What's new

All the king’s horses and all the king’s men…

Pakistan will not participate in conflict that divides Muslim Ummah: Khawaja Asif

551504d81be91.jpg

"Our pledge is to protect the territorial integrity of KSA", said Khawaja Asif in the National Assembly today ─ Reuters/File

ISLAMABAD: Federal Defence Minister Khawaja Asif in the National Assembly elucidated Pakistan's role in the Yemen conflict, saying that no decision to participate has been taken and that Pakistan has only pledged to safeguard the territorial integrity of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA).

He stressed on Pakistan's role as 'facilitator' to end the conflicts in the Muslim world.

"Instead of aggravating the situation by participating in it, Pakistan should do what it can to prevent it ─ for the alliance and unity of the Muslim world," the defence minister said. "Pakistan is ready to adopt whatever role is needed in order to facilitate the termination of conflicts in the Islamic world."

Overview of Khawaja Asif's address in the National Assembly

• Pakistan ready to facilitate end termination of conflicts in Islamic world

• Involvement in conflict could aggravate fault-lines in Pakistan

• Pakistan refers resolution of issue in a forum where the Muslim world or Arab League are involved

• Pakistan has pledged to protect sovereignty and territorial integrity of KSA

• No decision to take part in the Yemeni conflict has been made by the government

• Pakistani leaders may visit KSA in order to assess the situation
"We will not take part in any conflict that could result in differences in the Muslim world, causing fault-lines present in Pakistan to be disturbed, the aggravation of which will have to be borne by Pakistan," he asserted.

The request from Riyadh comes at a time when the Pakistan military is engaged in an operation against terrorists in North Waziristan. Asif's reference to 'fault-lines' hints at Pakistan's widespread sectarian conflict, as a result of which Shia and other religious minorities are targeted in tit for tat killings by extremist groups.

The defence minister's statement comes a day after Saudi Arabia said that Pakistan will join its operation against Iran-backed Shia Houthi rebels in Yemen, for a conflict that is rapidly escalating into a murky civil war. The minister's announcement today apparently rules out Pakistan's immediate participation in the Yemen conflict.

"We want this issue to be resolved in a common forum where the Muslim world or Arab League is involved," said the defence minister. "The need of the hour is alliance and solidarity, not division."

"Division on the basis of religion or sect is rising in Syria, Iraq and Yemen. Instead of conflagration or proliferation ... It should be contained," he added.

"I reiterate, this pledge is for the protection of KSA ... if the sovereignty or territorial integrity of Saudi Arabia is threatened then Pakistan will defend it."

He went on to say that no decision to take part in the Yemeni conflict has been made by the government.

"We offered to visit [KSA] so we can assess the situation. The Arab League took up this matter, hopefully they will be able to resolve the matter in a forum. They can also take it to the OIC. We will see what happens in a couple of days. if we have to visit, we will definitely go there."

Earlier, the Leader of the Opposition Syed Khurshid Ahmad Shah had said that Pakistan should play its role for peace, particularly in the Islamic world, and should not take any sides in the war in the Middle East.

He suggested that a Joint Session of the Parliament or an All Parties Conference should be convened to take any decision on the issue. He said foreign policy should also be reviewed to meet the present day challenges.

Pakistan will not participate in conflict that divides Muslim Ummah: Khawaja Asif - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

A wise move by Pakistan, let Arabs fight each other for their own problems.

:cheers:

Ummah is the unitary of the Muslims....and there is no such unitary among Muslims.

And for us Turks, Ummah is dead and never gonna be resurrected again. Count us out.

With an exception that we don't support terrorists and never in our history, supported any terrorist groups. You can claim anything you want. Your claims will stay as claims unless you prove it.

ok.

one country terrorists or rebel and other country hero. interfering in other countries is also one form.
therefore turkey always supported its heros.

I can say that having all-out war between Pakistan and India is a silly things. About the answer, you know for sure that I cannot say that on behalf of future leaders. Talking about 2015-2019 leadership, I doubt that, since current government is not from Islamist power, even though the Islamist and his ally ( former Soeharto follower/ Golkar party/Democrat Party) conquer majority seat in Parliament/ as well as in local government

Again, Indonesia in the future, when we are predicted to have great economy and military power, about 2024 above, should be seen more as a country that can brokerage the peace deal if the war between Pakistan and India break out, instead of taking side. We talk about two countries that have nuclear weapon here.

But according to history we do have long history helping Muslim countries during their war like in Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Bosnia. We also helped Malaysia to fight against communist insurgency in Serawak by sending special forces ( part of Borneo /Kalimantan island in Malaysia part) during Soeharto leadership. Even though during Soekarno leadership, we wanted to take Malaysia with us and fought British/ Australia/Malaysia as a result.
So that is a possibility indeed .Right ?
I can see that in your reply.
Dont know about the capacity of Indonesia to challenge against India.But the level of investment that we are doing in our defence ,its not just for defence but also for creating jobs and military industrial complex ,is much high and its prime aim is to challenge China .Not Pakistan.So you can imagine the depth of the matter.Within 2030 we would have a military that can take on China.Only nation that can challenge us decisively would be US.

AFAIK Indonesia may not face such an issue.Because we wont go for a war with Pakistan.We have a lots of other options specially for them including economic leverage and diplomacy.

Thank you for your reply.Indonesia is a stabilizing factor in that region.And it is good for other nations in there.

Finally some sane voice. It is not our war and we should not indulge ourself into this mess

ok.

one country terrorists or rebel and other country hero. interfering in other countries is also one form.
therefore turkey always supported its heros.
We support FSA...if you have problem with it... :meeting:

Ummah is dead and never gonna be resurrected again.

I don't think it ever existed in the first place. It's just a fantasy for some, just like you play some global simulation and try to take over the world.

I strongly condemn Mr. Khawaja's word "Ummah".
Let's keep this word out of the door when living in sovereign country.
KSA didn't think about this Ummah when funding Al-Qaida, ISIL etc.
For these KSA barbarians Ummah means only beheading and power seeking which is totally contrary to human understanding.

Quite logical that KSA purchased our democratic thugs in 1.5 billion dollard.
What a load of BS.

it is same. terrorists of one country hero of others.
I think, we don't care the opinion of a dictator whom killed 200.000 of it's nationals, barrel bombed his cities full of civilians.

You can choose to look at the situation from Assad's point of view.

I think, we don't care the opinion of a dictator whom killed 200.000 of it's nationals, barrel bombed his cities full of civilians.

You can choose to look at the situation from Assad's point of view.

yeah. it is normal. No one cares of of own dictators. genocide of Alawis and Armenians.

mixed feeling really.

like I said, no country in the world should object to our forces being sent to safeguard the Saudi royal family.
providing military advisers to deal with any insurgency or unrest within the Saudi territory.

maybe I was exceeding my expectations when I thought somehow sending troops will oblige the Saudis to ease off the Indian led anti Pakistan campaign in the West. since KSA and Israel are American top tier allies and partners in the region.

I think Pakistan should stay away from this mess.Otherwise it will create unwanted enemies for Pakistan.Saudi and Arabs are in safe zone . But considering the Saudis influence in the Pak power circles entire thing matter is unpredictable.
looks like Nawaz league government made a huge financial sacrifice by agreeing to your advice.

mixed feeling really.

like I said, no country in the world should object to our forces being sent to safeguard the Saudi royal family.
providing military advisers to deal with any insurgency or unrest within the Saudi territory.

maybe I was exceeding my expectations when I thought somehow sending troops will oblige the Saudis to ease off the Indian led anti Pakistan campaign in the West. since KSA and Israel are American top tier allies and partners in the region.

looks like Nawaz league government made a huge financial sacrifice by agreeing to your advice.
They have not Fighter Jets are in KSA and many senior and Military guys too get yourself upgraded

mixed feeling really.

Irfan bhai, Bohut dur ki soch rahe hain aap. :D

btw, congrats on becoming a mod again.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom