What's new

Arihant propels India to elite club

It's known fact that India is constructing ELF communication facility under secretive Project codenamed Varsha .

" 1.6 billion (US$27 million) were sanctioned for the project in the 2011-12 budget, of which 580 million (US$10 million) were for civil works and the balance 1 billion (US$17 million) were for setting up a VLF communication system "

INS Varsha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WAFF | Asia & Pacific Defence Forum | World's Armed Forces Forum: India makes headway with ELF site construction

Screen-Shot-2014-02-13-at-10.16.00-PM.png

I'm surprised its not already complete.
I remember during the ISRO spy case (Nambi Narayanan el.et) one of the accusations was that they were passing information on India's ELF capabilities.
Not able to find any references now though.

possibly not.even USA rectified their doctrine which allowed their sub commanders to launch nuke if their ExO concurs.same thing was with Russian navy with their "Nijampolit"(political officer).now in USA,one can launch nuke only after US President agrees.same thing is with India probably.

What in case Delhi attacked with a nuclear weapon?

I'm surprised its not already complete.
I remember during the ISRO spy case (Nambi Narayanan el.et) one of the accusations was that they were passing information on India's ELF capabilities.
Not able to find any references now though.

Even if it is ready we may not know about it .

I also found discrepancy in location of ELF facility ...some saying near Vishakhapatnam other saying near Kalpakkam nuclear plant ...This may be deliberate attempt to create confusion .

If it is supposed to be secret ...it won't be in public domain ...and we would not know it for sure ....

Even if it is ready we may not know about it .

I also found discrepancy in location of ELF facility ...some saying near Vishakhapatnam other saying near Kalpakkam nuclear plant ...This may be deliberate attempt to create confusion .

If it is supposed to be secret ...it won't be in public domain ...and we would not know it for sure ....

I remember Kerala somewhere near Tumba. I googled for it and came up with nothing. Our friends from the other side of the border can give us its exact location ;)

There is definite line of succession nominated who can authorize nuclear launch in case the top leadership is eliminated in decapitating first strike .

US has almost 15 successive heirs who become in charge ...with president being first in line ...

Indian Nucler weapons is handled by Nuclear Command Authority,political council which will authorize any Nuclear Strike.it is chaired by PM and advised by his Executive Council.at their nod,SFC would launch any strike.so,even if Delhi gets bombed and present PM die,any "Interim" PM will be elected and the process will continue.

I hope they wont shift the deadline further and induct it in the given date.

Yes that is a very challenging situation. But the "theoretical attacking nation" will be considering this point as well, in fact it may add to the deterrence capability if they think the submarines may still fire their arsenals, and act as a deterrent not only to the attacking nation, but to others as well.

What I don't get though, is why India is always limiting the range of their own missiles? To avoid ruffling feathers in America?

Even if we did not have any problems with America, we would still want our missiles to be able to cover the globe if necessary. That's the point of deterrence.

Well, it's pretty evident that India doesn't want to bring any sort of insecurity to Western Europe, let alone America. And let's face it, India is not in the same league as China. Our rise is modest at best, and our dreams of preeminence in World affairs is still quite a few decades away.:)

Earlier this year, India’s first indigenously built nuclear submarine quietly pushed out of its base for sea trials, its 6,000-tonne, 111-metre bulk powered by an 83-megawatt uranium reactor.

Classic Indian media report. Idiots can't even differentiate between harbor acceptaince trials and sea trials.

What is it then? It's from a DRDO brochure.

Its probably the S-1, aka the technology demontrater

What is it then? It's from a DRDO brochure.

Last edited:
That's very good news. :cheers:

It will be interesting to see what they are planning to succeed Arihant class. The new subs, I believe, will have displacement of at least 10,500 tons and will be longer, as they will have to carry bigger, heavier K-4s (at lest 12 if we look at CGI of SSS-I-12/S 5 SSBN)

Nothing planned aside Arihant class so far. The Navy has a requirement for three SSBN [S-2, S-3 and S-4] and Six SSNs. So next we might see some Indian SSNs [4 to 5 depending on the second Akula lease]

No its not. The only picture of Arihant was released by khangress during 2009 elections as part of their achievments :)

It is a clear cut edge against pakistan navy and any other navy in Arabian Sea. In response Pakistan is attempting to arm itself with more chinese AIP powered submarines with SLCM capability. Babur armed on future submarines with increased range would definitely be a counter punch.

Building a nuclear ballistic missile submarine is no easy feat, and building a reliable SLBM is even harder.

But SLBM's are one of the most essential parts of any country's nuclear arsenal. Secondary strike capability is essential to any kind of nuclear deterrence.
Did India built the submarine from the ground up? Was this a project with foreign assistant and foreign made parts?

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom