What's new

Army Officers don't duck

Rafi

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
There is a tradition of Officers , that has been carried on in the WOT, of Army Officers behaving nonchalantly under fire.

In one case related to me, Infantry soldiers were pinned down while taking a fortified TTP position on a hill.

The Officer a Captain walked calmly from one group of soldiers to another with his head held high, puffs of dust from bullets dancing around his ankles.

I believe the phrase "taking a Sunday stroll" was used to describe his demeanor. The troops seemed to take great encouragement and confidence and in good order took the position.

11 enemy KIA, 3 Captured, and the Unit went on to do further actions and achieved distinction.

This behavior is by no means exceptional, but quite common, from what I know, this tradition almost certainly comes from the British Army, where almost suicidal accounts of bravery from officers is documented from the Napoleonic wars onwards. And seems to have been a common trait.

I do believe that this is one of the reasons that the Officer to Soldier casualty rate in the Pakistani Army is one of the highest in the world. Our Officers lead and fight from the front.

I am personally quite proud of this tradition but other people might have contrary views.

Last edited:
staying alive is much more important to achieve the objective.
let the enemy die for his cause or country rather than yourself

such confidence and bravery is very inspiring but this can vary from situation to situation.
in this instance quoted in OP the leading officer's behavior encouraged the soldiers under fire and they finished off the enemy.

knowing very well that popping your head out will get it blown away for sure might not be advisable though
but then again its all fine when leading a frontal charge on an enemy position.

putting yourself at risk and inspiring your men is all good as long as it serves the purpose of the mission.

staying alive is much more important to achieve the objective.
let the enemy die for his cause or country rather than yourself

such confidence and bravery is very inspiring but this can vary from situation to situation.
in this instance quoted in OP the leading officer's behavior encouraged the soldiers under fire and they finished off the enemy.

knowing very well that popping your head out will get it blown away for sure might not be advisable though
but then again its all fine when leading a frontal charge on an enemy position.

putting yourself at risk and inspiring your men is all good as long as it serves the purpose of the mission.
agreed, i believe in US army such traditions are usually discouraged in favour of logical thinking

I think Nazi had highest ratio even when they were winning... just stats...

maybe having a chilly attitudes in such intense / harsh fire fights keeps the soldiers calm , I can't say for sure as I am a civilian but that might be one reason , they try to walk across the fire so easily they just don't want their team to feel the fear or tense situation they are in .

There is a tradition of Officers , that has been carried on in the WOT, of Army Officers behaving nonchalantly under fire.

In one case related to me, Infantry soldiers were pinned down while taking a fortified TTP position on a hill.

The Officer a Captain walked calmly from one group of soldiers to another with his head held high, puffs of dust from bullets dancing around his ankles.

I believe the phrase "taking a Sunday stroll" was used to describe his demeanor. The troops seemed to take great encouragement and confidence and in good order took the position.

11 enemy KIA, 3 Captured, and the Unit went on to do further actions and achieved distinction.

This behavior is by no means exceptional, but quite common, from what I know, this tradition almost certainly comes from the British Army, where almost suicidal accounts of bravery from officers is documented from the Napoleonic wars onwards. And seems to have been a common trait.

I do believe that this is one of the reasons that the Officer to Soldier casualty rate in the Pakistani Army is one of the highest in the world. Our Officers lead and fight from the front.

I am personally quite proud of this tradition but other people might have contrary views.
That's is great and all, but its complete idiotic for them to do that. Do you realize how much state resources and time goes into creating one officer? This isnt rhe 1800s where bullets fried from muskets drop like flies within a few feet. This is pure negligence and should be punished, officers need to think outside to box while motivating soilders and the spilest solution to this might be creating banners and trumpets. During heavy engagement if the troops lose motivation, banners of the unit should be raised along with constant trumpets. This will not only act as a form of psychological warfare but also help motivate. This is brave but extremely inefficient and plain stupid.

agreed, i believe in US army such traditions are usually discouraged in favour of logical thinking
For a damn good reason!

Hi,

This practise was tried by the british army in the then united states centuries ago---.

The 'rebels' had trained snipers started taking out the officers---the british came crying---. The rebel snipers literally broke the british army's back---.

This is tactically a bad practice---. It is not that I am not proud of my officer---but in the modern day war---a good officer is worth more than 10000 soldiers----or is basically irreplacable---.

I think that this practice needs to be changed---. Just need to educate and train the corporals and nco's to step up to the plate and think like leaders of their troops---just like they do in the US military---.

Pak military just needs to emulate the US marines in their training---.

Last edited:
Once you have done the uniform and volunteered to lead the mission, you have shown you are no coward, this is where the bravery must stop. The most important duty of any soldier/officer is to minimize the loss of life and achieve the target. One life lost is one small victory for the enemy. Taking foolish and unnecessary risks and being irresponsible about ones life is not bravery. If getting killed was bravery then suiciders would be called martyrs.

Found an interesting video on this subject. The guys has a tendency to go off on a tangent but still worth a watch.

Still troops, jawans engaging enemies on front line should wear dependable bullet proof vests, body armor.

Every good army has this culture and our officers are sacrificing lives for defending own country only recently iran and russian army generals are killed in fighting isis in Syria which is not their country .This is the cost of keeping your freedom and influence

Back
Top Bottom