What's new

Air Force Question Thread

I have a question!
F-16 block 60 has overblown (swollen) part on both sides behind the cockpit where wings attach to main frame of aircraft, adjacent to wings and airframe. It is also now visible on J-10B airframe. What is this. If this is for fuel storage why we dont design new block of JF-17 like this.

Those parts are called "conformal fuel tanks" (CFT). Search them up on google. F-15E also has them. They are not visible on the real J-10B's airframe, the J-10B pictures you are talking about are simply computer-generated pictures that were made by a Chinese air force fan. I'm pretty sure JF can be modified with them, but whether JF-17 actually needs them is the question. I think there are higher priorities like getting a more powerful, reliable and economical engine fitted to JF. It is already compatible with aerial refuelling anyway, so I doubt it needs CFT.

Those parts are called "conformal fuel tanks" (CFT). Search them up on google. F-15E also has them. They are not visible on the real J-10B's airframe, the J-10B pictures you are talking about are simply computer-generated pictures that were made by a Chinese air force fan. I'm pretty sure JF can be modified with them, but whether JF-17 actually needs them is the question. I think there are higher priorities like getting a more powerful, reliable and economical engine fitted to JF. It is already compatible with aerial refuelling anyway, so I doubt it needs CFT.

1. Agreed , JF-17 doesn't need extra fuel cells , the ROA is sufficient for the missions it will under take.

2. But it cant be modified for CFT, cuz then u got to modify the CG , Aerfoil and wing loading, and again compromise on the take of weight, and finally make sure that the engine thrust to weight ration is compaitable.....i dont think we are ready to do that just for a few fuel cells.

3. Powerful engines may produce more thrust to weight ratio, but then u got to see the design, excess of thrust produces structural damage

But it cant be modified for CFT, cuz then u got to modify the CG , Aerfoil and wing loading, and again compromise on the take of weight, and finally make sure that the engine thrust to weight ration is compaitable.....i dont think we are ready to do that just for a few fuel cells.
You think when Lockheed Martin was designing F-16, they already had CFT in mind?

You think when Lockheed Martin was designing F-16, they already had CFT in mind?

No , But once u get such a super hit model and u get so much export money, u can modify it to sell some more blocks.....its all about money for them and they have alot of resources already......we dont , we have to meet our ends first

No , But once u get such a super hit model and u get so much export money, u can modify it to sell some more blocks.....its all about money for them and they have alot of resources already......we dont , we have to meet our ends first
So technically JF can be modified for CFT or more correctly, CFTs can be designed for existing JF airframe if the resources are available. Correct me if I got it wrong.

So technically JF can be modified for CFT or more correctly, CFTs can be designed for existing JF airframe if the resources are available. Correct me if I got it wrong.

Yeah , i guess it all comes to resources and we dont have many options

Right now there is no such thing for JF-17 may be after a few years, Its not that simple to make a change in the design it takes years to make it perfect Lockh has been working on CFT for the last 7 years.
With full pay load the Fighter uses a lot of fuel while he is taxing out and take off that is why, We take off with limited fuel and refuel from a tanker.

Gloster Javalin resurrected or am i wrong but some what LCA resembles this old britsh Jet and Indians have the habit of copying some british designs like HAL HF-24.
LCA = Gloster Javalin + Mirage 2000

GLOSTER JAVALIN

Mirage 2000

a7478e9541fe31b8834713f3f634986c.jpg

Now look at LCA compare it too both Gloster Javalin and M2000

Gloster Javalin resurrected or am i wrong but some what LCA resembles this old britsh Jet and Indians have the habit of copying some british designs like HAL HF-24.

Everyone copies everyone. And frankly, if your strategic situation is not urgent and you can afford to lag behind a half generation and reverse engineer something and save half the development cost why the hell not?

I would. You would too, if you had to make the tough decisions on defence spending too. Even the might US DoD is not immune to this - how many programs have been axed? And many in late-stages (Commanche, Crusader, etc) of the program too. If i recall correctly they axed Commanche after they spent $2 billion setting up the assembly line.

GLOSTER JAVALIN

Mirage 2000

a7478e9541fe31b8834713f3f634986c.jpg

Now look at LCA compare it too both Gloster Javalin and M2000

so whats the point you wanna make ...want another huge war of words ...utter waste of bandwidth :hitwall:

:cheers:

as for CFT see if we getting tankers i don't think we need CFTs that bad....i doubt we will ever expect JF to go deep into enemy airspace for a surgical strike and in peace time to just stay on station i think tankers should do the job. spending on CFT might just not be such a feasible option....i think

Do F-16MLU have CFT's??

No it does not. You need a higher thrust engine and modification to a plane to accomodate the CFTs .You cant do that to an old plane. As mentioned before our best option is to airfuel on takeoff with aerial refuelling tankers.
Araz

No it does not. You need a higher thrust engine and modification to a plane to accomodate the CFTs .You cant do that to an old plane. As mentioned before our best option is to airfuel on takeoff with aerial refuelling tankers.
Araz

Thank u araz!!:cheers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom