What's new

Arjun News & Discussions

Found this article in the google new's

B? ?ôi xe t?ng t? ch? c?a quân ??i ?n ?? - XãLu?n.com tin t?c Vi?t Nam c?p nh?t 24 gi?

Considering it's a neutral source , thought it might be nice to see how the outside world views the Arjun.

The page is in Vietnamess , but i am posting google chrome's translated transcript.

Any one who wants to see the source can do so using the chome browser or google translate.

The duo of self-made tanks , Indian army

In recent years, India imports a lot of modern weapons such as missiles, aircraft, tanks, infantry guns. Thereby, they learn to experience manufacturing military equipment and achieved many accomplishments. Especially in the manufacturing sector tanks - armored, Indian Army "restraint" are two types of growth.

1274659509.img.jpg

Main battle tank Arjun

The first prototype of the Arjun tank was born in 1984. A year later, it was introduced to the public. Arjun is intended to replace the main battle tank T-72 and Vijayanta (Soviet production) are serving in Indian Army.

Arjun design style similar to the German Leopard tanks. Arjun's weight up to 58.5 tons, heavier than the cars of the Soviet army used in India now.

Vehicle body and turret of the Arjun is covered by the general Kanchan armor. Kanchan considered generally similar to the second generation Chobham armour on British tanks. If necessary, can be reinforced with layers of ERA (explosive reactive armour) to improve protection for vehicles.

Arjun was 120mm cannon riffled barrel (the number of rounds carried 39), fire HEAT ammunition types (explosive anti-tank shells out), APFSDS (ammunition regularly break), HE (high explosive ammunition destruction), HESH (high explosive rounds zipped) . This type guns are believed to have very high accuracy, even in range or when shooting moving vehicles.

Especially, the 120mm cannon was also fired anti-tank missile has semi-active laser guided LAHAT (Israel's) through the barrel. LAHAT missiles used to destroy armored vehicles and low flying attack helicopters. Arjun secondary weapons include a 7.62 mm coaxial machine gun and 12.7 mm air defense machine gun on the turret.

However, because the device is not equipped with automatic loading of Arjun firing speed is quite slow, only 6 to 8 rounds per minute with manual operation.

Technology navigation and fire control is provided by the Israeli firm Elbit Systems. Fire control system is a two-axis stabilized with high precision equipment to replace analog controls early life, because it can not be a problem when performing their tasks in extreme conditions of the desert. But the new fire control system is also frequently problems occur when the temperature exceeds 42oC.

The combination of daytime and viewfinder thermal image formed viewfinder for the gunner of the vehicle. Tank commanders are equipped with panoramic viewfinder cover stability, allowing himself to find and kill or transfer target to the gunner.

In addition, Arjun has commanded combat system is the product of cooperation between the DRDO (India) and Elbit Systems (Israel), allowing it to connect to other combat units. Arjun can connect with other tanks, through this system.

The tank has an automatic fire extinguishing system, the system protects against radiation-birth-chemical (NBC). This is a feature that most modern battle tanks indispensable.

Arjun equipped with diesel engines MTU 838 Ka-501 1400 hp. Despite weighing nearly 60 tons of speed but its move on the road with a relatively high (72km / h), a range of 450km.

images393864_arjun_l2_1_.jpg

images393865_arjun_l3_1_.jpg

images393866_arjun_l4_1_.jpg

Main battle tank Tank-Ex (MBT-Ex)

Tank-Ex/MBT-Ex the name of the new tank developed by the Agency and Defence Research India (DRDO) developed in 2002. Originally intended as an alternative to obsolete T-72M1 tanks.

Tank-Ex designed based on the T-72M1 vehicle body frame and turret Arjun. Total weight of the tank is 41 tons (slightly heavier than the T- 72M1). Like Arjun, vehicles equipped with synthetic Kanchan armour and if necessary will allow installation of explosive reactive armour to increase defense against anti-tank ammunition, explosives or ammunition destroyed.

Tank-Ex fire is also a 120mm cannon riffled barrel (32 round capacity) shooting a variety of different ammunition and LAHAT anti-tank missile is fired through the barrel . Weapons including sub-machine gun and coaxial 7.62 mm machine gun 12.7 mm air defense.

Designed entirely similar to the Arjun but the Tank-Ex has a characteristic inherited from the T-72, that it uses equipment similar to automated loader used on T-72. Fire control system of the Tank-Ex similar on Arjun.

Tank-Ex equipped 1000 horsepower diesel engines, with speed over 60km / h and 480km range. In the case of main engines shut down, Tank-Ex has the engine side.

Due to the delay so far only 12 Arjun prototypes and 32 Arjun tanks were produced . A very little amount. Meanwhile, Tank-Ex/MBT-Ex six months after undergoing successful experiment but the Indian army has denied it (At least two prototypes have been produced).

Perhaps, India will select the T-90 production from Russia bought the rights to the name is Arjun MK.2 India. Model T-90 tanks completely remarkable increase compared with the current staffing in the Indian Army.

images393871_tank_ex_l1_1_.jpg

images393872_tank_ex_l2_1_.jpg

images393873_tank_ex_l3_1_.jpg

images393874_tank_ex_l4_1_.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by flanker143
ONE REASON ..............

THEY GOT RUSSIAN MONEY STUFFED IN THEIR POCKETS..........!!!!!!!
Yes, Open Our Pocket and You would see Blood falling from it, A blood which has been shed for Citizens who were not worth for it......

i am not saying the whole army is corrupt , i am saying that some bigplayers are !!!!!

You are judjing Your Army based on just a news?? Why not judge it by going there, Are You daring Enough to do that My son?? There Is corruption, But Dont do Propaganda based on that....

i would JUST LOVE to join any armed forces of my country but i cannot bcoz of my crappy eyes that cannot see in night !!!

i wanted to join the IAF since i was a kid but i simply cannot !!!!!!

Obviously, T-90 has been ordered on a larger scale,And what makes You thinks that Ordering Arjun More than T-90 is a wise decision?

well when one buys a tank with better fire power , mobility , armour .............

then it is supposed to be a wise decision !!!

and i never said to buy more arjun over t 90 ... i want a cut over t 90 import

and then buy more arjun mk2 when it is ready (and it would certainly be better than mk1)

Who said we are not buying Arjun? we have limited the order as DRDO is Working on a futuristic tank based on Arjun, So what makes You think we would waste more money on Arjun?

sir i am fully aware that how many arjuns are being bought , but sir i want to ask when there was a day when arjun mk2 was not proposed and still IA had ordered only 124 tanks .... arjun was the same as it was at that time as it is now ! then why so less orders at that time....

what made drdo develop an even advanced tank (arjun mk2 )...... when arjun was still better than t 90 ...... because army was not happy or should i say those 'bigplayers' were not happy with such development ...... and they unnecessarily pointed out defects overtime resulting in even more delays !!!!!

why drdo had to place a black box like device in arjun during trials........ ????

sir with due respect i want to say that presence of corruption should be denied , even if it is in the army ..... i have deep respect for soldiers who protect us from any danger be it internal or external ....... BUT I HATE THOSE WHO HAVE GOT THE GUTS TO PLAY WITH MY NATIONS SECURITY !!!

these handful of scumbags are more dangerous than any other enemy!!!

Crappy T-90??? Let me Know how??? Please care to answer it.

my reaction is due to media glare on t 90's performace that itself army has pointed out !!

It deserves our Partiality thats why, it fits Our need, see Indian army can go for more powerful tanks if needed Like Leopard, We dint because It jsut dosent suit us, We dont want the best tank in the world, why dont You understand that we need a tanks which suits our Role..

one of the worlds strongest army doesnt want more powerful tanks , i didn't get that one !!!!!

what kind of role are we discussing here plz tell sir !!

Yes, Open Our Pocket and You would see Blood falling from it, A blood which has been shed for Citizens who were not worth for it......

sir i am not pointing my finger at the gud guys , its for the bad ones... plzz do not accuse me of a crime i didn't commit !!!

A blood which has been shed for Citizens who were not worth for it......

u r right sir......becoz when we see out of defence forces we see more corrupt people [B ALOT more !!!!!![/B]

plz forgive me for any harsh words or foul language used ....

1274659509.img.jpg

Does the driver always has his head sticking outside or is it just in trials?

You can do that in most any tank,
Northing abnormal about sticking you head out to get a better view.

and no You don't have to have you head out all the time.

Think about it , why make Kachan armour , panaronic view sights and then we just forgot to give the driver proper protection. :hitwall:

I can get bet a million bucks you , would not have asked such a silly question if it were an American tank in that picture.

@ Flanker, Iam no one to Advise You, You yourself are good enough to Doubt Your army, I as an Army man am Not grown Enough or Wise Enough as You....

You may continue to think about Your army, But we never will take back our promise Of protecting You.. Even the most corrupted army man will not place bet upon your security, dont worry....

You can do that in most any tank,
Northing abnormal about sticking you head out to get a better view.

and no You don't have to have you head out all the time.

Think about it , why make Kachan armour , panaronic view sights and then we just forgot to give the driver proper protection. :hitwall:

I can get bet a million bucks you , would not have asked such a silly question if it were an American tank in that picture.

Chill, I am not a critic of arjun!
I just asked, cause it looks like driver is in siting position while his head is out. So if he wants to get his head in, head would have to go down by atleast 1 ft. That means either the chair is hydrolic, can be lifted up down, or he would have to bent, or may be he is standing and would sit. Also, the cover over his head, cannot be much thick, and thus strong. So I just want to know whats the inside like, how would the driver seat in wartime?

And if other tanks with similar configurations are there, my question applies to all.

And also sorry, cause my mistake, I didn't put what exactly I wanted!

Last edited:
are there any plans to integrate an active protection system on arjun mbt....

senior members plz tell .....

are there any plans to integrate an active protection system on arjun mbt....

senior members plz tell .....

DRDO is developing Active protection System for Arjun MBT and for Other military Vehicles ,

DRDO Active protection System Package Includes the following

1.Multi role radar to continuously scan the entire protected sector.

2. A highly directional, super quick action defensive ammunition to engage and destroy the attacking missiles and grenade;

3. Control equipment built around a dedicated computer for automatic control of the operation of the radar and system as whole, as well as for monitoring the service ability of the system and its components.

4. The commanders control panel, the command conversion unit for the engagement sequence, Mounts for ammunition arranged all round the tanks turret to ensure perimeter protection.

The critical technologies involved that requires research are:

i) Miniaturized MMW radar

ii) Sensor Fusion

iii) Quick Reaction Kill

DRDO is developing Active protection System for Arjun MBT and for Other military Vehicles ,

2. A highly directional, super quick action defensive ammunition to engage and destroy the attacking missiles and grenade;

3. Control equipment built around a dedicated computer for automatic control of the operation of the radar and system as whole, as well as for monitoring the service ability of the system and its components.

4. The commanders control panel, the command conversion unit for the engagement sequence, Mounts for ammunition arranged all round the tanks turret to ensure perimeter protection.

ii) Sensor Fusion

iii) Quick Reaction Kill

thats what i call some real tech development !!!

plzz give a link too !!

ii) Sensor Fusion

iii) Quick Reaction Kill

This sounds exactly like Israeli TROPHY....are we collabrating with Israelis on this ? US i believe is interested in TROPHY. ???

You want me to comment on such news???

Not to doubt your qualification or claims....but the author of the article was himself an Indian Army Col (mechanised forces too , if i am not mistaken)...so doubting the authencity of the article written by Army man is a bit concerning.... Ajai has been known to write precise and real wordly articles....

No ones questioning T 90 ....but everyones wondering as to what is prompting IA to go in for Huge number for T90 and less number for Arjun.... As for MK2 , if IA is all interested in MK2 then they would have bore the R&D costs and would have shared the expenses.....Also an advanced order of good amount of tanks would have been a real morale booster -- after all there has been excessive criticism for Arjun (well deserved) , so why not some good amount of orders now that the Tank indeed is doing good !!!

This is where i love our IN guys......they are a touch above the rest.... InAF is also getting around these days with LCA.

Back
Top Bottom