What's new

America and China: Another Big Powers Understanding in the Making?

This is per NY Times. They often have some inside info but in this they are saying details not known. However, I think, the tone remains conciliatory and this was an American initiative after several lower-level engagements with China.
90 minutes is a long time for just 'why cant we all get along' chat. Some broad understandings MUST have happened. A sort of stepping back by at least America.

I have always thought of Biden as a seat warmer for VP Harris. To me, Biden is already a 'lame duck President'.

Okay, some more searches about the Biden-Xi phone done. None say what this Imran Riaz Khan says about splitting up the mega Eurasian development projects between the two powers.
BUT... what can't be missed is that the tone of the United States toward China is conciliatory. Not good news for India. Indians have been banking on enhanced alliance with America now that Americans have left Afghanistan. Indian strategists have been saying in last some days that now India is the sole foothold for America in the region.
The fury, the betrayal, the let down that the Vedic empire feels at the US departure from Afghanistan can't be described in mere words. They feel humiliated, they feel entitled to US protection against china and Pakistan. They are not used to fighting fair. They only want to fight when the hands and feets of their enemies are tightly tied. The prospects of talibs wandering near them is greatly upsetting them. The ferocity of the talibs to do it raw and dry to their enemies is giving nightmares to the fascist hindutvas.

The Americans will not ditch the Indians it’s a security deposit in the region, not really a counter weight per say but more of a staging ground if things get out of hand. India’s use is more of an applier of pressure to Chinas western region.

India can't be counted upon to tame Pakistan , what to speak of China. Indian value lies in Indian purchasing power.

India is being hemmed in, has been hemmed in now with the Taliban taken over. India can enjoy the other over populated, poor, resource starved South Asian and South East Asian countries. And the 'Quad' is will be like the OIC: Good for only Chai-Biscoot!
The fury, the betrayal, the let down that the Vedic empire feels at the US departure from Afghanistan can't be described in mere words. They feel humiliated, they feel entitled to US protection against china and Pakistan.

Absolutely true if we look at the anger against America in Indian media!

India can't be counted upon to tame Pakistan , what to speak of China. Indian value lies in Indian purchasing power.

India is being hemmed in, has been hemmed in now with the Taliban taken over. India can enjoy the other over populated, poor, resource starved South Asian and South East Asian countries. And the 'Quad' is will be like the OIC: Good for only Chai-Biscoot!

Absolutely true if we look at the anger against America in Indian media!

China forces US to get serious about decoupling (msn.com)

This good article connects to what you were saying previously. Seems the Chinese are more serious about the decoupling than the Americans.

China forces US to get serious about decoupling (msn.com)

This good article connects to what you were saying previously. Seems the Chinese are more serious about the decoupling than the Americans.

Good find. Well worth reading.
But really, no one, at least in this forum could claim to know the American policy toward China in the coming years. But THAT policy will determine a lot, as far as Pakistan and its region is concerned.

Good find. Well worth reading.
But really, no one, at least in this forum could claim to know the American policy toward China in the coming years. But THAT policy will determine a lot, as far as Pakistan and its region is concerned.

It all depends on whether China continues to see benefit in being a part of the global system that has been the foundation of its economic success, or whether it chooses an independent or even adversarial path.

It all depends on whether China continues to see benefit in being a part of the global system that has been the foundation of its economic success, or whether it chooses an independent or even adversarial path.

Fareed Zakaria--not a neo-con per my understanding, wrote a few months ago that China had taken ill-advised harsh policies WRT to India, Taiwan, Australia, and SCS. I am not sure I agree with that or not but it is there.

Fareed Zakaria--not a neo-con per my understanding, wrote a few months ago that China had taken ill-advised harsh policies WRT to India, Taiwan, Australia, and SCS. I am not sure I agree with that or not but it is there.

China will do what it feels serves its national interests as best as possible. USA will do the same. I see no issues with what Zakaria has said above, except that China's policies cannot be described as "ill-advised" any more or less than what USA will do with its policies.

China will do what it feels serves its national interests as best as possible. USA will do the same. I see no issues with what Zakaria has said above, except that China's policies cannot be described as "ill-advised" any more or less than what USA will do with its policies.

Of course.
And I was only paraphrasing Fareed that China took unnecessarily belligerent stands against several countries at a time when China was enjoying good trade benefits; he specifically mentioned Australia as one country where China's stance cost China tens of billions of dollars.

Of course.
And I was only paraphrasing Fareed that China took unnecessarily belligerent stands against several countries at a time when China was enjoying good trade benefits; he specifically mentioned Australia as one country where China's stance cost China tens of billions of dollars.

Any one making such comments does not realize that the Chinese mindset usually thinks in far longer time horizons that typical Western thinking. Tens of billions of dollars is nothing for China to keep its longer term goals in mind.

Of course.

Fareed, is wrong in his assessment in regards to China. Chinese are long term thinkers and they will wait patiently and aren't known for making abrupt moves like the West. The Trade War has cost Australia more than the Chinese, as the Aussie's are raw material exporters (which the Chinese can readily get access to else-where). That's why the Australians were rushing to straighten things out and the Chinese didn't blink an eye and gave much heed to them.

Any one making such comments does not realize that the Chinese mindset usually thinks in far longer time horizons that typical Western thinking. Tens of billions of dollars is nothing for China to keep its longer term goals in mind.
Fareed, is wrong in his assessment in regards to China. Chinese are long term thinkers and they will wait patiently and aren't known for making abrupt moves like the West. The Trade War has cost Australia more than the Chinese, as the Aussie's are raw material exporters (which the Chinese can readily get access to else-where). That's why the Australians were rushing to straighten things out and the Chinese didn't blink an eye and gave much heed to them.

You two are on the same page!

Einstein said something like 'Let me read the mind of God. The rest will be just details!'
The rivalry and/or cooperation between America and China will define the years to come, just like the Cold War defined decades after WW 2.

Einstein said something like 'Let me read the mind of God. The rest will be just details!'
The rivalry and/or cooperation between America and China will define the years to come, just like the Cold War defined decades after WW 2.

As long as they remain each others' largest trading partners, there is good hope.

Back
Top Bottom