What's new

Anti Hindi storm brewing in Tamilnadu

What is 'understood'? It's spoken only by 40% of the people.
But understood by more than that. No other language has that much of spread.

Hindi as a people is different from Hindi as a language. When people refer to the people of India as Hindi or Hindu, they are not referring to the language which is not more than 200-300 years old.
No. I did not mean that. This identity was not there before 300 years.

I live in Bangalore, Hosur(Tamilnadu) is just 10 Km form here.. I have the information that Tamil parents are asking school to teach Hindi.

As There Kids are going for Job in Delhi/NCR/Mumbai and many other place in India, Its getting difficult for them... Look like Karunanidhi want some browny points..

Exactly.. All nay sayers ignore the fact all the other languages are regional and will remain regional.. It is only Hindi that is spoken nation wide hence the only one that has the capability of being the national language

says who Where's the proof for your snake oil? Why would a person who 'understands' a language not speak it? You're talking about Tamilians? Take this to Maharashtra where defenders of Marathi Manoos will do much more than just protest. They specialize in beatings.

Why is it a shock? It is absurd for you to expect everyone to bow and bend to please Hindi speakers as though they are some superior species. Should a Tamilian be shocked to come to Delhi and see that no one there can speak Tamil?
But you want Sanskrit to be the national language of India??..
Are you expecting the Minorities to learn Sanskrit forcefully???if thats the case...
i don't think it will be a PLEASING moment for minorities...

Hindi as a people is different from Hindi as a language. When people refer to the people of India as Hindi or Hindu, they are not referring to the language which is not more than 200-300 years old.

Prakrut is very old language, Why don't you learn it... Its all about communication. Hindi is not bad.. It will not fcuk up your Tamil, telgu, kannad, punjabi or English.. I don't know why ppl are so paranoid of Hindi...

In old India same happen, some morons forced use of Sanskrit, hence huge population who were speaking common man language remain uneducated...

come out of Language barrier.. No language gonna fcuk u...

since even Christ spoke Tamil, it should rightfully be honored as the national language of India

Hindi is not becoming the sole national language in India. That is all there to it. End of discussion. It's sickening to see everyone gulping the trollbait(from an Islamist troll) and engage in a senseless debate on what should be this or that. Hindi has been one of the national languages along with several other - and will remain so - pretty much forever.

It is.. That is also something most people outside does not know or either being told different.. All public institutions, Transport, Road signs are trilingual island wide

Most Lankans are bilingual and the younger generations will be trilingual
I am not talking about the Indian origin Tamils of Colombo and kandy..
what about the eelam Tamils of North???..Are they bilingual??..

says who Where's the proof for your snake oil? Why would a person who 'understands' a language not speak it? You're talking about Tamilians? Take this to Maharashtra where defenders of Marathi Manoos will do much more than just protest. They specialize in beatings.
I was there in Maharastra in Tata Institute of Fundamental research for 6-7 months. I know how is it. I will post the article once I get it. I have read it in 2001. That will be the proof.

Hindi is not becoming the sole national language in India. That is all there to it. End of discussion. It's sickening to see everyone gulping the trollbait(from an Islamist troll) and engage in a senseless debate on what should be this or that. Hindi has been one of the national languages along with several other - and will remain so - pretty much forever.

its Monday !

Apples to Oranges.. You cant compare post colonial multi ethnic countries like Ceylon and India that had societies being in existent for some 3000 years with a colonial entity like Canada that has a recorded history of mere 500 odd years

Both French and English are languages of the colonists and foreign.. There is no entrench cultural value.. Indian languages are all native

Again i was asking for the opinion if Indians will object if Hindi be made the national language if over 70% speak it ?

It is not. Because even nation states are a modern concept, borrowed from Western countries. If that is acceptable, then so is multilingual states. Otherwise, why do we not go back to the Hindu and Buddhist kingdoms as it existed back then? Within this modern nation state, we have to accommodate many many interests. Language is destiny. To get Hindi promoted over rest of the languages would be criminal injustice to many other language speaking citizens by not only giving the Hindi speakers an unfair advantage in govt jobs and entrance exams but also be responsible for the slow suicide of all other cultures and languages.

There is entrenched cultural value with languages too. For the most part Hindi that is spoken is not easily differentiated from Urdu and as such carries a large component of Islamic values through it. From disdain and contempt for sadhus and sants to temples, and means of worship in temples, there is a large difference in the outlook of those states which were under Islamic rule (Hindi speaking states) and the states which never endured Islamic rule for any significant length of time to have altered their native culture.

There should be public poll. Netas will follow vote bank.

They follow vote bank because they know there is a constituency which aligns with the view they are promoting.

Last edited:
It is not. Because even nation states are a modern concept, borrowed from Western countries. If that is acceptable, then so is multilingual states. Otherwise, why do we not go back to the Hindu and Buddhist kingdoms as it existed back then? Within this modern nation state, we have to accommodate many many interests. Language is destiny. To get Hindi promoted over rest of the languages would be criminal injustice to many other language speaking citizens by not only giving them an unfair advantage in govt jobs and entrance exams but also be responsible for the slow suicide of all other cultures and languages.

There is entrenched cultural value with languages too. For the most part Hindi that is spoken is not easily differentiated from Urdu and as such carries a large component of Islamic values through it. From disdain and contempt for sadhus and sants to temples, and means of worship in temples, there is a large difference in the outlook of those states which were under Islamic rule (Hindi speaking states) and the states which never endured Islamic rule for any significant length of time to have altered their native culture.

They follow vote bank because they know there is a constituency which aligns with the view they are promoting.
Yep a small constituency. That is why I said a poll should be there in each state.

Apples to Oranges.. You cant compare post colonial multi ethnic countries like Ceylon and India that had societies being in existent for some 3000 years with a colonial entity like Canada that has a recorded history of mere 500 odd years

Both French and English are languages of the colonists and foreign.. There is no entrench cultural value.. Indian languages are all native

Again i was asking for the opinion if Indians will object if Hindi be made the national language if over 70% speak it ?

Also you must realize India is a union of states. Hindiwallahs did not conquer India for their fiefdom, nor is there any special merit associated with Hindi over any other languages.

I am not talking about the Indian origin Tamils of Colombo and kandy..
what about the eelam Tamils of North???..Are they bilingual??..

Well they have been cut off from the rest of the country for over 30 years so yeah they will need to catch up.. But what i was saying is the trilingual policy of the state is continuing and it had been for some time now.. which most outsiders are not aware of

Btw majority of the Tamil population live outside the north, That excluding plantation Tamils.. Colombo is a majority Tamil city

Back
Top Bottom