What's new

Army copter damaged after hitting barrier

I wonder what's going to happen to pilot? Would he be moved out from PAA or gets reprimanded and be grounded for a while

I wonder what's going to happen to pilot? Would he be moved out from PAA or gets reprimanded and be grounded for a while
Most probably reprimanded, nothing more IF it's Pilot error. The accident could also have a technical angle e.g. wind shear etc

Last edited:
That looks like a write off, the tail boom is pretty severely hit and the shaft has all but collapsed.
They could get it flying again but it would be a massive danger to pilots and anyone in the flightpath of it. Its not a car that can be just welded back and put into the air.

This MI was recently overhauled...The main rotor is also slightly damaged... considered write off...

Would be interesting to know the exact circumstances.

Never been to Kohat base so don't know the layout, but I don't fancy that a container would be this close to the runway threshold. And what is that Shama basmati container doing on the flightline. (Was this the container which the heli hit?).

Either a case of gross pilot error or maybe a sudden gust of wind contributing loss of lift.

The aircraft is a write off unless the tail boom can be replaced as one unit extending from the fuselage! But since that may cost a lot considering following air worthiness certifications etc, call in the local kabariyaa and sell the hull for its weight in precious metal. Canabalise the rest of the parts into other units as spares etc.

If it was determined beyond doubt that it was pilot error, then yes there will be consequences. Since two pilots must have been at the controls, they'll need to piece together what happened. Wind gusts or shears cannot be excused unless it was a severe, unexpected draft, because normally pilots are trained to handle those......that's where they start earning their paychecks.

That looks like a write off, the tail boom is pretty severely hit and the shaft has all but collapsed.
They could get it flying again but it would be a massive danger to pilots and anyone in the flightpath of it. Its not a car that can be just welded back and put into the air.

Depends on the material of construction, Aluminium will not be usually welded. In any case, the structure of the tail is a rib and spar type with panels riveted around it, so i am sure it can be repaired, but cost would be an issue. Is repair going to cost more than the salvage value of all the parts (engines, cab all in good condition) then it won't be done.
Also, the tail bears the counter torque load coming from the the tail rotor, and otherwise does not bear any chopper weight for lift purposes since all of it is borne by the main rotor wings.

The helicopter will be repairable but like post 20 says it will be dangerous.
And security measures need to be updated with pilot inputs and difficult weather conditions with variance given for pilot error.

Depends on helicopter repair and rebuild facility. Since both main and tail rotors are damaged, it is safe to assume that the gearbox and transmission also must have sustained some internal damage.

But my understanding is Pakistani Mi-17 were acquired not that long ago and they are pretty much new. So probably it will be repaired even if it costs a few million dollars in parts. You can not throw out 18 million dollars to salvage, like that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom