What's new

Allama Iqbal about Turkic Kayi Tribe of - Founders of Ottoman Empire.

I don't watch a lot of dramas, or even TV in general. Dirilis Ertugrul has been a rare exception. But to suggest that Turkish cinema has been nearly as harmful and defamatory to Islam as Hollywood is just ridiculous. That said, if you don't want to watch Turkish dramas and instead would rather stick with American movies, well, no one's putting a gun to your head. I assume you're a grown azz man. Do as you wish.
You forgot to say "regards", funny losers... lol

As there is a lot of buzz these days about the TRT Resurrection - Ertugrul which is being on air at PTV as well. No doubt its a season of century for me. Great effort to restore confidence of Muslims all around the world in themselves.

I just want to add some bit of additional knowledge about Kayi Tribe of Turkic Origin lead by Suleman Shah and then Ertugrul Ghazi. This tribe led the foundation of 600 year long era of Ottoman Empire and see what Hazrat Allama Mohammad Iqbal said this tribe.

Koi Qabil Ho Tau Hum Shan-e-Kayi Dete Hain
Dhoondne Walon Ko Dunya Bhi Nai Dete Hain!

RODIW3t.png

Source: http://www.iqbal.com.pk/component/content/article/7-poetical-works/kuliyat-e-iqbal-urdu/bang-e-dra/baang-e-dara-part3/229-jawab-e-shikwa

@Hakikat ve Hikmet

Hazrat a Iqbal's praise for the Kayi tribe in Jawab a Shikwah

Where supposedly Allah says to the muslms---

If you are capable WE give them the greatness and grandeur of the Kayi
( meaning the Kayi tribe )
For the one searching We will give them a new world.

God almighty---I read that many a times and it never registered what was KAYI---even though someone explained it decades decades ago---but I forgot---.

May Allah's blessing be on Ertugrul Bey's soul---what a grand warrior thinker and strategist that he was---.

And Allah may bless Engin Altan for doing justice with the character of Urtugrul and showing the light to the current generation---.

Last edited:
You're right. I was watching Ozark and just in the first episode, the main FBI guy says the most racist nonsense. "If Mafia, Muslims weren't extorting, killing people, flying planes into buildings, they would be cleaning toilets"

That's the message. Muslims either fly planes to buildings like terrorists or they are backward toilet cleaners.

Messages like these are all over in Western shows.

This is why a lot of people are angry with Ertugrul because it glorifies Muslims, something that doesn't happen on TV.
That's spot on. Hollywood is full of shit with such messages. Sometimes it's obvious like it's the case in Ozark, and then sometimes it's subtle and/or subliminal and harder to spot. The point is that Hollywood constantly pumps out bigoted and xenophobic anti-Islam rhetoric.

Opening up to things that are beneficial and progressive is one thing, readily accepting anything and everything pumped out by the Hollywood is entirely another. One's wanting to preserve his culture is no gimmick. It's how you preserve the language of your forefathers, protect your culture, values and consequently even land/resources. I'm sorry, but I've seen a hundred anti-Muslim movies too many to trust that the Hollywood has my best interests at heart.

That's for the population to decide what they think is okay and what is not. If you think they're too dumb, then your priority should be education, not censorship.

And like I said, culture includes many things; both bad and good. Do you want us Muslims of Pakistan to revert to Hinduism because very, very late forefathers used to be of that culture?

@Hakikat ve Hikmet

Hazrat a Iqbal's praise for the Kayi tribe in Jawab a Shikwah

Where supposedly Allah says to the muslms---

If you are capable WE give them the greatness and grandeur of the Kayi
( meaning the Kayi tribe )
For the one searching We will give them a new world.

God almighty---I read that many a times and it never registered what was KAYI---even though someone explained it decades decades ago---but I forgot---.
Yes, there's something extraordinary about that tribe. Hazret-i Mevlana Rumi (RA) also gave a good tiding to Ataman Bey, while he was a teenager, that a Muslim Empire consisting of 36 just rulers, who would do great services for the Islamic world, would emerge from his family. Ataman Bey was later named Osman by his spiritual guide and father-in-law Sheyh EdebAli (RA). And, Sheyh EdebAli handed over a sword belonging to Hazret-i Osman (RA), the 3rd Halife, to Osman Gazi. Please note that Hazret-i Osman (RA) was most famous for his sense of Edep and Haya. The Osmanli Empire had two distinct qualities: their love for Jihat, and their extreme sensitivity and care toward preserving and practicing Edep/Haya...

Sheyh EdebAli had the following advice to Osman Gazi, and they followed it to a great extent:

O my son!
Now you are king!

From now on, wrath is for us;
for you, calmness!

For us to be offended;
for you to please!

For us to accuse;
for you to endure!

For us, helplessness and error;
for you, tolerance!

