What's new

An Insight into Al-Khalid II MBT.

leopard_2ng.jpg

leopard_2ng_l4 (1).jpg

leopard_2ng_l3.jpg

A source is saying this upgraded Turkish Leopard Tank is quite similar to those prototypes going under trials in Pakistan.

AK is 48 tons that's hardly a "light" tank... It's in medium category .. Google "light tanks".
The bulk of the PA tank fleet is 36-40 tons. In today's armies most modern western tanks are roughly 55-70 tons. That gives an idea of light when in comparison and not just a class or category. Bigger engine, more armour for protection, more gadgets and sensors, more weapon storage not just makes a tank lethal but also heavier.

The bulk of the PA tank fleet is 36-40 tons. In today's armies most modern western tanks are roughly 55-70 tons. That gives an idea of light when in comparison and not just a class or category. Bigger engine, more armour for protection, more gadgets and sensors, more weapon storage not just makes a tank lethal but also heavier.

So you even know what a light tank is? Light tanks ; PL01,M551,PT etc !

Today AK (48 tons),T-80UD (47+ tons),AZ (42.7 tons) make the spear head of Pak armour ... With older tanks being replaced... With AKIII an another tank (OPLOT,MBT-3000 etc tank tests)...

None of these are "light tanks".. Also weight alone doesn't make a tank lethal otherwise indias arjun wouldn't have been a failure (replaced by T-90S)... Nor does weight automatically mean better weight to power ratio or more firepower!

Since this thread is about AK I-II... Let me educate you....

AK has a power to weight ratio of around 26+:1 ... That's more (for example) than merkava's ratio!

It is also the most heavily armed tank in the world ! Be it its RCS,bi-axil MGs, a 8-9 round per min - rate of fire! Or the ammo capacity of 34+10! And one in the "chamber"..

As for its protection ... Yes it uses more NERA,ERA,Kevlar and a badass armour apart from a nifty VARTA APS !

"Enlighten us about gadgets"!! Tell me about the hunter killer,data link,uav connectivity and an advanced IBMS etc etc !

Also a 55-70 ton tank is also useless in our terrain ... Just like an Abrams can't be used in Indonesia (that's why their fleet is composed of light tanks and a few second hand leos)... Or indias Arjun which can't even be transported on rail or its uselessness (apart from its flaws) in the terrain ...

Abrams also failed in Cholistan ... Apart from tht a "heavy tank" Is useless in our Desert (soil composition) ,it can't be transported on rail .. Nor can our bridges or infrastructure support a heavy tank.... Apart from the vast canal system in Pak that would hinder not enemy but our own tanks.

Al Khalid MBT-II

KARACHI - Pakistan's Al Khalid Tank is widely being considered one of the most competent Main Battle Tanks (MBTs) in the global arms market. The Al Khalid II is said to have a new armor that has been tested to defeat all known 120mm and 125mm rounds.

This special armour is a major technological breakthrough for Pakistan. The tank has received a new transmission and revised electronic turret control.This was stated by Syed Muhammad Ali, the first certified military concept tank designer of Pakistan, while talking to The Nation. He said that the Al Khalid II has a new Integrated Battle Management System (IBMS) and active threat-protection system, the latter being an upgrade from the passive system in the earlier model. The tank is now perhaps one of the most heavily weaponized per tonnage of any tank, being able to carry 49 125mm rounds, 1,500 12.7mm and 7,100 7.62mm rounds.

He said that Al-Khalid is modern battle tank developed by Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT).Al Khalid consists of all the modern technologies required by latest generation tanks. Alkhalid is fitted with Ukranian engine that generated 1200 horse power. It has six forward automatic transmission. Its top speed is 72km/h. It weighs 47 tonnes.Al-Khalid is operated by a three man crew; a driver, a gunner, and a commander.Al-khalid consist of a self loading 125m smooth bore gun. It can also fire HEAT and APFSDS (Armor Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot) rounds. It automatically load, fire and eject the empty case.

Because of self loading gun, the crew number is reduced. The gun is equipped with a stabilizing system which provides accurate shot of the target even if the tank is moving. It also comes with an imaging system which enables the crew members to track down various targets and engage them. It is also equipped with a 7.62mm co-axial machine gun and a 12.5mm anti-aircraft gun mounted above it.In terms of sheer numbers, Forecast International expects Pakistan’s Al Khalid, the Type 98 of the People’s Republic of China, and the Russian Federation’s T-90 (including India’s licensed T-90S production program) to continue to dominate the market.

In the international market for main battle tanks, the days of U.S. and European domination over new production are long gone. Al Khalid is also equipped with night vision devices that enables it for combat at night time. It also has protection for NBC (Nuclear, Biological & chemical) warfare and thus the crew member would be safe incase of NBC fallout.Al-Khalid can also be fitted with Explosives Reactive Armor (ERA). Al-Khalid is currently in service with the Pakistan Army.

Regards::pakistan:

High demand of 'Al-Khalid' tank in modern warfare
Any HD pictures of AK-IIs and AK-IIIs?

So you even know what a light tank is? Light tanks ; PL01,M551,PT etc !
You should first read what i wrote and then reply, that way things will make sense but when u reply without reading, thats wasting my time. i have clearly told you about comparison and not class.

Today AK (48 tons),T-80UD (47+ tons),AZ (42.7 tons) make the spear head of Pak armour ... With older tanks being replaced... With AKIII an another tank (OPLOT,MBT-3000 etc tank tests)...

None of these are "light tanks".. Also weight alone doesn't make a tank lethal otherwise indias arjun wouldn't have been a failure (replaced by T-90S)... Nor does weight automatically mean better weight to power ratio or more firepower!
There again, replied without reading, i had no intention of proving that heavy means more firepower or W/P ratio in my posts. but i will explain more below about survival.

Since this thread is about AK I-II... Let me educate you....
let me educate you too. lesson no. 1, education comes from first reading and then replying

AK has a power to weight ratio of around 26+:1 ... That's more (for example) than merkava's ratio!

It is also the most heavily armed tank in the world ! Be it its RCS,bi-axil MGs, a 8-9 round per min - rate of fire! Or the ammo capacity of 34+10! And one in the "chamber"..

As for its protection ... Yes it uses more NERA,ERA,Kevlar and a badass armour apart from a nifty VARTA APS !

"Enlighten us about gadgets"!! Tell me about the hunter killer,data link,uav connectivity and an advanced IBMS etc etc !
sure i will enlighten you, no worries, but first you have to realize that my point is about weight and not how heavily the tank is armed. again, first read the post and then reply. But this does give me an idea that if anti-heli rounds are used in future but then again maybe AP or HE rounds are sacrificed in number to amke space for a few new type of rounds. Just speculating.

If u put something like a TUSK upgrade on a tank for urban combat use, its weight will increase. Armor upgrades include ERA on the sides of the tank and Slat armor etc. I know AK doesnt use TUSK, but with the tech changing as per battlefield requirements I have seen extra protection on PA Tanks, APC's etc in urban combat environment. Those might be quick improvisations but learning from these experiences, something viable and permamnent can be seen in future . For this reason, the newer versions of AK and new tanks acquired by PA will be heavier than 48 Ton.
Also a 55-70 ton tank is also useless in our terrain ... Just like an Abrams can't be used in Indonesia (that's why their fleet is composed of light tanks and a few second hand leos)... Or indias Arjun which can't even be transported on rail or its uselessness (apart from its flaws) in the terrain ...

Abrams also failed in Cholistan ... Apart from tht a "heavy tank" Is useless in our Desert (soil composition) ,it can't be transported on rail .. Nor can our bridges or infrastructure support a heavy tank.... Apart from the vast canal system in Pak that would hinder not enemy but our own tanks.

MBT 3000/ Al haider is 52 Tons and this weight will increase with battlefield requirements. so you see, 40 tones then 48 tons and climbing to 52 Tons, so 55 Tons is not far my friend.

Type 99 started from 52 tons and the newest version is around 54 Tons now. Must be more gagdets, armour etc

Other western tanks in 54 Ton class:
Leclerc is roughly 55-57 tons. used by UAE and french forces.
Italian Ariete is 54 Tons.
Newest is K2 BP South Korean tank 54 Tons.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom