Country
Pakistan
It is all in the "national interest" and "ideology of Pakistan" I suppose:

Armed forces running 33 petrol pumps, 62 shopping centres - thenews.com.pk

Armed forces running 33 petrol pumps, 62 shopping centres

News Desk
Thursday, April 03, 2014
From Print Edition

RAWALPINDI: The National Assembly was told on Wednesday that in certain cantonment areas of the country, the Pakistan armed forces were running at least 33 petrol pumps and 62 shopping centres and markets.

In response to a question by Beelum Hasnain, the defence ministry submitted a written reply to the assembly in which it also mentioned that 54 schools were also operational under the armed forces in the cantonment areas.

According to the details provided by the ministry, there were three petrol pumps of the armed forces, one shopping centre in the Sargodha Circle, two petrol pumps, one shopping centre, 14 schools in the Multan Circle, four petrol pumps, 35 shopping centres, 13 schools in the Lahore Circle, seven petrol pumps, three shopping centres, two schools in the Gujranwala Circle, three petrol pumps and two shopping centres in the Hyderabad Circle, two petrol pumps, seven shopping centres, three schools in the Karachi Circle, seven petrol pumps, six shopping centres, five schools in the Rawalpindi Circle and five petrol pumps, seven shopping centres and 17 schools in the Abbottabad Circle.

In its written reply, the defence ministry did not show the income from these petrol pumps, shopping centres and schools. Also it did not inform the House whether this amount had been submitted to the national kitty or not.

However, it has been mentioned in the reply that the relevant board of officers was drawing an estimate of the total income. After such an estimate was made, the respective details will be submitted to the House.

The defence ministry is of the view that the largest number of shopping centres and markets are situated in the Lahore Circle. This number is found to be 35. Moreover, the largest number of petrol pumps are located in Gujranwala and Rawalpindi circles. There are seven petrol pumps in each of these circles.

In the cantonment areas of the militancy-hit capital of Balochistan i.e. Quetta, there are seven shopping centres of the armed forces, while in the Abbottabad Circle and Rawalpindi Circle, there are seven and six shopping centres respectively.

Most of the schools are located in the Abbottabad Circle. Their number is 17. It is pertinent to mention here that the reply covers only the details of businesses run by the armed forces in the country’s cantonment areas. Armed forces and institutions such as Rangers also run petrol pumps, bakeries and general stores in areas other than cantonment, the details of which have not been given in the defence ministry’s written reply.

Last edited:
Good if they must be giving Petrol at subsidized rate.

It is all in the "national interest" and "ideology of Pakistan" I suppose:

Armed forces running 33 petrol pumps, 62 shopping centres - thenews.com.pk

Armed forces running 33 petrol pumps, 62 shopping centres

News Desk
Thursday, April 03, 2014
From Print Edition

RAWALPINDI: The National Assembly was told on Wednesday that in certain cantonment areas of the country, the Pakistan armed forces were running at least 33 petrol pumps and 62 shopping centres and markets.

In response to a question by Beelum Hasnain, the defence ministry submitted a written reply to the assembly in which it also mentioned that 54 schools were also operational under the armed forces in the cantonment areas.

According to the details provided by the ministry, there were three petrol pumps of the armed forces, one shopping centre in the Sargodha Circle, two petrol pumps, one shopping centre, 14 schools in the Multan Circle, four petrol pumps, 35 shopping centres, 13 schools in the Lahore Circle, seven petrol pumps, three shopping centres, two schools in the Gujranwala Circle, three petrol pumps and two shopping centres in the Hyderabad Circle, two petrol pumps, seven shopping centres, three schools in the Karachi Circle, seven petrol pumps, six shopping centres, five schools in the Rawalpindi Circle and five petrol pumps, seven shopping centres and 17 schools in the Abbottabad Circle.

In its written reply, the defence ministry did not show the income from these petrol pumps, shopping centres and schools. Also it did not inform the House whether this amount had been submitted to the national kitty or not.

However, it has been mentioned in the reply that the relevant board of officers was drawing an estimate of the total income. After such an estimate was made, the respective details will be submitted to the House.

The defence ministry is of the view that the largest number of shopping centres and markets are situated in the Lahore Circle. This number is found to be 35. Moreover, the largest number of petrol pumps are located in Gujranwala and Rawalpindi circles. There are seven petrol pumps in each of these circles.

In the cantonment areas of the militancy-hit capital of Balochistan i.e. Quetta, there are seven shopping centres of the armed forces, while in the Abbottabad Circle and Rawalpindi Circle, there are seven and six shopping centres respectively.

Most of the schools are located in the Abbottabad Circle. Their number is 17. It is pertinent to mention here that the reply covers only the details of businesses run by the armed forces in the country’s cantonment areas. Armed forces and institutions such as Rangers also run petrol pumps, bakeries and general stores in areas other than cantonment, the details of which have not been given in the defence ministry’s written reply.

as long as its unaccounted, its illegal, else if its to fulfill needs of small nature, at their own, its okay?

These are obviously run by retired personnel. I guess part of their income is channeled into the armed forces welfare fund.

It's a good thing in a way as the civilian dispensation cares two hoots for the welfare of serving as well as retired personnel of the armed forces in most countries including India.

as long as its unaccounted, its illegal, else if its to fulfill needs of small nature, at their own, its okay?

Such businesses must be audited properly and a level playing field with the competitors from the civilian side ensured. But both things are not allowed to happen.

Armed forces and institutions such as Rangers also run petrol pumps, bakeries and general stores in areas other than cantonment, the details of which have not been given in the defence ministry’s written reply.

Which Petrol Pumps/Bakery/General stores are being run by Armed Forces outside cant. area ??

Such businesses must be audited properly and a level playing field with the competitors from the civilian side ensured. But both things are not allowed to happen.

Exactly.. but here Army chief goes to PM house uninvited (happened yesterday)

Which Petrol Pumps/Bakery/General stores are being run by Armed Forces outside cant. area ??

I know one in Rahwali, Gujranwala cantt. also that rangers headquarters in Saddar area lahore give their grounds for weddings and other functions. they also provide catering and food facilities.

seemingly I find it unprofessional but yet keeping in mind the needs of small nature, its okay to do so, but it must not be unaccounted. and it must be externally audited and like @VCheng said equal playing ground be given to civilian business in the area.

I know one in Rahwali, Gujranwala cantt. also that rangers headquarters in Saddar area lahore give their grounds for weddings and other functions. they also provide catering and food facilities.

The NLC Pump is being run by NLC itself and is part of proper cant. and its primary purpose is to provide fuel for NLC trucks . The other pump at Quaid e Azam Avenue (Bank Mor) is also cant. and it is not run by Army directly .

And Punjab Rangers is not Pak Army !!

The details of such businesses need to be disclosed by the Military for all of its branches and locations. Keeping them hidden by not mentioning the details in the written response to the National Assembly only provokes suspicion. (Sunshine is the best disinfectant.)

seemingly I find it unprofessional but yet keeping in mind the needs of small nature, its okay to do so, but it must not be unaccounted. and it must be externally audited and like @VCheng said equal playing ground be given to civilian business in the area.

Do you know anything about CMA ?? It is a civilian establishment meant for internal Audit (It is answerable to finance division of ministry of defence) . And do you know anything about DAC and PAC ?? Army is not above accountability

The details of such businesses need to be disclosed by the Military for all of its branches and locations. Keeping them hidden by not mentioning the details in the written response to the National Assembly only provokes suspicion. (Sunshine is the best disinfectant.)

Nothing is hidden from the ministry of defence i.e Federal Govt. And Army does not run "business" outside cant .

Nothing is hidden from the ministry of defence i.e Federal Govt. And Army does not run "businesses" outside cant .

If that is indeed correct, a statement to this effect should have been included in the written response for not only the Army but its ancillaries as well. Such an omission is not correct.

If that is indeed correct, a statement to this effect should have been included in the written response for not only the Army but its ancillaries as well. Such an omission is not correct.

The Defence Ministry i.e Federal Govt . did not include this in the written response as "there are no businesses run by PA outside cant. areas" !! . And Punjab Rangers are under the direct control of the "Ministry of Interior" (Not M.O.D except command) .... I don`t know which idiot has written this article

Last edited:
The Defence Ministry i.e Federal Govt . did not include this in the written response as "there are no businesses run by PA outside cant. areas" !! . And Punjab Rangers are under "Ministry of Interior" (Not M.O.D) .... I don`t know which idiot has written this article

The article is quoted as being from the "News Desk".

The basic argument remains: Even if only within cantonment areas, are such commercial activities appropriate for the military forces?

The article is quoted as being from the "News Desk".

The basic argument remains: Even if only within cantonment areas, are such commercial activities appropriate for the military forces?

Why an american care what Pakistan Army does so to generate income and disburse it among retired personals?

Back
Top Bottom