What's new

Army Officers don't duck

this tradition almost certainly comes from the British Army, where almost suicidal accounts of bravery from officers is documented from the Napoleonic wars onwards. And seems to have been a common trait.

When middle class fights peasants no matter how much we'll equipped the later is the former is bound to snatch victory as he's fighting to maintain and protect his rights - - - - - - -.

in other words he's got more stakes in his society - - - - - - - . And we all know pak military officer cadre predominately comes from the Lower middle and middle class.

Hence not a single event of forces opening fire on Civilian protestors has ever been recorded.

A dead soldier is no good to an Army that has spent millions on his training and grooming. Gallantry is in saving your own and your troop mates lives, acting smart under enemy fire, planning your assault in a way to have minimum casualties. Leading from the front does not mean you jump in front of a volley of bullets or bombs. Gallantry is saving lives of your unit and bringing them back to their families. That’s a sign of a good commander who leads from the front.

There is a tradition of Officers , that has been carried on in the WOT, of Army Officers behaving nonchalantly under fire.

In one case related to me, Infantry soldiers were pinned down while taking a fortified TTP position on a hill.

The Officer a Captain walked calmly from one group of soldiers to another with his head held high, puffs of dust from bullets dancing around his ankles.

I believe the phrase "taking a Sunday stroll" was used to describe his demeanor. The troops seemed to take great encouragement and confidence and in good order took the position.

11 enemy KIA, 3 Captured, and the Unit went on to do further actions and achieved distinction.

This behavior is by no means exceptional, but quite common, from what I know, this tradition almost certainly comes from the British Army, where almost suicidal accounts of bravery from officers is documented from the Napoleonic wars onwards. And seems to have been a common trait.

I do believe that this is one of the reasons that the Officer to Soldier casualty rate in the Pakistani Army is one of the highest in the world. Our Officers lead and fight from the front.

I am personally quite proud of this tradition but other people might have contrary views.
It's common in the whole army, there have been cases where soldiers purposefully were not wearing helmets in hopes of getting martyred.

The obsession of martyrdom in the Pakistan Army is a bit too high and our soldiers need to be educated behind the concept.

On the field bravery should be applauded but an officer is an asset on the battlefield. The line between bravery and recklessness should not be crossed.

In my opinion, the reason that Officers act like that underfire is that it inspires confidence in the men, NCO's also act calm, the biggest danger is panic under fire, not to say these guys are reckless, they are not suicidal it is all calculated.

it is said that there is a thin line between bravery and stupidity.

the moment officers start to duck and hole up while taking fire from enemy and dont move along lines to check on jawans, battle is lost.

Looks all gung ho until the officer gets his brains splattered by a good shot and now there is disarray in the ranks and men figuring out who to follow.

The most senior and experienced US SOCOM make it a point to NEVER be the first one in: they know the value of experience and leadership in a fight... Being smart matters, being brave never won wars.. 47,65,71,99 and all the way until WoT is proof.. we did not win battles until we got smart.

dnt like this tradition . show bravery where there is need to be. Dead soldier or leader is useless in war

Looks all gung ho until the officer gets his brains splattered by a good shot and now there is disarray in the ranks and men figuring out who to follow.

The most senior and experienced US SOCOM make it a point to NEVER be the first one in: they know the value of experience and leadership in a fight... Being smart matters, being brave never won wars.. 47,65,71,99 and all the way until WoT is proof.. we did not win battles until we got smart.

It is contextual. If somehow an officer has to deal with highly demoralized soldiers, then non-chalant stupidity might be needed to project an image of bravery, instilling discipline within scattering ranks. In my opinion, this should not be needed if the soldiers are properly trained. Inasmuch as the officer is responsible for training his soldiers, he stands obligated to stick his neck out when demoralization looms.

If the military officers are still insistent on taking strolls under the fusillade of enemy fire, then at least they should do so while wearing something similar to EOD suit of bomb disposal unit.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom