What's new

An outrageous ban

Ahmadi-owned products: Lahore lawyers stick to ban in face of criticism

LAHORE: The Lahore Bar Association (LBA) received strong criticism from minority lawyers over the proposed ban of Shezan drinks at the premises of lower courts.
The decision to ban Ahmadi-owned products on the premises of subordinate courts was reached earlier at the LBA’s bar room following the recommendations of Advocate Ghulam Mustafa Chaudhry, president of the Khatme Nabuwat Lawyers Forum (KNLF).
According to a statement by LBA President Chaudhry Zulfiqar Ali, the proposed decision was being taken into the general house, however the procedural move was unlikely to change LBA’s stance on the ban. Zulfiqar said a team has been formed to ensure that the decision taken by the house was implemented, and vowed tough action against those found buying or selling Ahmadi-owned products on court premises.
Asked about his opinion on the subject, he said, “One thing is very clear that Shezan will not be allowed in subordinate courts.”
Lawyers belonging to the Ahmadiya community, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the decision was condemnable and disappointing.
Published in The Express Tribune, February 13th, 2012.

i was wondering LBA par islam itnay saal baad kaisay nazil ho gaya ? Why now ? why was it not banned in the past ?

May be some bigot mullah and co wanted to buy this company or probably were refused chanda for so caled kar e khair

This is not good ..
We had this problem in india in the form of untouchables ..now it is on its last leg ..
I wonder this problem in india would have sprout on religious basis where some people followed some practices which were considered religiously wrong by religious scholars of ancient time and social ban on them followed as in the case of ahmedis in pakistan ...my two cents

I take a positive view of all that is happening in Pakistan. its better that such intolerance, bigotry and xenophobia comes out in the open and looses its steam. forcing it with a lid or brushing it under the rug will only make it simmer and gather force to come out with far more force.

I too believe this. You said it rightly.

But lives of minorities are in real danger until the day these bigots see some sense.

The Turkish Caliph, who was regarded as the spiritual head of South Asian Muslims, had ordered that the life of a Qadyiani be spared. Forfeiture of property remains.

That is why Turk caliphate has gone to hell and has been replaced with secularism. Better system wins in the end.

i was wondering LBA par islam itnay saal baad kaisay nazil ho gaya ? Why now ? why was it not banned in the past ?

Imran Khan's Tehrik-e-Insaf has gained hold of LHC bar in the recent elections. Imagine that. Imran Khan the spiritual successor of Hazrat Zia-ul-Haq. Who could have seen that coming?

Imran Khan's Tehrik-e-Insaf has gained hold of LHC bar in the recent elections. Imagine that. Imran Khan the spiritual successor of Hazrat Zia-ul-Haq. Who could have seen that coming?

Very interesting point you have made , PTI heads the Lahore bar ... Many knew IK ,many are not sure .. the state is kiotic and confused any one can take advantage

A dream gone sour
Harsh Mander
March 06, 2011

It’s nine years since many districts across Gujarat were swept by a tornado of hate. Innumerable lives were snuffed out, women and girls brutally raped and killed, and homes and livelihoods destroyed.

Thousands of people fled their homes in mortal fear. But nine years is a long time.
Nature equips the human body and spirit with extraordinary capacities to heal from great injury. Yet, there are some wounds that don’t mend even after a lifetime. I encounter such unhealed suffering among survivors of mass communal violence in Nellie of 1983, Delhi of 1984 and Gujarat of 2002. There is something about the violence of mass hate, which makes its wounds fester even after many others heal.

In villages and towns of Gujarat, survivors have adapted themselves to the everyday reality of second-class citizenship. I estimate that nearly 100,000 people have been permanently ejected and their erstwhile settlements ‘cleansed’ of Muslim residents. A quarter of these internally displaced people endure in austere relief colonies, established after the carnage by various Muslim organisations. The remainder have moved to the safety of numbers in poorly serviced Muslim ghettoes.

Across the state today, I observe what I regard as the ‘Dalitisation’ of the Gujarati Muslim. Like Dalits, Muslims in Gujarat today live in segregated settlements, socially devalued and economically ostracised. They are discriminated against in schools and police stations, deprived of basic public services, discouraged in both private and public employment, and excluded from social intercourse such as wedding and birth celebrations. Dalits have lived with these social and economic disabilities for centuries. But the process of pushing Muslims to the same humiliating margins of Gujarati society as Dalits was compressed into the single past decade. This is the enduring legacy of the politics of hatred and division, which has triumphed in Gujarat. We don’t know if and when this will ever change.

Muslims in Gujarat today don’t live in the expectation of another imminent orgy of mass violence. But they survive daily discrimination as an incontrovertible element of survival. Markers of Muslim identity are fading from Gujarati public life. In many villages, one of the conditions imposed on Muslim residents who wished to return was that the call of the azaan from their mosque should no longer resonate in the village. Auto-rickshaw drivers in every city in the country decorate their rickshaws with symbols of their religious faith (alongside pictures of buxom film actresses). In Ahmedabad, I can estimate that my rickshaw driver is a Muslim only because his rickshaw has no markers of faith. Muslim eateries have adopted culturally-neutral names like Ekta, Tulsi and Jaihind, and no symbols of Muslim faith decorate their walls.

We’re helping hundreds of survivors to fight criminal cases against those who slaughtered, raped and plundered in 2002. But we frequently lose these cases in courts, because many baulk at the last minute from naming their tormentors. They want to see them punished, but calculate that if they are to live in Gujarat they can’t afford to antagonise their neighbours. Some dignify these ‘compromises’ as forgiveness. But in their hearts they know that these are acts of surrender. It’s not easy to feel resigned to see your tormentors walk free on the dusty paths of your village everyday.

Many people who filed charges against their neighbours for the crimes of 2002 found themselves embroiled in false criminal charges, and some even spent months and years in jail. They dropped their charges, as the price to be freed from jail and be relieved from false criminal cases against them. Young Muslim men also live in fear that they will be picked up for terrorist crimes. Many are forced to spend hopeless years behind prison walls on flimsy charges of which they may be acquitted. But who can return to them the lost years of their lives? And of those of their loved ones who wait all these years outside in penury and despair?

It does little to reassure the Muslim citizens of Gujarat that their persisting persecution under his watch hasn’t dimmed the sheen of chief minister Narendra Modi — an icon for legions of his admirers. He is celebrated by virtually every national corporate heavyweight for the rapid economic growth and ‘efficient’ administration offered by his stewardship of Gujarat. Yet, he refuses to apologise for the crimes of the dark months of 2002 and the complicity of his state administration. On the directions of the Supreme Court, his personal role has been investigated — and raises many doubts. His former home minister and senior police officers are in jail for extra-judicial killings. His public speeches are laced with barbs, which taunt and label the Muslim community as regressive, violent and unpatriotic. But these make him not less but more of a hero for millions of his adoring middle-class supporters.

Madhavrao Golwalkar, the second Sarsanghchalak of the RSS from 1940 to 1973, dreamed of an India where religious minorities could live only as second-class citizens. The India of his aspirations can be glimpsed in today’s Gujarat. But the Constitution promised all its citizens a land of equality and fraternity. Its pledges lie in tatters for the Muslim residents of Gujarat, nine years after their massacre stirred the conscience of the people of India. Neither the law of the land nor the legacy of the Mahatma in the land of his birth has secured for the survivors of 2002 justice, security, social dignity and freedom from fear. How many more years will they have to wait?

(Harsh Mander is Director, Centre for Equity Studies)

A dream gone sour
Harsh Mander
March 06, 2011

It’s nine years since many districts across Gujarat were swept by a tornado of hate. Innumerable lives were snuffed out, women and girls brutally raped and killed, and homes and livelihoods..........people of India. Neither the law of the land nor the legacy of the Mahatma in the land of his birth has secured for the survivors of 2002 justice, security, social dignity and freedom from fear. How many more years will they have to wait?

(Harsh Mander is Director, Centre for Equity Studies)

And how does quoting what the Indians do in their own country going to absolve us of the atrocities that we've subjected to our own flesh and blood here in Pakistan ? Or is it another one of that - 'they do it worse than us' kind of a shot, as if we still have some ground to cover in terms of injustices because someone out there has done it worse than us. I am a Kashmiri and I know full well what India does or does not do, but why the f**k would that be of any concern to me when I'm trying to adjust my moral compass ? They are not my teachers, nor are their standards the yardstick by which we measure ourselves - we've got the Prophet for that; do you think he would have approved of what those lawyers in particular and Pakistanis in general do to our Ahmedis ? Umar bin Khattab, someone to whom I look up to, would whip the lot of us, for all the atrocities that we commit in the name of the One God. Whip us till the skin from our backsides can be peeled off, for all the abominable notions of God's beautiful Islam, that we promulgate.

Europe:
By law, banns niqab: Indians here-> meh
By law Banns minarets: Indians -> meh
Neo nati parties trying to ban Quran and Islam outright: Indians -> meh

Pakistan:
a group of citizens decide not to buy from a company based on religion: Indians-> OMG PAKISTANIS ARE SO EVIL AND BARBARIC AND THEY NEED TO LEARN TO BE CIVILIZED AND BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I think that sums up Indians pretty accurately.

Europe:
By law, banns niqab: Indians here-> meh
By law Banns minarets: Indians -> meh
Neo nati parties trying to ban Quran and Islam outright: Indians -> meh

Pakistan:
a group of citizens decide not to buy from a company based on religion: Indians-> OMG PAKISTANIS ARE SO EVIL AND BARBARIC AND THEY NEED TO LEARN TO BE CIVILIZED AND BLAH BLAH BLAH.

I think that sums up Indians pretty accurately.

Forget about them - the Indians. Lets talk about us - do we want our children to think of someone elses child as 'the other' when by every definition of being a Pakistani, they are one of us. How can we, then, condone such a behavior and turn it into another one of India vs Pakistan s**t ?

It is banned just in the canteens of courts.

Their factory is near my house and their products are available in all other places.

My friend, where does the Quran mention the exclusivity of Muslimhood for a Leader in todays world ? Furthermore, if Islamic laws are clear and written in stone, why is it that the penalty of amputation for theft was abrogated whenever exceptional circumstances have arisen (e.g a famine, extenuating circumstances etc.) ? How is it that all the 5 major Schools of Islamic Jurisprudence (Fiqahs) differ from each other on many a core issue ? The world that we find ourselves in today, is much different from the world of our forefathers. The Non-Muslim in our territory is not 'the other', never mind an actual enemy - they are a part of us, an invaluable and cherished part of us. If your apprehension is that a Non-Muslims President may pass a law that is against the fundamentals of the Quran or the Sunnah, than they are unfounded for the Parliament is there and us as being the 97% majority in the country would always have the power to strike down any bill that we deem Un-Islamic, plus our constitutional courts are there to strike down any law which is against Islam (as stipulated in the constitution).
Quran came in the time of HAZRAT MUHAMMAD SAW and it laws will remain valid forever Mr Non Muslim cannot be led by a non Muslim because he is considered Dhimii and pays a special tax call Jizya and thus Muslim provide him security and Sir they live in Muslim society but they are not part of us don't change Islam to please kufr

It is banned just in the canteens of courts.

Their factory is near my house and their products are available in all other places.

This doesn’t change the fact that this was another act of religious bigotry and persecution justifying apartheid and all this by the lawyers. If someone doesn’t want to have a product that is fine but to ban it for others is clearly bigoted and an act of hate which in turn encourages more such hateful acts by others.

---------- Post added at 04:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 AM ----------

Then why did they not ask for Kosher to be banned ?

There is nothing about Shezan that is haram. Its just Pakistani mangoes turned into juice, so clearly religious bigotry and hate at work. You can't justify it no matter how much you try to tie with other examples.

---------- Post added at 04:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 AM ----------

Quran came in the time of HAZRAT MUHAMMAD SAW and it laws will remain valid forever Mr Non Muslim cannot be led by a non Muslim because he is considered Dhimii and pays a special tax call Jizya and thus Muslim provide him security and Sir they live in Muslim society but they are not part of us don't change Islam to please kufr

You charge Ahmadis tax but do you provide them security? Not a bit.

Back
Top Bottom