What's new

Aryans vs Dravidians?

As the name Bharat has been derived from the Hindu religious scriptures, its emanation essentially formulates itself as a part of the belief system, irrespective of the reality. If some one states that it did not exist, it may also challenge the belief and I would not like to do this, despite many reservations.

Within the realm of known history, the sub-continent has historically and geographically been divided in to two distinctly different areas namely, the Indus Valley and its adjoining plains, and the Ganges Valley and its adjoining plains. These two areas have been divided by a watershed which separates these areas. The known history of Indus valley and its adjoining plains is over 9000 years old. In those 9000 years, it has been politically united with Ganges Valley and its adjoining plains only three times i.e. during the times of Mauryan, Muslim and the British rule. For the remaining 7000-8000 years, the Indus Valley and its adjoining plains have remained a separate political entity. Therefore, the area where Pakistan exists today, the Meluhhans existed since 9000 years and therefore, the history of Pakistani landmass is also 9000 years old and most of it has been without any unity with India.

This has also been stated by a number of scholars like Robert Kaplan, Khan A. Sufyan and Aitzaz Ahsan amongst others.

Lets take an example of Germany and France . They are now different countries but history tells us that down the lines boundaries have been broken and recreated . During Roman civilization , most of the Europe was united under them . Same way the country of Bharat was segregated among various states . The Afghanistan was called gandhar . The gandhara-king shakuni was in the court of Kauravas ( modern day punjabis) ......his sister , Gandhari was married to Dhritrashtra ( Kaurav king ) .

The people of different states had constant business with each other . Ancient Indians were having trade with Europeans and Arabs . Now , to say that Indus valley people had no intermingling with the people of ganges plane is very debatable .

The modern day Pakistan was under a ruler king named King Dahir . I will not discuss his religion here , but he had good relationships with the kings of Ganges plane like Bappa rawal of Rajhasthan , Nagabhatt ( present day Madhya Pradesh), Harshvardhana of magadh ( present day uttar pradesh).

I have posted this before as well.

The shape of India is described in the 'Mahabharata' as an equilateral triangle, which was divided into four smaller equal triangles. The apex of the triangle is Cape Comorin, and the base is formed by the line of the Himalaya mountains. No dimensions are given, and no places are mentioned.

Another description of India is that of the Nava-Khanda, or Nine-Divisions, which is first described by the astronomers Parasara and Varaha-Mihira, although it was probably older than their time and was later adopted by the authors of several of the Puranas. According to this arrangement, Pdnchdla was the chief district of the central division, Magadha of the east, Kalinga of the south-east, Avanta of the south, Anarta of the south-west, Sindhu-Sauvira of the west, Hdrahaura of the north-west, Madra of the north, and Kauninda of the north-east. But there is a discrepancy between this epitome of Varaha and his details, as Sindhu-Sauvira is assigned to the south-west, along with Anarta. There however is absolutely no agreement among the scholars with regard to deciphering the exact location of Sindhu-Sauvira and different scholar state different locations.

With regard to the detailed lists of the 'Brihat-Samhita' with those of the Brahmanda, Markandeya, Vishnu, Vayu, and Matsya Puranas; although there are sundry repetitions and displacements of names, as well as various readings, yet all the lists are substantially the same. Some of them, however, are differently arranged. All of the Puranas, for instance, mention the Nine Divisions and give their names, but only the Brahmanda and Markandeya state the names of the districts in each of the Nine Divisions; as the Vishnu, Vayu, and Matsya Puranas agree with the Mahabharata in describing only five Divisions in detail, namely, the middle Province and those of the four cardinal points. The names of the Nine Divisions given in the Mahabharata and the Puranas differ entirely from those of Yaraha-Mihira.

ok... boundries change as per times . In that times there was nothing like international border lines. Also , mahabharat is quite ancient compared to Varah-mihir . By the time Varah -Mihir was born , states would have changed , countries would have changed .

I wish i could make a timeline -map of the history of Indian subcontinent . It would be a real difficult task .

First of all kingdom of Bharat is myth, it didn't actually exist. I though this discussion was about historical and scientific facts?

The first one is from movie and with makeup, seriously even blind person can see the work done on face.

As if Indians have any say in this. The discussion here is about Akhand Bharat which actually never existed in the first place apart from in minds of Hindutvas.

You just want to turn blind eye to the fact , just to satisfy what your mind wants to hear . even if you deny this , truth will be truth .

The thing which you call as akhand bharat existed . There are many texts on that .

You should read about CHAACHNAMA ( an arabic book) , read about King Dahir of Pakistan , read about Chadragupt Maurya , read about Ashoka the great .

All the above figures were not myth . The western scholars have mentioned their names on their books . Chinese travellers have written so much about them .

Nothing true would be achieved if you turn a blind eye .

There are many Indian scholars who believe that the so-called Vedic Aryans during the period of Rig Veda were inhabitants of the area called Sapta Sindhu i.e. Punjab. It is further believed by these scholars that the habitat of the so-called Vedic Aryans, during the period of composition of the Rigveda, was the central part of this area, the Sapta Sindhu or Punjab, the Land of the Five Rivers bounded on the east by the Saraswati and on the west by the Indus. Their eastern horizon was western Uttar Pradesh and their western horizon was Afghanistan. The region in Haryana (old Punjab) known as Kurukshetra or Brahmavarta in ancient times was considered to be the holiest place on earth. However, neither the word Kuruksetra, nor the word Brahmavarta, is found in the Rigveda.

However, there are many other scholars who now challenge this assumption and state that the habitat of the so-called Vedic Aryans during the period was considerably to the east of the Punjab. That is why I quoted the source of my post by stating that this description has been given by Shrikant G. Talageri in his historical analysis of Rig Veda. He states and goes to great lengths in his book to highlight that it was Uttar Pradesh where the so-called Vedic Aryans lived.

You may not agree with Mr Shrikant G. Talageri, with whom many scholars do agree with. Of-course there are many who do not agree with him as well.

I do not know why are you getting angry with me. Calm down, I never called you anything. I don not even know if Mr Talageri did that.

1. Sapta-Sindhu - Sorry sir, please look up the meaning. :rofl:
2. I am not angry. Slightly amused - yes. :)

The Saraswati river is the crucial link. Mentioned in the Rig Veda and also part of the river network that fed the Sapta Sindhu means that Rig Veda was either a later IVC relic(ie derived) or predated it because the area in question is the same.

There are many Indian scholars who believe that the so-called Vedic Aryans during the period of Rig Veda were inhabitants of the area called Sapta Sindhu i.e. Punjab. It is further believed by these scholars that the habitat of the so-called Vedic Aryans, during the period of composition of the Rigveda, was the central part of this area, the Sapta Sindhu or Punjab, the Land of the Five Rivers bounded on the east by the Saraswati and on the west by the Indus. Their eastern horizon was western Uttar Pradesh and their western horizon was Afghanistan. The region in Haryana (old Punjab) known as Kurukshetra or Brahmavarta in ancient times was considered to be the holiest place on earth. However, neither the word Kuruksetra, nor the word Brahmavarta, is found in the Rigveda.

Sapta Sindhi refers to seven rivers, Punjab refers to 5 rivers, both are unrelates. Rigveda talks about Yamuna.

The Bharata mentioned in Rigveda are the ancestors of several dynasties but not as a person while the name of Emperor Bharata, son of Dushyanta is the origin of the word Bharat. There is another well known prince Bharata, son of Dashrath and younger brother of Lord Rama.

1. Sapta-Sindhu - Sorry sir, please look up the meaning. :rofl:
2. I am not angry. Slightly amused - yes. :)

The Saraswati river is the crucial link. Mentioned in the Rig Veda and also part of the river network that fed the Sapta Sindhu means that Rig Veda was either a later IVC relic(ie derived) or predated it because the area in question is the same.

I know that in most cases the popular meaning of Sapta is seven and Sindhu is the name of river Sindh. However does Sapta Sindhu mean that there are seven rivers by the same name Sindhu or Sindh or does it simply mean seven rivers as Sindhu in certain cases has been identified to mean a river in Rig Veda.

Sapta Sindhu are also popularly identified as rivers of Punjab. The literal meaning of Punjab however means the land of five rivers and if one includes Sarasvati (the supposedly lost river), it makes six rivers. Mahabharata however, clearly describes that Sarasvati changed course eastwards towards Naimisha forest which is identified in present day Uttar Pradesh.

Talageri describes the Rivers of Punjab mentioned in the Rig Veda as; Vitasta (Jhelum), AsiknI (Chenab), Parusni (Ravi), Vipas (Beas), Suturdi (Satlaj), Marudvadha (Maruvardhvan), Sarasvati
Drashwati/HariyupIya/YavyavatI and Apaya. He takes pains in identifying the abode of so-called Vedic Aryans east of Sarasvati.

