What's new

Aman Ka Tamasha

Moreover, Pakistan must (should) have realised during this crisis how much they lack both in competitiveness and capability to compete on a global scale. Indian will annihilate them in the manufacturing sector. They need to be thinking about how to increase their own exports and make them more value added rather than let India come and take over. In short, a near impossibility.

Please read my earlier reply on this thread.

I doubt there will be a huge reset (by having India on a more "neutral" footing of protectionism level Pakistan has with rest of world) within the 80 billion (merchandise) import total Pakistan does at current setting.

One can look at the OEC breakup:

and compare it with say what India exports to BD compared to what China exports (amounts and component split)....given BD has higher GDP than Pakistan now, has better macroeconomic indicators (certainly in foreign exim) and has relatively same protectionism levels for India and China.

It will be obvious to quickly see there wont be huge changes at all (India simply isnt that competitive a manufacturer in the world at large that Pakistan imports from mostly)....and what changes there are will benefit Pakistan (saving costs or consuming more like I mentioned earlier) to be able to provide one small conduit to becoming an exporter (by some small easing of overall external financial pressure this brings about) long term by the topic of investment reform.

You can look at the merchandise breakup for India's exports to the world to begin with actually (to markets far richer and having far less protectionism to India).

i.e India is decidedly not a "manufacturing annihilator" next to China (that Pakistan is already importing most of its non-energy from in addition to other countries) and there will not be some huge shift past what logistics cost savings India can pass on to Pakistan on some goods (probably will be agriculture goods, perishable goods, intermediates and similar things).

Its China thats annihilating most developing countries in manufacturing right now (in especially the largest value added products in highest demand in world today).... given the huge amounts of investment over large amounts of time underlying it all (and now slowly wearing away by labour costs, demographics and western concerns about supply chains etc).

There is no scope at all about "India coming over to take over" Pakistan's current import composition + level (especially given the extra brittle inelasticity this now endures by trickling atrophied investment flows, internal or external) ... much less investment composition and level. Not at this juncture and very unlikely this decade while India is lagging China (and still others) this much.

Purchasing power of Pakistanis would be unleashed on the tourism industry in India and vice versa.

It was perhaps a cheeky way of saying the common man here is quite inquisitive about the other and not completely fettered to the politicals machinations. Given the opportunity, tourism from travellers within the subcontinent would be a vital component of national health for all the countriee in the region.

Why go to Switzerland when every biome one could concieve of is present in our subcontinent.

Given politicians are such scoundrels and scallywags.... I have found regular people go out of their way to make things hospitable for a desi from another country in region....in a way to maybe balance things out.

Most average joe people are extremely curious and helpful to guests from neighbours....given relative rarity from the consequences of the political circumstances. Rarity is seen as treasured opportunity for many regular people.

I think @fatman17 spoke to this recently.

I remember "newbie" also posted this in thread somewhere long ago to differentiate from regular joe India compared to toxic Indian (when someone was trying to lump it all together and newbie wasnt having it...as he had been to Bombay iirc and was treated very well and helped a lot by a perfect stranger there when some problem arose in that travel I forgot the details).

Looks like he is perma-banned and scrubbed away altogether now for some reason....too bad. He was very entertaining fellow to read regd his battles with DHA (he was farmer near some city iirc) and waah Modigee waaah-isms (if he is reading this, so he knows he is remembered fondly by some)

Most average joe people
HOI!

regular joe India
I AM JAMES SHEARER FROM THIS POINT ONWARDS.
1683580315003.png

India excused herself from all possible Kashmir resolutions by her unilateral actions in 2019.

Kashmir is now a bilateral issue between China and Pakistan.
Lol.... And 65 was what?

A resistance war against India
I genuinely get confused between intellectual dishonesty and just a lack of education here. Cry about UNSC and 370) all the while suffering selective amnesia with your own transgressions.

I genuinely get confused between intellectual dishonesty and just a lack of education here. Cry about UNSC and 370) all the while suffering selective amnesia with your own transgressions.
My diagnosis is plain stupidity. The posts available are so crass, so brain-numbing, they have to be read as clinical symptoms.

Why should others pay for your confusion?

What people don't 'get' is that visitors to India are generally treated with the greatest cordiality. Look at how Shoaib Akhtar is treated in Calcutta, for example. Or ask Kaisar Tufail, who travelled to India with his wife. Any Pakistani coming into India will do. There was that Pakistani young woman who came to Kerala because her husband is a Malayali. It's on YouTube, too.
Joe, you have to realise that people like Shoaib Akhtar or Adnan Sami are not viewed as representative of an average Pakistani for most Indians, as they are "unlike" the "others". There will be a fine line between an everyday civilian and someone belonging to the elite class of Pakistan visiting India. I have known quite a few Pakistanis who visited India (before 2008) and lets just say they had some interesting stories to tell, you will very likely never hear of Indians facing animosity in Pakistan even if they visited the deepest depths of the KP or rural Punjab regions (despite there being hatred on our side as well.)

Last edited:
Joe, you have to realise that people like Shoaib Akhtar or Adnan Sami are not viewed as representative of an average Pakistani for most Indians, as they are unlike the "others". There will be a fine line between an everyday civilian and someone belonging to the elite class of Pakistan visiting India. I have known quite a few Pakistanis who visited India (before 2008) and lets just say they had some interesting stories to tell, you will very likely never hear of Indians facing animosity in Pakistan even if they visited the deepest depths of the KP or rural Punjab regions.
I have never heard of Indians facing animosity in Pakistan.
However, I have also not heard of ordinary "everyday civilians" visiting India who have been ill treated and am very unhappy to learn that things happened to people you know.

Do share their stories if you feel up to it.

However, I have also not heard of ordinary "everyday civilians" visiting India who have been ill treated and am very unhappy to learn that things happened to people you know.
Honestly man, animosity is fully expected considering the hatred that has bred between our both countries as a result of consistent ultra nationalist/religious propaganda brainwashing the masses from a young age. The hospitality an Indian receives in Pakistan is more of a tradition for us regardless of who the guest might be rather than love for Indians, doesn't mean we like them.
Do share their stories if you feel up to it.
It ranges from the treatment you are meted out by immigration officials to being crassly refused service by everyday drivers or hoteliers because you come from Pakistan. Knew of this one guy (resided in India as his father was a diplomat) who went shopping in Delhi (pre 2008) and when he told the shopkeeper that he came from Pakistan, the lunatic pulled a pistol out and "politely" told him to leave his shop premises. This is likely the tip of the iceberg regarding such stories of Pakistanis visiting India, and it is unfortunately fully expected for someone coming from a dreaded enemy country. This is not to say that there are many stories of Pakistanis who had great experiences in India, but I fear that the negative ones are the majority which make up the soft underbelly.

Back
Top Bottom