no doubt that whoever doesn't start now will be blocked from persuing it later on. I don't know if that is going to be a deterrent for Pakistan (in the future) though. We've become accustomed to being denied access to a lot of things plus the sanctions (past and possibly future) will make us hard-hearted.

Back
Top Bottom