In his book "Land of the Seven Rivers", writer Sanjeev Sanyal has argued that the Sapta Sindhu refers only to the Sarasvati and its own tributaries. If Sanyal is right, the Sapta Sindhu region only refers to a small area including Haryana (old Punjab) and a part of north Rajasthan but leaving out most of Punjab. According to his interpretation, Sapta Sindhu is only a small subset of the Rig Vedic terrain and its disproportionate importance derives from it being the original homeland of the victorious Bharata Trutsu tribe.

It is also been discussed by some scholars Yavyavati may be another name of the Yamuna. However, most scholars do not agree with this. ML Bhargava, in his study of Rigvedic Geography, (without identifying Yavyavati as Yamuna) states that; the old beds of the ancient Drsadvati and the Yamuna ran very close to each other and the two rivers appear to have come close at a place about three miles southwest of ChacharaulI town, but diverged again immediately after. The Yamuna then again ran southwestwards almost parallel to the Drsadvati, the two again coming about two miles close to each other near old Srughna.

However, in the Valmiki Ramayana (2.65.6) Yamuna is described as surrounded by mountains.

We cannot learn more without more excavations. While these continue in India under ASI, I am yet to hear about latest excavations in ISVC sites in Pakistan. Never ever do I mock anyone. Views - yes, but not you in person. In you is Him. :)
I know that in most cases the popular meaning of Sapta is seven and Sindhu is the name of river Sindh. However does Sapta Sindhu mean that there are seven rivers by the same name Sindhu or Sindh or does it simply mean seven rivers as Sindhu in certain cases has been identified to mean a river in Rig Veda.

Sapta Sindhu are also popularly identified as rivers of Punjab. The literal meaning of Punjab however means the land of five rivers and if one includes Sarasvati (the supposedly lost river), it makes six rivers. Mahabharata however, clearly describes that Sarasvati changed course eastwards towards Naimisha forest which is identified in present day Uttar Pradesh.

Talageri describes the Rivers of Punjab mentioned in the Rig Veda as; Vitasta (Jhelum), AsiknI (Chenab), Parusni (Ravi), Vipas (Beas), Suturdi (Satlaj), Marudvadha (Maruvardhvan), Sarasvati
Drashwati/HariyupIya/YavyavatI and Apaya. He takes pains in identifying the abode of so-called Vedic Aryans east of Sarasvati.

In his book "Land of the Seven Rivers", writer Sanjeev Sanyal has argued that the Sapta Sindhu refers only to the Sarasvati and its own tributaries. If Sanyal is right, the Sapta Sindhu region only refers to a small area including Haryana (old Punjab) and a part of north Rajasthan but leaving out most of Punjab. According to his interpretation, Sapta Sindhu is only a small subset of the Rig Vedic terrain and its disproportionate importance derives from it being the original homeland of the victorious Bharata Trutsu tribe.

It is also been discussed by some scholars Yavyavati may be another name of the Yamuna. However, most scholars do not agree with this. ML Bhargava, in his study of Rigvedic Geography, (without identifying Yavyavati as Yamuna) states that; the old beds of the ancient Drsadvati and the Yamuna ran very close to each other and the two rivers appear to have come close at a place about three miles southwest of ChacharaulI town, but diverged again immediately after. The Yamuna then again ran southwestwards almost parallel to the Drsadvati, the two again coming about two miles close to each other near old Srughna.

However, in the Valmiki Ramayana (2.65.6) Yamuna is described as surrounded by mountains.

I wish it was all so simple as you mockingly suggest that it may be.

Lets take an example of Germany and France . They are now different countries but history tells us that down the lines boundaries have been broken and recreated . During Roman civilization , most of the Europe was united under them . Same way the country of Bharat was segregated among various states . The Afghanistan was called gandhar . The gandhara-king shakuni was in the court of Kauravas ( modern day punjabis) ......his sister , Gandhari was married to Dhritrashtra ( Kaurav king ) .

The people of different states had constant business with each other . Ancient Indians were having trade with Europeans and Arabs . Now , to say that Indus valley people had no intermingling with the people of ganges plane is very debatable .

The modern day Pakistan was under a ruler king named King Dahir . I will not discuss his religion here , but he had good relationships with the kings of Ganges plane like Bappa rawal of Rajhasthan , Nagabhatt ( present day Madhya Pradesh), Harshvardhana of magadh ( present day uttar pradesh).

At the time of Indus Valley Civilization, the land occupied by them was known as Meluhha. Greeks described India as a land east of river Indus (including its delta), which came much later in history and they also did not include the areas of the Meluhha i.e. river Indus (including its delta) and areas west of it. As I said earlier, it was only during the rule of Mauryas, Muslims and British that these areas were politically unified for a limited period, out of a total of 9000 years of known history. I agree that the political units west of Indus may have had good or bad relations with the political units east of river Indus. However, this does not in any way justify identifying the whole area as India.

Amitabh is Punjabi.

his mother tongue is Hindi/Urdu as his dad was from u.p India & mom was from Faisalabad Punjab, Pakistan

govinda's mother tongue is Punjabi as his parents were from Gujranwala, Pakistan

raveena tandon's mother tongue is Hindi/Urdu as her dad is from u.p India & mom was from Karachi, pakistan

We cannot learn more without more excavations. While these continue in India under ASI, I am yet to hear about latest excavations in ISVC sites in Pakistan. Never ever do I mock anyone. Views - yes, but not you in person. In you is Him. :)

There have been recent excavations in Pakistan. Yes due to the war against terror, the pace is slow in certain areas and the emphasis is waylaid. Though a recent 4000 year grave site was discovered in northern Pakistan, which provided some very interesting information.

And, I am sorry for the uncalled for remark. I am not very good at understanding some of the icons that many of you ladies and gentlemen display over here. I will remove the disturbing comment.

No problem mate. Differences in opinion are always welcome. And if I have offended you, please forgive me too :) :) Recent grave sites have also been discovered near Dwarka as well. Wish there was a joint group for both countries. Sites like Kalibangan, Rakhigarhi, Lothal also show burial sites.
But do you know what is so interesting?

1. In many case the entire body is not buried.
2. Older sites show full body burial (Lothal).
3. Newer ones show that the ashes are buried in earthen pots.
4. In some cases there was no body at all. Instead only utensils or jewellery was kept!
5. Post cremation burials were also found in places including Lothal.

You can check the ASI site for more details. Fascinating. :)

There have been recent excavations in Pakistan. Yes due to the war against terror, the pace is slow in certain areas and the emphasis is waylaid. Though a recent 4000 year grave site was discovered in northern Pakistan, which provided some very interesting information.

And, I am sorry for the uncalled for remark. I am not very good at understanding some of the icons that many of you ladies and gentlemen display over here. I will remove the disturbing comment.

Can you mention any major IVC sites excavated post-Independence, Pakistani people have no interest in IVC because its not related to Islamic history of Pakistan.

BBC News - Mohenjo Daro: Could this ancient city be lost forever?

Genetic evidence points to what? A migration out of Africa? Beyond that, it is pick & choose. I never said that the Iranians were never aware of western Iran, only that the Avesta is unaware of it. It is fundamentally important to any claims of migration from up North. You have zero idea of what is the prevailing linguistic theory & the dates attached, yet you insist on coming up with the same stuff repeatedly. There is no arguing that vedic & Avestan scriptures show same names? Really? I'm sure no argument from you but no else seems to buy that. The only names common between the two are those of the sub continent. There is no mention in the Rg veda of any geography outside that.

There is no picking & choosing, the sources that I mentioned for the genetic study are in fact quite recent, I will explain that later on in this post. The most important thing to any claim of an Indo-Iranian migration is genetic, archaeological, linguistic, & historical evidence. I don't see how the Avesta being unaware of Western Iran makes much of a difference whatsoever. The author from one of the sources in my previous post has provided a lot of evidence from the Avesta that you might want to go through again. As in the previous post, note that all of my quotes from other sources in this post are in Italic form.

Persia not Part of the Original Listing of Vendidad Lands

The Vendidad, and indeed the entire Avesta, does not mention Persia or Media. This was because Persia and Media became nations after the Avestan canon was closed. However, The Achaemenian Persian Kings (c. 700 - 330 BCE) repeatedly proclaimed their Aryan heritage.

It's you who has zero ideas regarding pretty much any theory I have discussed including the Kurgan hypothesis & the Paleolithic Continuity theory. At this point you have failed to provide us with any credible evidence discrediting the Indo-Iranian migrations. I never said that every fuking geographical name in the Vedas & Avesta are identical, my claim was that they do mention similar geographical areas. You may want to check your own posts again, because you have made a similar point earlier.

You still haven't disproved the claims made by other sources in my previous posts. Repeating the same stuff over & over does not help your cause.

