What's new

American-born Eileen Gu wins Olympic gold medal for China

I remember when top Chinese athletes played for other countries back in 1990-2000, Chinese felt betrayed. But now Chinese see those China born and trained athletes play for other countries, which are many, they think this is just personal choice. That's showed confidence of Chinese now. In the other hand, USA used giving no shit about USA born and trained athletes playing for other countries. But now they make Gu a big issue. Because They felt they are losing to China in many fields from economy to military. That's all.

I remember when top Chinese athletes played for other countries back in 1990-2000, Chinese felt betrayed.

Chinese back then might have some justification to feel the sense of betrayal, as those Chinese athletes were trained by the government with tax they paid. Americans' outrage against Eileen Gu puzzles me though.

Not just greed. But it reeks of being completely disconnected from the society/surroundings you inhabit and having a complete inability to read the room. The fact that they think Eileen will come back and go to Stanford and everything will be fine and dandy is complete and utter delusion.

No one is stopping her from making her choices. But people are allowed to feel a certain way. The fact is the mom has a complete inability to read the room and this is because she is completely disconnected from American society. Her interactions with Americans are probably limited to talking to and paying contractors/vendors to do repairs for her on her properties or to instructors who are training Eileen in whatever class she is enrolled in.
I believe her interaction with Americans is less than interact with contractors. As contractors in Chinese neighborhoods are Chinese who do not speak little to zero English. And they would demand cash for their work. it’s more likely that she even had to speak Spanish while dealing with contractors.

So mom Gu never had interactions with main stream white Americans for a while. The last interaction could be as far back as 9 months before Eileen was born.

Chinese back then might have some justification to feel the sense of betrayal, as those Chinese athletes were trained by the government with tax they paid. Americans' outrage against Eileen Gu puzzles me though.
Exactly. Gu's parents paid for her training in the beginning. After she joined Chinese national team she also can enjoy free training paid by Chinese government.

Really interesting to see the pettiness coming from the US side regarding her decision.

These media articles are funny.

Not just greed. But it reeks of being completely disconnected from the society/surroundings you inhabit and having a complete inability to read the room. The fact that they think Eileen will come back and go to Stanford and everything will be fine and dandy is complete and utter delusion.

No one is stopping her from making her choices. But people are allowed to feel a certain way. The fact is the mom has a complete inability to read the room and this is because she is completely disconnected from American society. Her interactions with Americans are probably limited to talking to and paying contractors/vendors to do repairs for her on her properties or to instructors who are training Eileen in whatever class she is enrolled in.

1, According to China's nationality law, Chinese children born abroad can have two passports before the age of 18, but they must give up one after the age of 18. In other words, adult Chinese are not allowed to have dual nationality, and overseas Chinese under the age of 18 can not make a choice for the time being.

2, Gu Ailing's mother and father are high-end elites. Her mother works on Wall Street with a high income and a broad social circle, her mother is definitely not what you call a closed Chinese woman. Gu Ailing has always received top education, Gu Ailing has studied equestrian, skiing, golf, tennis, fencing and so on.

3, I admit that her mother has long made arrangements for Gu Ailing's country. According to China's entry records, Gu Ailing has lived in Beijing for nearly 100 days every summer since she was 5 years old. She has a huge social circle in Beijing, and she can speak fluent Beijing dialect. Before she gave up her U.S. citizenship at the age of 16 (U.S. law does not allow children under the age of 15 to give up their U.S. citizenship), she had lived in her residence in Beijing for 11 years. Gu Ailing's mother even let Gu ailing receive primary education in China, which makes her have Chinese people learning habits. Of course, she also has a long time to train and study in USA every year.

4, I admit that I underestimated the anger of Americans over this matter, but Gu ailing doesn't have only one choice. She can still go to European universities for study and training, and Beijing is not a suitable place for winter sports.

Gu Ailing's mother has a high income. Gu Ailing has a rich family. She likes a variety of sports, not just skiing.

IMG_20220209_073559.jpg

IMG_20220209_073607.jpg

IMG_20220209_073615.jpg

IMG_20220209_073628.jpg

Last edited:
I believe her interaction with Americans is less than interact with contractors. As contractors in Chinese neighborhoods are Chinese who do not speak little to zero English. And they would demand cash for their work. it’s more likely that she even had to speak Spanish while dealing with contractors.

So mom Gu never had interactions with main stream white Americans for a while. The last interaction could be as far back as 9 months before Eileen was born.
Gu Ailing's mother works on Wall Street, not Chinese street.
She graduated from Peking University. Peking University ranks in the top two in China and the top 20 in the world.

We are certainly talking about state sanction acts, not the acts by some folks who have this theory holding Chinese folks responsible for Covid-19 outbreak causing a hire rate of mortality among the minority population in the U.S.

Nope.

These actions are the direct result of anti-Asian rhetoric by American regime officials and their propaganda mouthpieces.

Nope.

These actions are the direct result of anti-Asian rhetoric by American regime officials and their propaganda mouthpieces.

African-American folks do not pay attention to Fox news, any right wing news, and for that matter what Trump had to say about the origin of Covid-19. Some of the African-American folks are upset as their community has higher Covid-19 mortality rate.

African-American folks do not pay attention to Fox news, any right wing news, and for that matter what Trump had to say about the origin of Covid-19. Some of the African-American folks are upset as their community has higher Covid-19 mortality rate.

Ah yes, it’s the fault of those black guys :lol:

This is a typical white supremacist talking point. MAGA losers use this all the time.

Last edited:
Ah yes, it’s the fault of those black guys :lol:

This is a typical white supremacist talking point. MAGA losers use this all the time.

Actually most of the perpetrators are minority. There is nothing MAGA about that !
I am not a white person comrade !

I am happy for her, hope things work out for her as she wants to !!

Last edited:
IMO her mom strongly drove her decision to represent China and she did this without a significant consideration of the consequences of them continuing their lives in America. The reason why this decision seems so oblivious is because the mom, like many middle aged mainland immigrants, live in a bubble and are not integrated at all with American culture or society so she is tone deaf and out of touch with the pulse of the current streams in American society. If she thought that Eileen can represent China and win gold and return back to the US and continue her education in Stanford and not be seen with hostility in this climate, she is nuts.

IMO, if she wanted to represent China, she should've dove all in. That means completely switching to a Chinese citizenship, enroll in Tsinghua or Peking University instead of Stanford, live/work 24/7 in China. None of this eating from two plates bullshit that the mom has managed to do all her life.
It reeks of greed. No doubt about it.....
She will soon become a billionaire. Why she needs a Stanford degree anyways?

Back
Top Bottom