What's new

Al Jazeera: Qatari emir Sheikh Hamad to step down

Mosa had slightly different opinion couple months back, and I heard the same thing (same as what Mosa said) from a few more people as well. Maybe differing personal pov's?

@Mosmania

Not really. We had two issues with him and we solved them and never had an issue ever since. First was the disputes between them and Bahrain, second was for throwing his father under the bus.

June 25, 2013

4142077372.jpg

Qatar’s Emir Shaikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al Thani (left) and his son Shaikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani.

Qatar Emir hands over power to son

It is time for the new generation to take over, the Emir says in a televised address

Qatar's ruler says he has transferred power to the 33-year-old crown prince in the biggest leadership shake up in 18 years.

The 61-year-old emir, Shaikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al Thani, said in a televised address on Tuesday that the decision has been made to step down.

In a seven-minute speech aired on state television, Shaikh Hamad said it was now time for the new generation to take over following his 18 years at the helm of the small, rich Gulf Arab state.

"The time has come to open a new page in the jouney of our nation that would have a new generation carry the responsibilities ... with their innovative ideas," said Shaikh Hamad, reading a prepared text behind his desk.

"I address you today to inform you that I will transfer power to Shaikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani. I am fully confident that he is qualified for the responsibility and is trustworthy."

State television later showed pictures of well wishers greeting the outgoing emir and Shaikh Tamim at the royal court.

The emir did not specify when the change would take effect but a Qatari official had said the move, once announced, would take immediate effect.

The British-educated crown prince, Shaikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani, will likely begin the process of putting together a new government that may be in direct contrast to the old guard leaders across the Western-backed Gulf Arab states.

The decision has been rumoured for months. Qatar has given no official explanation, but it is widely believed that Shaikh Hamad is suffering from health problems.

Tuesday was declared an official holiday in the country.

Shaikh Tamim, 33, has steadily acquired a prominent role in Qatar since his appointment as crown prince in 2003. He serves as chairman of the Qatar Investment Authority, the country’s primary sovereign wealth fund.

Shaikh Hamad has been in power since 1995, during which Qatar has evolved into an important player on the regional and international political scenes.

Abdullah Al Athbah, the managing editor of Al Arab newspaper, told Al Jazeera he did not expect to see a change in policy after the succession. “The heir apparent (crown prince) has been very close to his father and Shaikh Jasem,” he said, referring to the prime minister. “I don’t think there will be a big change in policy, foreign or domestic.”

Shaikh Tamim is the fourth son of Shaikh Hamad, 61, and the second child of the Emir with his second wife, Shaikha Mozah Bint Nasser Al Missned.

Shaikh Tamim is member of the International Olympic Committee. In 2006, he headed the Organizing Committee of the ASIAD 2006 Games. An avid sports figure, he practiced football, tennis and swimming.

In line with the typical grooming of future leaders in the Gulf countries, Shaikh Tamim has been encouraged to assume an active role in Qatar’s domestic and foreign policies as well as in the country’s military

The Qatar blogosphere activity leapt into life, brining in comments from all over the world. “We are confident that Shaikh Tamim would be up to the responsibility,” Ahmad Al Attiya, a Qatari national, said.

A hashtag, thankyouhamad, created for the occasion has been particularly popular among social media users. “I have watched Qatar become an economic, sports, education and political leader. #ThankyouHamad for everything. You will always be in our hearts,” Samaia Samara posted.

Qatar Emir hands over power to son | GulfNews.com

------------------

June 25, 2013

Qatar Emir’s speech on power transfer in full

Here is the translated text of outgoing Qatari Emir ShAikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al Thani’s speech in which he handed over power to his son

In the name of God, the most merciful.

My dear people, the sons of this nation, I speak to you today as we prepare to enter a new era in the history of our nation. I wanted to address you first because you are the owners of this land of the pure as well as its protectors, the builders of its renaissance and the makers of its future.

This was the faith that filled my heart and lived in my soul as I grew up in the land of Qatar and started to hold responsibilities to serve this homeland and its people. God knows that I didn’t want power for itself nor did I seek it for personal motivations, but it’s the interest of the nation that required us to take us through a new era.

