What's new

Arjun News & Discussions

arjun1.jpg

arjun2.jpg
Wasn't there reports that the TankEx was fielded in the trials too? Would have been interesting to compare its performance to T90 and Arjun, especially as an possible upgrade for T72s.

I dont think Tank Ex was fielded along side the T90 and Arjun. coz thats just in prototype phase and not matured.

Let me search some link.

Army to purchase more Arjun tanks!

dsc01986is.jpg

:victory:
Ajai Shukla / New Delhi April 14, 2010, 0:37 IST

New Arjuns will fire anti-tank missiles; have extra armour protection

The success of the indigenous Arjun main battle tank (MBT) in desert trials last month is generating additional army orders for a tank that is emerging as a notable research and development (R&D) success. Meanwhile, the Arjun is becoming more capable; the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), which designed the Arjun, says that all future Arjuns will incorporate major improvements, including the ability to fire missiles.

Business Standard had reported (Arjun tank outruns, outguns T-90, March 25, 2010) that the Arjun tank had conclusively outperformed the Russian T-90 — the army’s current frontline MBT — in trials conducted in early March by the Bikaner-based 180 Armoured Brigade.

The army is still evaluating that trial report to decide how many additional Arjuns it should order, over and above the existing order of 124 tanks. But, the question before the army is no longer whether to order more Arjuns; rather, it is how many to order? Highly placed Ministry of Defence (MoD) sources confirm that the army is moving away from its staunch opposition to the Arjun.

The DRDO, meanwhile, is working overtime to sweeten the deal. S Sundaresh, the DRDO’s Chief Controller for Armaments and Combat Engineering, has told Business Standard, that all Arjuns now ordered will fire anti-tank guided missiles through the tank’s main gun; provide extra protection for the tank’s crew through explosive reactive armour, or ERA; be fitted with thermal imaging panoramic sights that allow the Arjun’s commander to scan his surroundings even by night; and incorporate at least seven other improvements over the current Arjuns.

“We had test-fired the Israeli LAHAT missile through the Arjun gun as far back as in 2005”, pointed out Sundaresh. “It will take us about six months to integrate the LAHAT’s designator into the Arjun’s fire control system.”

The addition of two tonnes of ERA will increase the weight of the Arjun to just over 60 tonnes, making it one of the world’s heaviest tanks. But, the DRDO claims that its powerful 1,500-Horse Power engine easily handles the extra weight.

“The ERA will protect the Arjun’s crews from enemy missiles. Initially we will fit the same Russian ERA that protects the T-90 and the T-72. But, we will also develop our own indigenous ERA.”

An early order from the army would be crucial, says the DRDO, for continuity in the Arjun production line at the Heavy Vehicles Factory (HVF) near Chennai. The current order of 124 Arjuns will occupy the production line until end-2011. For the next order of Arjuns to hit the production line then, the order would have to be placed now. That would allow 18 months for provisioning of components, such as armour sheets and sub-systems that are manufactured by ancillary suppliers. That period also caters for the purchase of foreign systems, eg the engine from MTU, Germany.

“Continuity is vital for quality control”, explain officials from HVF Avadi. “We have instituted systems for quality control in the current order of Arjuns, which is why they performed so reliably during trials. These systems will wither away if the production line shuts down for lack of orders.”

Since the Arjun’s assembly takes 12-18 months, a fresh order of Arjuns will start being delivered 30-36 months after the order is placed. Thereafter, HVF will deliver 30 Arjuns per year if it operates with just one shift of workers; 50 tanks per year with two shifts.

Army to purchase more Arjun tanks

excellent news, this coupled with news of T-95's possible cancellation could be a blessing in disguise for the Arjun and future Indian tanks!!
Still waiting on the official army report though, that should clear up quite a few things on the army's future roadmap.

Arjun Vs T-90

Time of the Day: MBT (No.of Tgts Assigned) No.of Sucessful Hits

B4 Noon T-90 (11) 9
Noon T-90 (11) 4
Night time T-90 (15) 7

B4 Noon Arjun (11) 11
Noon Arjun (11) 10
Night time Arjun (15) 15

Crew on the Arjun felt the comfort riding the tank and were pretty much happy continuing the shift for night trials,while a heavily tired T-90 crew insisted a shift change after noon trials.

Arjun consistency and accuracy afterall proved beyond doubt and wide spread criticism.

Last edited:
Jai Ho....

There will be obvious accusations of IA being forced into buying more to save face. But hey, who cares when the words are accompanied by the all so familiar wiff of jealousy...;)

That's a great news!!!:yahoo:

Indian army should order 2000 aryan and dump ALL T-90s. :cheers:

hehehehe.................at last army falls in line.

this shows arjun was that much good that army had no other choice but to get more

Arjun Vs T-90

B4 Noon T-90 (11) 9
Noon T-90 (11) 4
Night time T-90 (15) 7

B4 Noon Arjun (11) 11
Noon Arjun (11) 10
Night time Arjun (15) 15

Crew on the Arjun felt the comfort riding the tank and were pretty much happy continuing the shift for night trials,while a heavily tired T-90 crew insisted a shift change after noon trials.

Arjun consistency and accuracy afterall proved beyond doubt and wide spread criticism.

Man believe me I was aware of bolder part because of my friend from IA. I was even aware of that fact the Arjun's gun was more accurate but this data was not available to me :D

One more thing which you might not be aware of Arjun was tested to such an extent (during initial trails) that even T90 can't survive those tests. Also, chances of survival are more for Arjun and its crew.

After successful trials in march, TOP BRASS of indian army was looking for excuses to cover all this mess :agree: and if my source is correct, 250 MkI + n number of MkII Arjuns will serve IA. Mr. Antony is highly embarrassed because of IA stand on Arjun and GoI efforts to achieve self reliance in defense sector.

Arjun Vs T-90

B4 Noon T-90 (11) 9
Noon T-90 (11) 4
Night time T-90 (15) 7

B4 Noon Arjun (11) 11
Noon Arjun (11) 10
Night time Arjun (15) 15

please provide the source

Arjun Vs T-90

B4 Noon T-90 (11) 9
Noon T-90 (11) 4
Night time T-90 (15) 7

B4 Noon Arjun (11) 11
Noon Arjun (11) 10
Night time Arjun (15) 15

LOVELY :smitten::yahoo:

Source please. Thanks.

VF will deliver 30 Arjuns per year i

If the Indian Army truly believed in the Arjun, this would not be the case. I think they're not impressed by its performance and are trying to save face.

If the Indian Army truly believed in the Arjun, this would not be the case. I think they're not impressed by its performance and are trying to save face.

Yes, Thank you.... anything else to contribute??

Back
Top Bottom