What's new

Are the days of joint families over?

I would like to live in a joint family, if I am living in a Haveli..

One cannot manage living alone in a large house. I bought a house in Lucknow some time ago. It was large - it had three mango trees, two Jamun & a No of other fruit trees.

To begin with we were very happy - watering the lawn , kitchen garden and what not. Soon one realised the problems, going out for a late night or staying over at friends or relatives house became an issue. Needed a Chowkidar to look after the house - to start the generator, run the water pump etc etc.

We managed because I constructed servants quarters and kept two families still the smallest thing like repairing a leaking tap or replacing a switch became a project by itself.

Now, the two of us are so much happier living in a flat in a well managed society where everything gets taken care of.

One grew up in large houses with huge compounds but then we had parents, Grandparents, sibling & relatives living with us. The house was never empty & one did not have to worry if ' that door is locked ' or not.

I for one, miss the times spent together in a joint family.

One cannot manage living alone in a large house. I bought a house in Lucknow some time ago. It was large - it had three mango trees, two Jamun & a No of other fruit trees.

To begin with we were very happy - watering the lawn , kitchen garden and what not. Soon one realised the problems, going out for a late night or staying over at friends or relatives house became an issue. Needed a Chowkidar to look after the house - to start the generator, run the water pump etc etc.

We managed because I constructed servants quarters and kept two families still the smallest thing like repairing a leaking tap or replacing a switch became a project by itself.

Now, the two of us are so much happier living in a flat in a well managed society where everything gets taken care of.

One grew up in large houses with huge compounds but then we had parents, Grandparents, sibling & relatives living with us. The house was never empty & one did not have to worry if ' that door is locked ' or not.

I for one, miss the times spent together in a joint family.

I can't imagine living in a large house either; less is more ! :)

My ideal house would be living out of a trailer which I can drive around all over the country !

Joint families are just like the large empires. One hard working broad shouldered guy toils day and night, earns money, builds everything and his worthless sons and grandsons throwing away everything splitting all over.

Yes! Nowadays people seem to fail in managing a family of 4, joint family is a far of thing.

Really hats off to our older generation.

But we should also remember that nowadays people have much more opportunity to do a number of things, which they didn't have in earlier days.
So they were able to concentrate more on the family.

My ideal house would be living out of a trailer which I can drive around all over the country !
I hope you have the roads in your country that allow to live in a trailer and move around.
You cant do that in India.
Roads across in India are so bad, the trailer would break down every so often and be stuck in jams/narrow roads the rest of the time.

Last edited:

Choices & priorities change with time ( & age) Sir

@FalconsForPeace
You're right!
Joint family is not preferred any more.And the article has etched out the reasons well.I agree to all the points....from issues with inlaws to privacy. Yes joint family does effect a husband- wife relationship.JMHO.
There is a specific sense of freedom that gives a nuclear family the ability to live life as they wish.

But having said that I live in a place where all my friends are by default my family members.In short this place is crowded with my family members.I love the family get togethers that we have on weekends.And I love to see my son enjoying with his cousins.
Yes it would have been better if my son had his grandparents also with him.This I see as the greatest disadvantage.
But I have nothing to complain as I myself was raised in a nuclear family.

I dunno @levina seems to be living well-enough is a joint family system & @Ayush too seems to be living at his wife's house as a ghar-jamaiii, quite contently ! :unsure:

You're a rumor mill on overdrive..:angry:

@Ravi Nair ayush is not married yet.He is an engg student.
But @Armstrong is engaged already and is getting married to an American buffalo soon.:cheesy:

@FalconsForPeace
You're right!
Joint family is not preferred any more.And the article has etched out the reasons well.I agree to all the points....from issues with inlaws to privacy. Yes joint family does effect a husband- wife relationship.JMHO.
There is a specific sense of freedom that gives a nuclear family the ability to live life as they wish.

But having said that I live in a place where all my friends are by default my family members.In short this place is crowded with my family members.I love the family get togethers that we have on weekends.And I love to see my son enjoying with his cousins.
Yes it would have been better if my son had his grandparents also with him.This I see as the greatest disadvantage.
But I have nothing to complain as I myself was raised in a nuclear family.

Your Son ! :blink:

So when do I get to meet my nephew ? :kiss3:

Joint families are just like the large empires. One hard working broad shouldered guy toils day and night, earns money, builds everything and his worthless sons and grandsons throwing away everything splitting all over.

Or you know, the Italian and Corsican crime families.

Back
Top Bottom