The Aryan Migration Theory: Last Word

It has been known for 150 years now that the Indo-Aryan languages came from outside of India. The evidence is overwhelming, primarily linguistic, but there is also some archeological evidence. In scholarly circles, there is no debate on the Aryan Migration Theory (AMT) and there has been little debate for 150 years. It is only among Indian nationalists and a few hacks and kooks that it is not accepted.

No memories of an Aryan migration. Another OIT line. First of all, it is quite typical of most people to have no memories or false memories of wherever they came from. The Romans said they came from Greece. The Gypsies say they came from Egypt.

However, the Vedas do contain vague references to former habitations, such as what appears to be the BMAC and there are references to journeys over mountains and mountain passes. Many place names in Afghanistan are from proto-II words from Central Asia and often lead back to ancient Central Asian enemies of the Arya referred to in the Vedas. One of these is the Parni, associated with the BMAC and later with a northern Iranian group. They had stone forts and well-built cow stables in northern Iran that look a lot like earlier BMAC structures.

The route of migration did not take place over the high passes of the Himalayas and the Pamirs. Few groups have migrated over these treacherous mountains in the last 2000 years. Instead, the migration went from the BMAC down through northern Iran to Herat in West Afghanistan to the Gomal River in near Ghazni in East Afghanistan to the Swat Valley.

There are frequent references in the Vedas to southward and eastward movements of various groups of Arya. There are no references to westward groups as would be required by the OIT. Some of these movements to the south and east are described in military terms as victorious conquests. There are also references in the late Vedas of movements of the Arya east from the Afghan/Pakistan border to Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and all the way to Bihar.

This is utter nonsense. You are indulging in the most blatant form of lying yet have no compunction accusing others of doing so. Prove it if you can. No Avestan scholar disagrees with what I said. The best that Rg veda scholars who support the AIT have been able to do is suggest that somehow the 8th Mandala was an early one but that has been conclusively rubbished. Very few want to go down that path.

I haven't lied about anything, it's you who should feel guilty for coming up with worthless claims. This is what I stated previously:

I have heard of the 8th Mandala being the most similar to Avestan, but that isn't a claim by every scholar, it's only a claim made by some. So please do not provide us with false information. Regardless, I doubt any of us are experts in Sanskrit & Avestan, but if it's true that the 8th Mandala is most similar to Avestan, it would make no difference whatsoever. Languages evolve over time, they borrow from each other, & the Indo-Iranian tribes were naturally in contact. Sanskrit borrowed many loan words from unknown languages, the point is that the evolution of a language in no way implies that the Indo-Iranian people didn't go their separate ways.

You have claimed earlier that every scholar notes the similarities between 8th Mandala & Avestan. The burden of proof to prove that every scholar has made such a claim is on your shoulders. The point that I made earlier was simple, it makes absolutely no difference if the 8th Mandala is similar to Avestan. It does not disprove the Indo-Iranian migration. The only reason you are quoting text out of context is because you have failed in every way to disprove the Indo-Iranian migrations.

The Wikipedia page on Mandala 8 has this to say:

According to some scholars, the 8th Mandala has the most striking similarity to the Avesta.

In any case, I don't care if such a similarity exists because it makes no difference & languages evolve or change pretty much everywhere. Your attempts at using linguistic evolution to disprove migration have failed.

By the way, some sources even claim that the 10th Mandala is the youngest, that may give rise to the possibility of hymns being mixed. That could account for linguistic difference between Sanskrit & Avestan. In any case, I don't care because changes in languages are common.

You seem to have comprehension issues & an inability to read beyond what is convenient for your argument.

Those comprehension issues are actually applicable to you, not me. You have failed at every post to conclusively disprove any of the evidence that I have provided, including genetic evidence.

Never said that they didn't go separate ways, pointed out that one of the homelands mentioned in the Avesta is the Punjab and that was the point of contact.

I never claimed that you stated that the Iranians & Vedic Aryans didn't part ways. You may want to read my post again, in fact I have stated a portion of my previous post below:

Languages evolve over time, they borrow from each other, & the Indo-Iranian tribes were naturally in contact. Sanskrit borrowed many loan words from unknown languages, the point is that the evolution of a language in no way implies that the Indo-Iranian people didn't go their separate ways. Plenty of evidence points to their similar origins. Another important point to note is that the Median Empire began in 678 BCE, just over 2000 years ago, & there is no mention of them that I know off during the Elamite period. The Elamites are considered Semites by some sources, including the Hebrew scriptures.

Please do not bother with issuing certificates. You can assume whatever you want. Your sources are suddenly the only ones that can be "trusted" ? You are picking those"sources" which you think will advance your argument. Doesn't make them correct.

I am not issuing any certificates, your views do seem to indicate that you are a supporter of the Out of India Theory (OIT). There is plenty of evidence against the theory you seem to be supporting, while most of your arguments generally tend to be against the Aryan Invasion Theory. The Aryan Invasion Theory has been discredited, everyone's focus should remain on Indo-Iranian migrations. Why aren't my sources trustworthy? Is there something wrong with the genetic studies I provided you with in my last post? I am not cherry picking sources at all, those sources are credible, it's just you that denies genetic evidence.

Standard AIT rubbish. This is so old as not even to be funny.

There are none, forget frequent. This chicanery has long been exposed leaving only the likes of you to clutch at those straws.

You have been dismissing claims as "rubbish" in previous posts as well without conclusively disproving anything. There is no deceit here, & I am not clutching at straws.

This theory is not even trotted out by the AIT proponents anymore, this was the original invasion idea.

The text that you quoted was from a source attempting to disprove the Out of India Theory (OIT). The Vedic Aryans did migrate towards the east from the Indus Valley, there is no point denying that.

The Rg veda is written on the banks of the Sarasvati, not the Indus area. All the geographic names in the oldest mandalas are largely those of Haryana. The rest is the usual humbug. So outdated that it is not even funny.

There is no deception involved, but you are trying hard to deceive people by even denying data from genetic sources. You need to learn to give references for all of your claims.

Anyway, here is some general information regarding the Rigveda.

Rigveda

It is one of the oldest extant texts in any Indo-European language. Philological and linguistic evidence indicate that the Rigveda was composed in the north-western region of the Indian subcontinent, roughly between 1700–1100 BC (the early Vedic period). There are strong linguistic and cultural similarities with the early Iranian Avesta, deriving from the Proto-Indo-Iranian times, often associated with the early Andronovo and Sintashta-Petrovka cultures of c. 2200 – 1600 BC.

The geography described is consistent with that of the Greater Punjab: Rivers flow north to south, the mountains are relatively remote but still visible and reachable (Soma is a plant found in the high mountains, and it has to be purchased from tribal people). Nevertheless, the hymns were certainly composed over a long period, with the oldest (not preserved) elements possibly reaching back to times close to the split of Proto-Indo-Iranian (around 2000 BC) Thus there was some debate over whether the boasts of the destruction of stone forts by the Vedic Aryans and particularly by Indra refer to cities of the Indus Valley civilization or whether they rather hark back to clashes between the early Indo-Aryans with the BMAC in what is now northern Afghanistan and southern Turkmenistan (separated from the upper Indus by the Hindu Kush mountain range, and some 400 km distant).

While it is highly likely that the bulk of the Rigvedic hymns were composed in the Punjab, even if based on earlier poetic traditions, there is no mention of either tigers or rice[38] in the Rigveda (as opposed to the later Vedas), suggesting that Vedic culture only penetrated into the plains of India after its completion.

Ya, that was what I pointed out. The 8th Mandala

I never denied that Sanskrit & Avestan are sister languages, in fact I do not recall anyone denying that. Those languages are bound to be similar, another relevant example would be that of Arabic & Hebrew.

No relevance to a migration/invasion theory. The Rg veda speaks of the subcontinent including Afghanistan. Panini came much later.

The text you quoted was from a source that I referred to, go back & read it again.

Archaologists simply accept no major migration to the subcontinent. No amount of cherry picking will change that. Even AIT scholars like Witzel accept that archaeologist do not agree with any migration.

The views of archaeologists change over time, that also makes it clear that you need to provide a time line for their claims. At this point more evidence has been dug up, including the evidence I provided you with earlier, but your bias keeps you from accepting that evidence. Go back & read all of the archaeological evidence I provided in my previous posts. Read up on the Sintashta culture as well, since it's relevant to proto-Indo-Iranians. As far as cherry picking sources goes, it's you who is doing that.

Obviously, not clear to you. It wasn't to highlight religious differences, it was to give you a link to the connection between the Rg veda & the Avesta & what major Avestan scholars say about it. Where the separation takes place was what we were discussion and that was in support. Essentially, if you still don't get it, it means that Avestan scholars agree that the Rg veda predates the Avesta & that the Avesta corresponds to a later part of the vedic period. essentially questioning the idea of the AIT as commonly suggested. This includes some of the above references that you brought in. Answers that.

