What's new

Air Force secretary advocates for export control fixes amid concerns over Turkey | TheHill

LKJ86

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
BY ELLEN MITCHELL - 05/29/18 05:41 PM EDT

wilsonheather_033017vsj_lead.jpg

© Victoria Sarno Jordan

Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson on Tuesday hinted that it may be the United States’s fault that NATO ally Turkey has agreed to buy a Russian air defense system, pointing to strict American export controls.

“We always want our allies to have equipment that’s interoperable and that doesn’t pose a threat,” Wilson said before an audience at the Atlantic Council in Washington.

“Sometimes it’s the United States that’s part of the problem.”

Wilson was responding to a question on Turkey’s agreement in December to buy the Russian-made S-400 long-range air and anti-missile defense system.

The S-400 is not interoperable with other NATO and U.S. military equipment and is expected to create operational problems within the alliance.

Wilson said the sale “does present some operational problems ... particularly as it relates to the location of advanced aircraft in Turkey” like the F-35.

Washington was expected this year to begin delivery of the first of an eventual 116 F-35 Lightning II fighters to Turkey. The nation has committed to buying the F-35A variant under the U.S.-led, multinational Joint Strike Fighter program.

“We would not want to have that aircraft close to the S-400 and so those discussions are going on with Turkey,” Wilson added, noting that the State Department and Pentagon are leading the talks.

When asked whether the sale was an indication of an alliance problem with Turkey, Wilson replied, “no,” and hinted that it was U.S. export controls that were to blame for the sale.

“We’ve got some of our allies that are trying to purchase unmanned aerial vehicles, for example, or remotely piloted aircraft. We won’t sell them ours because of export control and so we force them into a situation where they want to buy unmanned aircraft or even intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance aircraft that are built by China,” she said.

“Sometimes we need to figure out how to be better allies and ... build things that are designed to be exportable from the very beginning so that we can all operate off the same equipment. ... Some of it’s our own fault and we’ve got to fix it,” Wilson added.

Turkey in the past year has increasingly been a thorn in Washington’s side, starting with an incident last year when 15 Turkish security officials were indicted for an attack on protestors outside the Turkish Embassy. President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan had been in D.C. for a visit with President Trump at the time.

Washington and Ankara have also butted heads over Kurdish forces in Syria. The United States has aided the forces in the fight against the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS), but Turkey considers the Kurds terrorists.

In addition, Turkey has detained American pastor Andrew Brunson for the past 18 months over accusations that he aided in a failed coup attempt against Erdoğan.

Congress has since become fed up with Turkey.

The House version of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), passed last week, would stop all weapons sales to the nation until the Pentagon analyzes worsening tensions between the two nations.

The Senate Armed Services Committee’s version of the annual defense policy bill, meanwhile, has two provisions targeting Turkey’s plans to purchase the F-35. Another provision would sanction Ankara if it goes through with the S-400 purchase.

Source:http://thehill.com/policy/defense/3...s-for-export-control-fixes-amid-concerns-over

And some want to repeat the same mistake with F-35.
In my opinion if the Americans cancel F-35 delivery and destroy a decades long cooperation then i think Turkey must go for J-31, even if its just to piss off Americans.

Well Turkey can put F35s and S-400 in very different places.

In my opinion if the Americans cancel F-35 delivery and destroy a decades long cooperation then i think Turkey must go for J-31, even if its just to piss off Americans.
Or accelerate the development of TFX.

Why not for Su-57???

Or accelerate the development of TFX.
Making a 5th gen fighter isnt like making pizza or something, there must be a stop gap solution since i hardly believe even a prototype will be ready by 2023 as promised.

Why not for Su-57???
Becoming too dependant on Russia is never a good idea, ask Ukraine, we already buy S-400.

What bothers the yanks so much about the S400? That is the real question.

What bothers the yanks so much about the S400? That is the real question.
I had an idea that Russians might build in a backdoor into the system to analyse the F-35's radar cross section better, its just an idea of me.
In any case the interoperability with Nato systems is just an excuse since this is Turkey's problem and i hardly believe it would bother Americans that much to go as far as sanctioning Turkey.

Washington was expected this year to begin delivery of the first of an eventual 116 F-35 Lightning II fighters to Turkey. The nation has committed to buying the F-35A variant under the U.S.-led, multinational Joint Strike Fighter program.

“We would not want to have that aircraft close to the S-400 and so those discussions are going on with Turkey,” Wilson added, noting that the State Department and Pentagon are leading the talks.

Making a 5th gen fighter isnt like making pizza or something, there must be a stop gap solution since i hardly believe even a prototype will be ready by 2023 as promised.

Becoming too dependant on Russia is never a good idea, ask Ukraine, we already buy S-400.
That's true. J-31 can be a good stop gap solution. Su-57 can also be a great alternative if Russia and Turkey can come up with a deal based on JV and partial TOT.

I had an idea that Russians might build in a backdoor into the system to analyse the F-35's radar cross section better, its just an idea of me.
In any case the interoperability with Nato systems is just an excuse since this is Turkey's problem and i hardly believe it would bother Americans that much to go as far as sanctioning Turkey.

After the failed coup in 2016, S400 became priority for Turkey and that has given cramps to the rest of NATO especially the yanks. I think the hype of F35's capability is much blown out of proportion, In my opinion.

There is something about that system that we are not privy to.

...............Another provision would sanction Ankara if it goes through with the S-400 purchase.

I don't understand why the U.S. keeps saying this....... the system has already been purchased - even though delivery of the S-400 will happen later.

The House version of the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA), passed last week, would stop all weapons sales to the nation until the Pentagon analyzes worsening tensions between the two nations.

Even if the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) can be applied retroactively, it is wrong to suggest that Turkey has contravened any U.S. laws.

Back
Top Bottom