What's new

All stories on Ukraine airliner tragedy

Iranian state TV, citing a military statement, said the country "unintentionally" shot down a Ukrainian Airlines passenger jet early Wednesday, killing all 176 people aboard, according to The Associated Press. The statement came early Saturday morning local time.

The admission comes after Iranian officials vehemently denied claims that they mistakenly shot the jet and accused the United States of "spreading lies" about intelligence suggesting they did. Of the 176 people killed in the crash, most were Iranian and Canadian nationals.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-update...krainian-plane-today-2020-01-10-live-updates/

Iran Says It Unintentionally Shot Down Ukrainian Airliner
After maintaining for days that there was no evidence to show one of its missiles had struck the plane, the Iranian military said it was an accident caused by human error.

merlin_166825908_f513f179-f4eb-46dd-a186-2e3de1ca9433-articleLarge.jpg

merlin_166825908_f513f179-f4eb-46dd-a186-2e3de1ca9433-articleLarge.jpg

Collecting bodies after the crash on Wednesday in Tehran.Credit...Arash Khamooshi for The New York Times
By Farnaz Fassihi

• Jan. 10, 2020, 11:03 p.m. ET
Iran announced early Saturday that it had accidentally shot down a Ukrainian passenger jet, blaming it on human error because of what it called the plane’s sharp, unexpected turn toward a sensitive military base, according to a statement issued by the country’s military.

The announcement reversed Iran’s claims that mechanical issues caused the crash of the aircraft, which killed all 176 people aboard. It had persistently denied that Iranian military defenses had downed the aircraft, a Boeing 737-800.

International pressure had been building on Iran to take responsibility. American and allied intelligence assessments have said that Iranian missiles brought down the plane, most likely by accident, amid the heightened tensions between the United States and Iran.

Suspicions that an Iranian missile had brought down the plane began immediately after Wednesday morning’s crash — just hours after Iran fired missiles at two bases in Iraq housing American forces

To tell the truth, I did not really expect Iran to admit it that quickly. Kudos to them.
The people killed in the accident have families that can now be compensated.

This was intentional, seemed like revenge for the Iranian flight shot down by the US decades ago. Both Iran and US are cut from the same cloth, terrorist regimes both of em.

To tell the truth, I did not really expect Iran to admit it that quickly. Kudos to them.
The people killed in the accident have families that can now be compensated.

This was intentional, seemed like revenge for the Iranian flight shot down by the US decades ago. Both Iran and US are cut from the same cloth, terrorist regimes both of em.

That is a pretty stupid assessment in my honest opinion. You might want to rethink this a little. Especially since half the passengers were Iranians.

So finally they admit it. I hope the other Iranians admit it too as last time I checked they were still calling it an engine failure and blaming it on Boeing.

@HannibalBarca 20+ Syrian shepherds, 50+ Iranians at the funeral, 180 passengers and zero American casualties. Hard revenge is on full swing.
Iran failed completely at revenge and lost 200+ people in the span of 10 days.

This is good marketing for Russian missile. If it was indeed a Tor that was used and not a crappy American MIM-23 HAWK.

Condolences to all those who perished in the shoot down. Very sad day indeed.
Wow, Russia shot down a plane with a huge RCS and no combat capabilities. Very good advertising.

Back
Top Bottom