What's new

Alleged Indian Mujahideen terrorist deported, arrested from UAE

Then I guess you would like Confucius more than Lao Tzu. :D Interestingly, they both lived around the same time, around 2500 years ago.

Confucius always focused on the here and now, and focused on this life rather than the next.

Yes; I'd say that too. Though in my interactions with young Chinese people; I got the feeling that he is pretty much a stranger to them.
Probably a consequence of "the great leap forward" and all its after-effects.

Yes; I'd say that too. Though in my interactions with young Chinese people; I got the feeling that he is pretty much a stranger to them.
Probably a consequence of "the great leap forward" and all its after-effects.

I guess you met overseas Chinese people in Canada who didn't get a Chinese education.

Because every Chinese person I know can quote Confucius. Even without knowing it is Confucius who first said it.

What you're talking about is the Cultural Revolution (not the GLF), in which old Chinese culture was persecuted by the Red Guards. However the policy has changed since the Deng Xiaoping era, and the Cultural revolution has been universally condemned even by the Chinese government itself.

Now the Chinese Government itself is building monuments to Confucius and Buddha, you can check it yourself. Times are changing, and nowadays the Government wants to portray itself as the defender of Chinese culture and history.

I guess you met overseas Chinese people in Canada who didn't get a Chinese education.

Because every Chinese person I know can quote Confucius. Even without knowing it is Confucius who first said it.

What you're talking about is the Cultural Revolution (not the GLF), in which old Chinese culture was persecuted by the Red Guards. However the policy has changed since the Deng Xiaoping era, and the Cultural revolution has been universally condemned even by the Chinese government itself.

Now the Chinese Government itself is building monuments to Confucius and Buddha, you can check it yourself. Times are changing, and nowadays the Government wants to portray itself as the defender of Chinese culture and history

About the underlined part- agreed I also meant the Cultural Revolution led by the Red Guard, who destroyed a great deal of Cultural Material not the GLF.
About my earlier statement; I did not mean only Chinese in Canada (who I've found to be more from HK) but young Chinese in Urban China. How do you say Confucius in Chinese (Roman script)?

I hope the Politicians don't turn it into a campaign issue for media diahreaa to let this scumbag's trial go on for years. Quick and swift justice shall be served away from the gaze of media. They almost turned kasab into a home guest for crying out loud.

I hope the Politicians don't turn it into a campaign issue for media diahreaa to let this scumbag's trial go on for years. Quick and swift justice shall be served away from the gaze of media. They almost turned kasab into a home guest for crying out loud.

There is no rush for any trial. First he needs to be pumped out of all information. That matters more. All the aspects of 'behind the scenes operations' need to be unravelled most of all.

There is no rush for any trial. First he needs to be pumped out of all information. That matters more. All the aspects of 'behind the scenes operations' need to be unravelled most of all.

We all know how slow indian legal system is.. Typically takes 5-7 years for a regular case to get its first date.. ;)

About the underlined part- agreed I also meant the Cultural Revolution led by the Red Guard, who destroyed a great deal of Cultural Material not the GLF.
About my earlier statement; I did not mean only Chinese in Canada (who I've found to be more from HK) but young Chinese in Urban China. How do you say Confucius in Chinese (Roman script)?

Confucius is pronounced as "Kong Fu Zi".

(Though he is more commonly called by the shortened form "Kong Zi".)

I have no idea why they Romanized it into "Confucius" lol.

Confucius is pronounced as "Kong Fu Zi".

(Though he is more commonly called by the shortened form "Kong Zi".)

I have no idea why they Romanized it into "Confucius" lol.

Thanks for that. The reason why I asked was that I heard some speak about Kong Tzu along with Lao Tzu. Which confused me.
Confucius is familiar only to anglophile Chinese. So sometimes I wondered if we were speaking of the same person.

Thanks for that. The reason why I asked was that I heard some speak about Kong Tzu along with Lao Tzu. Which confused me.
Confucius is familiar only to anglophile Chinese. So sometimes I wondered if we were speaking of the same person.

Yep, Kong Zi is how we normally refer to Confucius.

I guess there is no sound in English for "Zi", which is why it is Romanized as "Tzu".

It sounds a bit like "Zzzz". Tzu is close enough I guess.

So Sun Tzu is actually Sun Zi.

ME is a very sensitive area for us because most of the recruitment happens there. Indians are easily accessible there often in religious settings and easy to influence.

This is great news and points to a definite pendulum swing in India's favor. The ME is slowly but surely aligning itself with India (to an extent).

Sucks to be Pakistan these days........

Back
Top Bottom