What's new

Arjun News & Discussions

That might be due to the lack of involvement I would say isn't the Arjun made for the Army upcoming needs? Why would the Army not be interested unless they were not made part of the Project unless it does not meet the Indian Army requirements?
The point is that what is needs? Does it does not meet the GSQR meet by army? Well I hadn't came across such statement (correct me if I am wrong).

When I look at the specs of the Arjun it is just over gadgeted and its not really specifically addressing a specific purpose, is it a force multiplier is it a front line weapon, whats its main purpose other than it is MBT but what was its main use for.

Well I am confused what are trying to say here can you please elaborate.

That might be due to the lack of involvement I would say isn't the Arjun made for the Army upcoming needs? Why would the Army not be interested unless they were not made part of the Project unless it does not meet the Indian Army requirements?

When I look at the specs of the Arjun it is just over gadgeted and its not really specifically addressing a specific purpose, is it a force multiplier is it a front line weapon, whats its main purpose other than it is MBT but what was its main use for.
arjun is a fantastic machine,the demands of the army have made the drdo to develop heat resistant electronics which can operate without airconditioning(unlike t-90) and it also has unique features like rifled gun and hydrogas suspension........with the present order of t-90 and ajeya upgrade with BEML 1000hp engine the army is more than a match for our adverseries........now instead of placing orders for more arjuns(which is a contemporary tank) it is now planning to induct new futuristic tanks which are more cost effective and more modern.......thus an international seminar was held to draw ideas from the worlds best tank makers to assist india in finding an apt solution......the tank may be developed by cvrde,hvf avadi,private firms and possibly russians.....this will replace ajeyas which will inturn replace the t-55s in reserve.........ia has planned with a new mbt because the US,eu are moving ahead with fcs and Future Rapid Effects System and we have to catch up with them by teaming up with russia instead of wasting money on inducting arjun ,peraphs r&d of arjun can be used in this.......but the army should place an order for 124 more arjuns to compensate development costs......if the army inducts arjuns in large numbers then it has to modify infrastructure adding to the already more expensive arjun but t-90 is already compatible with t-72 infrastructure.........

The Arjun is what the Army ordered and more. But the Army has a fixation of having low observable T series tanks. Basically in the IA, there are two camps-the overwhelming majority is the T series general, and minority are the from the western camp-those that used Vijayanta.

The Army is not used to this kind of an MBT. Not to mention, even though they intially wanted such kind of heavy MBT, they now say that the logistics of Arjun are not sustainable, because most bridges, roads, etc dont have that kind of weight, height, and width clearances. That they might collapse, and that Arjun is not rail transportable because most tunnels are not designed to accomodate Arjun neither are the wagons.

A ton of other issues.

The Arjun is what the Army ordered and more. But the Army has a fixation of having low observable T series tanks. Basically in the IA, there are two camps-the overwhelming majority is the T series general, and minority are the from the western camp-those that used Vijayanta.

The Army is not used to this kind of an MBT. Not to mention, even though they intially wanted such kind of heavy MBT, they now say that the logistics of Arjun are not sustainable, because most bridges, roads, etc dont have that kind of weight, height, and width clearances. That they might collapse, and that Arjun is not rail transportable because most tunnels are not designed to accomodate Arjun neither are the wagons.

A ton of other issues.
true:agree:

India sets in motion plans for futuristic tanks

Author: idrw team | 22 July 2008 | Views: 206

BY : PTI

To keep up with the trend amongst major powers, Indian army today set in motion the process of building a futuristic main battle tank (MBT), which will be inducted post 2020.

Army is visualising that the future tanks could be network operated sans the crew and has given the nod for framing general qualitative staff requirements (GQSR) for such a mean machine.

Plans for going in for such smart tanks and infantry combat vehicles were unveiled today at an international seminar on future MBTs, which was attended by the Defence Minister A K Antony and Army Chief General Deepak Kapoor.

"Next five years would see all aerial combat unmanned and the same process could take over the land systems in another 10 to 15 years," said Lt Gen Dilip Bhardawaj, Director General of the country's mechanised forces in his presentation.

Asked if a future tank would be an indigenous effort, the Defence Minister said the emphasis would be on building an inhouse tank but, at the same time, did not rule out the possibility of a "collaborative effort on technology sharing basis".

Antony was not forthcoming on whether plans to develop a new tank would sound a death knell for the country's maiden effort in producing Arjun main battle tank.
India sets in motion plans for futuristic tanks www.idrw.org / Indian Defense Research Wing

it says that the army will now start formulating gsqr as it has conducted the international seminar..............it also speaks abt unmanned tanks ,even US fcs,UK fres are manned but then they are being executed much earlier than fmbt,ficv.

so at the fist place the same thing I said that it is an old news

no no the t-95 has an unmanned turret but the vehicle is manned ,fmbt is unmanned..........may be if it is a joint venture with russia some t-95 tech may flow in.........it will be a new tank.
India, Russia to jointly develop futuristic 'smart tank' news

21 July 2008

Mumbai: India and Russia are planning to jointly develop a futuristic 'smart' battle tank, having higher speed and better firepower, reports quoting Nikolai Malykh, director general of Russia's biggest battle factory Uralvagonzavod (UVZ), as saying.

The two sides had preliminary discussions on the issue and defence ministry experts in India will discuss the new project when a delegation of the (UVZ) tank-building factory visits India this week to participate in an international seminar on the future main battle tank (FMBT) organised by the Army along with the Confederation of Indian Industry, according to Malykh.

''We put forward this idea (of developing the tank) at the turn of the 21st century. The Indian side has now come up with a similar proposal," the Moscow Defence Brief (MDB) magazine quoted Malykh as saying.

''We will take the first step when our experts go to India to attend a conference on the future tank and prospects for the tank-building industry," Malykh said on the sidelines of a defence expo.

The new tank will have higher speed, better firepower, sophisticated armour protection and a smoother ride and improved armour protection for crew, the report said.

Armour-protected crew compartment will be sealed from the unmanned turret equipped with an automatic loader, to ensure the survivability of highly trained human assets, it said.

Information for the crew will be networked using a virtual-reality command information system linked to reconnaissance aircraft and satellites.

The move comes even as the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) had suggested a joint assessment with the Indian Army to save the main battle tank (MBT) Arjun and keep the project alive.

The rmy, however, has rejected by the idea. The army is also ambiguous on a suggestion by the DRDO that the tank be assessed head-to-head with the T-90 MBTs the army currently operates.

A leading Russian defence expert says it makes good sense for India and Russia to join hands in building a futuristic tank.

India has purchased over 1,600 T-90S MBTs from the UVZ of which 1,000 will be manufactured at the Heavy Vehicles Factory in Avadi. Uralvagonzavod has for a long time been cooperating with the Avadi plant in the production of T-72 and T-90S MBTs.
domain-b.com : India, Russia to jointly develop futuristic 'smart tank'
this says it will be manned but the present article says it is unmanned.i was trying to tell that.

regards

the report says

The new tank will have higher speed, better firepower, sophisticated armour protection and a smoother ride and improved armour protection for crew, the report said.

Armour-protected crew compartment will be sealed from the unmanned turret equipped with an automatic loader, to ensure the survivability of highly trained human assets, it said.

Information for the crew will be networked using a virtual-reality command information system linked to reconnaissance aircraft and satellites.

may be t-95 is just a prototype and the best is yet to come wtih an unmanned mbt,i dont know if this report i posted is true but unmanned mbt can offer the following advantages
*smaller size and weight as crew compartment and life support systems(like nbc protection,ac)can be removed.
*no human errors,quicker response in mission using battlefield information which may take longer in manned ones.
*no crew training costs and training crews with tanks and simulators takes away lots of money(it is said that loosing a trained tank crew is next to loosing a trained fighter pilot)
*can carry out more risky tasks and the most important of all ,no human casualities.

Back
Top Bottom