That paragraph seems to be a lot more focused towards evolving religious differences. Actually, that paragraph doesn't answer much, & one of the links I provided contains lots of detailed information regarding the Avestan scriptures from what seems to be a Zoroastrian source. Yeah, it's true that the Rigveda is considered to be older than the Avesta, but it doesn't do much to disprove the idea of an Indo-Iranian migration. All it emphasizes is that the Iranians broke off from the Indo-Iranian tribes. Keep referring to the Aryan Invasion Theory all you want, I simply don't care about that theory's concept of invasion at this point.

What rituals? You seem to labour under the belief that no one apart from you can read. I can & so can most archaeologists. They still don't agree that there is any migration Btw, on the one hand you dismiss "Max Mueller" dates and on the other hand you bring up supposed evidence saying something similar in dating. Problem with cherry picking arguments.

If I thought that no besides me could read, I wouldn't be having this discussion with an ignoramus such as yourself. If you had bothered to read my previous posts, you would have read the quote from the article referring to the unearthing of Aryan cities. That article is from the year 2010 by the way so this discovery is quite recent, & is evidence of the relations between Indo-Iranian tribes & others in Andronovo.

The place where Europe began: Spiral cities built on remote Russian plains by swastika-painting Aryans

'These ancient Indian texts and hymns describe sacrifices of horses and burials and the way the meat is cut off and the way the horse is buried with its master.

'If you match this with the way the skeletons and the graves are being dug up in Russia, they are a millimetre-perfect match.'

Recent discoveries & the genetic evidence is changing the views of many researchers, including archaeologists. Archaeological evidence does exist for a migration & I have mentioned it in my previous post. Once again, don't accuse others of cherry picking arguments or evidence before reading up on the evidence from an unbiased perspective. I never brought up Max Mueller's dates from the Aryan Invasion Theory, & sources do point out to the fact that Max Mueller came up with various dates to conform to his religious beliefs. He ensured that any date for the Aryan Invasion to be chosen would be that after the Biblical flooding of humanity.

I haven't used Max Mueller's dates. The dates provided by those studies in my previous post, as in the one referring to the mixture of ANI-ASI that occurred between 1900 to 4200 years ago has been proven by a recent genetic study. Besides, another important point to note is that the Median Empire began in 678 BCE, just over 2000 years ago, & there is no mention of them that I know off during the Elamite period. The Elamites are considered Semites by some sources, including the Hebrew scriptures. These dates as in the case of the origins of the Median civilization are just historical facts.

My dear chap, there is a pattern required for the linguistic expansion. you cannot make your own theories of who went where & when.

The authors caution about this evidence of admixture:

It is also important to emphasize what our study has not shown. Although we have documented evidence for mixture in India between about 1,900 and 4,200 years BP, this does not imply migration from West Eurasia into India during this time. On the contrary, a recent study that searched for West Eurasian groups most closely related to the ANI ancestors of Indians failed to find any evidence for shared ancestry between the ANI and groups in West Eurasia within the past 12,500 years (although it is possible that with further sampling and new methods such relatedness might be detected). An alternative possibility that is also consistent with our data is that the ANI and ASI were both living in or near South Asia for a substantial period prior to their mixture. Such a pattern has been documented elsewhere; for example, ancient DNA studies of northern Europeans have shown that Neolithic farmers originating in Western Asia migrated to Europe about 7,500 years BP but did not mix with local hunter gatherers until thousands of years later to form the present-day populations of northern Europe.

I did not come up with any theories of my own whatsoever. You should always post the source of your quotes as well. Anyway, I did some research of my own, & skimmed through the article "Genetic Evidence for Recent Population Mixture in India" to find your quote.

There is a great response to that text below. The most important thing to note is that the authors's own study indicates that there was mixture between 1900-4200 years ago. The reason that they entered that warning was to simply point out that another study failed to find such evidence. That is also why they refer to the need for further sampling & new methods to discover ancestry. However, it does not disprove the fact their own results indicates that the mixture took place around 1900-4200 years ago.

Major admixture in India took place ~4.2-1.9 thousand years ago (Moorjani et al. 2013)

"It is also important to emphasize what our study has not shown. Although we have documented evidence for mixture in India between about 1,900 and 4,200 years BP, this does not imply migration from West Eurasia into India during this time. On the contrary, a recent study that searched for West Eurasian groups most closely related to the ANI ancestors of Indians failed to find any evidence for shared ancestry between the ANI and groups in West Eurasia within the past 12,500 years3 (although it is possible that with further sampling and new methods such relatedness might be detected). An alternative possibility that is also consistent with our data is that the ANI and ASI were both living in or near South Asia for a substantial period prior to their mixture. Such a pattern has been documented elsewhere; for example, ancient DNA studies of northern Europeans have shown that Neolithic farmers originating in Western Asia migrated to Europe about 7,500 years BP but did not mix with local hunter gatherers until thousands of years later to form the present-day populations of northern Europe."

"This is of course true, because admixture postdates migration and it is conceivable that the West Eurasian groups might not have admixed with ASI populations immediately after their arrival into South Asia. On the other hand, a long period of co-existence without admixture would be against much of human history (e.g., the reverse movement of the Roma into Europe, who picked up European admixture despite strong social pressure against it by both European and Roma communities, or the absorption of most Native Americans by incoming European, and later African, populations in post-Columbian times). It is difficult to imagine really long reproductive isolation between neighboring peoples.

Such reproductive isolation would require a cultural shift from a long period of endogamy (ANI migration, followed by ANI/ASI co-existence without admixture) to exogamy ~4.2-1.9kya (to explain the thoroughness of blending that left no group untouched), and then back to fairly strict exogamy (within the modern caste system). It might be simpler to postulate only one cultural shift (migration with admixture soon thereafter, with later introduction of endogamy which greatly diminished the admixture.

The authors cite the evidence from neolithic Sweden which does, indeed, suggest that the neolithic farmers this far north were "southern European" genetically and had not (yet) mixed with contemporary hunter-gatherers, as they must have done eventually. But, perhaps farmers and hunters could avoid each other during first contact, when Europe was sparsely populated. It is not clear whether the same could be said for India ~4 thousand years ago with the Indus Valley Civilization providing evidence for a large indigenous population that any intrusive group would have encountered. In any case, the problem of when the West Eurasian element arrived in India will probably be solved by relating it to events elsewhere in Eurasia, and, in particular, to the ultimate source of the "Ancestral North Indians"."

india.jpg

"A second interesting finding of the paper is that admixture dates in Indo-European groups are later than in Dravidian groups. This is demonstrated quite clearly in the rolloff figure on the left. Moreover, it does not seem that the admixture times for Indo-Europeans coincide with the appearance of the Indo-Aryans, presumably during the 2nd millennium BC: they are much later. I believe that this is fairly convincing evidence that north India has been affected by subsequent population movements from central Asia of "Indo-Scythian"-related populations, for which there is ample historical evidence. So, the difference in dates might be explained by secondary (later) admixture with other West Eurasians after the arrival of Indo-Aryans. Interestingly, the paper does not reject simple ANI-ASI admixture "often from tribal and traditionally lower-caste groups," while finding evidence for multiple layers of ANI ancestry in several other populations.

My own analysis of Dodecad Project South Indian Brahmins arrived at a date of 4.1ky, and of North Indian Brahmins, a date of 2.3ky, which seems to be in good agreement with these results.

The authors also report that "we find that Georgians along with other Caucasus groups are consistent with sharing the most genetic drift with ANI". I had made a post on the differential relationship of ANI to Caucasus populations which seems to agree with this, and, of course, in various ADMIXTURE analyses, the component which I've labeled "West Asian" tends to be the major west Eurasian element in south Asia."

Genetics Proves Indian Population Mixture

"A new study indicates that population admixture in the pre-caste era occurred, shedding light on our understanding of present-day Indian populations

Scientists from Harvard Medical School and the CSIR-Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology in Hyderabad, India, provide evidence that modern-day India is the result of recent population mixture among divergent demographic groups.

The findings, published August 8 in the American Journal of Human Genetics, describe how India transformed from a country where mixture between different populations was rampant to one where endogamy—that is, marrying within the local community and a key attribute of the caste system—became the norm.

“Only a few thousand years ago, the Indian population structure was vastly different from today,” said co–senior author David Reich, professor of genetics at Harvard Medical School. “The caste system has been around for a long time, but not forever.”

In 2009, Reich and colleagues published a paper based on an analysis of 25 different Indian population groups. The paper described how all populations in India show evidence of a genetic mixture of two ancestral groups: Ancestral North Indians (ANI), who are related to Central Asians, Middle Easterners, Caucasians, and Europeans; and Ancestral South Indians (ASI), who are primarily from the subcontinent.

However, the researchers wanted to glean clearer data as to when in history such admixture occurred. For this, the international research team broadened their study pool from 25 to 73 Indian groups.

