What's new

Arjun News & Discussions

Why not army induct arjun in large no. as of army has to replace there T-55 & Vijayanta next 10 yr it is better tank but the problem it is senior army officer did not get money from indigenous product

You don't get it do you? The Arjun did not meet all the test requirements. It selected the underpowered engine to start with, and later on it gained a lot of weight that forced the engineers to redesign for a bigger engine. Then the tract breaks down every 300 km, and it has problem with heat, and the Arjun will crush most Indian domestic bridge with its 60ton weight... the list goes on.

The Indian army simple doesn't want it. But to save face, it ordered 126 for training purposes. Meanwhile, it got a **** load of T-90s to replace the older tanks. Arjun is officially dead.

At last after years & years of work & millions of Dollars we are getting Arjun(k) inducted, but only 126 Arjun(k), strange

Seems IA just want to cover up the Failure

they wont be taking any risk......................What i think is that for extending the life of the project for a possible success, they are making such a move.........Definitely Arjuns would be going in Upgrades as the development picks up.:coffee:

now that the drdo has learned a lesson it must channel its resources(which it is already doing) into unmanned BMP,future infantry vehicle,future unmanned tanks(much more similar to future combat systems)but it has to make sure that these are incremental and evolutionary and not rushed especially wen u have the russians joining hands.the nation wishes the best for the cvrde to change past images.:cheers:

Why not army induct arjun in large no. as of army has to replace there T-55 & Vijayanta next 10 yr it is better tank but the problem it is senior army officer did not get money from indigenous product
Arjun is not a big hit. The following is quoted from wikipedia

Trials and exercise

[edit]July 2005
During the summer trials in 2005, it was reported that the Arjun suffered major problems with its main gun sight, suspension system, and fire control system. Moreover, engine failures occurred commonly in temperatures averaging 55-60 degrees Celsius.
[edit]Summer 2006
There are conflicting accounts of Arjun's trial results in 2006. In 2007, Major General H.M. Singh, a director in charge of trial and evaluation, said that the last year's user field trial report had certified that the accuracy and consistency of the weapon system was proved beyond doubt."[30][31] However, the 2006 army trial results showed that "the decade-old problems of overheating persist" and that "tank’s main subsystems, the fire control system (FCS) and integrated gunner’s main sight, which includes a thermal imager and laser range-finder, are rendered erratic and useless by the Arjun’s abnormally high peak internal temperature, which moves well beyond 55 degrees Celsius. This is in testimony to the Parliamentary committee."[32]
[edit]Exercise 2007
The Arjun tank was fielded during the Ashwamedha exercise in the deserts of Rajasthan.[33] The army was extremely unhappy with the tank, citing 14 defects that included "deficient fire control system". "inaccuracy of its guns", "low speeds in tactical areas", and "inability to operate over 50 degrees Celsius".[34]. "The Army is now faced with a troubling prospect: inducting a lumbering, misfiring, vintage design tank like the Arjun, and that, too, in large numbers"[32]. This, after DRDO over-shot Arjun’s project deadline by 16 years — from 1984 to 1995, finally closing the project only in 2000 — and the cost over-run is almost 20 times the original estimate. This is the highest percentage over-run for any DRDO project.[32]
[edit]September 2007 winter trials
Starting with the September 2007 winter trials, the Indian army deemed Arjun's performance unsatisfactory, including at least four engine failures.
DRDO, on the other hand, insisted the tank was a viable choice for adoption and suggested the unsatisfactory performance of the engine during the winter trials was due to sabotage.
[edit]2008 summer trials
Auxiliary User Cum reliability trials (AUCRT) of the Arjun MBT was conducted from September 2007 to summer of 2008. In a report to the Parliamentary standing committee the Indian army deemed Arjun's performance unsatisfactory, including four engine failures within only 1000 kilometers.[36] The defense minister presented this report before the parliament, later published by Press Information Bureau Government of India (PIB).
The Army wrote in the report that during the "accelerated user-cum-reliability trials" in 2008, the Arjun "was found to have failure of power packs, low accuracy and consistency, failure of hydropneumatic suspension units, shearing of top rollers and chipping of gun barrels". Sabotage was suspected, but the Army rejected that any sabotage happened during the trials.
A later report published by the Government of India during the induction ceremony of the Arjun tank, confirms the success of the trial.An independent evaluation of the tank by a reputed tank manufacturer found that the the MBT Arjun is an excellent tank with very good mobility and fire power characteristics.
DRDO has installed a black box-like instrument in the indigenous main battle tank (MBT) Arjun, under development for nearly 36 years, following attempts to "sabotage" its engine. The instrument was installed after the Indian Army termed the September 2007 winter trials of the Arjun tank a "failure".Attempts to sabotage the trials of the Arjun tank have failed after the black box was installed, said authorities.

ya ya giv me a break.let me put it this way arjun is not a total piece of sh*t.it has some things which do count(rifled gun,NERA,composite armour,hydropneumatic susp).but on the whole it su*s.i guess in the west ,for the money spent on the arjun u can get only these components mentioned above .

Arjun is a victim of a Corrupted government and bad rep from DRDO

Although the Latest Arjun is top notch.
The IA wants T-90's because they get more money from Foreign Purchases.
Corruption is ripe in Army.

The Arjun tank is also much cheaper than a T-90. and is in fact better un many areas.

e3e7dad70758830493d5f1c52765dcb7.jpg

4aafc9b349f911a929fff40e5b6dd678.jpg

62c7f4c05443d2ef22002a33cca51d43.jpg

afbaf0d93a009cdc14c7f716243d610f.jpg

Dissimilar Combat: Arjun MBT Vs T-90S specs | Frontier India Strategic and Defence - News, Analysis, Opinion - Aviation, Military, Commodity, Energy, Transportation, Conflict, Environment, Intelligence, Internal Security

To all those who say the Arjun is to heavy, the ground preasre of the T-90 is actually greater. The Arjuns weight is in fact similar to that of the Abrams

whilst the IAF and IN have embraced domestic production to the best of their ability.

IA continues to be largely supplied by only Foreign Gear.

to all those, who criticize the Arjun understand, that weather or not the Arjun is ever used in Large numbers.
It is a dam good tank. and when the IA mentality changes, Lessons learned from the Arjun will produce a far greater Tank.

Oh Boy!

More junk for an already crowded junkyard of IA!

Arjun is a victim of a Corrupted government and bad rep from DRDO

Although the Latest Arjun is top notch.
The IA wants T-90's because they get more money from Foreign Purchases.
Corruption is ripe in Army.

The Arjun tank is also much cheaper than a T-90. and is in fact better un many areas.

e3e7dad70758830493d5f1c52765dcb7.jpg

4aafc9b349f911a929fff40e5b6dd678.jpg

62c7f4c05443d2ef22002a33cca51d43.jpg

afbaf0d93a009cdc14c7f716243d610f.jpg

Dissimilar Combat: Arjun MBT Vs T-90S specs | Frontier India Strategic and Defence - News, Analysis, Opinion - Aviation, Military, Commodity, Energy, Transportation, Conflict, Environment, Intelligence, Internal Security

To all those who say the Arjun is to heavy, the ground preasre of the T-90 is actually greater. The Arjuns weight is in fact similar to that of the Abrams

whilst the IAF and IN have embraced domestic production to the best of their ability.

IA continues to be largely supplied by only Foreign Gear.

to all those, who criticize the Arjun understand, that weather or not the Arjun is ever used in Large numbers.
It is a dam good tank. and when the IA mentality changes, Lessons learned from the Arjun will produce a far greater Tank.
dude. The info you provided is right but 1400 HP engine is no good if it stop working on 55 C. India should stop working on Arjun and use the experience on the new tank they are building. (Tank Ex i guess what they call it).

dude. The info you provided is right but 1400 HP engine is no good if it stop working on 55 C. India should stop working on Arjun and use the experience on the new tank they are building. (Tank Ex i guess what they call it).

All bugs have been fixed in the latest version, this was one year ago.

Since then they have been trying to Upgrade the Tank so IA cant find any excuse not to induct the Tank.

Latest Development
Arjun Tank model

DRDO is continuing to develop some new technology systems for MBT Arjun.

