What's new

Army Operation In Swat

Status
Not open for further replies.
well they've alread signed the pipeline i think too late now.I think tapi pipeline will be done by a U.S company though.I'm so glad to hear they regained control of swat hope they put the flags back up !:)

Defence committees to be formed in Swat
Saturday, December 08, 2007

MINGORA: The government will set up “defence committees” in every Swat village to eliminate militancy and bring lasting peace to the area, a government spokesman said on Friday.

The idea to establish these committees came a day after security forces took over the headquarters of firebrand Maulana Fazlullah in Imam Dheri.

‘Locals to run committees’: “Locals will run these committees, which are being formed to block the revival of militancy,” said the spokesman at a media briefing.

He said the security forces would take instant actions against militants on the information provided by these committees. He said the security forces had guarded the areas from Kanju and Mingora to Matta and Khwazakhela during curfew hours to stop the militants from carrying out subversive activities.

The spokesman said the government would soon announce a relief package to provide food, blankets and other basic amenities to the affected people of Swat.

He said the area elders would distribute these relief goods among the people.

No daytime curfew: The curfew would not be clamped in Swat during daytime from today (Saturday), the spokesman said. He said the provincial government would give a reward of Rs 100,000 to Rs 200,000 to a person who gave information about a local or foreign militant, adding that the reward would be given after the arrest of a militant. The name of the informer will not be disclosed, he added.

More than 200 militants had been killed and some arrested in the area since November 24 when the military took the lead after police and paramilitary forces could not guard the district against the onslaught of militants. The spokesman said the security forces continued artillery fire on Thursday night at suspected hideouts of militants in Swat, but gave no details.

Demolishing: Locals on Friday started demolishing houses of militants after troops took over Matta and Khwazakhela, as the district administration also became functional, Online reported.

Some locals told the media that police, with the help of Frontier Corps, had started establishing checkposts in the area. staff report/online

Daily Times

Swat cleared of militants: army
Sunday, December 09, 2007

MINGORA: The Pakistan Army claimed on Saturday that it has cleared almost all militants from Swat after killing 290 rebels and arresting another 143 in recent weeks.

According to AFP, Major General Nasser Janjua said 20,000 troops backed by helicopter gunships and artillery had driven the militants out of their strongholds in an ongoing military operation. “Fazlullah is still on the run with hardcore militants estimated to be between 200 to 400, including some foreigners,” Janjua told reporters here.

“The militants have retreated to two places in the mountains in the northwest of the valley and we will chase them there,” the commander added.

Likely counter-attack: However, Janjua was careful not to claim success, saying the militants remain dangerous and likely will try to regroup for at least one major counter-attack, reported AP. He said officials believe that some of the fighters loyal to Fazlullah have melted into the local populace, while the hardcore supporters have been pushed into the Piochar side valley.

He said Fazlullah had been involved with the “enemy”, and claimed Al Qaeda had played a role in the unrest in the conservative region.

He said five soldiers and six civilians had been killed in the operation and around 20 civilians had also been wounded. He said it would take up to four months to stabilise the region, adding that it would take at least 12 months to reopen the region to tourists.

Matta operation: Meanwhile, Daily Times has learnt that security forces are set to launch a large-scale operation against militants in the Ghat Poochar area of Matta, Swat. Residents say a large number of troops have taken positions on the Baryam Top, traditionally a precursor to a military operation.

Separately, security forces have arrested 24 suspected militants in Kanjoo and Baryam Top areas, including a confidante of cleric Fazlullah, sources said. Fazlullah’s close aide Maulana Muhammad Esa was captured in Swat and shifted to an undisclosed location, sources told Daily Times. staff report/agencies

Daily Times

awesome clips
great news nice to see swat back to normal.Hope this is a lesson learnt for pakistan to never let anything happen again and to be tough with any threats from the beginning.

Remember! it is easy to achieve victory or secure first position but difficult to sustain it!!! so necessary measures need to be taken by the Govt to ensure that the momentum of what has been achieved by military is not broken viz everlasting peace....

Remember! it is easy to achieve victory or secure first position but difficult to sustain it!!! so necessary measures need to be taken by the Govt to ensure that the momentum of what has been achieved by military is not broken viz everlasting peace....

Very true - These terrorists now need to be chased into the next agency they retreat to, and then the next, until every inch of the Tribal areas is cleansed of their ***** - and in their wake the GoP needs to spare no effort to bring about political awareness, education and development.

Pakistani Military Bears Brunt of Taliban Insurgency

The Weekly Standard

The Taliban and al Qaeda continue their relentless attacks against the Pakistani security forces. Since December 13, Taliban and al Qaeda suicide bombings and conventional attacks have claimed the lives of 43 soldiers, paramilitary soldiers, and policemen.

The numbers obtained are from open source reporting from Pakistani news outlets. The Pakistani military has proven to be unreliable with casualty numbers, and has repeatedly under reported the numbers of those killed, wounded, or captured during operations.

Twelve soldiers were killed in a suicide bombing that targeted trainees at a soccer match in Kohat on December 17. Also, the Taliban beheaded a soldier in Khar, Bajaur. Four soldiers were killed during a suicide attack at a military base in Nowshera on December 16. A suicide bomber killed eleven security personnel at a checkpoint in Quetta on December 13. Fifteen soldiers were killed and 38 wounded in a series of Taliban ambushes on military convoys in North Waziristan.

Many of these attacks are occurring inside or along the border of the Northwest Frontier Province. The Pakistani military has much of its nuclear weapons infrastructure in this region.

The Pakistani military is fighting an insurgency that is far more effective and violent than that being waged in Iraq. The Pakistani military is losing more troops in a single week than the U.S. military will lose in Iraq for the entire month, or more.

The Taliban have united under the command of Baitullah Mehsud, the able Pakistani Taliban leader from South Waziristan. Mehsud has beat off multiple military incursions into South Waziristan, most recently at Mir Ali this fall. Called the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan--the Movement of the Taliban in Pakistan--this new organization unites the Taliban of the seven tribal agencies of North and South Waziristan, Khyber, Orakazi, Bajaur, Mohmand, and Kurram, as well as the settled districts of Swat, Bannu, Tank, Lakki Marwat, Dera Ismail Khan, Kohistan, Buner, and the Malakand division.

Posted by Bill Roggio on December 18, 2007 04:49 PM | Permalink

The numbers obtained are from open source reporting from Pakistani news outlets. The Pakistani military has proven to be unreliable with casualty numbers, and has repeatedly under reported the numbers of those killed, wounded, or captured during operations.

There are a lot of problems with this news report. First off, there is no differentiation made between the Paramilitary and the regular army - this is important since the overall message of how effective the Taliban are, that this report seeks to convey, needs to be seen in the context of which force they are primarily engaging.

There is also no basis for the claim that the Pakistan military is "unreliable" in its reporting of casualties. The "open source reports" that are being touted here as objective are often based on the views of witnesses in the area, who often provide "stretcher counts", the military sensibly waits to confirm fatalities. Sensationalist reporting on the basis of eyewitness accounts hours after these incidents cannot be considered more reliable than the Army's figures released after treating everyone involved.

Pakistani Military Bears Brunt of Taliban Insurgency

The Weekly Standard

The Taliban and al Qaeda continue their relentless attacks against the Pakistani security forces. Since December 13, Taliban and al Qaeda suicide bombings and conventional attacks have claimed the lives of 43 soldiers, paramilitary soldiers, and policemen.

Twelve soldiers were killed in a suicide bombing that targeted trainees at a soccer match in Kohat on December 17. Also, the Taliban beheaded a soldier in Khar, Bajaur. Four soldiers were killed during a suicide attack at a military base in Nowshera on December 16. A suicide bomber killed eleven security personnel at a checkpoint in Quetta on December 13. Fifteen soldiers were killed and 38 wounded in a series of Taliban ambushes on military convoys in North Waziristan.

Many of these attacks are occurring inside or along the border of the Northwest Frontier Province. The Pakistani military has much of its nuclear weapons infrastructure in this region.

The Pakistani military is fighting an insurgency that is far more effective and violent than that being waged in Iraq. The Pakistani military is losing more troops in a single week than the U.S. military will lose in Iraq for the entire month, or more.

