What's new

Are China and India converging?

I have not read the article but having read some of the comments on the thread I want to share my thoughts -

India/Indians, after getting independence in 47, was/were not willing to have any kind of serious interactions with outside world. We had just learnt our bitter lessons for remaining in disunity and believing stupidly in trading companies.

After this experience, we went into complete shell unwilling to let any outsider set their trade shops on our lands. Lots of people started believing in swaraj/ self dependent, which was not exactly a bad thing but it was a bit too early for us..

This confusion/conflict in our mind remained for a long time. We for some time in 60s let IBM and Pepsi set their shops in India only to throw them out again in 70s. All these kept going on and in mid we faced invasions/wars from neighborhood. This eventful part lasted till 90s when we reached almost on the verge of Bankruptcy but thanks to a visionary leader like PV narasimha rao who realized its time to open up and brought Manmohan singh to fore front in 1991 and their India went all the way into acceleration mode..

We do face few hiccups/ups and downs but that's the way one grow. God willing, we will be able to sort out all our issues sooner or later and will in the same position that we were in the past. We will be the same place, search a route to which lead to the discovery of America. The same place, the riches of which always attracted people.. But there is a difference now and it is that we are more united and better force.. We are ready/ getting ready to take any bully head on..

I have not read the article but having read some of the comments on the thread I want to share my thoughts -

India/Indians, after they got independence in 47, was not willing to have any kind of serious interactions with outside world. We had just learnt our bitter lessons for remaining in disunity and believing stupidly in trading companies.
After this experience, we went into complete shell unwilling to let any outsider set their trade shops on our lands. Lots of people started believing in swaraj/ self dependent, which was not exactly a bad thing but it was a bit too early for us..

This confusion/conflict in our mind remained for a long time. We for some time in 60s let IBM and Pepsi set their shops in India only to throw them out again in 70s. All these kept going on and in mid we faced invasions/wars from neighborhood. This eventful part lasted till 90s when we reached almost on the verge of Bankruptcy but thanks to a visionary leader like PV narasimha rao who realized its time to open up and brought Manmohan singh to fore front in 1991 and their India went all the way into acceleration mode..

We do face few hiccups/ups and downs but that's the way one grow. God willing, we will be able to sort out all our issues sooner or later and will in the same position that we were in the past. We will be the same place, search a route to which lead to the discovery of America. The same place, the riches of which always attracted people.. But there is a difference now and it is that we are more united and better force.. We are ready/ getting ready to take any bully head on..

Your knowledge of India is apparently better than your knowledge of Chinese history. :laugh: This all makes sense.

So what about the current debate on whether to allow companies like Walmart, Tesco set foot in India?

Your knowledge of India is apparently better than your knowledge of Chinese history. :laugh: This all makes sense.

I do know a lot about China also mate.. I know you r talking about Genghis khan episode, but whatever you say, Genghis khan will remain a Mongol and not become a Chinese. :lol:

And I don't believe in taking things hands down so if you troll on me you will get a sound response from a troll in me.. ;)

So what about the current debate on whether to allow companies like Walmart, Tesco set foot in India?

I for one believe, we need to open up and let these companies set their foot in India. It will bring more employment in India and food to poor. Unfortunately, dirty politics is slowing down the process but we will be there..

Yet according to the Economist, China is 40 years ahead of India in terms of development indicators. :rofl:

No thanks, we do not want your Caste country with more poverty and starvation than the entire continent of Africa.

You are in fact 100 years ahead, kid. Has that prevented poverty and discrimination in China? Man there are much worse discrimination that are happening in China today as you are talking here.. Only exposure of a few of them will blast your fake ego away..

communism is not india's type...

diversity....as somme1 said...

live example....the indian state of West Bengal...30 years under communist rule with ZERO (almost) development...

the recently elected democratic govt....is not doing much...bt doing a lot lot n lot more than the communists did in 30 years....

communism is not india's type...

live example....the indian state of West Bengal...30 years under communist rule with ZERO (almost) development...

the only reason: Chinese IQ 105

http://img4.bbs.**********/uploadfiles/images/2012/01/01/0101093118468.JPG

I for one believe, we need to open up and let these companies set their foot in India. It will bring more employment in India and food to poor. Unfortunately, dirty politics is slowing down the process but we will be there..

Well, this thing could be a double edge sword. They may kill a lot local small shops. So objections could be legitimate as well. In China companies like Carrefour are pretty powerful to dictate trading and supply terms. Such conflicts are on newspaper from time to time. A few months earlier Chongqing government fined Walmart for selling staled food, I personally feel the governement just wanted to send them a political signal so they know who the real boss is.

India can not function as a dictatorial communist system. We are just too diverse.

Democracy though a legthy process is a long lasting system. Communism may be a fast food but injurious to health in the long run...

You have seen 60-65 years, see 60 more and than compare.

I am totally and only for Democracy as the system. And Indian DEMOCRACY in terms of quality is only improving now ...things like Lok Paal will give the democracy actual muscles...

Anyway....we have progressed in the last 60 years ( and not regressed) ....may be less..but did progress...isn't it.

what would be the difference between a communist system and the one you have now? i can only think of advantages.

first, your bribe paying would be reduced and centralized. instead of paying bribes to every politician and police, you only have to pay bribes to a few.

second, you don't make any decisions right now anyways, under communism you'll at least have a chance of influencing the government, right now your voice is worth only the bag of rice that corrupt politicians trade for votes.

third, there's no incentive for politicians to keep people dumb and divided.

spare the communist nonsense....

you people got a 15 year headstart in your reforms...and only an ignoramus will think that indian manufacturing sector is as bad as you think...

India ranked second in global manufacturing competence - Economic Times

India among world's top 10 manufacturing nations: UNIDO - Economic Times

btw flying pigs can atleast survive..while a shark attempting to fly will be dead meat in 5 minutes unable to breathe...

Indian manufacturing in essential strategic technologies is very bad. Even if we do make stuff, it is not commercialized and with lesser commercialization than China, naturally revenues from everything there are much higher than ours. Though I am not a fan of the Chinese model, I would say that we all Indians must appreciate their speed of implementing a resolution to its fullest.

On paper, we Indians have so many resolutions that if someone reads them, we'd be considered the most ideal nation on this planet. But it never gets implemented through the Mob Rule that our country suffers from. Corrupt anti-national government at Centre, further branched and assisted by dacoit and bandit origin local politicians who rule by hidden-gun-law, are the reasons why we are behind China today.

Nothing else. If our implementation could at least increase by double the current speed if not the 6 times that Chinese are at, we can still emerge at 10-12% per annum. But for that, we will have to wait to 2014 when Narendra Modi comes in to save us.

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

the only reason: Chinese IQ 105

http://img4.bbs.**********/uploadfiles/images/2012/01/01/0101093118468.JPG

German IQ is lower than British and Pakistani is higher than us.. wow. I am so convinced now.... :coffee:

Indian manufacturing in essential strategic technologies is very bad. Even if we do make stuff, it is not commercialized and with lesser commercialization than China, naturally revenues from everything there are much higher than ours. Though I am not a fan of the Chinese model, I would say that we all Indians must appreciate their speed of implementing a resolution to its fullest.

On paper, we Indians have so many resolutions that if someone reads them, we'd be considered the most ideal nation on this planet. But it never gets implemented through the Mob Rule that our country suffers from. Corrupt anti-national government at Centre, further branched and assisted by dacoit and bandit origin local politicians who rule by hidden-gun-law, are the reasons why we are behind China today.

Nothing else. If our implementation could at least increase by double the current speed if not the 6 times that Chinese are at, we can still emerge at 10-12% per annum. But for that, we will have to wait to 2014 when Narendra Modi comes in to save us.

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

German IQ is lower than British and Pakistani is higher than us.. wow. I am so convinced now.... :coffee:

Mongolia's IQ is 105!!!. Sure CPC propaganda. Pity the Chinese. They believe all this $hit

India-China bilateral trade hit a record USD 73.9 billion last year, but the ballooning trade deficit in Beijing’s favour rose to over USD 27 billion, raising concern among Indian authorities. The bilateral trade registered a USD 12.2 billion increase in 2011, taking the total to USD 73.9 billion as against USD 61.7 billion in 2010, according to official trade figures for the last year.

The trade deficit in 2011, however, piled up to USD 27.07 billion even though Indian exports to China went up to USD 23.4 billion registering a growth of almost 12.26 per cent compared to the same period in year 2010. “The overall trade figure looks good but the deficit remains a cause for concern,” Indian Ambassador to China S Jaishankar told PTI here.

He said efforts are being made to improve market access for Indian products in China. “We have some early signs of movement in access to the Indian IT products. But these are early days,” he said, referring to various campaigns organised by the Indian Embassy to push IT and Pharmaceutical exports to China.

Most important thing is that the bilateral trade is growing well despite the global economic downturn, he said. Chinese officials have been acknowledging India’s concerns over trade deficit and the issue was expected to figure in detail in India-China Trade Ministers talks during the BRICS Commerce Meeting on March 28 in New Delhi. The Indian exports, mainly composed of primary products and commodity sector, increased despite the decline of iron ore exports, which dominated exports to China for long due to ban on mining in Karnataka and Goa, said K Nagraj Naidu, head of the economic and trade wing of the Indian Embassy.

India-China trade hits all time high of USD 73.9 bln in 2011 | Day & Night News

we mostly just by raw materials from india, while we sell them machines, utilities, consumer goods and etc....so there is no surprise about the deficit in China's favor

Whether this is good or bad ..... depends on everybody's own views.

But the implication is that India already may be the 3rd largest export customer of China ... after only USA and Japan.

50 Billion USD of chinese exports go to India; US figure is 220 billion USD and Japan 97 billion USD.

South Korea & Germany would be close .... both around 50 billion USD. (And hence, could be hovering around the 3rd largest customer).

Given the growth in India ... unlike Germany & SK .... it will be funny to see China looking for growth in the Indian economy, for it's export (and eventually, it's own growth).

we mostly just by raw materials from india, while we sell them machines, utilities, consumer goods and etc....so there is no surprise about the deficit in China's favor

Well.. iron ore is going for a big decline this year. But still India exports rose 12.26%

I read somewhere, Indian made denim (i.e. Jeans) is cheaper in China, than what China's local price are. Reason is that India is cotton surplus ... and denim manufacture is not that much labour intensive. Arvind Mills has the world's largest capacity for denim.

Back
Top Bottom