The researchers took advantage of the fact that the genomes of Indian people are a mosaic of chromosomal segments of ANI and ASI descent. Originally when the ANI and ASI populations mixed, these segments would have been extremely long, extending the entire lengths of chromosomes. However, after mixture these segments would have broken up at one or two places per chromosome, per generation, recombining the maternal and paternal genetic material that occurs during the production of egg and sperm.

By measuring the lengths of the segments of ANI and ASI ancestry in Indian genomes, the authors were thus able to obtain precise estimates of the age of population mixture, which they infer varied about 1,900 to 4,200 years, depending on the population analyzed.

While the findings show that no groups in India are free of such mixture, the researchers did identify a geographic element. “Groups in the north tend to have more recent dates and southern groups have older dates,” said co-first author Priya Moorjani, a graduate student in Reich’s lab at Harvard Medical School. “This is likely because the northern groups have multiple mixtures.”

“This genetic datatells us a three-part cultural and historical story,” said Reich, who is also an associate member of the Broad Institute. “Prior to about 4000 years ago there was no mixture. After that, widespread mixture affected almost every group in India, even the most isolated tribal groups. And finally, endogamy set in and froze everything in place.”

“The fact that every population in India evolved from randomly mixed populations suggests that social classifications like the caste system are not likely to have existed in the same way before the mixture,” said co–senior author Lalji Singh, currently of Banaras Hindu University, in Varanasi, India, and formerly of the CSIR-Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology. “Thus, the present-day structure of the caste system came into being only relatively recently in Indian history.”*

But once established, the caste system became genetically effective, the researchers observed. Mixture across groups became very rare.

The Harappa Ancestry Project reported that study conducted in 2013 over here.

Genetic Evidence for Recent Population Mixture in India

"The third possibility is that West Eurasian genetic affinities in India owe their origins to migrations from Western or Central Asia from 3,000 to 4,000 years BP, a time during which it is likely that IndoEuropean languages began to be spoken in the subcontinent. A difficulty with this theory, however, is that by this time India was a densely populated region with widespread agriculture, so the number of migrants of West Eurasian ancestry must have been extraordinarily large to explain the fact that today about half the ancestry in India derives from the ANI.18,19 It is also important to recognize that a date of mixture is very different from the date of a migration; in particular, mixture always postdates migration. Nevertheless, a genetic date for the mixture would place a minimum on the date of migration and identify periods of important demographic change in India."

My previous sources explaining the date quite accurately have been repeated below.

Indo-Aryans, Dravidians, and waves of admixture (migration?)

"I want to highlight one aspect which is not in the abstract: the closest population to the “Ancestral North Indians”, those who contributed the West Eurasian component to modern Indian ancestry, seem to be Georgians and other Caucasians. Since Reconstructing Indian Population History many have suspected this. I want to highlight in particular two genome bloggers, Dienekes and Zack Ajmal, who’ve prefigured that particular result. But wait, there’s more! The figure which I posted at the top illustrates that it looks like Indo-European speakers were subject to two waves of admixture, while Dravidian speakers were subject to one!

The authors were cautious indeed in not engaging in excessive speculation. The term “Indo-Aryan” only shows up in the notes, not in the body of the main paper. But the historical and philological literature is references:

The dates we report have significant implications for Indian history in the sense that they document a period of demographic and cultural change in which mixture between highly differentiated populations became pervasive before it eventually became uncommon. The period of around 1,900–4,200 years BP was a time of profound change in India, characterized by the deurbanization of the Indus civilization, increasing population density in the central and downstream portions of the Gangetic system, shifts in burial practices, and the likely first appearance of Indo-European languages and Vedic religion in the subcontinent. The shift from widespread mixture to strict endogamy that we document is mirrored in ancient Indian texts.

"What these results imply is that there was admixture between very distinct populations in the period between 0 and 2000 B.C. By distinct, I mean to imply that the last common ancestors of the “Ancestral North Indians” and “Ancestral South Indians” probably date to ~50,000 years ago. The population in the Reich data set with the lowest fraction of ANI are the Paniya (~20%). One of those with higher fractions of ANI (70%) are Kashmiri Pandits. It does not take an Orientalist with colonial motives to infer that the ancient Vedic passages which are straightforwardly interpreted in physical anthropological terms may actually refer to ethnic conflicts in concrete terms, and not symbolic ones.

Finally, the authors note that uniparental lineages (mtDNA and Y) seem to imply that the last common ancestors of the ANI with other sampled West Eurasian groups dates to ~10,000 years before the present. This leads them to suggest that the ANI may not have come from afar necessarily. That is, the “Georgian” element is a signal of a population which perhaps diverged ~10,000 years ago, during the early period of agriculture in West Asia, and occupied the marginal fringes of South Asia, as in sites such as Mehrgarh in Balochistan.

This should be more than enough genetic evidence for an Indo-Iranian migration, & the interesting thing is that the people in the northwestern regions of the Sub-Continent have mixed with other Indo-Europeans more than once.

Dr Lalji Singh quoted the facts from a study published in the journal 'Nature' in August 2009.

The study had been conducted by Singh and Kumarasamy Thangaraj of CCMB, Hyderabad, in collaboration with David Reich of Harvard Medical University and Nick Patterson and Alkes L Price of the Institute of Harvard and MIT, Cambridge, Massachusetts.

"We studied 1 million genetic markers in 132 individuals from 25 groups of Indians to conclude that they all were mixtures of ANI as well as ASI. ANI shows some lineage to the Europeans," said Singh.

Questioning the Aryan Dravidian theory, he added: "If true, the theory would imply that only the upper castes of India should have European lineage."

"But the study clearly shows that the mainland populations of India, irrespective of caste and tribe, have a European lineage, along with being a mixture of ANI and ASI."

Picking & choosing has problems.

You have been cherry picking sources & quotes to somehow prove your biased point of view. The sources above disprove those claims & I shall add one more source to disprove the Out of India Theory. As far as the quote above goes, it seems that you didn't understand it all. The reason many people in the Sub-Continent have a degree of both ANI & ASI mixture is because the Indo-Iranian migrants married many of the local women. That is already know, & it doesn't discredit the fact that the majority of their settlements remained in the northwestern & northern regions of the Sub-Continent.

Origins of R1a1a in or near Europe (aka. R1a1a out of India theory looks like a dud)

Ten years ago, Passarino et al. released a paper focusing on the origins and spread of R1a1a (back then known as Eu19). They did this by studying the frequency and diversity of the 49a,f/TaqI haplotype 11, which appeared to be linked to R1a1a. The conclusion was that R1a1a most likely originated in present day Ukraine, and expanded from there into Europe and Asia. However, a couple years later, STR diversity became the method of choice for studying Y-DNA haplogroup origins and expansions, and the information provided by 49a,f/TaqI Ht11 was basically ignored.

Despite lots of quirky results since then, like placing the ancestors of some modern populations far in Northern Europe when it was still covered with massive ice sheets (see here), no one in academia attempted to challenge the new methodology until this year (see here). However, in the meantime, it was "discovered" that India harbored the greatest diversity in R1a1a STRs, and was thus hailed as the place of origin of this widespread paternal marker.

It seems we've now come full circle, because latest work on the SNP structure within R1a1a shows that India has very low R1a1a diversity. For instance, all Indians tested to date for newly discovered R1a1a SNPs, mostly as part of various private Y-DNA projects, have come back positive for the Z93 mutation. This marker is not upstream to any European R1a1a subclades. In fact, most Eastern Europeans tested to date have come back ancestral for Z93. This information gels very well with ancient DNA results, which show a movement of light-pigmented European-like groups deep into Asia during the early metal ages from somewhere in West Eurasia (see here).

The news just in, courtesy of the R1a and Subclades Y-DNA Project, is that the Z283 SNP ties together the three major European R1a1a subclades. These are R1a1a1-Z284, largely found in Scandinavia, R1a1a1-M458, characteristic of Western Slavic and Eastern German populations, and R1a1a1-Z280, of Central and Eastern Europe. The primary distribution of Z283 shows an uncanny resemblance to that of the former Corded Ware cultural horizon of Northern Europe. Below is a map of the Corded Ware zone from Haak et al. 2008, which describes the discovery of R1a1a in the ancient remains from a Corded Ware burial in what is now Eastern Germany.

80591873.png

Ancient Siberians carrying R1a1 had light eyes - take 2

"Our autosomal, Y-chromosomal and mitochondrial DNA analyses reveal that whereas few specimens seem to be related matrilineally or patrilineally, nearly all subjects belong to haplogroup R1a1-M17 which is thought to mark the eastward migration of the early Indo-Europeans. Our results also confirm that at the Bronze and Iron Ages, south Siberia was a region of overwhelmingly predominant European settlement, suggesting an eastward migration of Kurgan people across the Russo-Kazakh steppe. Finally, our data indicate that at the Bronze and Iron Age timeframe, south Siberians were blue (or green)-eyed, fair-skinned and light-haired people and that they might have played a role in the early development of the Tarim Basin civilization."

tocharmap.jpg

There are 3 major hypothesis regarding the spread of proto-Indo-Europeans in Europe. The Kurgan hypothesis, the Anatolian hypothesis, & the Paleolithic continuity theory. The Kurgan hypothesis suggests that proto-Indo-Europeans migrated from a region above Anatolia towards Europe, Central Asia, & eventually our lands. It initially suggested some sorts of invasions as Indo-European horse riders spread their patriarchal & warfare filled culture. While there is genetic & to some extent historic & archaeological evidence for this theory, there is no archaeological evidence of major wars, that suggests what was more likely to have occurred is migration. The Anatolian hypothesis refers to Indo-Europeans expanding for agricultural reasons, but the theory fails linguistically due to differences in vocabulary between Indo-European languages for agricultural terms.*

The Paleolithic Continuity Theory focuses on Europe & determines that 80% of European genetic stock has existed since Paleolithic times. This suggests that there were other Indo-Europeans that lived in Europe before the expansion of other proto-Indo-Europeans from Central Asia & the East. Uralic people & the speakers of Uralic languages are evidence of the fact that Indo-Europeans had been present in Europe since Paleolithic times. The problem with this theory is that there are considerable genetic variations in Europe itself. So as far as Europe is concerned, the population's origins are a mix of Indo-Europeans from Paleolithic times combined with certain migrations from Central Asia in Eastern Europe. The proof of those migrations comes from the genetic study regarding Croatians that I mentioned previously. However, as far as our lands are concerned, the Indo-Iranians arrived in Afghanistan, Iran, & Indus from Central Asia, Southern Russia, or Andronovo as per the evidence gathered so far. This should be sufficient evidence to prove that the Indo-Iranian tribes migrated. I think more than enough evidence has been provided to prove the existence of ancient Indo-European people in Andronovo as well.

We will have to disagree on this. I will call you out every time you make claims on either the Rg veda or the Avesta supporting your conjecture but beyond that, there is no point in this discussion. We have no meeting ground and nor is one likely.

:blah:

Every time you call me out, I will have the data available to refute & annihilate your worthless claims. You have failed in your attempts to disprove an Indo-Iranian migration. At this point, all the linguistic, archaeological, & overwhelming amount of genetic evidence points to an Indo-Iranian migration. Plenty of material for migration is present in this apparently Zoroastrian source, & it refers to the Avesta & even the Vedas many times. Some sources that I provided in my previous post have managed to use the Vedas to refer to other regions as in the Bactria–Margiana Archaeological Complex. The unearthing of those Aryan cities also indicates the similarity between Vedic culture & that in Andronovo. It is easy proof of a relation between the Indo-Aryan people & those that resided in Andronovo. Basically, it's your worthless conjecture that you have failed to defend. If you do not want to continue this discussion, then stop replying to me. The only reason there is no meeting ground is because you display considerable bias against the idea of Indo-Iranian migrations in spite of the overwhelming amount of evidence in its support. People may choose to deny any amount of evidence, but denial of evidence does not change reality.

There is no doubt that more research is needed & I am sure that future research shall provide people with even better answers.

At this point you have failed to provide us with any credible evidence discrediting the Indo-Iranian migrations.

People making a claim should be able to prove it. No archaeologist agrees.

I never said that every fuking geographical name in the Vedas & Avesta are identical, my claim was that they do mention similar geographical areas.

The Rg veda speaks of no lands outside the subcontinent & Afghanistan. As I have pointed out the Avesta lists the hapta həndu as one of their original homelands which is the same as the Sanskrit Sapta Sindhu .. There ends any commonality. You said there were common names, maybe you should list them.

It has been known for 150 years now that the Indo-Aryan languages came from outside of India. The evidence is overwhelming, primarily linguistic, but there is also some archeological evidence. In scholarly circles, there is no debate on the Aryan Migration Theory (AMT) and there has been little debate for 150 years. It is only among Indian nationalists and a few hacks and kooks that it is not accepted.

Calling anyone hacks & Kooks only speaks of those making such comments. In archaeological circles, there is absolute dismissal of any migration/invasion theory.

However, the Vedas do contain vague references to former habitations, such as what appears to be the BMAC and there are references to journeys over mountains and mountain passes.

There are none.

The route of migration did not take place over the high passes of the Himalayas and the Pamirs. Few groups have migrated over these treacherous mountains in the last 2000 years. Instead, the migration went from the BMAC down through northern Iran to Herat in West Afghanistan to the Gomal River in near Ghazni in East Afghanistan to the Swat Valley.

They might well have gone via the U.S. for all the evidence there is.

There are frequent references in the Vedas to southward and eastward movements of various groups of Arya. There are no references to westward groups as would be required by the OIT. Some of these movements to the south and east are described in military terms as victorious conquests. There are also references in the late Vedas of movements of the Arya east from the Afghan/Pakistan border to Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and all the way to Bihar.

There are zero references to a supposed eastward movement an certainly not from Pakistan/Afghanistan. The oldest 3 mandalas of the Rg veda are unaware of even the Indus and are aware of no places outside of the Sarasvati+U.P. area.

I haven't lied about anything, it's you who should feel guilty for coming up with worthless claims. This is what I stated previously:

Start with calling people liars & that is all you will get in return. Pointless.

I have heard of the 8th Mandala being the most similar to Avestan, but that isn't a claim by every scholar, it's only a claim made by some. So please do not provide us with false information. Regardless, I doubt any of us are experts in Sanskrit & Avestan, but if it's true that the 8th Mandala is most similar to Avestan, it would make no difference whatsoever. Languages evolve over time, they borrow from each other, & the Indo-Iranian tribes were naturally in contact. Sanskrit borrowed many loan words from unknown languages, the point is that the evolution of a language in no way implies that the Indo-Iranian people didn't go their separate ways.

No one has ever disputed that. Point out any dispute first before being in a hurry to call names. Contrary to what you believe, it does make a difference because it calls into question the oft quoted idea that the Indo-Aryans & the Iranians separated near Afghanistan on a migration to India and that the Rg veda was supposedly composed thereafter. If the language connection (which you haven't denied) comes somewhere after the bulk of the vedas were composed, then the nature of the connection is automatically brought into question. Add to that the fact that the Avesta lists the Hapta Həndu as one of the their ancient homelands while being unaware of western Iran, it raised more questions on the supposed nature of the migration or the source of contact with the vedic aryans.

You have claimed earlier that every scholar notes the similarities between 8th Mandala & Avestan. The burden of proof to prove that every scholar has made such a claim is on your shoulders. The point that I made earlier was simple, it makes absolutely no difference if the 8th Mandala is similar to Avestan. It does not disprove the Indo-Iranian migration. The only reason you are quoting text out of context is because you have failed in every way to disprove the Indo-Iranian migrations.

See above.

In any case, I don't care if such a similarity exists because it makes no difference & languages evolve or change pretty much everywhere. Your attempts at using linguistic evolution to disprove migration have failed.

Makes plenty of difference which is why this fact has surprised & confused the AIT proponents for over a century.

By the way, some sources even claim that the 10th Mandala is the youngest, that may give rise to the possibility of hymns being mixed. That could account for linguistic difference between Sanskrit & Avestan. In any case, I don't care because changes in languages are common.

Everyone agrees that the 10th mandala is the youngest, the language there is different from the rest of the Rg veda. Why would that surprise anyone & what is the question being raised here?

I am not issuing any certificates, your views do seem to indicate that you are a supporter of the Out of India Theory (OIT). There is plenty of evidence against the theory you seem to be supporting, while most of your arguments generally tend to be against the Aryan Invasion Theory.

Disputing proof of an theory is not the same as supporting some other unless you happen to believe in the adage of "if you are not with us, you are against us".

The text that you quoted was from a source attempting to disprove the Out of India Theory (OIT). The Vedic Aryans did migrate towards the east from the Indus Valley, there is no point denying that.

Oh yes, there is "completely denying" that. You cannot prove that on the basis of the Rg veda which didn't even speak of the Indus in the first 3 mandalas.

It is one of the oldest extant texts in any Indo-European language. Philological and linguistic evidence indicate that the Rigveda was composed in the north-western region of the Indian subcontinent, roughly between 1700–1100 BC (the early Vedic period). There are strong linguistic and cultural similarities with the early Iranian Avesta, deriving from the Proto-Indo-Iranian times, often associated with the early Andronovo and Sintashta-Petrovka cultures of c. 2200 – 1600 BC.

Linguistic & cultural similarities in the 8th mandala. Makes the rest of the quote infructuous.

The geography described is consistent with that of the Greater Punjab: Rivers flow north to south, the mountains are relatively remote but still visible and reachable (Soma is a plant found in the high mountains, and it has to be purchased from tribal people). Nevertheless, the hymns were certainly composed over a long period, with the oldest (not preserved) elements possibly reaching back to times close to the split of Proto-Indo-Iranian (around 2000 BC) Thus there was some debate over whether the boasts of the destruction of stone forts by the Vedic Aryans and particularly by Indra refer to cities of the Indus Valley civilization or whether they rather hark back to clashes between the early Indo-Aryans with the BMAC in what is now northern Afghanistan and southern Turkmenistan (separated from the upper Indus by the Hindu Kush mountain range, and some 400 km distant).

The Rg veda speaks clearly of only the Indian sub continent. This is what i mean by cherry picking sources. These ridiculous ideas have been completely discredited.

While it is highly likely that the bulk of the Rigvedic hymns were composed in the Punjab, even if based on earlier poetic traditions, there is no mention of either tigers or rice[38] in the Rigveda (as opposed to the later Vedas), suggesting that Vedic culture only penetrated into the plains of India after its completion.

That is funny. You are still talking the old discarded ideas. Tigers were not necessarily found only on the region that they are present in now. IVC seals have tigers on them. Tigers were found all the way to the Caspian sea. Maybe there is no migration then :lol:. As far as rice not being mentioned, no direct mention of any other grain is made. Rice preparations are mentioned though.

The views of archaeologists change over time, that also makes it clear that you need to provide a time line for their claims. At this point more evidence has been dug up, including the evidence I provided you with earlier, but your bias keeps you from accepting that evidence. Go back & read all of the archaeological evidence I provided in my previous posts. Read up on the Sintashta culture as well, since it's relevant to proto-Indo-Iranians. As far as cherry picking sources goes, it's you who is doing that.

That remains current position of the archaeologists. No acceptance is made except by those claiming such connections about any link. Also be clear that the way this works is with an assumption of migration in the first place. There is nothing to suggest the link flows one way or the other.

That paragraph seems to be a lot more focused towards evolving religious differences. Actually, that paragraph doesn't answer much, & one of the links I provided contains lots of detailed information regarding the Avestan scriptures from what seems to be a Zoroastrian source. Yeah, it's true that the Rigveda is considered to be older than the Avesta, but it doesn't do much to disprove the idea of an Indo-Iranian migration. All it emphasizes is that the Iranians broke off from the Indo-Iranian tribes. Keep referring to the Aryan Invasion Theory all you want, I simply don't care about that theory's concept of invasion at this point.

As i said earlier, you keep missing the point. The nature of change of mythology is a good indicator of connections between Indo-Aryans & Iranians. If the Avesta is drawing from a late period of the vedic age, then any question of an early separation outside the subcontinent which gets trotted out is called into question. The emphasis is not on breaking from India-Aryans(that is not disputed at all :lol but when & in what context. It is reasonably clar from both the Avesta's own statement and the connection f the evolved mythology that the Iranians had the contact with the Aryans inn the land they mentioned -hapta həndu. The connection does not prove migration is the argument.

If I thought that no besides me could read, I wouldn't be having this discussion with an ignoramus such as yourself.

Ignoramus? More name calling ? Won't help your cause though.
'These ancient Indian texts and hymns describe sacrifices of horses and burials and the way the meat is cut off and the way the horse is buried with its master.
'If you match this with the way the skeletons and the graves are being dug up in Russia, they are a millimetre-perfect match.'

This is where it gets very interesting. This involves horse sacrifices & the Rg vedic myth of Dadhyanc. The problem for those making this argument is this. Both horse sacrifices & the myth of Dadhyanc are found only in the late Books of the Rg veda. Extraordinary, no?:woot: The early books which should have been the ones with any memory of any such sacrifice, not an evolution of the myth in the late books generations later. How does this fit in with the facts? Direction of transference is based on what here ? Only on a subscription to a theory of migration in the first place and to a specific direction of migration. This is similar to the supposed linguistic evidence from the Finno-Ugric branch of the Uralic languages often cited. Not only is the direction of transference one way(towards the Uralic), it also supposedly has words for Bactrian camels which the supposedly migrating Indo-Iranians were yet to come across till they reached centrals Asia.:lol: That should tell you something about what gets pushed in such debates. Easy to buy if you are not aware of what exactly you are buying.

The reason that they entered that warning was to simply point out that another study failed to find such evidence.

They also said it is entirely consistent with the ANI being in the sub continent. Let us wait for a study to state any connection more clearly. we will till then, pick what we want.

Every time you call me out, I will have the data available to refute & annihilate your worthless claims.

Annihilate? Worthless?:lol: We will let others decide that, shall we?

You have failed in your attempts to disprove an Indo-Iranian migration. At this point, all the linguistic, archaeological, & overwhelming amount of genetic evidence points to an Indo-Iranian migration.

No migration proved. Not for me to disprove it. No archaeological evidence exists, no archaeologist buys that, the genetic evidence allows for a very different opinion and there it will remain regardless of worthless attempts at annihilation.:lol:
Some sources that I provided in my previous post have managed to use the Vedas to refer to other regions as in the Bactria–Margiana Archaeological Complex.

As I said the sources could well refer to the U.S. for all the evidence there is, There is simply no such evidence.
The unearthing of those Aryan cities also indicates the similarity between Vedic culture & that in Andronovo. It is easy proof of a relation between the Indo-Aryan people & those that resided in Andronovo. Basically, it's your worthless conjecture that you have failed to defend.

There are no "Aryan" cities anywhere outside of Iran & the sub-continent regardless of who wants to use those names. All there are is a supposed connection something that I pointed out proved nothing. The "worthless" conjecture (like yours is actually worth anything) was never stated, so not defended. all I did was to keep poking holes in your "worthy:" conjecture.

If you do not want to continue this discussion, then stop replying to me.

Fine by me. Do likewise.

The only reason there is no meeting ground is because you display considerable bias against the idea of Indo-Iranian migrations in spite of the overwhelming amount of evidence in its support. People may choose to deny any amount of evidence, but denial of evidence does not change reality.

...and the reverse applies to you. No overwhelming evidence. Maybe you should take that up with the archaeologists who haven't learned from you.:lol: Your denials changes no reality.

There is no doubt that more research is needed & I am sure that future research shall provide people with even better answers.

There we agree and there I shall leave it.

No trace of “demographic disruption” in the North-West of the subcontinent between 4500 and 800 BCE; this negates the possibility of any massive intrusion, by so-called Indo-Aryans or other populations, during that period.
Deep late Pleistocene genetic link between contemporary Europeans and Indians, provided by the mtDNA haplogroup U, which encompasses roughly a fifth of mtDNA lineages of both populations. Our estimate for this split [between Europeans and Indians] is close to the suggested time for the peopling of Asia and the first expansion of anatomically modern humans in Eurasia and likely pre-dates their spread to Europe.”
Haplogroup U, being common to North Indian and “Caucasoid” populations, was found in tribes of eastern India such as the Lodhas and Santals, which would not be the case if it had been introduced through Indo-Aryans. Such is also the case of the haplogroup M, another marker frequently mentioned in the early literature as evidence of an invasion: in reality, haplogroup M occurs with a high frequency, averaging about 60%, across most Indian population groups, irrespective of geographical location of habitat. Tribal populations have higher frequencies of haplogroup M than caste populations.”

- U.S. anthropologists Kenneth Kennedy, John Lukacs and Brian Hemphill.

Migrations into India “did occur, but rarely from western Eurasian populations.” There are low frequencies of the western Eurasian mtDNA types in both southern and northern India. Thus, the ‘caucasoid’ features of south Asians may best be considered ‘pre-caucasoid’ — that is, part of a diverse north or north-east African gene pool that yielded separate origins for western Eurasian and southern Asian populations over 50,000 years ago.

- U.S. biological anthropologist Todd R. Disotell.

There is a fundamental unity of mtDNA lineages in India, in spite of the extensive cultural and linguistic diversity, pointing to a relatively small founding group of females in India. Most of the mtDNA diversity observed in Indian populations is between individuals within populations; there is no significant structuring of haplotype diversity by socio-religious affiliation, geographical location of habitat or linguistic affiliation.

