What's new

Air C.Marshal Browne confirms MiG-21 and MiG-27 to be phased out by 2019

Sure PAF flies Mirage 3's "introduced " in 1961, before vomiting on this thread, go look up when the mig21 Bisons that will remain in service were produced in India.

I did ask about the aircrafts introduced in the 1950s and not 1960s.

I did ask about the aircrafts introduced in the 1950s and not 1960s.

T37 tweet 1957, happy now? btw 1959 and 1961 are decades apart, aren't they... the fact is you just want to feed your ego by stating IAF operates old planes, on the same hand you want to ignore the fact that BVR capable Mig 21 Bisons are the newest Mig 21 series a/c's and also ignore that f7pg are nothing but license produced chinese mig21's.

T37 tweet 1957, happy now? btw 1959 and 1961 are decades apart, aren't they... the fact is you just want to feed your ego by stating IAF operates old planes, on the same hand you want to ignore the fact that BVR capable Mig 21 Bisons are the newest Mig 21 series a/c's and also ignore that f7pg are nothing but license produced chinese mig21's.

But the T-37 with the Pakistan Air Force is a training aircraft and not a combat aircraft like the Mig-21 from the 1950s?

Ok, Mig 21s can easily be replaced by the LCA which will perform well as a point defence fighter. But what about the Mig 27s???

I doubt that we will have 80 Rafales by then...

Number of darin-3 jaguars is increasing,rest are covered by mmrca.Mig-21 will be covered by su-30 mki and lca.

But the T-37 with the Pakistan Air Force is a training aircraft and not a combat aircraft like the Mig-21 from the 1950s?

Is there any difference between 1959 and 1961,just 2 yrs.Both mirage-3 and mig-21 are very very old.
Also PAF operates 188 f-7 skybolt which is souped up chinese mig-21.
PAF operates 150+ mirage-3 and 5 plus 188 f-7,so they too have a lot of heavy lifting to do in replacing obsolete aircarft.Jf-17 is good start.

it's useless engaging people like you in any conversation, yes mig 21 were introduced in 1959, and there derivative will continue to provide us with service till 2019. thanks

Is there any difference between 1959 and 1961,just 2 yrs.Both mirage-3 and mig-21 are very very old.
Also PAF operates 188 f-7 skybolt which is souped up chinese mig-21.
PAF operates 150+ mirage-3 and 5 plus 188 f-7,so they too have a lot of heavy lifting to do in replacing obsolete aircarft.Jf-17 is good start.
objective of the post is not to develop any discourse but to point at "my daddy stronger".

I don't know why you guys are getting all worked up about it. I mean, there's no shame if India is flying combat aircraft that were first introduced in 1959, it's just that I was surprised that India with it's $46 billion military budget was still flying 54 year old combat aircraft when even Pakistan doesn't!

MKIs replace the bulk of the Mig 27s, after they replaced the Mig 23 now. Since they all have the same baseline weapons, that comes in handy too, but depending on the new squadron placements, some will also be replaced by Rafale. The squadron at the Hashimara AFS for example is said to be replaced by Rafales.

What does IAF do with its retired fleet of aircraft? Do we have anything like the Davis-Monthan AFB or the RAF Shawbury? Does IAF still have those Spitfires and Hawker Tempests, mothballed somewhere?

India still flies Mig-21s?

8085312726_d5efeaf655.jpg

These birds were first introduced in 1959! I thought India had a $46 billion military budget or something?

India might as well ask DRDO to put wings on riskshaws and induct them into the Indian Air Force. Anything's better than a Mig-21 Flying Coffin.

Even with Pakistan's humble military budget of only around $6.3 billion, Pakistan Air Force does not fly any aircraft today that was introduced in the 1950s. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Do PAF not fly Mig 21 (J-7)? :what:

So what do u suggest is the expected time of deliveries of FGFA or PAKFA for India n don't u think the first 1-2 of sq will come directly from Russia.

IMO HAL won't start rolling out FGFA anytime before 2020.:)

Deliveries of FGFA:

http://s1.directupload.net/images/130412/wgn47ef3.jpg

And no, we will produce them in India, only some components like the radar might be produced in Russia at the begining, but only the prototypes are meant to be produced in Russia.

@sancho, I doubt if MKI production line is completely going to be uprooted to accommodate FGFA PMF, most of MKI workcells will remain for MKI overhaul and upgrade. some hangars here and there would be upgraded for FGFA and indeed would affect MKI lines. But FGFA doesn't necessarily mean end of MKI.

Of course, especially since the FGFA production will start slowly anyway, but no other MKIs will be build on that lines anymore, that is for sure. FGFA will take over most of the prime MKI duties anyway and with Rafale and LCA coming in on the other side, that is certain.

As far as sqdn strength is concerned, I will sit this one out. :)

Squadron strenght has no relation to FGFA, since the aim of 42 will be reached by 2022 with the other fighters anyway and even if an increase would be needed, it would be LCAs or Rafales.

I was just messin wid ya.... Mig29 all da way BOSS!!!!!!

I know, but honestly I would take the F16 over the Mig anytime, especially in combo with the MKI. There is hardly any better combo of 2 balanced multi role fighters, that still have very clear differences in roles. The perfect hi / lo mix imo!

What does IAF do with its retired fleet of aircraft? Do we have anything like the Davis-Monthan AFB or the RAW Shawbury? Does IAF still have those Spitfires and Hawker Tempests, mothballed somewhere?

Good question, since I'm not living in India too, I can't tell you that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deliveries of FGFA:

http://s1.directupload.net/images/130412/wgn47ef3.jpg

And no, we will produce them in India, only some components like the radar might be produced in Russia at the begining, but only the prototypes are meant to be produced in Russia.

Of course, especially since the FGFA production will start slowly anyway, but no other MKIs will be build on that lines anymore, that is for sure. FGFA will take over most of the prime MKI duties anyway and with Rafale and LCA coming in on the other side, that is certain.

Squadron strenght has no relation to FGFA, since the aim of 42 will be reached by 2022 with the other fighters anyway and even if an increase would be needed, it would be LCAs or Rafales.

I know, but honestly I would take the F16 over the Mig anytime, especially in combo with the MKI. There is hardly any better combo of 2 balanced multi role fighters, that still have very clear differences in roles. The perfect hi / lo mix imo!

under the skin both MKI and M29 UPG are out and out air sup fighter...I have a personal liking towards air sup fighters and for the the immediate threat perception for IAF, nothing 25 years ago nothing came close to dogfighting ability of Mig29 (except the su27 and f15). Agreed f16 had multirole abilities, but for me even today nothing comes close to IAF mig29 air sup strength in the immediate theater.

I have a heavy inkling to give you a post dated "i told you so " card on the MKI's numbers :)

I am not aware of any Mig-21s in Pakistan Air Force. I am aware of the J-7 combat aircraft of Pakistan Air Force which was first introduced in 1966. :undecided:

J-7 is just renamed mig 21.

The Chengdu Jian-7 (Chinese: 歼-7; export versions F-7) is a People's Republic of China license-built version[1] of the Soviet Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21.

Hell, even US uses aircraft introduced in 50s (B-52), and would continue to do so till 2040!

I am not aware of any Mig-21s in Pakistan Air Force. I am aware of the J-7 combat aircraft of Pakistan Air Force which was first introduced in 1966. :undecided:

SIR, Chengdu J-7s is the Chinese name for Mig-21s, Next time when you come to troll, please have complete facts with you..........

is a People's Republic of China license-built version[1] of the Soviet Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chengdu_J-7

& as a ratio they form the backbone of the PAF, which is not the case with Indian Mig-21s as Sukhoi-30MKIs have taken up that role.

Back
Top Bottom