What's new

April 10, 2013-Pakistan test-fires Hatf-4 Shaheen-I

that is what gyroscopes are for.
Those fins are meant for stabilization along the longitudinal axis and to prevent spin; that is it.

the warhead section has it's own vector thrust motors which are used to correct warhead path.

I think you got me wrong there. I wasn't talking about the outer, larger fins on the tail. Of course they are for stabilization.

The gyros compose the guidance unit, which delivers the commands to the control mechanism, which in this case are those inner exhaust vanes.

Yeah definitely, the ReV has its own maneuvering mechanism.

That was noticed immediately, in last years test one can see the same type of missile breaking through the cloud.....please explain what does this means....different attitude of attack. ??

[video]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17840305[/video]

The missile is fired at 00:07 and changes trajectory at 00:28..that means a flight time of 21 seconds ..
Say for example the average speed of the missile in this flight was mach 4..Then it has travelled
1361 X 21 = 28,581 meters?
Thats an altitude of 28.5 Kilometres where the missile significantly changes trajectory and is seen "manoeuvring".
That altitude is still well within atmosphere and one can guess that the forward fins or some mechanism of diverting missile exhaust jet has kicked in and manoeuvred the missile.

nop...
Blindness theory is more plausible...

so you did order the water car .. didn't you ?

You mean it levelled out at the low altitude. ??

There is no such thing as flat trajectory ... the missile can not go flat !

Unlike airplanes if it does it will start to loose altitude, since gravity only works in one direction and the missile as no active lift surface to counter that.

Like I said before .. the missile follows a parabolic trajectory, the only time it will be flat ( for an instant only) is when it will start it's decent.

up until the point where the ReV is separated there is no "maneuvering". All what the motor does is follow the flight path as accurately as possible.

Respect the laws of physics ... that is how God controls us.

The missile is fired at 00:07 and changes trajectory at 00:28..that means a flight time of 21 seconds ..
Say for example the average speed of the missile in this flight was mach 4..Then it has travelled
1361 X 21 = 28,581 meters?
Thats an altitude of 28.5 Kilometres where the missile significantly changes trajectory and is seen "manoeuvring".
That altitude is still well within atmosphere and one can guess that the forward fins or some mechanism of diverting missile exhaust jet has kicked in and manoeuvred the missile.
I said in an earlier post that the flight behaviour was like a cruise missile.....however coming to your calculations, correct me if I'm wrong, surely in the initial stage of blast off, the speed wouldn't be anywhere near a Mach point.....none the less, what's the most advantage for the missile levelling out much earlier, is it to confuse the enemy radars/ABMs or is it because it's purposely meant to fly in this attitude since there's no terrain to follow over the ocean. ????

missi.png

@Windjammer...please see this picture...
It shows pros and cons of different types of trajectories...

Looks like the Shaheen is following "Minimum energy trajectory"

It has all to do with the physics of missile flight...

Last edited by a moderator:
@Safriz

So suffice to say, for less payload you have a maximum range weapon with tactical advantages.

What actually causes the deflection. ??

@Safriz

So suffice to say, for less payload you have a maximum range weapon with tactical advantages.

What actually causes the deflection. ??

That is the most plausible answer...
But as you can see the diagram and the definition of different trajectories,the Minimum energy trajectory also needs very accurate guidance system as unlike lofted trajectory the missile suffers "More deflection".
So its a sacrifice of payload weight for making the missile more efficient,but needs a superior guidance system and manoeuvrability,as the missile cannot follow a plain parabolic path,it has to keep changing orientation throughout the burnout time until the fuel is exhausted.

For reference only (Indian members are asked not to go bananas on me as its for reference only :D )

See the launch of K-15 missile...It too goes almost flat within the same time frame as Shaheen

What is the most comparable thing to this missile in GCC's arsenal ?

KSA balistic missiles program is greatly secretive, last time they announced a ballistic missile test was in 1997. As far as I'm concerned it's range was 700 KM.

KSA balistic missiles program is greatly secretive, last time they announced a ballistic missile test was 1997. As far as I'm concerned it's range was 700 KM.

Do you know of any tech sharing deal for missiles between any Arab country and Pakistan ?

Do you know of any tech sharing deal for missiles between any Arab country and Pakistan ?

There was some sort of cooperation between Pakistan and Libya and KSA. Not sure if this cooperation still on between PAK and KSA. However, KSA bought 440 undisclosed ballistic missiles from China and delivery started in 2011, but there is no info about Pakistani exports to KSA.

@Safriz what you are refering to as Shaheen and Shaheen-I are the two versions of Shaheen-I. (as stated by Dr. Mand)

The first version (having delta fins) had a ~500 km range, and was tested in late '90s.
The second one (having clipped delta fins) had ~700 km range, and was tested after 2002 (not sure about the dates)

Not my fault..
They stenciled the Delta fins missile with "Shaheen" and cropped Delta fins missile they stencilled with the name "Shaheen-1" :D

Back
Top Bottom