The time has come to open a new page in the journey of our nation that would have a new generation carry the responsibilities (armed) with their innovative ideas and active energies.

Our young people have proved in recent years that they are people of strength and resoluteness who comprehend the spirit of their time and fully understand its necessities while keeping up with what is new. Furthermore, they contribute with their ideas through the process of innovation.

And fit for this occasion is what Ali bin Abi Taleb said: “Teach your children the best of what you have been taught for they have been created for a time different than yours.” You, our sons and daughters, are the treasure of this nation, the builders of its present and bearers of its future.

Since the beginning, we have been positive about you and on you we have laid our hope. You have proved with your high ambitions and through the achievements that you have offered to the nation, that you are qualified for leadership and trustworthy.

I hope I have succeeded in bearing responsibility in a way that first pleases God and in a way that lives up to people’s expectations. In areas where I have excelled, it is only because of God’s guidance and in areas where I have done wrong, it is my own doing, and I hope people who bear responsibility after me learn from that.

I address you today to inform you that I will transfer power to Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani. I am fully confident that he is qualified for the responsibility and is trustworthy and able to carry the message forward. I am full of faith that you will be the best support for him as you supported me ... I am confident too that Tamim will put the interest of the nation and its people as his priority and that the happiness of the Qatari people will be his main goal at all times.

The future is ahead of you as you move into a new reign where a young leadership holds up the banner. (This leadership) puts the ambition of the coming generation as a priority and works relentlessly to make that happen with the help of God and the sons of this nation and armed with experience which they have gathered in governance, in running the affairs of this country and deep understanding of our area and the Arab world in particular.

Although I am confident that you are qualified for bearing this responsibility, I advise you to be fearful of God, be of knowledge and work hard. Knowledge should be the light the guides your path and assist you in the creating the best future for this nation.

It is knowledge that produces generations that are able to bear responsibility and it is knowledge that helps them take the right path. Hard and faithful work should be your habit in order to serve the nation. Steer away from complacency, lethargy and indolence, for the present and future generations are only built with effort and hard work of their people. (Nations) are only shielded against the ambitions of others and protected from dangers through sweat and sacrifice.

Although I am confident about your loyalty to your Arabic and Islamic heritage, I advise you to preserve our cultural values that stem from our religion as well as our Arab and human heritage. We believe that the Arab world is a single body, its single states are in good condition if they the rest of the state are. I advise you to stick to righteousness despite all changing conditions ... (Religious verses) I speak to you today to thank the people of Qatar who were with me and supported me throughout this path. They were the best supporters in times of hardship and helped overcome challenges. My goal has always been for them to live in prosperity, stability and security.

My heart will always beat with the love of this land and its nation, for it is the first thing I laid my eye upon and it is where my imagination was triggered.

I also thank and appreciate all of those who worked closely with me. They were the best supporters in times of hardship and prosperity. I thank our armed forces and our army for the honourable role that they have carried out during my leadership.

I won’t forget as long as I live the loyalty of the Qatari people, praying for God to preserve Qatar and maintain its security and stability and lay His grace upon its people.

Peace be upon you.

Qatar Emir

The guy isn't feeling well my friend that's all. Plus, Tameem is a smart young man.

You will see Qatar behaving differently than what it used to be.

Well my friend i got nothing against the current King, infact he did a great job in changing Qatar's image internationally... :) .. but one cant change the history.. ALL THE BEST TO THE NEW KING :D

Qatar's emir transfers power to son

Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani says he is handing over power to son and calls on countrymen to lend their support.

201362414390710621_20.jpg

Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani , the ruler of Qatar for 18 years, has transferred the "reins of power" to his son.

The outgoing emir made the announcement to hand over power to Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, 33, in an address to the nation on Tuesday .

"As I address you today, I declare that I will hand over the reins of power to Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, and I am fully certain that he is up to the responsibility, deserving the confidence, capable of shouldering the responsibility and fulfilling the mission," Sheikh Hamad, 61, said.

Live television footage after the speech finished showed Sheikh Hamad and his son smiling widely, being greeted with traditional embraces by dignitaries and prominent members of the Qatari society.

Sheikh Hamad had met royals a day earlier, where he announced the transition plans.

"God Almighty is aware that I had not desired power for the sake of power, nor endeavoured to rule for personal motives, yet it has always been the nation’s interest, and that interest has dictated that we lead through a new chapter," the outgoing emir said.

Sheikh Tamim has been groomed for the position since 2003, when his elder brother stepped aside.

In the speech, Sheikh Hamad also called on the people of Qatar to protect their identity.

"I am confidant that you are fully aware of your loyalty and of your Arab and Muslim identity," he said. "I urge you to preserve our civilised traditional and cultural values, originating from our religion, Arab identity and above all our humanity; as we believe that the Arab World is one human body; one coherent structure; it prospers if all its parts are prosperous."

Saudi Arabia was quick to offer congratulations to Sheikh Tamim.

The kingdom's 90-year-old King Abdullah said: "We are confident that you will continue the journey of your father ... and his efforts in serving the state of Qatar and its brotherly people as well as strengthening relations between the two nations."

Handover process

Al Jazeera's diplomatic editor, James Bays, said the next 48 hours will be crucial for the new leader.

"The way this works, in this part of the world, is that he needs to see his subjects," he said. "He needs to speak to the prominent players in society, and there will effectively be, for some hours today, and some hours on Wednesday, an open house here, where he will be meeting all the prominent sheikhs, speaking to them, discussing the future."

Sheikh Hamad took power in 1995 while his father was on an overseas trip.

The growth came largely from natural gas; Qatar possesses some of the largest proven reserves in the world, but produced almost nothing before 1995.He became the ruler of a country with an $8bn economy, a figure which grew to $174bn a decade and half later.

During most of Sheikh Hamad's rule, Qatar also adopted a pragmatic policy, cultivating relationships with countries and groups across the political spectrum.

"We also know when you speak to diplomats here that [Sheikh Tamim] has been involved very closely with Qatari policy, both domestic and foreign policy for some considerable time," Al Jazeera's Bays said. "Slowly he's been taking more and more of a share of the running of this country.

It's not as though he is now going to be sitting at a new desk with a new brief. He has been taking control of many matters, both in terms of their domestic and international policy."

:cry:

Although he wronged Jordan, but he is dear to us, he dedicated himself for Arabs, may Allah bless him:

72831160.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck, ‘Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani’ ! God bless you ! You did an excellent job in only 18 years reign.

Now, it’s time of the new generation. Your son, much more educated and younger, will go more far that you.

Qatar : The "Qatar Science & Technology Park" (QSTP) Part 1.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/milita...ar-science-technology-park-qstp-part-1-a.html

Qatar : The "Qatar Science & Technology Park" (QSTP) Part 2.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/milita...ar-science-technology-park-qstp-part-2-a.html

Sidra Medical and Research Center (Qatar)

http://www.defence.pk/forums/milita...6647-qatar-sidra-medical-research-center.html

Pooling for ‘all GCC members’.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/arab-defence/243555-gcc-states-economy-development-2.html#post4135962

Qatar and Volkswagen will have intensive cooperation in R & D

http://www.defence.pk/forums/arab-defence/243555-gcc-states-economy-development-2.html#post4136705

http://www.defence.pk/forums/arab-defence/243555-gcc-states-economy-development-2.html#post4136730

http://www.defence.pk/forums/arab-defence/243555-gcc-states-economy-development-2.html#post4136749

UAE & Qatar : One day, we will be ‘the kings of ores’.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/arab-defence/243555-gcc-states-economy-development-3.html#post4208913

http://www.defence.pk/forums/arab-defence/243555-gcc-states-economy-development-3.html#post4208943

http://www.defence.pk/forums/arab-defence/243555-gcc-states-economy-development-3.html#post4208955

Bahrain would be the same as the latter if the majority of the population had weapons like the fat Qatari did in Syria.

How many camels for the new Emir's late night sojourns?

Jokes aside, one puppet makes way for another. What's the significance of this event again?

No significance. Just cosmetic. One fat ugly pig replaced by someone slightly less ugly and fat.

How many camels for the new Emir's late night sojourns?

Jokes aside, one puppet makes way for another. What's the significance of this event again?

