What's new

Army General GD Bakshi's speech equated to 'hate-mongering' by IIT-Madras student

His words are probably taken out of context. He might be talking of repaying back in the same sense we face in Kashmir through ISI fundings of jehadis.

I am just going by his past performance in studios... surprise me... :)

I don't even want to- One can wake up a sleeping person but can't wake the one pretending- I asked you a simple question as you have been the advocate of Politics on the campus of IIT Madras- Compared to what Politics can usually be on campus the General even in his most evil forms would look like a saint-

no, I said IIT should not have invited a person known to give such utterances... the good general did his duty to the nation, just like you are doing here..
its like playing 'haseena hunterwali' in a multiplex... not everybody can stomach the horrible acting.

Major General has a standing ; a public profile

It does nt matter which side of the political divide he stands

So you mean to say they should have Invited Rahul Gandhi or Kejriwal

His words are probably taken out of context. He might be talking of repaying back in the same sense we face in Kashmir through ISI fundings of jehadis.

That is exactly what he was trying to say- If this is fascism- The we are fascists bigots by resisting any aggression by any external territory hungry state Including Pakistan- I know this man- I have never seen him as a warmonger- He is very happy with peace given there is peace- Those of you who have seen him on TV would notice he always asks the Pakistanis to shun the violence or face consequences as they have in the past- What concerns him the most is the number civilian deaths which militants have been able to accomplish at will-

If LUMS invites hafeez sayeed and he proceeds to exhort the students to break up India... and one student writes a strongly worded letter to LUMS admin calling it hate speech, will it be intolerance?
the right thing to do for IIT admin is to dissociate themselves from what the honorable gentleman said... if a student says it, its different, its part of different voices in the campus... a guest of honour saying it seems to be an official endorsement(which it is not am sure).

If LUMS invites hafeez sayeed and he proceeds to exhort the students to break up India... and one student writes a strongly worded letter to LUMS admin calling it hate speech, will it be intolerance?

Ok, let me understand your question before I answer it. If LUMS invites a Terrorist with UN bounty on his head, accused of perpetrating an attack which killed 166 people and injured 600, calls to break up India, which has never initiated a unilateral offensive on Pakistan since it's inception, will that be Hate speech, You might have answered your own question , but sure yes. That would be Hate speech.

What I am amused with is the example, where you had to draw a comparison with Gen Bakshi of the Jammu and Kashmir Rifles, who was awarded Vishisht Seva Medal for commanding a battalion in operations in Kargil (incidentally against Pakistan - the same country he is speaking against), Sena Medal for distinguished service in Counter terror Ops ( again against Pakistani backed insurgents) and has published 35 books and authored over 200 papers in many research journals and has been a faculty at the the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun and the prestigious Defence Services Staff College at Wellington; With Hafiz Saeed.

Wow.

just wow.
As far as IIT madras, you may agree or disagree with him, its not hate speech and sorry but it's not fascism. He has the authority to speak on strategic matters, he has the credentials to do so. If you find that as hate speech, you would find most of Indian military views quite hateful and I would highly advice to tread with caution while interacting with defense circles. Their views on strategic matters like redrawing maps of other countries for strategic planning might quite severely offend you.

Sorry. Wrong address. These are not my views. And I cannot understand what security 'paradigm' you are speaking about if you do not agree with his definition as a fascist. If his view of national security is not an extreme nationalist one, what is it? And if extreme nationalism is not a feature of fascism among other features, what else is fascism?
If Facism is charecterized by the following defination;
Fascists believe that liberal democracy is obsolete, and they regard the complete mobilization of society under a totalitarian one-party state as necessary to prepare a nation for armed conflict and to respond effectively to economic difficulties.Such a state is led by a strong leader—such as a dictator and a martial government composed of the members of the governing fascist party—to forge national unity and maintain a stable and orderly society.Fascism rejects assertions that violence is automatically negative in nature, and views political violence, war, and imperialism as means that can achieve national rejuvenation.Fascists advocate a mixed economy, with the principal goal of achieving autarky through protectionist and interventionist economic policies.

I find his views on National security as over imaginative, and very aggressive, how is it nationalist or utra nationalist.
And by taking the extreme nationalism as a subset of facism to justify Gen Bakshi Being Facist, wouldn't he also classify as a Nazi, afterall extreme nationalism was also a feature of Nazism. (Also lets not forget revolutionary patriotism was a key feature of Stalin)

Given the entireity of the philosophy it certainly doesn't fit Gen Bakshi. and there are multiple staff colleges which carry exercises of redrawing maps to explore strategic permutations, Gen Bakshi finds it fit to take the fight to Pakistan and he might be wrong, but still in my opinion doesn't make him fascist.

Lets not forget the life he has led, nothing in his service seems to be of fascist tendencies.

Last edited:
As far as IIT madras, you may agree or disagree with him, its not hate speech and sorry but it's not fascism. He has the authority to speak on strategic matters, he has the credentials to do so. If you find that as hate speech, you would find most of Indian military views quite hateful and I would highly advice to tread with caution while interacting with defense circles. Their views on strategic matters like redrawing maps of other countries for strategic planning might quite severely offend you.

