What's new

“Argo, Fcuk Yourself”

I watched it with great enthusiasm, turned out just an average movie, certainly not worthy of awards (Am surprised at argo winning academy award)
Politics. Lincoln was much better.

Actually they have done that on numerous occasions. Gunga Din and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom come immediately to mind. Do I like that my country has been shown in a negative light? Of course not. But does that mean they were propaganda pieces? I don't buy that.

Yes they are and unfortunately many people consider and take them as reality, it's axiomatic that Hollywood is an entertainment industry but on the other hand it's a tool for the USA's foreign policies. I don't know why they don't make such movies about themselves or Israel if as you say they are not propaganda.

Why? Was Titanic accurate? Far from it. Was that ridiculous movie with Bobby Deol playing Bhagat Singh accurate?

I don't expect any movie to be accurate, I expect them to be showing the over all events as it is without contradicting the historical facts and events. titanic was a big wonder passenger ship which sunk, and many died and many survived, it tells the fantasy story of people inside the ship.it's is truthful to the fact that the ship did sunk,what would some one who knows the history will think if the director shows that ship is somehow saved including it's passenger ? it will not make sense unless the movie's title is something else other than "titanic".

They do, but Indians do not go beyond all lengths to protest against such things. If you were an avid movie watcher, you would see extreme bias for/against India in almost all the Hollywood movies. Especially when they portray Indians as a turban wearing half naked population living in the medieval times.

However, you would not see such vociferous protests coming out of everywhere in India. There was this big grosser Armageddon - it showed all the Indians wearing turban and praying in front of Taj Mahal - What sense does it make? None. Was it offensive? Yes. Were there protests? No.

There was Blade - a movie on vampires, where one of the vampires had "Srimad Bhagavat Gita" (Holy book of Hindus) written in Devnagari on his forehead. But were there any protests? No, none.

And then in almost all Indian movies (Bollywood, and Tamil as well) that had any white characters in them, showed the white people as stupid and promiscuous to offensive degrees...

You should think of such movies as some sort of "yes man" wanting to extract money by playing with the biases of the targeted mass.

It's different my friend, Iranian don't protest on every single movie showing them.For example,in Transformers,they blow up a nuclear site in Iran,but no one protested for that.Because we all know it's just a action movie and they need a enemy for fulfilling their agenda.Or another movie, House of sand and fog,which is again about Iranians and many others.

But if at the beginning of a movie,it says 'based on true events' while it's manipulating history,then it's unacceptable.If you don't have any problem with that,then it's your personal opinion and I respect that.But we can not let them show everything they like in the movie and only because it's a movie,we should stay silent.At least in here,that's not how it works.

Argo is a joke........a fantastic movie, not worthy to watch....Americans are making fool from themselves........:fie:

I was expecting a very disturbing article on Pak Argo...

Yes they are and unfortunately many people consider and take them as reality, it's axiomatic that Hollywood is an entertainment industry but on the other hand it's a tool for the USA's foreign policies. I don't know why they don't make such movies about themselves or Israel if as you say they are not propaganda.

Well there are movies like Born on the 4th of July and Platoon - even Dances with Wolves dealt with Native American treatment. Anti Israel movies?? I haven't seen it but I think the Academy nominated Broken Cameras by a Palestinian was considered critical of Israel. But all these movies together must not have made as much as Argo as no one likes to see criticism of their country on screen as much as they like to see their nation being praised.

I'm sorry, but what if the very same Hollywood makes a movie of India in British times and show your people as a backward and intimidating nation,based on lies, wouldn't you complain?
Or 'it's good as long as it's not about me' scenario?

They did.

Its called Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

As a Pakistani, I love that movie. :D

And besides, you guys took over their embassy, held them hostages for 444 days, paint anti-American murals, and every Friday yell death to America and call for Israel to be destroyed.

And you expect Hollywood to portray you guys as Heroes? :rofl:

Actually they have done that on numerous occasions. Gunga Din and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom come immediately to mind. Do I like that my country has been shown in a negative light? Of course not. But does that mean they were propaganda pieces? I don't buy that.
They did.

Its called Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

As a Pakistani, I love that movie. :D
If this film portrayed india country in negative light then why did indian actors like late Amrish Puri worked in it and gov of india country allowed it to be made in that country??:azn:

It's different my friend, Iranian don't protest on every single movie showing them.For example,in Transformers,they blow up a nuclear site in Iran,but no one protested for that.Because we all know it's just a action movie and they need a enemy for fulfilling their agenda.Or another movie, House of sand and fog,which is again about Iranians and many others.

But if at the beginning of a movie,it says 'based on true events' while it's manipulating history,then it's unacceptable.If you don't have any problem with that,then it's your personal opinion and I respect that.But we can not let them show everything they like in the movie and only because it's a movie,we should stay silent.At least in here,that's not how it works.
totally agree

about House of Sand and fog clearly it shows much of our culture ... i mean compared to the other movies

Argo ... hmmm... these guys they didn't make any effort :
1/ to have little culture about Iranians who are very different than in the movie (generally)
2/ to know the story of the hostages crisis: i remember many who participated said much of what happened, some of them are far to be extremist and i heard few say unofficially that they are sorry for this mistake

anyway as said many artists about Hollywood: there are two kind of winners : the guys with relations and the guys with talent. we know where is Argo :D

Back
Top Bottom