- Scientists Susanta Roychoudhury and thirteen others studying 644 samples of mtDNA from ten Indian ethnic groups.

mtDNA haplogroup “M” common to India (with a frequency of 60%), Central and Eastern Asia (40% on average), and even to American Indians; however, this frequency drops to 0.6% in Europe, which is “inconsistent with the ‘general Caucasoidness’ of Indians.” This shows, once again, that “the Indian maternal gene pool has come largely through an autochthonous history since the Late Pleistocene.” U haplogroup frequency 13% in India, almost 14% in North-West Africa, and 24% from Europe to Anatolia. “Indian and western Eurasian haplogroup U varieties differ profoundly; the split has occurred about as early as the split between the Indian and eastern Asian haplogroup M varieties. The data show that both M and U exhibited an expansion phase some 50,000 years ago, which should have happened after the corresponding splits.” In other words, there is a genetic connection between India and Europe, but a far more ancient one than was thought.
If one were to extend methodology used to suggest an Aryan invasion based on Y-Dna statistics to populations of Eastern and Southern India, one would be led to an exactly opposite result: “the straightforward suggestion would be that both Neolithic (agriculture) and Indo-European languages arose in India and from there, spread to Europe.” The authors do not defend this thesis, but simply guard against “misleading interpretations” based on limited samples and faulty methodology.
The Chenchu tribe is genetically close to several castes, there is a “lack of clear distinction between Indian castes and tribes.

- Twenty authors headed by Kivisild - Archaeogenetics of Europe - 2000.

“Language families present today in India, such as Indo-European, Dravidic and Austro-Asiatic, are all much younger than the majority of indigenous mtDNA lineages found among their present-day speakers at high frequencies. It would make it highly speculative to infer, from the extant mtDNA pools of their speakers, whether one of the linguistically defined groups in India should be considered more ‘autochthonous’ than any other in respect of its presence in the subcontinent.”

- Mait Metspalu and fifteen co-authors analyzing 796 Indian and 436 Iranian mtDNAs. 2001.

Geneticist Toomas Kivisild led a study (2003) in which comparisons of the diversity of R1a1 (R-M17) haplogroup in Indian, Pakistani, Iranian, Central Asian, Czech and Estonian populations. The study showed that the diversity of R1a1 in India, Pakistan, and Iran, is higher than in Czechs (40%), and Estonians[12].
Kivisild came to the conclusion that "southern and western Asia might be the source of this haplogroup": "Haplogroup R1a, previously associated with the putative Indo-Aryan invasion, was found at its highest frequency in Punjab but also at a relatively high frequency (26%) in the Chenchu tribe. This finding, together with the higher R1a-associated short tandem repeat diversity in India and Iran compared with Europe and central Asia, suggests that southern and western Asia might be the source of this haplogroup".[12]
“Given the geographic spread and STR diversities of sister clades R1 and R2, the latter of which is restricted to India, Pakistan, Iran, and southern central Asia, it is possible that southern and western Asia were the source for R1 and R1a differentiation. ”

- Kivilsid - 2003

Based on 728 samples covering 36 Indian populations, it announced in its very title how its findings revealed a “Minor Genetic Influence of Central Asian Pastoralists,” i.e. of the Indo-Aryans, and stated its general agreement with the previous study. For instance, the authors rejected the identification of some Y-DNA genetic markers with an “Indo-European expansion,” an identification they called “convenient but incorrect ... overly simplistic.” To them, the subcontinent’s genetic landscape was formed much earlier than the dates proposed for an Indo-Aryan immigration: “The influence of Central Asia on the pre-existing gene pool was minor. ... There is no evidence whatsoever to conclude that Central Asia has been necessarily the recent donor and not the receptor of the R1a lineages.”
“Dravidian” authorship of the Indus-Sarasvati civilization rejected indirectly, since it noted, “Our data are also more consistent with a peninsular origin of Dravidian speakers than a source with proximity to the Indus....” They found, in conclusion, “overwhelming support for an Indian origin of Dravidian speakers.”
The frequencies of R2 seems to mirror the frequencies of R1a (i.e. both lineages are strong and weak in the same social and linguistic subgroups). This may indicate that both R1a and R2 moved into India at roughly the same time or co-habited, although more research is needed. R2 is very rare in Europe.

Sanghamitra Sengupta, L. Cavalli-Sforza, Partha P. Majumder, and P. A. Underhill. - 2006.

“The sharing of some Y-chromosomal haplogroups between Indian and Central Asian populations is most parsimoniously explained by a deep, common ancestry between the two regions, with diffusion of some Indian-specific lineages northward.”
“The Y-chromosomal data consistently suggest a largely South Asian origin for Indian caste communities and therefore argue against any major influx, from regions north and west of India, of people associated either with the development of agriculture or the spread of the Indo-Aryan language family.”
“Southern castes and tribals are very similar to each other in their Y-chromosomal haplogroup compositions.” As a result, “it was not possible to confirm any of the purported differentiations between the caste and tribal pools,” a conclusion that directly clashes with the Aryan invasion theory which purports that male European Aryans chased tribal adivasis and aboriginals down south.

Sanghamitra Sahoo, T. Kivisild and V. K. Kashyap. - 2006.

When Homo sapiens migrated out of Africa, he first reached South-West Asia around 75,000 BP, and from here, went on to other parts of the world. In simple terms, except for Africans, all humans have ancestors in the North-West of the Indian peninsula. In particular, one migration started around 50,000 BP towards the Middle East and Western Europe: “indeed, nearly all Europeans — and by extension, many Americans — can trace their ancestors to only four mtDNA lines, which appeared between 10,000 and 50,000 years ago and originated from South Asia.”

-Lluís Quintana-Murci,Vincent Macaulay,Stephen Oppenheimer,Michael Petraglia,and their associates

“For me and for Toomas Kivisild, South Asia is logically the ultimate origin of M17(Y-DNA Haplogroup R1a, associated with the male Aryan invasion theory) and his ancestors; and sure enough we find the highest rates and greatest diversity of the M17 line in Pakistan, India, and eastern Iran, and low rates in the Caucasus. M17 is not only more diverse in South Asia than in Central Asia, but diversity characterizes its presence in isolated tribal groups in the south, thus undermining any theory of M17 as a marker of a ‘male Aryan invasion’ of India. One average estimate for the origin of this line in India is as much as 51,000 years. All this suggests that M17 could have found his way initially from India or Pakistan, through Kashmir, then via Central Asia and Russia, before finally coming into Europe.”

-Stephen Oppenheimer

A (2009) study headed by geneticist Swarkar Sharma, collated information for 2809 Indians (681 Brahmins, and 2128 tribals and schedule castes). The results showed "no consistent pattern of the exclusive presence and distribution of Y-haplogroups to distinguish the higher-most caste, Brahmins, from the lower-most ones, schedule castes and tribals". Brahmins from West Bengal showed the highest frequency (72.22%) of Y-haplogroups R1a1* hinting that it may have been a founder lineage for this caste group. The authors found it significant that the Saharia tribe of Madhya Pradesh had not only 28.07% R1a1, but also 22.8% R1a*, out of 57 people, with such a high percentage of R1a* never having been found before. Based on STR variance the estimated age of R1a* in India was 18,478 years, and for R1a1 it was 13,768 years.
In its conclusions the study proposed "the autochthonous origin and tribal links of Indian Brahmins" as well as "the origin of R1a1* ... in the Indian subcontinent".
S. Sharma, argued for an Indian origin of R1a1 lineage among Brahmins, by pointing out the highest incidence of R1a*, ancestral clade to R1a1, among Kashmiri Pandits (Brahmins) and Saharias, an Indian tribe.

- Sharma et al 2009

"This paper rewrites history... there is no north-south divide."
"There is no truth to the Aryan-Dravidian theory as they came hundreds or thousands of years after the ancestral north and south Indians had settled in India."

The study analysed 500,000 genetic markers across the genomes of 132 individuals from 25 diverse groups from 13 states. All the individuals were from six-language families and traditionally upper and lower castes and tribal groups. "The genetics proves that castes grew directly out of tribe-like organizations during the formation of the Indian society."
"Impossible to distinguish between castes and tribes since their genetics proved they were not systematically different."
The present-day Indian population is a mix of ancient north and south bearing the genomic contributions from two distinct ancestral populations - the Ancestral North Indian (ANI) and the Ancestral South Indian (ASI).
"The initial settlement took place 65,000 years ago in the Andamans and in ancient south India around the same time, which led to population growth in this part,'' said Thangarajan. He added, "At a later stage, 40,000 years ago, the ancient north Indians emerged which in turn led to rise in numbers here. But at some point of time, the ancient north and the ancient south mixed, giving birth to a different set of population. And that is the population which exists now and there is a genetic relationship between the population within India."
The study also helps understand why the incidence of genetic diseases among Indians is different from the rest of the world. Singh said that 70% of Indians were burdened with genetic disorders and the study could help answer why certain conditions restricted themselves to one population. For instance, breast cancer among Parsi women, motor neuron diseases among residents of Tirupati and Chittoor, or sickle cell anaemia among certain tribes in central India and the North-East can now be understood better, said researchers.
The researchers, who are now keen on exploring whether Eurasians descended from ANI, find in their study that ANIs are related to western Eurasians, while the ASIs do not share any similarity with any other population across the world.

Thangaraj and Singh at a press conference.

"Reconstructing Indian Population History"

- David Reich, Kumarasamy Thangaraj, Nick Patterson, Alkes L. Price & Lalji Singh

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom