What's new

Arjun-II MBT development l Updates & discussion.

I have some questions
1. Do we need mine plow for all the vehicles?
2. Are the sides protected?
3. As the tonnage is more, dont we need more powerful engine?

1. Well, it depends upon the terrain, yes most armoured vehicles can be mounted with mine plough eqpt

2. As per the pics, they are reasonably well protected, unless i do a disection of armour plates as to either they are HHS+composite or simply HHS sheets.

3. For 60+ metric tonnes, 1500 hp will provide a good output around , if its 1400, its decent.

View attachment 14944
User trials of Main Battle Tank, Arjun MK-II equipped with almost 75 new improved technologies and some other modified features as compared to Mark-I version were completed in Rajasthan last year. MK-II is heavier than Mk-I but has more speed and maneuverability as compared to lighter counterparts currently in service with Army.
Amongst the features which have been modified in MK-II version of Arjun vis-a-vis its Mk-I version are night vision capabilities with thermal imaging system for detecting all kinds of missiles, Explosive Reactive Armor (ERA) providing greater protection to crew and tank, mine ploughs, ability to fire Anti-tank missile with 120 mm main gun, Advanced Air Defense gun capable of shooting down Helicopters with a 360 degree coverage, Automatic Target Tracking (ATT) lending a greater accuracy when it comes to moving targets and superior Laser Warning and Control systems. Arjun MK-II is equipped with integrated display system capable of detecting targets, their number and location while the thermal imaging unit facilitates the tank commander to see upto half a kilometre.
View attachment 14946
Crew4 men
Dimensions and weight
Weight55 ~ 60 t
Length (gun forward)~ 10 m
Hull length~ 7 m
Width~ 3.8 m
Height~ 2.3 m
Armament
Main gun 120-mm rifled
ATGW LAHAT
Machine guns 1 x 7.62-mm, 1 x 12.7-mm
Elevation range - 9 to + 20 degrees
Traverse range 360 degrees
Ammunition load
Main gun?
ATGW?
Machine guns?
Mobility
Enginediesel
Engine power 1500 hp
Maximum road speed 58 km/h
Range ~ 500 km
Maneuverability
Gradient 70%
Side slope 40%
Vertical step ~ 0.9 m
Trench ~ 2.4 m
Fording ~ 1.4 m
Fording (with preparation) ~ 2.2 m

This new main battle tank is armed with a fully-stabilized 120-mm rifled gun, which is loaded manually. A rifled gun of such caliber is used only on the British Challenger 2 MBT. This gun is more accurate at long range comparing with smoothbore guns. It is claimed that during trials this new Indian tank outgunned both the T-72M and T-90. The Arjun Mk.2 is also compatible with Israeli LAHAT anti-tank guided missiles. Missiles are launched in the same manner as ordinary projectiles. This new main battle tank is fitted with advanced thermal imaging and panoramic sights, and now has a hunter-killer capability. Fire control system of the new tank should have a hit probability over 90%, when firing on the move. The new tank also has improved communication systems and new navigation system. Secondary armament consists of coaxial 7.62-mm machine gun and a roof-mounted remotely controlled weapon station, armed with a 12.7-mm heavy machine gun.

Due to it's weight the Arjun Mk.2 can not be airlifted by the Indian Il-76 heavy transport aircraft. It can be carried only by Boeing C-17 Globemaster III. Indian Air Force ordered 10 of these aircraft. Deliveries should be completed in 2014.
Arjun Mk.2 has Battle Field Management System (BFMS) that enables the tank to get targeting feeds from UAV‘s and Helicopters, which provides the Arjun Mk.2 tank crew with greater awareness of their surroundings and better understanding of the battle zone. This will lead to improvement in coordinating with other Friendly tanks in the zone and also avoid Friendly kills. It also gives information regarding enemy tank movement along with their troops and help navigate terrain in the battle zone. The Self-Diagnostic System (SDS) added to Arjun Mk.2 is a health monitoring system, that not only tells the tank crew if it is having any problem but also point out the trouble area. It is also important if the tank has taken multiple hits from different position and from different ammunition. After a self-diagnose Tank crew will know exact damage inflicted on the Tank. Arjun Mk.2 will also get and improved Air-conditioning system for the crew, which will be powered from an APU drawing its power from the Main engine of the Tank. This will enable the tank crew to operate in higher temperature of desert heat without discomfort to the tank crew. Arjun Mk.1 already has hardened electronics that function perfectly even in the Rajasthan summer without requiring any Air-conditioning system.

VJvUh1H.jpg

Lij69ea.jpg

80FgWdX.jpg

6G3nDRK.jpg

DdiKgmO.jpg

A thermobaric warhead 120mm round has been developed for Arjun -

Lt Gen SH Kulkarni, AVSM, VSM, DG Mechanised Forces, visited Proof and Experimental Establishment (PXE), Chandipur, on 2 December 2013. He was briefed about various test and evaluation activities of PXE, particulars pertaining to tank ammunition and armour. Live performance of Arjun thermobaric ammunition was also demonstrated to the visiting dignitary.

http://drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/newsletter/2014/feb_14.pdf

Thanks to Kunal Biswas

It seems that finally they have solved issue of exposed right side of turret.

Arjun+Mk1A-1.jpg

View attachment 16033

See the right side of the turret (front).

It is exposed as it houses a box not ERA.

Now see the right side of the turret in this photo.

View attachment 16034
ya i got that earlier it used to house a radra but this new picture seem to suggest that instead of that boxy shape they have gone for more ERA looking aerodynamik shape for the radar cover what do you think it is

Back
Top Bottom