What's new

Are China and India converging?

whether we like it or not india is a very impotant market for our future growth, that s why our ambassidor still trying very hard to have good relation with the second most hostile country toward china.

Well.. iron ore is going for a big decline this year. But still India exports rose 12.26%

I read somewhere, Indian made denim (i.e. Jeans) is cheaper in China, than what China's local price are. Reason is that India is cotton surplus ... and denim manufacture is not that much labour intensive. Arvind Mills has the world's largest capacity for denim.

thanks for info

There is no need to brag here. Trade is good for both countries, isn't???

Please do not drag this type I-am-better-than-you attitude into every discussion here.

we mostly just by raw materials from india, while we sell them machines, utilities, consumer goods and etc....so there is no surprise about the deficit in China's favor

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

That is india's advantage. BTW, if it is cheaper than what is made in China, I think China will buy more from you. Denim is a good choice for clothes as well. Made by 100% cotton is also a good sell as well.

Well.. iron ore is going for a big decline this year. But still India exports rose 12.26%

I read somewhere, Indian made denim (i.e. Jeans) is cheaper in China, than what China's local price are. Reason is that India is cotton surplus ... and denim manufacture is not that much labour intensive. Arvind Mills has the world's largest capacity for denim.

whether we like it or not india is a very impotant market for our future growth, that s why our ambassidor still trying very hard to have good relation with the second most hostile country toward china.

I thought India is the most hostile country to Chinese.

Anyway, good news for future India China relationship. The trade may break 100 $B barrier by 2013 instead of the planned 2015.

And who would be the most hostile country? US? Japan? Vietnam? Turkey? Just wondering and then you guys say India doesn't even get media coverage in China when your average Chinese sees India as a second most hostile country? Contradicting. Don't you think so? :)

thanks for info

I found that news story .... however the recent news may not be that good.... Indian rupee is again appreciating against USD.

The Indian denim was competitive with USDINR at 53 .... but it's gone down to something like 49.6.

Hence, it may have become uncompetitive in the chinese market once again.

Amdavadis take denim route to tame the Chinese dragon - India - DNA

However, I don't think it's only about exchange rate .... chinese govt tries to apply non-tarriff barriers to import of manufactured goods (atleast from India) ---- even though, preventing free market will hurt itself.

China is not expected to become the main export market for Indian goods ..... well, at least till the current CPC govt is in power !

And the kind of goods they import ... like cotton or even iron ore .... is not among priority exports, which we want to export.

It's going to be a one way trade with China for us .... for exports, we've to look at the rest of the world.

The trade deficit is worrying, the dumbtards in the Indian gov aren't doing much about it. I think more restrictions on chinese goods will equalize the deficit somewhat.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

I found that news story .... however the recent news may not be that good.... Indian rupee is again appreciating against USD.

The Indian denim was competitive with USDINR at 53 .... but it's gone down to something like 49.6.

Hence, it may have become uncompetitive in the chinese market once again.

Amdavadis take denim route to tame the Chinese dragon - India - DNA

However, I don't think it's only about exchange rate .... chinese govt tries to apply non-tarriff barriers to import of manufactured goods (atleast from India) ---- even though, preventing free market will hurt itself.

China is not expected to become the main export market for Indian goods ..... well, at least till the current CPC govt is in power !

And the kind of goods they import ... like cotton or even iron ore .... is not among priority exports, which we want to export.

It's going to be a one way trade with China for us .... for exports, we've to look at the rest of the world.

reminds me of a similar thread running here.
NYT: Come On, China, Buy Our Stuff!

The chinese are cunning and are playing us similar to what they did with the US.

And who would be the most hostile country? US? Japan? Vietnam? Turkey? Just wondering and then you guys say India doesn't even get media coverage in China when your average Chinese sees India as a second most hostile country? Contradicting. Don't you think so? :)

Not really contradicting for now all our focus is on usa cos they are our biggest trading partner

The trade deficit is worrying, the dumbtards in the Indian gov aren't doing much about it. I think more restrictions on chinese goods will equalize the deficit somewhat.

---------- Post added at 08:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

reminds me of a similar thread running here.
NYT: Come On, China, Buy Our Stuff!

The chinese are cunning and are playing us similar to what they did with the US.

I still think it's in our best interest to let free markets play .... luckily the govt has been wise enough to do that.

Yes, we should try to export to China ... but only, if it gets us profits. It should as profitable for us to sell to China, as it were when we sell to US or EU ... otherwise, there is no point, just for the sake of it.

China wants to deny itself competitively priced pharmaceuticals .... well let them.

Our key markets are going to be .. apart from US and EU .... south america, south east asia and africa.

Even Brazil, south-east asia ... leave alone US & EU ... has trouble exporting manufactured goods to China.

They want to pile up US dollars .... let them. Eventually, they will have to sort it out with Uncle Sam. I don't think Uncle Sam will pay them well.... US treasuries are among the worst in terms of returns (which china is forced to hold). Gold has brought much much better returns.

I still think it's in our best interest to let free markets play .... luckily the govt has been wise enough to do that.

Yes, we should try to export to China ... but only, if it gets us profits. It should as profitable for us to sell to China, as it were when we sell to US or EU ... otherwise, there is no point, just for the sake of it.

China wants to deny itself competitively priced pharmaceuticals .... well let them.

Our key markets are going to be .. apart from US and EU .... south america, south east asia and africa.

Even Brazil, south-east asia ... leave alone US & EU ... has trouble exporting manufactured goods to China.

They want to pile up US dollars .... let them. Eventually, they will have to sort it out with Uncle Sam. I don't think Uncle Sam will pay them well.... US treasuries are among the worst in terms of returns (which china is forced to hold). Gold has brought much much better returns.

I believe in tit for tat measures, why be the losers? let them go crying to the WTO or anywhere, no one's gonna side with them cos of their own protectionist policies.

it is true that cheap indian denim not only popular in China but also europ, low-end brands from China or West they often get denims from India, they sell in big quantity, but the problem is the profit margin left to indian suppliers and farmers are neglectable.

most Chinese member would know this chinese huge brand 美特斯邦威 who sells jeans as cheap as £3 up to £10 most! image how much profit left for their suppliers.

but the top denim manufacturing is from Italy followed by Japan, China and Turkey. the Italian jeans we sell under our brand is around £200-£300 and Chinese ones from £100 - £150

I believe in tit for tat measures, why be the losers? let them go crying to the WTO or anywhere, no one's gonna side with them cos of their own protectionist policies.
you'd be naive to believe no country practice protectionism, I have been doing business in Europe for long time, i know very well how they set up barriers to block chinese imports (they didnt do anything to indians) as they consider it threatens to their local industry. China is actually one of the biggest victims of protectionism.

Well, if at all ... first, let's become their largest market. And that is quite many years away. :laugh:

They have already blocked a lot of capital in a sh*t load full of (even locally owned) factories ... whose produce no one wants. Or atleast not in that much volumes, and in the quality which their local manufacturers produce. Africa can't buy in that much volumes .... EU and US doesn't want that quality. Those factories have no option, but to sell to India ... and at the price with Indian importers can sell to consumers back home.

However, we pay in USD ... so the volume of our exports will be linked to how much we export to rest of the world ... otherwise the rupee declines; and even China won't be able export to us.

China made mobile phones were to become uncompetitive if USDINR were to go to 55. Anyway, for now the rupee has reversed direction.....

Anyway, shirk ... we've to look for profitable exports, to the rest of the world ... or even to China.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom