What's new

Arab Spring Indian Style

looks like Mr. Hazare will be released from prison soon and will begin his 15 day hunger strike.

i really respect him.....a lot. And people like him. Actually, as harsh as I can be from time to time on our eastern neighbours, I really commend them who are out there protesting peacefully

corruption is a plague which must be destroyed and spat on.....I was watching a report on Al Jazeera today on Somalia. Local businessmen are stealing food and other aid meant for the poor and re-routing it in order to suit their own interests. It doesnt get more disgusting than that.

ultimately it is the poor who suffer the most...corruption has become so institutionalized in our part of the world, you always have to pay a bribe to some bloody babu to get things done properly. I think that this is one uniting factors between our countries (and other countries in the region like Bangladesh).

it's only a matter of time before people snap, and will demand change (hopefully not violently). This was one Gandhian ideal which a lot of people should strive for, i think. It's democratic, and yet these large protests put inexorable pressure on the government to enact changes and bring reforms.

so i say best of luck to Mr. Hazare, i stand by his cause 100% and i hope we have similar calls for change in Pakistan

Indians respected democracy for last 64 years. There was not a single dictatorship or military coup. So no need to worry. We Indians have every right to protest and we fear none.
And the result it for all to see...world most corrupt country..better a dictator than swiss account hoarders!

India the No.1 Democracy on paper is doing the same with Hazare as what the dictactor of damascus would do..where is the respect for democracy now?

And the result it for all to see...world most corrupt country..better a dictator than swiss account hoarders!

Point taken, We will try to improve

India the No.1 Democracy on paper is doing the same with Hazare as what the dictactor of damascus would do..where is the respect for democracy now?

I have no Idea how you can compare "dictactor of damascus" to indian situation??? Both uprising is different , where as Arab world is focusing on "Regime change" Our focus is on "System change". We don't want one corrupt goes, other corrupt come.

We have shown the world the "Power of peace" We will again show the world its power.

You tried both and what happened. You are still above us on the amount of corruption. Your current President is openly called Mr. 10%.
Its better to have a democratic leader that we can change after 5 years rather than a dictator who will run tanks over us.

Keep it up! It is great examples. Unfortunately Pakistan will have to follow what India beautifully does. Pakistanis should use our own mind long times ago. Pakistan tend to follow other people's examples as always. i.e India buy, Pakistan buy, India win, Pakistan win, India fight, Pakistan fight. Lol. Come on, we have brain to use it ourselves.

Anna Hazare, I thought she is girl.

following good practices is always welcome.
we must adapt the good practices form others, let how small or weak it be.

Most arabs are now recognizing the power of democracy. They want to shift to democracy rather than blow themselves up in desperation. As far as corruption is concerned, it is rampant there also. So, I guess we are ahead of the curve.
Anyways, U guyz didn't even start. No wonder most of u can't appreciate it.

You tried both and what happened. You are still above us on the amount of corruption. Your current President is openly called Mr. 10%.
Its better to have a democratic leader that we can change after 5 years rather than a dictator who will run tanks over us.

what the hell's that supposed to mean?

as for democracy, well its being given a chance in Pakistan and in 2013 there will be elections. So where does this tank analogy come from?

I have no Idea how you can compare "dictactor of damascus" to indian situation??? Both uprising is different , where as Arab world is focusing on "Regime change" Our focus is on "System change". We don't want one corrupt goes, other corrupt come.

We have shown the world the "Power of peace" We will again show the world its power.
Actually we are not even trying to change the system. We are only trying to add accountability into the system so that it works better. The struggle is between folks who don't want to be accountable vs. people who want accountability built in.
Everybody is in agreement that our system otherwise is very reasonable.

Anna's aim is not overthrowing the government but passing a strong lokpal bill against corruption.

According to rules of democracy its the right of the parliament to vote in favour or against this bill so anyone be it anna or anyone else forcing the elected members through any blackmailing or otherwise is against the rules of democracy simple as that.

his right is to get the bill tabled in the parliament but insisting the elected members should pass it on his desire is not his right

According to rules of democracy its the right of the parliament to vote in favour or against this bill so anyone be it anna or anyone else forcing the elected members through any blackmailing or otherwise is against the rules of democracy simple as that.

his right is to get the bill tabled in the parliament but insisting the elected members should pass it on his desire is not his right

He did not ask for it to be passed. He wanted both versions to be presented and debated. And he wanted PM to be included. These never happened.

He did not ask for it to be passed. He wanted both versions to be presented and debated. And he wanted PM to be included. These never happened.

That is quiet fair. both be tabled in the parliament and everyone must be included even Judiciary since Indian Judiciary had been talk of the town recently viz a viz corruption.

why congress is shying of tabling the two or his bill ?

That is quiet fair. both be tabled in the parliament and everyone must be included even Judiciary since Indian Judiciary had been talk of the town recently viz a viz corruption.

why congress is shying of tabling the two or his bill ?

Beats logic. Anna seems to be open to keeping the judiciary out. In fact in an unprecedented move, a judge was impeached by the Rajya Sabha. I guess this campaign seems to be having some effect.

Soumitra Sen first judge to be impeached by RS - Hindustan Times

Back
Top Bottom