What's new

Airbus A330 wins IAF Tanker Tender

If i am correct,the current Il-76mki MIDAS squadron is headed by Wing commander Nanchiketa,who's MiG 27 crashed due to an engine flame out due to fumes blocking engine air intake in a rocket attack during kargil war. He was held as a POW and tortured by pak forces.

I am assuming Finance Ministry will reject this Airbus deal again and Boeing will enter and win the competion.

That's why they cancelled the first deal, but Boeing denied to join the competition, because they are busy with the US tanker deal. Now IAF has included lifecycle costs (strange that they didn't from the start) and that will turn out as a benefit for the A330.

However, the source for the report is very unreliable and we should wait for an official statement, that's why I posted it only in the IAF thread yesterday. The media is speculating waaaay too much based on questionable sources these days.

Because we are all ready using the IL 78 woulnt it be cheaper and easy for us to stick with the same platform?

Because we are all ready using the IL 78 woulnt it be cheaper and easy for us to stick with the same platform?

You'd think so but he Russians are so pathetic with after sales that it wouldn't be benifocl at all. Also the life cycle costs of the A330 MRTT are significantly cheaper- more reliable airframe, less operating crew, 1/2 the engines, 100s of civil A330s in service in India etc

"Admiral Gorskov"

The experience is resulted in to the Relations..............................:azn:

A 330 is a good platform afterall for our IAF... I think We can trust the Europe more than the USA... I never knew Russian after support sales is that much worse, that it is affecting their reputation in tenders... They must rectify it well and must develop after support atleast now...

Apart from what Abingdonboy told, A330s has better troop carrying capabilites also. Also, A330s has drogues as well as booms,where as Il 78s has drogues only.

A 330 is a good platform afterall for our IAF... I think We can trust the Europe more than the USA... I never knew Russian after support sales is that much worse, that it is affecting their reputation in tenders... They must rectify it well and must develop after support atleast now...

We've been telling them the same for about 2 decades!

Not necessarily, because...

...the ILs are 4 engined aircrafts, the A330 only 2
...the ILs require a crew of 6, the A330 only 3
...the A330 is based on a widly exported civil aircraft, with huge numbers of spares available at lower costs
...the A330 is a multi role aircraft and can be use in transport or MEDIVAC roles as well (can carry more fuel than the IL78, while carrying the same ammount of cargo as a IL76 in IAF)

good news but i wish had Boeing had participated this deal would have been much more interesting....:undecided:

No.

IL78 MIDAS Offered by Rusians came with D-3 engine not the PS -90
Spares suppies on Il76/78 has NOT been a problem.

One of the prime reasons for IL being cancelled was engine offered by Ilushin
Second point being IL Offers 3 Drogues Where as A330 offers 2 Drogues + 1 Boom probe.
We need Boom probes for P-8/C17 refueling.

Cost to Benefit Analysis A330 is cheaper and more useful

Isnt Airbus offering Universal Receptacle - that works for both Drogue as well as Boom type of refueling ?

well shocking the ruskies are getting battered in every military deal starting from transport helicopter deal to TANKERs :lol:

well no wonder why Putin post poned his visit :D

Isnt Airbus offering Universal Receptacle - that works for both Drogue as well as Boom type of refueling ?

I have not seen the SQRs from Airbus. The fact remains Russians dont have UARRSI know-how. However, French and Yanks have been using since 90s. No IL78 MIDLAS has been mated with Universal Aerial Refueling Receptacle Slipway Installation till date.

However, Boom Drogues could be added on need.

One of the Fundamental reasons for Russians to lose was D-03 engine and Cost to Life expense Ratio.
If MIDAS was offered in IL476 variant, take it for Granted it wont have been rejected.

well shocking the ruskies are getting battered in every military deal starting from transport helicopter deal to TANKERs :lol:

well no wonder why Putin post poned his visit :D

That was due to health reasons, he'll have something to smile about once he gets here -

$4.2 billion Super-Sukhoi fighters deal
$11 billion PMF/FGFA fifth-generation stealth fighters deal
$?? T-90AM Armata main battle tanks deal
$?? BrahMos-II Hypersonic cruise missile deal
$?? Mi-17v-5 transport helicopters deal

and maybe some more...and yeah, I did not miss the sarcastic nature of your post.

I guess you mean something like this:

511px-Hose-and-drogue_refueling_equipment_of_KC-135A.jpg

But that is just a drogue that retracts from the centerline boom, which means the tanker has 3 x hose - drogue refuelling stations, while we need 2 of them at the wings and a boom refuelling system on the centerline for P8Is and C17s, although the latter won't use this capability that often.

If MIDAS was offered in IL476 variant, take it for Granted it wont have been rejected.

Doubtful, becuase the only advantage would be more fuel capacity, while all disadvantages remain.

511px-Hose-and-drogue_refueling_equipment_of_KC-135A.jpg

But that is just a drogue that retracts from the centerline boom, which means the tanker has 3 x hose - drogue refuelling stations, while we need 2 of them at the wings and a boom refuelling system on the centerline for P8Is and C17s, although the latter won't use this capability that often.

Correct. That it is a fact.

Doubtful, becuase the only advantage would be more fuel capacity, while all disadvantages remain.

Rejected. Tell me one point why IL476 will be rejected when it is meeting many defeciencies like T/O from unpaved runaways. 90 series engines, Higher payload by 10K

Most of all I have 2 SQNs and AME techies already trained on them.........

Back
Top Bottom