The Taliban have united under the command of Baitullah Mehsud, the able Pakistani Taliban leader from South Waziristan. Mehsud has beat off multiple military incursions into South Waziristan, most recently at Mir Ali this fall. Called the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan--the Movement of the Taliban in Pakistan--this new organization unites the Taliban of the seven tribal agencies of North and South Waziristan, Khyber, Orakazi, Bajaur, Mohmand, and Kurram, as well as the settled districts of Swat, Bannu, Tank, Lakki Marwat, Dera Ismail Khan, Kohistan, Buner, and the Malakand division.

Posted by Bill Roggio on December 18, 2007 04:49 PM | Permalink

What next pakistan people choose baitullah mehsud as their new PM and fazalullah got his hands on nuclear weapons. So much for the western media.:tdown:

They should do targetted killing of their leaders like the israelis and evacuate civillains and lay siege on their strongholds cut off everything to starve them out.I'm sure the ISI know who and where they are but theres probably sympathetic elements i'm sure the pak army is holding back but it's time to stop.I don't usually say to kill people but dozens of innocent pakistanis are being killed every week i'd say it's even more frequent than iraq and afghanistan now.These dogs don't even leave our children or spare violence in eid that too in a holy place ! I saw in the news today 50+ killed and 100s injured in a mosque suicide bombings and it's tipped me over the edge ! enough is enough and we need to start getting harsh it's the only way to survive got to the point now where it's kill or be killed.

"The Taliban have united under the command of Baitullah Mehsud, the able Pakistani Taliban leader from South Waziristan. Mehsud has beat off multiple military incursions into South Waziristan, most recently at Mir Ali this fall. Called the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan--the Movement of the Taliban in Pakistan--this new organization unites the Taliban of the seven tribal agencies of North and South Waziristan, Khyber, Orakazi, Bajaur, Mohmand, and Kurram, as well as the settled districts of Swat, Bannu, Tank, Lakki Marwat, Dera Ismail Khan, Kohistan, Buner, and the Malakand division."

A.M. is correct in much of his complaint about Roggio's article. At least I, at first glance, had many of the same thoughts. I know, A.M.- most unusual! Still, there was my above quote. It's come up elsewhere and has led to some serious speculation in certain circles.

Has Omar been replaced? The movement arose from Kandahar. Clearly though, the Taliban's infrastructure, relationships, and recruitment depend upon it's established sanctuaries within the communities along the border. How does the Taliban's goals and objectives for Afghanistan change if Mehsud assumes primacy? How are the Taliban's goals different for Pakistan with this presumed Pakistani dominance of an Afghani movement? Are the tribal agencies and the Taliban now firmly intertwined to become one and the same? What influence does al-Qa'ida have upon Mehsud and the tribal agencies?

I've read some of Pakistani army operations in the SWAT district of S.(?)Waziristan since early November. Are they ongoing? Do they involve troops solely from the XI Corps? How many regular forces remain engaged in these operations, if continuing?

There's been discussion of exchanges of philosophies with the Pakistani Army arising from U.S. Army and U.S.M.C. success in Iraq, largely originating in al-Anbar. While not perfectly applicable by any stretch, this approach has yielded some positive benefits. Being a very "bottom-up" discrete approach at the simplest "grass-roots" level, the intent is to attain local security that would permit the entry of PRTs (Provincial Reconstruction Teams), leading ultimately to integrating NGOs and U.N. level assistance at the local level.

If the Pakistani Army intends to continue military operations, how do they intend on affirming their control of these regions? How far, geographically, will these operations extend? All of FATA? S./N. Waziristan? Chitral? NWTP, Kashmir? Baluchistan?

Finally, assuming that these operations are ongoing, would they continue were U.S. aid to be stopped?

I look forward to input on my many questions. I apologize beforehand for so many but I hope that I was, at least, reasonably succinct.:)

About 10 people were killed in suicide blast in Swat

Mangloor area.

Among the dead is also included Asfandyar Amirzeb who was former minister.

He is the son of Wali-e-Swat.

Im realy sad over his death as Amirzeb was an educated young good looking above all a nice person with his education from west.
he was a jewl for his ares.

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom