What's new

Alleged anti-north India remark by Chidambaram draws flak

I dont want to get too much into this but I am an Indophile and do like to do research on India. My take on it is the evidence speaks for itself. India's North and East suffer from over population, feudal political structure, unstable governments, lethargic tax revenues, more emphasis on religion and caste, exploitation of resources, a higher percent of tribal population, low urbanization, low physical and virtual connectivity, lack of complete industries such as movies and stock exchanges, female-male imbalance, high infant mortality, low literacy compared to the South and West. It is not one or two reasons but at least 2 dozen that have set the North and East back. They will continue to fall behind in the near term as more investment goes to more stable areas. One solution is to have most of the northern and eastern states under federal rule for a sustained time until things get better.

I dont want to get too much into this but I am an Indophile and do like to do research on India. My take on it is the evidence speaks for itself. India's North and East suffer from over population, feudal political structure, unstable governments, lethargic tax revenues, more emphasis on religion and caste, exploitation of resources, a higher percent of tribal population, low urbanization, low physical and virtual connectivity, lack of complete industries such as movies and stock exchanges, female-male imbalance, high infant mortality, low literacy compared to the South and West. It is not one or two reasons but at least 2 dozen that have set the North and East back. They will continue to fall behind in the near term as more investment goes to more stable areas. One solution is to have most of the northern and eastern states under federal rule for a sustained time until things get better.

That is a pretty accurate analysis though controversial. Caste system is all but abolished in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. In TN, you wouldn't find a single person adding caste to their names. It is considered offensive to do so. This is because of the movement against feudalism, caste system and superstitious beliefs which started even before our independence. I wish such movements happened in the rest of the country so that the historically oppressed people get empowered and the society becomes more equal.

Almost accurate analysis i must say .. Regarding development- A state can be turned around in flat 15 years in India. We saw that in Gujrat and god willingly we will see the same in Bihar ... Although we cant expect them to as developed as TN or, Karnataka..

Now thats a borderline racial statement,u r painting this allegation on the entire South India's based on the remarks of 1 man that to which he conveyed privately,I am also a South India living in north of almost entire of my life,and I can also claim that the Typical north Indian mentality is anti south.

Racist?? How come that's Racist. Isn't this the second time when Chidambaram has made such a statement, the first time being saying crimes in Delhi are because of migrants from UP and Bihar (he himself being a migrant and fact being crimes committed in Delhi by migrants are less than 2%)

Now let's not fool ourself, time and again he is proving that he is a anti-Northee South Indian (as you mentioned the vice versa may be very much true) but this fellow here is suppose to be the Home Minister of 'India'

Racist?? How come that's Racist. Isn't this the second time when Chidambaram has made such a statement, the first time being saying crimes in Delhi are because of migrants from UP and Bihar (he himself being a migrant and fact being crimes committed in Delhi by migrants are less than 2%)

Now let's not fool ourself, time and again he is proving that he is a anti-Northee South Indian (as you mentioned the vice versa may be very much true) but this fellow here is suppose to be the Home Minister of 'India'

I think if the minister is quoting a verifiable fact, you must accept that criticism and work toward bettering the conditions. Playing blame games helps no one. One question to ask is : what gain would the minister have in making these statements? He probably is thinking about federal tax revenues and using that money for more development. If that's the case, disproportionate contribution by the South and the West toward the almost welfare-like North and East does put pressure on the federal system. If you want to be part of a federal system, you need to be more careful about your rights and responsibilities and be ready for a give and take system. Individualism can only go so far in a federal system. Evidence proves this. In federations such as the US, Brazil and the EU, there is a lot of give and take and there is a lot of accountability as well. Anything less and the federations will break apart. Just imagine if your South and West start questioning the benefits of being in a federal system where their industry and labor is contributing the most but getting very little in return. The time is for solid statistical analysis and data driven decision making. Emotions and one-upmanship come a distant second in a federal system. At least that's our experience here in my own country.

As soon as all the naxals are thrown out and North east gets stable,then FDI will flow in and industries will come up and it will also start to grow..
Everything is in the hands of Congo's pussies
They need to take more stricter action against the naxals..
Next election,Congo's should be thrown out of Centre....

Still iam trying to figure out how he won LS seat in last half hour in Counting

Cash for vote. His son is involved in this.

Its strange how people here taking chidu's words seriously!!!! :whistle:

Bihar is the second fastest growing economy in India after Gujarat. But I must say that they need to increase their social reputation. I am not impressed with their behaviors.

Some of the finest brains (Professors) in IISC (Indian Institute of Science) Bangalore are Biharis. Some of the best industralists in India are bengalis. Some of the best brains in TCS, Infosys, Wipro etc are Bengalis. Its a real challenge to compete with them but some how these states are backward when compared to rest. Maybe in a decades time, we would have all the states at par in terms of development.

Cash for vote. His son is involved in this.

Its strange how people here taking chidu's words seriously!!!! :whistle:

Bihar is the second fastest growing economy in India after Gujarat. But I must say that they need to increase their social reputation. I am not impressed with their behaviors.

Hello Sir jee...Itni openly to Beijjati Na karo hamari...
Lalu has done wonders for us in this area also.. But all of us are not Lalu...

too much divide within your country...who will get to keep the nukes once u disintegrate??north,south or China?:lol:

It will be divided proportionally and delivered in Pakistan & China before its disintegration

Some of the finest brains (Professors) in IISC (Indian Institute of Science) Bangalore are Biharis. Some of the best industralists in India are bengalis. Some of the best brains in TCS, Infosys, Wipro etc are Bengalis. Its a real challenge to compete with them but some how these states are backward when compared to rest. Maybe in a decades time, we would have all the states at par in terms of development.

These states are backward because of the rigid social structure and systematic oppression of certain sections of the society. That is the reason for naxalism too.

If I may point out, this is not a relevant argument. Statistically speaking, the null hypothesis is the Northern And Eastern states are developing at the same rate as the Southern and Western states. Alternate hypothesis is they are not. Data exists at a significant statistical level of significance to show that the null hypothesis has to be rejected in favor of the alternate hypothesis. Now that the trend is statistically proven, it is important to accept that and work toward better development rather than pointing out data that wont affect the null hypothesis.

West Bengal economy has stagnated because of left rule for 30 years, but it isn't much far behind and recovering fast. According to sources below, Kolkata is 3rd in terms of gdp after Mumbai and Delhi and WB is 6th.

State Domestic Product of India | State-Wise GDP 2010 | District GDP of India | State-wise Population | VMW Analytic Services

GDP: The top 10 cities in India - Rediff.com Business

I think if the minister is quoting a verifiable fact, you must accept that criticism and work toward bettering the conditions. Playing blame games helps no one. One question to ask is : what gain would the minister have in making these statements? He probably is thinking about federal tax revenues and using that money for more development. If that's the case, disproportionate contribution by the South and the West toward the almost welfare-like North and East does put pressure on the federal system. If you want to be part of a federal system, you need to be more careful about your rights and responsibilities and be ready for a give and take system. Individualism can only go so far in a federal system. Evidence proves this. In federations such as the US, Brazil and the EU, there is a lot of give and take and there is a lot of accountability as well. Anything less and the federations will break apart. Just imagine if your South and West start questioning the benefits of being in a federal system where their industry and labor is contributing the most but getting very little in return. The time is for solid statistical analysis and data driven decision making. Emotions and one-upmanship come a distant second in a federal system. At least that's our experience here in my own country.

Dude I am not shying away from the fact that South is more developed that the North or South pays more taxes or the North needs to develop faster, work harder etc etc. I'm taking about the mentality of the 'Home Minister of India'. Isn't Orissa or West Bengal also the so called BIMARU states then how come the Home minister finds all the ills in North India (I guess by North India he meant UP and Bihar) time and again

Back
Top Bottom