For us, quarrel;
for you, justice!

For us, envy, rumor, slander;
for you, forgiveness!

O my son!

From now on, it is for us to divide;
for you to unite!

For us, sloth;
for you, warning and encouragement!

O my son!

Be patient, a flower does not bloom before its time.
Never forget: Let man flourish, and the state will also flourish!

O my son!

Your burden is heavy, your task hard, your power hangs on a hair!
May God be your helper!

That's for the population to decide what they think is okay and what is not. If you think they're too dumb, then your priority should be education, not censorship.

And like I said, culture includes many things; both bad and good. Do you want us Muslims of Pakistan to revert to Hinduism because very, very late forefathers used to be of that culture?

Arab forefathers were also non Muslims, pagan idol worshippers. I believe the brother is talking about preserving the culture and values which are pro Islamic.

Arab forefathers were also non Muslims, pagan idol worshippers. I believe the brother is talking about preserving the culture and values which are pro Islamic.

Yes, I know. But that is hypocritical, how about we keep an open mind and keep ourselves on a place of high footing; that we're not following something because it's our culture, and we want to preserve it, but because we find good in it, and that requires an open mindset.

While poetry is often subjective and open to several interpretations, I think the “kayi” mentioned by Allama Iqbal is, in fact, the legendary Persian king Kay Khosrow. This is mentioned in several explanations of the Shikwa/Jawab Shikwa by several scholars.

One also has to consider that while Allama Iqbal was deeply familiar with the Persian literature, including “Shahnama” where Kay Khosrow is mentioned, we find no evidence of him making a study of the ancient origins of the Ottomans.

This does not, of course, take away from the
numerous achievements of the Turk Kayi tribe and the several illustrious rulers which came from it to whom Muslims owe a lot of debt including the Conquest of Constantinople. Just that this particular shair is not about them... :-)

While poetry is often subjective and open to several interpretations, I think the “kayi” mentioned by Allama Iqbal is, in fact, the legendary Persian king Kay Khosrow. This is mentioned in several explanations of the Shikwa/Jawab Shikwa by several scholars.

One also has to consider that while Allama Iqbal was deeply familiar with the Persian literature, including “Shahnama” where Kay Khosrow is mentioned, we find no evidence of him making a study of the ancient origins of the Ottomans.

numerous achievements of the Turk Kayi tribe and the several illustrious rulers which came from it to whom Muslims owe a lot of debt including the Conquest of Constantinople. Just that this particular shair is not about them... :-)

Impossible, this is a couplet from his poem "Jawab e Shikwah" where he was giving an account of Allah's blessings on the Muslims and in this couplet "Kayi" was undoubtedly referring to the achievements of Ottoman Muslim Turkic tribe of Kayi and not to any non-muslim mythical persian figure from prehistorical times, it would just not go with the religious nature of the poem "Jawab e Shikwah". And for your information Allama Iqbal was deeply familiar with the history of Ottoman Turks, he used to wear "Ottoman turkish cap" and so does even his son. There are some photos of them wearing Ottoman Turkish caps called "Romi caps" in those days, so he was fully aware of Ottomans turks and their history.

The funny thing is for most of my life I used to think that "Shan e Kayi" in this couplet means "several glories" thinking that "kayi" here is everyday word which means "several". But then after long time I realized that this "Kai" is something else or some Turkic tribe of the past. And I am not the only one who got it wrong throughout my early age, all my other friends in school and college also used to think "kayi" here means "several" :lol:.

This is exactly what have been my understanding. Today I understood the actual word and its meaning.

Last edited:

Why would Alleme (Alim-ul Ulema) Ikbal would glorify a Mushrik Husro???? Didn’t he know the Mushrikin are the worshippers of Iblis???? Unlike those Melun-el Melun Muslims, who were basically slaves of the Hindus, he asked for an independent Pak for a reason....

I know about Kayanian Dynasty of Persian Origin. but I would like to explain the context of lines.

It points towards the struggle Turkic Kayis put in to find a place to live in after being attacked by Mongols in their homeland.
They struggled, found a place for themselves and formed an empire later. This is Shaan.

This is respect he is referring instead of the big walls of palaces of some king.

Iqbal reveals the confused identity in us. His philosophy is epoch making. Problem is, we are not educated enough.

Iqbal still is ahead of the times. As we meekly serve in this era of neo-colonialism, Iqbal message is one of freedom and liberty which we wont understand unless we know what freedom really is.
Thank you my friend deeply for trying to educate that illiterate person in a most eloquent way.

have you watched other turkish dramas, with half naked turkish females like the hollywood?

regards
Even the female heroines in Ertugrul series are half naked in real life with no real life values and a shame that they are being filmed to portray some golden Islamic history. But hey... That's showbiz for you.

Back
Top Bottom