1. Automatic target locating, tracking and destruction.

2. DRDO is developing the Tank Urban Survival Kit which is a series of improvements to the Arjun intended to improve fighting ability in urban environments which includes defensive aids like laser warning, IR jammer, and aerosol smoke grenade system.

3. DRDO also plans to develop robotic vehicles that will work on tele-link in addition to make the tracking of targets automatic.

4. CVRDE is in the process of developing tank simulators.

5. A new improved 1500 hp engine.

6. Addition of Slope Armor in front region like in Leo2A6M.

e6445c9d125378bfa1a1bc2edfc25c77.jpg

02980809c435261d3d88e458136f2e4f.jpg

Defensive Aid Systems for Arjun MBT Ready: DRDO | India Defence

Let me remind you that the Arjun withstood a shot from T-70 point blank.

Can you name a tank in Pakistan's arsenal that can perform a similar feat.

The only reason anyone considers the Arjun a failure is the Army's reluctance to accept the Tank.

They even have avoided the T-90 vs Arjun MBT test. IA officials are simply determined to keep Arjun down. As long as possible. So they can get Kick backs from foreign Contracts.

IA's only major indigenous operation is the F-INSAS program that is manged by the Top Brass.

Given its Cheap price The Arjun will see More orders as the Upgrades are added and the Mk-II is produced.

I wouldn't count the Arjun out yet.

either way their Is a Proposed JV between Indian and Russian Firms to produce a NExt-gen Tank. I would of wanted a Israile JV. They have better Tanks and Protection suits.

All bugs have been fixed in the latest version, this was one year ago.

Since then they have been trying to Upgrade the Tank so IA cant find any excuse not to induct the Tank.

....:blah::blah:

More intelligent people will recognize these are lies. There are fundamental malfunctioning areas in all major components of the Arjun, and these will won't go away just by wishing it so. That said, I would recommend India maintain their indigenous tank program but start anew from scratch.

Let me be the first to state that the big-clunky-40-to-60-ton-MBT is going to become an antiquity of the past. The new move is towards a different 'species' of more mobile, automated lighter "hunter-machines" that are more suited in all environment, including urban warfare. I'll stop here.:rolleyes:

More intelligent people will recognize these are lies. There are fundamental malfunctioning areas in all major components of the Arjun, and these will won't go away just by wishing it so. That said, I would recommend India maintain their indigenous tank program but start anew from scratch.

Let me be the first to state that the big-clunky-40-to-60-ton-MBT is going to become an antiquity of the past. The new move is towards a different 'species' of more mobile, automated lighter "hunter-machines" that are more suited in all environment, including urban warfare. I'll stop here.:rolleyes:

SO let me see if i Understand , you say we are not able fix basic problems, that according to you exist in everything, but if we start a new tank. These problems will just disappears and not prop up in the new designs.

Give me a Break.

You just cant accept that India can make good tank.
Arjun is a heavy tank built to provide the best protection for the crew.

The M1A Abrams weighs 62 tonnes and is widely considered as the best tank in the world Currently.

There is nothing wrong with the weight of the Arjun Tank.

Every one keeps talking of all these flaws in the tank.
but can u provide any specific Info from recent source.

and not problem from 5 years ago that have been addressed.

Fascinating allegations there. Have you tested the Arjun MBT yourself since you claim to know that all major components of Arjun have malfunctioning areas? Or do you have sources who know much more than people who actually work on that tank?
:rofl:
Just shows how much you know. We will keep that in mind in the future. Lol!!

Tank Tech would be the easiest to develop when compared to indegenious:

ATV
AGNI
ABMs

THESE PROJECTS WERE BUILT FROM SCRATH by DRDO,WHEN Noting similar, existed before even as an example.

Tanks were here since WW2 I THINK, BUT HOW IRONICAL THAT IT IS STILL A DREAM TO HAVE A SUCCESSFUL MBT.

i can seek just one reason : IA CORRUPTION

It is a good tank according to the specification. It is better than T90. India should get more Arjun

To me, Arjun is just a bad mimic of leopard 2, it will take long time to digest the technologies. The starting point is too high, the industry is just not ready for it.

Back
Top Bottom