There is a rumor among Qataris and a few Arabs who are experts on Arab genealogy and the genealogy of the rulling Arab families and many of them have said that the Qatari rulers are Indians originally and not really from the Arab Banu Tamim tribe. Being a Bangladeshi, basically a Indian people (Bengali) I would not be too quick in the comments if you know what I mean.

Lastly look at your own Bangladesh. Only idiots would compare tiny Qatar with bigger states. Next time compare Monaco with USA.

Oh, Qatar is no puppet of anybody but a soverign state that is punching WAY above it's weight. In fact I can't think of such a small country with such a small population yielding such a big influence in so many fields. Any country that small would have loved to be in Qatar's shoes.

Talking about looks, like that has any significance on politics, then you are at least without your Ahmadinejad dwarf who topped the list of strangest creatures among the world's politicians.

-----------------------------

Anyway disagreements or not with his politics like KSA had in the past then he had his good sides too especially his stance on Syria which will be remember for a very long time, as Blackeagle already pointed out, and then his transformation of Qatar which looks nothing less than like the most advanced cities in the West. Qatari's being ****** rich (the richest in the world on average) helps though.

Still think that we should have annexed Qatar though looking at it in retro-perspective.:whistle:

Look, "Bengalis" are not Indians. It's like saying Arabs are camels.

The two may be geographically proximate, but that's all that there is to it.

And, there is no need to drag the discussion to Bangladesh.

Maybe, desert dwellers have not yet figured out yet what logical discussion is meant to be, but you can rest assured that the civilized world does not pay any heed to some desert tribe when making their decisions.

-------

The day you lot can address a point without ad hominems is the day you start to learn the basics of logical argumentation.

Isn't Qatar home to the largest USAF air base in the Middle East? Doesn't Qatar maintain relations with so called "Israel" and allowed USA to kill millions of Muslims in Iraq?

Most of us know what sort of a puppet these desert kingdoms are. Let it go.

We won't be swayed by some sand farmer's cheap talk on the internet. The same incompetent lot that has yet to show a single indigenous military product despite hundreds of billions of dollars in military expenditures in decades should tend to their camels first and foremost.

Look, "Bengalis" are not Indians. It's like saying Arabs are camels.

The two may be geographically proximate, but that's all that there is to it.

And, there is no need to drag the discussion to Bangladesh.

Maybe, desert dwellers have not yet figured out yet what logical discussion is meant to be, but you can rest assured that the civilized world does not pay any heed to some desert tribe when making their decisions.

-------

The day you lot can address a point without ad hominems is the day you start to learn the basics of logical argumentation.

Isn't Qatar home to the largest USAF air base in the Middle East? Doesn't Qatar maintain relations with so called "Israel" and allowed USA to kill millions of Muslims in Iraq?

Most of us know what sort of a puppet these desert kingdoms are. Let it go.

We won't be swayed by some sand farmer's cheap talk on the internet. The same incompetent lot that has yet to show a single indigenous military product despite hundreds of billions of dollars in military expenditures in decades should tend to their camels first and foremost.

Better to be a camel, at least they are valuable and useful animals that have always been valuable and that are even praised in Islam, than a donkey or monkey for example.

Oh, who are you kidding? You are both South Asians and millions of Bengalis also live across the border in India. The only difference is that they are Hindus just like millions of Bangladeshis are btw.

Bengali people - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Funny that you talked about civilized. You do know that the Middle East, including the Semitic people have the oldest civilizations right?

Who made you people Muslims in the first place? Learn to have some respect.

So what? Americans have bases all over the world from Germany to Japan. Qatar, last time I checked, is still a independent state. Also look at your own country, Bangladesh before you throw accusations of puppets around.

My point still stand. No other country of the size and population of Qatar yield as much influence and power across the world. That's just a fact.

The so-called "relations" with Israel is just nonsense. The same nonsense we hear from non-Arabs who like to think they know everything about the Arab world despite not even speaking Arabic, visiting the region or knowing anything other than what they just find on Wikipedia when asked. One does not need to look further than seeing your comments.

Whatever. Worry about your Bangladesh which is not even comparable to tiny Qatar in terms of economy, advancement, standard of life etc. Or any other Arab country for that matter.

Probably another frustrated Shia that is obsessed about Arabs and suffers from a inferiority complex.

Back
Top Bottom