What's new

Air chief witnesses live missile firing of JF-17 Thunder

I hope he (@Lil Mathew ) does and what i will really want is for him to come out and SAY that OK he got it now!! THAT IS HOW WE CAN HAVE A CONSTRUCTIVE DEBATE! Otherwise, we are all wasting our time on the forum.

Hence the true benefit of this facility in allowing the verification of weapon systems and instrumented tests rather than the current method of “Jhanda urr gaya hai”
This kind of facility can either scare or really excite an OEM. The ones that are confident about their product will pay to showcase their product, while the shady ones generally won't entertain it. Granted, it'll also depend on whether the results reach all of the right quarters (and not kept away).

Why the hell would you need off-boresight capability in a BVR missile?
As @pakistanipower says. Plus, off boresight is one of the methods employed to use LOAL. SD-10 BVR employs a different system, it has its own onboard INS. WIth off-boresight, no need for onboard INS, use the HMS to look in the general direction of the target.

As @pakistanipower says. Plus, off boresight is one of the methods employed to use LOAL. SD-10 BVR employs a different system, it has its own onboard INS. WIth off-boresight, no need for onboard INS, use the HMS to look in the general direction of the target.
BVR doesn't need high off borsight:crazy:, term is only for SRAAM,:agree: no need for BVRAAM:disagree: and as for your information every BVR uses INS to initial phase of flight and then activate its active radar sensor at terminal flight,
@sparten bro you're mixing SRAAM with BVRAAM, their no need to use HMS for BVR, HMS is usually uses SRAAM not with BVR, so @sparten i sincerely advice to do research before you post my friend @sparten

MODS. There are at least 3 threads running on the topic. Can we please amalgamate them into one
A

Sir,

Weapon testing site thread has been moved to strategic section. Two threads w.r.t. JF-17 firing BVR, are merged here for convenience. Anything else that I can help with, please let me know.

Regards,

Sir,

Weapon testing site thread has been moved to strategic section. Two threads w.r.t. JF-17 firing BVR, are merged here for convenience. Anything else that I can help with, please let me know.

Regards,
Thank you very much.
Kind regards

I have no info that KLJ-7A was tested in Pakistan today the ground based new RADAR of NO.14 was tested today in Pakistan. The KLJ-7A is being tested of FC-1 in China I have confirmation of that.

V good.
Full marks.

Some thing between a cruise missile and a drone but the target was very well designed and they don't usually design such targets.

@wanglaokan take a look at the video in post #21 people here will not notice it. It is an IR video but the cursor on top is RADAR generated lock the most important thing to notice is when the target is destroyed the RADAR lock shivers in a split of second to identify all fragments. This shows the capability of this RADAR and integration of IR and RADAR system in a single data hub.

Impressive !

now @BHarwana
Tell us
What does above information tell us about he missile type and capability ?

@Dazzler @Oscar @Windjammer

I posed the question to a well connected source asking that since the JF-17 have been patrolling armed with SD-10 for a while now, so what was the purpose of this test. This was the reply.

Successful firing of BVR missile at a low RCS target.... much lower RCS than any aircraft also keeping in mind that the target was a slow moving drone. !!

@Oscar @Dazzler @Taimoor Khan @Bratva @The Eagle

I posed the question to a well connected source asking that since the JF-17 have been patrolling armed with SD-10 for a while now, so what was the purpose of this test. This was the reply.

Successful firing of BVR missile at a low RCS target.... much lower RCS than any aircraft also keeping in mind that the target was a slow moving drone. !!

@Oscar @Dazzler @Taimoor Khan @Bratva @The Eagle
Most tests are done against drones and the KJL-7 is a fairly decent radar with A2A performance similar to APG-68.

The real kicker for the JF-17 is that in many engagements with the block-52, the viper pilots have difficulty figuring out where the JF-17 is if it decides to hunt in passive mode. It has a small RCS anyway and when working with its datalink its difficult to detect until it powers up its radar to get a lock and send a SD-10 on its way.
Additionally in those cases, either due to its low power output or otherwise - even under jamming the JF-17 is not picked up on the F-16s RWR until it’s already locked and shooting.

Most tests are done against drones and the KJL-7 is a fairly decent radar with A2A performance similar to APG-68.

The real kicker for the JF-17 is that in many engagements with the block-52, the viper pilots have difficulty figuring out where the JF-17 is if it decides to hunt in passive mode. It has a small RCS anyway and when working with its datalink its difficult to detect until it powers up its radar to get a lock and send a SD-10 on its way.
Additionally in those cases, either due to its low power output or otherwise - even under jamming the JF-17 is not picked up on the F-16s RWR until it’s already locked and shooting.

If that is indeed the case, then we should be testing our vipers against other aircraft as well. Is this because Thunder is very good, or the Americans have sold us a defective product????

If that is indeed the case, then we should be testing our vipers against other aircraft as well. Is this because Thunder is very good, or the Americans have sold us a defective product????
Every aircraft has its advantages. The vipers are otherwise deadly machines but each aircraft when employed effectively has the ability to overcome the other.

Why would the Americans sell us a defective product? That’s ridiculous.

Every aircraft has its advantages. The vipers are otherwise deadly machines but each aircraft when employed effectively has the ability to overcome the other.

Why would the Americans sell us a defective product? That’s ridiculous.

Well defective is a very strong word that I used as hyperbole, but watered down is a reality that everyone knows. How much watered down is a question that can only be answered by performing real experiments because word of mouth and manuals can be trusted only so much.

Back
Top Bottom