What's new

Are you married to your first cousin?

Not exactly; science says that chances of birth defects 'increase' if married to cousins. The chances even exist if two non-related people marry actually (albeit low).
It'd be a real problem if cousin marriages happen for several generations.

Besides, you forgot that millions of people marry with cousins, yet conditions such as these pop up only very occasionally.

Of course, as longer it goes on in Pakistan.. the worse is it for us. We, the ones living overseas, aren't safe either.

Its a christian concept which spread through the world..
Cousin is not brother or sister..
Only Blood Brother or Blood sister or Brother sister...

Actually, Christianity has traditionally nothing against cousin marriages. Most of the royalty in Europe is related to each other through cousin marriages, that use to take place till twentieth century ( Queen Victoria of Great Britain was married to her first cousin Albert, which may explain why Prince Charles looks like a retard, Lol) . I think it is discouraged now because of medical and genetic reasons.

A genetic disorder is an illness caused by abnormalities in genes or chromosomes, especially a condition that is present from before birth. Most genetic disorders are quite rare and affect one person in every several thousands or millions.
A genetic disorder may or may not be a heritable disorder. Some genetic disorders are passed down from the parents' genes, but others are always or almost always caused by new mutations or changes to the DNA. In other cases, the same disease, such as some forms of cancer, may be caused by an inherited genetic condition in some people, by new mutations in other people, and by non-genetic causes in still other people.
Some types of recessive gene disorders confer an advantage in certain environments when only one copy of the gene is present

Genetic disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What you've posted here does not in anyway disprove that first cousin marriages increase the risk of genetic disorders.

Question: When you say cousins, do you mean paternal cousins or maternal cousins ?

I know from my South Indian friends that they are allowed to marry maternal cousins but not paternal cousins there.

I am guessing most of these cousin marriages are arranged right? Or are there people out there who voluntarily marry their cousins?

After reading that one line i stopd reading further. Exactly and i am going to marry my cousin soon in sha ALLAH !!

Parents force you ? You shouldn't do that, handsome man.

Most of them cousins their children I met are deaf, DNA damages, and body not physical fit.

Actually, Christianity has traditionally nothing against cousin marriages. Most of the royalty in Europe is related to each other through cousin marriages, that use to take place till twentieth century ( Queen Victoria of Great Britain was married to her cousin, which may explain why Prince Charles looks like a retard, Lol) . I think it is discouraged now because of medical reasons.

no its discouraged for the masses since the beginning of time among Christians.

but for medical reasons..you dont see mutants in Afghanistan/central asia..Pakistani tribal areas?
all of these areas do traditionally cousin marriages

which planet you are from mate?

krap thread with a load of bull

You can continue to flame, but flaming will get you nowhere. You disagree with my points, and you are showing it by raging.

@My fellow Pukhtoon brother: I wish you best of luck with your marriage. Do as you will. Remember it's your choice. I too am a Pukthoon, and wish the best for my brothers.

no its discouraged for the masses since the beginning of time among Christians.

Yes, stating it doesn't make it true. Where is your evidence?

Parents force you ? You shouldn't do that, handsome man.

Most of them cousins their children I met are deaf, DNA damages, and body not physical fit.

LOLED you know US OF A Didn't forced pukhtoons from last ten years with the full power of the world. So how can parents force.

No body is forcing me neither my cousin.

What you've posted here does not in anyway disprove that first cousin marriages increase the risk of genetic disorders.

Not really. You did not read it properly . Here is another research article for you :D

In an effort at clarification, the National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC) convened a group of experts to review existing studies on risks to offspring and issue recommendations for clinical practice. Their report concluded that the risks of a first-cousin union were generally much smaller than assumed—about 1.7%–2% above the background risk for congenital defects and 4.4% for pre-reproductive mortality—and did not warrant any special preconception testing. In the authors' view, neither the stigma that attaches to such unions in North America nor the laws that bar them were scientifically well-grounded. When dealing with worried clients, the authors advised genetic counselors to “normalize” such unions by discussing their high frequency in some parts of the world and providing examples of prominent cousin couples, such as Charles Darwin and Emma Wedgwood

In the aftermath of controversies ignited by Woolas's comments and similar remarks in 2005 by Labour Member of Parliament Ann Cryer, who asserted “We have to stop this tradition of first cousin marriages” [14,15], the NSGC report was cited by numerous scientific, legal, and lay commentators as testament to the low risk of cousin marriage and hence the lack of any compelling biological reason to avoid it. (Literally dozens of authors also asserted that the Darwins had ten healthy children—despite the deaths of three of them in infancy or childhood and Charles Darwin's own worries that consanguinity had affected the health and fertility of the intermarried Darwin and Wedgwood families, and of his and Emma's offspring in particular [2,16].) Although the report warned against generalizing from (and hence by implication to) more inbred populations, many writers, roughly averaging the statistics for birth defects and pre-reproductive mortality, noted that first-cousin marriage “only” increases the risk of adverse events by about 3%. But for several reasons, any overall calculation of risk is in fact quite complicated.

“It's Ok, We're Not Cousins by Blood”: The Cousin Marriage Controversy in Historical Perspective
PLoS Biology:

You can continue to flame, but flaming will get you nowhere. You disagree with my points, and you are showing it by raging.

@My fellow Pukhtoon brother: I wish you best of luck with your marriage. Do as you will. Remember it's your choice. I too am a Pukthoon, and wish the best for my brothers.

Yes, stating it doesn't make it true. Where is your evidence?

no its you trying to be the jury and the judge..passing comments as a know all which is wrong.
Whole of Middle east has been doing cousin marriage since before islam..where are the 6 legged mutants?

@Raja Once again, you've posted an article that says that cousin marriages are rare and the risk is rare.

Where is your evidence that the risk isn't there?

The article says it itself.

Back
Top Bottom