What's new

Anti Hindi storm brewing in Tamilnadu

It's already an official language. Difficult to argue that it is a completely foreign language still.. In any case, no language will be acceptable. Not English, not Hindi. No point.
Hindi can be acceptable. But not English. And Hindi should not be official language.

Should be English then. As many Tamil protestors have pointed out - if a national language is necessary,let it be a language equally alien to all, not one which gives advantage to a section,
--
Tamil protester callling it as per their convenience for english
same happing with hindi belt ...
--
languege is bindling factor between two people..
-
english
is stil privileage for few whihc we get educatin..
even if you convent schooled
which lanaguge you use with frinds and at home...
--
which lanague yu most comforable to abuse ..
this will give clear ans where is your heart lay :-)

:D

Ravi.. Would you think it's the natural progression of Hindi as the lingua franca given globalization and information technology than actually it's enforcement that's making language fanatics particularly in TN (I dont see any other state having such a big issue) defensive than it is actually necessary ?

when Tamilians started protesting the imposition of Hindi, they had a valid case. Now I think it is more about political expediency.

To me, some of it's outdated ideology. For example, it is curious to me that Tamilians are aware of wrongs done to them, but if you look at their society, there are still honor killings based on caste. Dravidian ideology has been hijacked by middle castes to repress the lower castes.

I digress, South Indians do not like Hindi imposed on them. Wen you read news publications they favor English as they beleive in this day and age where English is the business lingua franca, they see no financial benefit to it.

arguments of national integration seems to come from a place of insecurity of past colonial baggage and wounded pride Much like the Tamil chauvinists actually.

Both camps need to calm down.

exactly! there was freedom to use tamil as an administrative language in north and east and especially in rest of SL.
But what made wrong was, Tamil civil servants had to learn Sinhala to go to higher statuses again which can be debated in two ways.

I think the major issue was removing English from the official status.. If that didnt happen i think as the link language it would have counter balanced the issues you have stated.. They just went too far in it's imposition.. Far too nationalistic.. Even though the motive was fair

--
Tamil protester callling it as per their convenience for english
same happing with hindi belt ...
--
languege is bindling factor between two people..
-
english
is stil privileage for few whihc we get educatin..
even if you convent schooled
which lanaguge you use with frinds and at home...
--
which lanague yu most comforable to abuse ..
this will give clear ans where is your heart lay :-)
They are not Protesters. They are Netas and some of his workers.

when Tamilians started protesting the imposition of Hindi, they had a valid case. Now I think it is more about political expediency.

To me, some of it's outdated ideology. For example, it is curious to me that Tamilians are aware of wrongs done to them, but if you look at their society, there are still honor killings based on caste. Dravidian ideology has been hijacked by middle castes to repress the lower castes.

I digress, South Indians do not like Hindi imposed on them. Wen you read news publications they favor English as they beleive in this day and age where English is the business lingua franca, they see no financial benefit to it.

arguments of national integration seems to come from a place of insecurity of past colonial baggage and wounded pride Much like the Tamil chauvinists actually.

That is why I said it should not be imposed. Just make it an official language.

Oh ok. No not that way. For me Hindi is more like an Identity.

So all of you start again :P

@manlion comes by and starts a useless thread, you guys point out the fail and start debating on a non-issue :lol:

They are not Protesters. They are Netas and some of his workers.
--
i dont not intended people...
ordinary man is too much busy with daily life ..
its netas and politics..
even that is fine if it is for NATION building and not for PARTY building

Which may well be the case for most post colonial democracies that are not homogeneous

Hindi and north Indians are superior to south indian. Its just natural order of things, and south indians will eventually succumb to Hindi only.

yes and Bangladesh will still be the insignificant backwater it is. The bastard child of Begal who soyearn to be Arabs.

you guys are the biggest joke in South Asia :lol:

Back
Top Bottom