This person has been at the helm of affairs- he has seen his men die his friends and civilians alike face the wrath of war- Unlike some armchair enthusiasts who are driven by emotion and have no idea about war- I am quite sure he understands what It takes to be there after serving several years of his life at doing his Job including anti-insurgency-

Ok, lets let me understand your question before I answer it. If LUMS invites a Terrorist with UN bounty on his head, accused of perpetrating an attack which killed 166 people and injured 600, calls to break up India, which has never initiated a unilateral offensive on Pakistan since it's inception, will that be Hate speech, You might have answered your own question , but sure yes. That would be Hate speech.

What I am amused with is the example, where you had to draw a comparison with Gen Bakshi of the Jammu and Kashmir Rifles, who was awarded Vishisht Seva Medal for commanding a battalion in operations in Kargil (incidentally against Pakistan - the same country he is speaking against), Sena Medal for distinguished service in Counter terror Ops ( again against Pakistani backed insurgents) and has published 35 books and authored over 200 papers in many research journals and has been a faculty at the the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun and the prestigious Defence Services Staff College at Wellington; With Hafiz Saeed.

Wow.

just wow.

If Facism is charecterized by the following defination;
Fascists believe that liberal democracy is obsolete, and they regard the complete mobilization of society under a totalitarian one-party state as necessary to prepare a nation for armed conflict and to respond effectively to economic difficulties.Such a state is led by a strong leader—such as a dictator and a martial government composed of the members of the governing fascist party—to forge national unity and maintain a stable and orderly society.Fascism rejects assertions that violence is automatically negative in nature, and views political violence, war, and imperialism as means that can achieve national rejuvenation.Fascists advocate a mixed economy, with the principal goal of achieving autarky through protectionist and interventionist economic policies.

it certainly doesn't fit Gen Bakshi.

Lets not forget the life he has led, nothing in his service seems to of fascist tendencies.

If he does nt understand the Difference between Hafiz saeed and Major General Bakshi
even NOW ie after your MOST wonderful explanation

It would be case of PEARLS BEFORE S......

its like playing 'haseena hunterwali' in a multiplex... not everybody can stomach the horrible acting.
But then again, Not everybody could stomach Debbie does Dallas in the same multiplex, but when it screened the intolerance brigade hounded everybody for it's right to be screened, now for Hassena hunterwali, it's unpalatable, right?

Last edited:
If this retired General is thinking in these ways now, he must have had the same thoughts when he was in active duty, which reflects a bit of the Indian army's frame of thought..One can then understand why Pakistan is that wary of India's intentions..Although I find the speech a bit too farfetched..

ah so you too think its in bad taste....

I don't even want to- One can wake up a sleeping person but can't wake the one pretending- I asked you a simple question as you have been the advocate of Politics on the campus of IIT Madras- Compared to what Politics can usually be on campus the General even in his most evil forms would look like a saint-
alright... fine... its okey to invite him now that they have invited other characters... but good thing that a student called him out... for far too long a section of society has been held at higher pedestral and allowed to go unchallenged just because of their profession...

Considering Teesta and Rajdeep Sardesai spoke at same venue earlier, I don't think inviting Gen Bakshi was that bad.
ok.got your point... teesta and rajdeep are not part of establishment.. nobody will accuse a govt funded institution of endorsing such views.... may be they can reply to this young man saying that..

Where has he disappeared now- Is he usually like that ?
yeah sometime i do that..

alright... fine... its okey to invite him now that they have invited other characters... but good thing that a student called him out... for far too long a section of society has been held at higher pedestral and allowed to go unchallenged just because of their profession...

Armed forces are the Most important part of India
given the threats that this country faces

SO dont be jealous of the PEDESTAL on which Indian Armed forces are placed

Secondly whatever his views are ; he is not the PM who takes decisions in India

He is an opinion MAKER ; just as that Anti national Barkha dutt is an opinion maker
who would like India to donate Kashmir to Pakistan

Since Barkha dutt is already sitting on a PEDESTAL and preaching her BS
we too have every right to put
nationalists on a Higher pedestal

Armed forces are the Most important part of India
given the threats that this country faces

SO dont be jealous of the PEDESTAL on which Indian Armed forces are placed

Secondly whatever his views are ; he is not the PM who takes decisions in India

He is an opinion MAKER ; just as that Anti national Barkha dutt is an opinion maker
who would like India to donate Kashmir to Pakistan

Since Barkha dutt is already sitting on a PEDESTAL and preaching her BS
we too have every right to put
nationalists on a Higher pedestal
okk.

What profession are you hinting towards- Military service ?

I am sure you understand Politics on on campus since you are the one advocating It- Objection is not uncommon- and every one has the right to object- It helps in clarifications of objectives of the objecting person has in his political agenda- So It is healthy and good-

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom